Start by marking “Abraham Kuyper: A Short and Personal Introduction” as Want to Read:
Abraham Kuyper: A Short and Personal Introduction

Abraham Kuyper: A Short and Personal Introduction

Richard Mouw was first drawn to Abraham Kuyper’s writings about public life in the turbulent 1960s. As he struggled to find the right Christian stance toward big social issues such as the civil rights movement and the Vietnam War, Mouw discovered Kuyper’s Lectures on Calvinism — and, with it, a robust vision of active Christian involvement in public life that has guided ...more
Published June 10th 2011 by Eerdmans (first published May 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Abraham Kuyper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abraham Kuyper

Jonathan Hiskes
Sep 02, 2013 Jonathan Hiskes rated it it was ok
For a book promising a "personal" introduction to Kuyper, this offers very little of Kuyper's life or his influence on the author's life. Instead, it's a not-quite-systematic overview of Kuyper's theology. Mouw delivers on the "short" part of the promise, though I would have liked more stories about this theologian-statesman who influence so many of the institutions in which I grew up. Also, I'm pretty sure I was the only soccer fan reading this on the bus to the Sounders/Timbers match last ...more
JM
Oct 27, 2015 JM rated it really liked it
Beautiful and winsome introduction to Kuyper's political and cultural thought. While the title is a little misleading- it is not much of an introduction to his life- the book is a great on ramp to the discussion of Kuyperian ideas.
Jacob Aitken
As far as introductions to neo-Calvinism go, this is the most lucid. Prof Mouw goes beyond the standard "take every square inch" models of Neo-Calvinism and asks us to reflect on what it means to be created for many-ness.

His chapter on “Filling the Earth” is standard Kuyperian treatment, so I won’t spend much time on it here. His chapter “Celebrating Many-ness” was pure gold. Contrary to state-church claims, the church of Christ doesn’t depend on only one form and that being manifested in a nati
Ryan
Tim Hoiland
Jul 19, 2013 Tim Hoiland rated it it was amazing
Abraham Kuyper: A Short and Personal Introduction (Eerdmans) really is both short and personal. The first half is an overview of Kuyper’s thought on a number of issues related to theology and culture, and the second half is a sort of appropriation of that thinking for the twenty-first century. Mouw focuses on the parts of Kuyper’s thinking that have meant the most to him and that, in his view, have the most relevance for today’s reader.

Among the ideas Kuyper is most well known for is what is cal
Jeff
Jun 14, 2016 Jeff rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful little book on what might be described as the missional thinking of Abraham Kuyper. The author has put together a short introduction to Kuyper's theology and thinking on culture and his own ideas of why and how Kuyper's thought might be important for Christians in the 21st Century. Kuyper is probably best known for his quote, "There is not a square inch in the whole domain of our human existence over which Christ, who is sovereign over all, does not cry, 'Mine!'" This book is ...more
James
Sep 14, 2014 James rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
As the title says, this is a very brief introduction to the thought of Abraham Kuyper. However, Mouw especially emphasizes Kuyper's political and social thought.

This was an enjoyable and quick read allowing one to become familiar with this influential Calvinist's thought. But Mouw makes the case throughout that current evangelicals can learn much from Kuyper regarding how to be Christian in a pluralistic culture, especially how to interact with the political and 'secular' facets of modern life.

A
vittore paleni
Oct 22, 2013 vittore paleni rated it really liked it
This is a great introduction to Kyper's thought. It hits all the right points and does it in a fashion that makes it difficult to put down. I wish, however, that the author would develop his themes a bit more. Every time he got on the roll, he wrapped up the chapter. This might be a compliment to the authors writing just as much as a critique of his scantiness. Thus, perhaps the book was too short at some points.

