Start by marking “Ginnie and Geneva” as Want to Read:
Ginnie and Geneva

Ginnie and Geneva

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  13 reviews
When shy Ginnie moves and enrolls at a new school she is unnerved by outspoken and lively Geneva but eventually - and with the help of a winsome cat - they become best friends.
Published June 1st 1988 by Puffin Books (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Ginnie and Geneva, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ginnie and Geneva

Monica!
I wish I had read this book as a child, around the time I was reading The Bobbsey Twins and Honey Bunch, so that I could have approached with a wide-eyed sort of love, instead of the way I approach things now, which is all jaded and bitter and full of preconceived notions about 1940s-era gender stereotypes.

I tried to set that aside, though, and focus on the book in the spirit of which it was written.

With that in mind, we have: Skating on ponds! Stamp collections! Girls dressed in rose-colored
Cheryl
Ah, so sweet and nostalgic. I would have loved these adventurous, spunky, friendly, but sometimes almost naughty girls when I was their age. I'm glad I read this but I'm not sure how hard I'll look for more in the series - depends on how hard they are to find I guess. I really did love how they stand up for what they want and what they think is right, even to teachers, even to boys!
Lisa Mcbroom
When I was a child I read the whole "Ginnie" series. Ginnie Fellowes is a young girl who has been homeschooled. When her parents settle in a small surburban town, Ginnie is put into public school. There her circle of friends include mischevious Geneva, shy quiet Anna, twins Leonard and Lucy and bookish Peter. A most delightful series of books that harkens to a more innocent time.
Bridget
My mom made me remove these books from my room last night. She also made me read them when I was young...very young. I distinctly remember getting very upset in kindergarten when the librarian wouldn't let me take out Catherine Wooley books--They were, of course, "too hard" for me...
Becky
This was my absolute favorite book as a kid. My mom and I would read it constantly and die laughing at the mixed up happenings of Ginnie and her crazy friend Geneva.
Jenn
I love books that give insight into girls' lives - especially during the 1940s-1960s.
Betsy
I read this series when I was in elementary school. My mom said she liked them when she was little so I picked them up. I remember really liking them, too. Rereading this first book, I have no recollection of the story at all. None of it seemed familiar. It was still a cute story, though. Definitely written in another time.
Carolyn
I read this series over and over as a kid and recently discovered that our library had it. Reading it again, to Lizzy this time, made me nostalgic for the wholesome values of the 1950's. It made Lizzy want to wear dresses with ruffles skirts. We've got some summer sewing cut out for us:)
Christina
This is one of my favorite childhood book series, which I've recently re-collected and have been re-reading. A great series for girls 7-10.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I read several of the books in this series when I was a kid. I always liked the name Geneva after this one.
Dina
On page 80 of this book I started tonight. It's such a sweet and heartwarming story so far! :)
Kara
Sm not sure why I loved this book so much in the 5th grade but I loved it
Georgia Hilliard
Read this series in elementary school and loved them all.
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Oct 09, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Bridget Duran
Bridget Duran marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Bea
Bea marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Muffy
Muffy marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Elizabeth Munson
Elizabeth Munson marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
What's The Name o...: Genevieve and Gwendolyn or Geneva and Gretchen? [s] 7 57 Nov 15, 2011 04:59PM
A prolific writer of over eighty books, Catherine Woolley published so many children's books that her publisher recommended using a pen name for some of her works. Ms. Woolley's Ginnie Fellows series was and continues to be a reader favorite across generations.

Pen name: Jane Thayer.
More about Catherine Woolley...
A Room for Cathy Ginnie's Baby-Sitting Business Ginnie and the Cooking Contest Ginnie and the Mystery Doll Ginnie And The New Girl