Start by marking “Lastborn (The Sixth Cycle)” as Want to Read:
Lastborn (The Sixth Cycle)

Lastborn (The Sixth Cycle)

2.71 of 5 stars 2.71  ·  rating details  ·  7 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The first installment of the Sixth Cycle series.

Nara-Ya is a pugnacious adolescent girl on the run from a powerful sorceress. Fate lands her in the company of her polar opposite, the soft-spoken Donovan Brennan, who is simultaneously struggling to lead a Resistance movement, regain a throne for a wronged King, and prevent a war between the land he lives in and the land of
ebook
Published July 7th 2011 (first published July 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Lastborn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lastborn

Michelle
The book, Lastborn, chronicles the lives of two very different people: Black Wolf (aka Donovan Banning) who strongly believes in both justice and non-violent protest, and Nara-Ya (aka Ayuma), a young woman whose murderous temper provokes her into acts of cold-blooded aggression. In a very complex series of events, these two meet and band together to save their land from an evil witch and a despotic king.

The writing in Lastborn is some of the best I've seen in an indie novel. Not only is the lang
Lyrical
Here’s one for those of you who like complex plots. Lastborn is a high fantasy novel crammed with diverse cultures, political unrest and interesting characters – plenty of material for a thoroughly engaging story and Rachel Forde does not fail to provide.

I have to say, I love a story that surprises me, gives me something new and refreshing to chew on and you’d be hard pressed to find a character more refreshing than Ayuma, the heroine of Lastborn. At first glance, she seems like quite a normal c
A Book Vacation
This story had a very interesting concept, but I personally found it a bit slow and hard to follow. There are many characters introduced throughout the novel, and I had a hard time keeping them all straight, especially the more minor ones. Likewise, the plot tended to shift around a bit, from a huge, epic battle where Nara-Ya shows her true colors, to months of the characters sitting around doing nothing but waiting. And so, the pacing would speed up and slow down constantly, which was difficult ...more
Ron
You know when you go into a book expecting something good and somehow the result turns out to be just plain amazing? That’s what happened with Lastborn: the blurb was promising, but the book? It blew me away!

First off, I loved the main characters, and I think you’ll like them too. They are well developed, in that we can see the way they change as a consequence of their actions, and how their actions depend on where they are mentally at the moment – they are coherent in their progression, and it’
L.E.Olteano
Originally posted on Sept 27, 2012 on Butterfly-o-Meter Books:

Fluttering Thoughts:

World Building: Confusing. Fantasy world going on, but I didn't feel a clear sense and direction for the settings and the places the author took us to. Some urban settings, sort of industrial revolution going on, too.
Characters: Interesting as concepts, but somehow unfinished through story action. I didn't feel much from or for them. They didn't evoke any feelings, though the circumstances were built for it.
Plot: C
 ♥♥Mari♥♥
♥♥Mari♥♥ marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2011