Anyone wishing to get acquainted with the life and thought of Kyper should pick up
Rose
Dec 31, 2015 Rose rated it really liked it
I taught this in an introduction to culture/ worldview class. The book was required teaching. I really liked it. My students (first semester freshmen) did not. They overwhelmingly thought that it was too boring and didn't get it. I thought it was straightforward and insightful. I found that students needed more hand holding to get through it than I anticipated (not a critique of the book or writing--more a critique of my students' interest and ability to engage). I think it is important to ...more
David
Jul 12, 2011 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reformed, biography
Richard Mouw has done us a great service in writing this enjoyable and palatable book. It is a must read for those who wrestle with the question what does Christianity have to do with life outside the church? Rarely do you find a book on Abraham Kuyper that is so readable and relevant to our world today. Mouw gives us a "best of Kuyper" in this book, simplifying concepts and doctrines which have been the topic of tomes. In the short hours that it takes to read this book, you will find yourself ...more
Jeremy
Apr 08, 2012 Jeremy rated it really liked it
The first half of the book on Kuyper's life and world views was the most helpful part of the book. He does a good job of giving a basic introduction to the world of Abraham Kuyper without leaving the study as a look into the past, but rather seeking to show how we may be better for our study of it - all for the sale of the Gospel.
Jordan J. Andlovec
Jul 13, 2015 Jordan J. Andlovec rated it liked it
Probably the best introduction to Kuyper's life and thought out there. Not only are major ideas like Sphere Sovereignty covered, but also important themes like the antithesis, common grace, and the rocky topic of race in Kuyperian thought. Highly recommended if you don't want to wade through Bratt's nearly 500-page biography (which I will be tackling next).
Chuck Bonadies
Jul 07, 2012 Chuck Bonadies rated it it was amazing
Although I am not a neo-calvinist, Kuyper has made a major contribution to my understanding of both the Bible and the world. This book is a nice compliment to Al Wolter's Creation Regained. Mouw does a good job explaining Sphere Sovereignty. The author also does well to show where Kuyper's ideas may be sharpened.

CB
Brian
Oct 14, 2013 Brian rated it it was ok
This is not a traditional biography; more of an opportunity for the author to express his own take on Kuyper's thought. That's fine, but not what I expected, and it was a disappointing summary at that.
Justin Woodall
Jan 10, 2013 Justin Woodall rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
This was a good introduction to the life and thought of Kuyper. It is short and incredibly diverse. That was both it's strength and weakness. It was long enough to include nearly every aspect of Kuyper's thoughts, but so short it left you wanting more. A lot more.
Jul 15, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Be forewarned, this is not a biography on Abraham "Mad Dog" Kuyper, like I originally thought. Instead, it is a Kuyperian Calvinism and how it is applicable today. Still very good, but I was a little disappointed to not read an excellent biography on Mad Dog.
Nate Walker
Mar 25, 2013 Nate Walker rated it liked it
Enjoyed. Nice introduction, though Kuypers doctrinal convictions were only selectively highlighted, Mouw admits this was a distinctly personal introduction.
Kevin Lum
May 21, 2014 Kevin Lum rated it it was amazing
Excellent overview of Kuyper in a short and concise manner. Highly recommended for anyone who wants an intro into Kuyper's life and thought.
Lori
Jan 26, 2014 Lori rated it really liked it
Quick introduction to Kuyperian concepts by Mouw, who knows what he's talking about, but tones down the scholar-language to make the book very accessible to the layman. Quick read.
Kirk
Apr 18, 2014 Kirk rated it really liked it
Solid primer for Abraham Kuyper and his thinking. Reading this and a biography on Kuyper would be great prep for diving into his own work.
Sean
Nov 18, 2012 Sean rated it really liked it
Honest and holistic presentation of Kuyper's thought, with valuable thoughts on bringing Kuyper into the 21st century.
Tyler Hurst
Mar 25, 2016 Tyler Hurst rated it really liked it
Kuyper is an interesting character and he is making a comeback in terms of theological and sociological interest. Mouw, Marsden, and Hunter all utilize him in their recent works.
Kyle Hatchett
Kyle Hatchett rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2015
Shawn Hofing
Shawn Hofing rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2013
Mark Spence
Mark Spence rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2013
James Duane Nickel
James Duane Nickel rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Jon Trainer
Jon Trainer rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2015
Wyatt Houtz
Wyatt Houtz rated it it was ok
Jan 19, 2013
David
David rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2011
Shaun Liu
Oct 03, 2015 Shaun Liu rated it really liked it
Good overview of Kuyper's theology, especially in regards to theology of culture
« previous 1 3 next »
Richard John Mouw is a theologian and philosopher. He held the position of President at Fuller Theological Seminary for 20 years (1993-2013), and continues to hold the post of Professor of Faith and Public Life.
More about Richard J. Mouw...