Start by marking “Ginnie and Geneva” as Want to Read:
Ginnie and Geneva

Ginnie and Geneva (Ginnie and Geneva #1)

When shy Ginnie moves and enrolls at a new school she is unnerved by outspoken and lively Geneva but eventually - and with the help of a winsome cat - they become best friends.
Published June 1st 1988 by Puffin Books (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Ginnie and Geneva, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ginnie and Geneva

Wendy Darling
Reread for the umpteenth time, because I'm wretchedly ill and in need of a comfort read. This is the coziest book, filled with hikes in the snowy woods, fudge-making, cats, sweet gingham dresses, mothers who greet you after school with fresh chocolate cake, and skating parties. I wish Catherine Woolley's books were still in print and better known; if you enjoy the Betsy-Tacy or The Moffats books and old-fashioned stories about friendships and growing up, Woolley's two middle grade series are def ...more
Lisa Mcbroom
When I was a child I read the whole "Ginnie" series. Ginnie Fellowes is a young girl who has been homeschooled. When her parents settle in a small surburban town, Ginnie is put into public school. There her circle of friends include mischevious Geneva, shy quiet Anna, twins Leonard and Lucy and bookish Peter. A most delightful series of books that harkens to a more innocent time.
Bridget
Jul 23, 2010 Bridget rated it really liked it
My mom made me remove these books from my room last night. She also made me read them when I was young...very young. I distinctly remember getting very upset in kindergarten when the librarian wouldn't let me take out Catherine Wooley books--They were, of course, "too hard" for me...
Becky
Apr 19, 2012 Becky rated it it was amazing
This was my absolute favorite book as a kid. My mom and I would read it constantly and die laughing at the mixed up happenings of Ginnie and her crazy friend Geneva.
Jenn
Jul 27, 2014 Jenn rated it really liked it
I love books that give insight into girls' lives - especially during the 1940s-1960s.
Jenny
Oct 02, 2015 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this series when I was younger, and recently read book #1 again when I found it in my parents' shed. It brought back so many memories and feelings! I love how books, especially childhood books, can do that. This book isn't mind blowing or profound, it is just cute and cozy and captures so many moments of girlhood that are easily forgotten (starting out at a new school, making friends, trying new things, etc.). I can't wait to introduce my own baby girl to them one day!
Elizabeth SaFleur
Jan 06, 2015 Elizabeth SaFleur rated it it was amazing
Shelves: saved-my-life
OMG, I can't believe I found this beloved book from my childhood. It says it was published in 1989. But, I read this back in the 1970s. I selected 'finished" in 1974, but honestly I don't recall the year. I just remember it being a beautiful story of friendship told in a far simpler time. It was a great companion during a long, lonely summer in the country.
Betsy
Mar 14, 2013 Betsy rated it liked it
I read this series when I was in elementary school. My mom said she liked them when she was little so I picked them up. I remember really liking them, too. Rereading this first book, I have no recollection of the story at all. None of it seemed familiar. It was still a cute story, though. Definitely written in another time.
Carolyn
May 05, 2013 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
I read this series over and over as a kid and recently discovered that our library had it. Reading it again, to Lizzy this time, made me nostalgic for the wholesome values of the 1950's. It made Lizzy want to wear dresses with ruffles skirts. We've got some summer sewing cut out for us:)
Christina
May 07, 2012 Christina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-christina
This is one of my favorite childhood book series, which I've recently re-collected and have been re-reading. A great series for girls 7-10.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I read several of the books in this series when I was a kid. I always liked the name Geneva after this one.
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2008
Jane Eyre
May 10, 2015 Jane Eyre rated it it was amazing
A book from my childhood. An old treasure!
Robert Stewart
Robert Stewart rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2013
Betsy
Betsy rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2007
S.
S. rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
Laurie
Laurie rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2013
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2009
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2011
Sherry Chiger
Sherry Chiger rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2008
Margo
Margo rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2013
Zahara
Zahara rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2016
Jane Eyre
Jane Eyre rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Cecilia
Cecilia rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2015
Mariah
Mariah rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2011
Reader66
Reader66 rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2015
Trish
Trish rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2012
Bree Flea
Bree Flea rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2010
Philatelia
Philatelia rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
What's The Name o...: Genevieve and Gwendolyn or Geneva and Gretchen? [s] 7 62 Nov 15, 2011 04:59PM
  • Betsy and Billy
  • The Keeping Days (Keeping Days, #1)
  • Honestly, Katie John!
  • Winter Cottage
  • Amy Moves In
  • The Racketty-Packetty House
  • Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley, #3)
  • The Best-Loved Doll
  • The Turret (The Rescuers, #3)
  • A Room Made of Windows
  • The Children on the Top Floor
  • Practically Seventeen (Tobey Heydon, #1)
  • The Adventures of Old Man Coyote
  • Beany Malone
  • More All-of-a-Kind Family (All-of-a-Kind Family, #2)
A prolific writer of over eighty books, Catherine Woolley published so many children's books that her publisher recommended using a pen name for some of her works. Ms. Woolley's Ginnie Fellows series was and continues to be a reader favorite across generations.

Pen name: Jane Thayer.
More about Catherine Woolley...

Ginnie and Geneva (10 books)
  • Ginnie Joins In (Ginnie and Geneva, #2)
  • Ginnie and the New Girl (Ginnie and Geneva, #3)
  • Ginnie And The Mystery House (Ginnie and Geneva, #4)
  • Ginnie's Baby-Sitting Business (Ginnie and Geneva, #5)
  • Ginnie and the Cooking Contest (Ginnie and Geneva, #6)
  • Ginnie and the Wedding Bells (Ginnie and Geneva, #7)
  • Ginnie and the Mystery Doll (Ginnie and Geneva, #8)
  • Ginnie And The Mystery Cat (Ginnie and Geneva, #9)
  • Ginnie and the Mystery Light (Ginnie and Geneva, #10)