Start by marking “Maiden Bride” as Want to Read:
Maiden Bride

Maiden Bride (The de Lacis #2)

Gillian Haxham Soon Learned Her New Lord Was More Wedded To Revenge Than To Her

For Nicholas de Laci had sworn to exact payment for the sins of her uncle. Why, then, did his eyes belie his words, speaking naught of retribution--but promising nights of love?

Fate had sent Nicholas de Laci the perfect bride to fill the aching need in his soul. With her tainted blood, Gillian H
Published July 15th 2011 by Harlequin Treasury-Harlequin Historicals 90s (first published September 1st 1996)

Celestine
Feb 03, 2017 Celestine rated it it was ok
It is not my habit to write a review for a book that I rate two stars, but I felt the author's spoiler was worth noting. I absolutely ADORED book one, The Devil's Lady. Deborah Simmons gives away every bit of the suspense in that book in the opening pages of this sequel. My advice: READ BOOK ONE FIRST!!!!!

Book source: Purchased.

MelissaB
Oct 29, 2008 MelissaB rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to MelissaB by: Agent Scully from Amazon
Nicolas de Laci has lived for revenge against his enemy Baron Hexman since the Baron left him to die in the East during the Crusades. Unfortunately, Hexman was killed by Nicolas's brother-in-low so he never got his revenge. When Nicolas hears that Hexman has a niece, he decides to marry her to enact his revenge since the King has decreed it anyway.

Gillian Hexman has lived at a convent for years. Her entire family died when she was younger and she spent some time on the streets before eventually
KatieV
Enjoyable, but fairly predictable. There was zero tension on my part in wondering if he'd ever actually enact vengeance on the h or do anything other than grouse and grumble. It was obvious from the minute he laid eyes on her that he would do nothing, but struggle against his lust/feelings.

Also, the constant bickering and hot/cold relationship got a bit tedious toward the middle. I like that the h stood up for herself, but them throwing things at each other and screeching in the great hall was a
Holly
Maiden Bride by Deborah Simmons starts out with Nicholas de Laci brooding over the injustices done to him. His brother in law Piers, had stolen the vengeance he had sought against Lord Hexham and now he feels for and lives for nothing. Until the king sends a royal decree that he is to marry the last Hexham heir, Lady Gillian who has been living in genteel poverty in a nunnery. Gillian's uncle had escaped Nicholas' vengeance but now he has the last Hexham to sate that desire. As he journeys to he ...more
Chy
Jun 29, 2012 Chy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so, I read it because it involved the brother of the woman in The Devil's Bride. And it was...painful in places.

But you know who freaking saved it? Darius. Now, where the hell's the book where he's the hero?
Lulu
5 twinkling stars. Heh. :)
It's the second book I've read from the author and I'm completely loving her writing style!

The hero is supposedly hell-bent on revenge but for some reason, he can't do anything to hurt the heroine. Hmm.... ^_^ Nicholas fell for the heroine completely as he began to get to know her better. Aww. I love the scene when Gillian was bedridden. It showed that despite Nicholas' rough and gruff exterior, he's a real sweetie and a big softy inside. He was willing to give up o
P.
Oct 15, 2016 P. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Occasionally hilarious especially the beginning. I liked Nick, [the hero] despite his bitter ways, and he's the unintentionally funny one here. The plot does meander, there's a lot of filler, and you may get a bit bored by the end as I did - but it's happy ever after one, because Nick is never bitter no more.
BookClinger
Sep 16, 2013 BookClinger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I read this novel just because I loved the first novel in the series, but I wasn't particularly looking forward to it. However, I was not disappointed one bit! In fact, I like the Maiden Bride even more than the Devil's Lady.

Here we have a shell of a man at the beginning of the novel that slowly learns how to live again. The journey with his wife transforms him from a warrior knight that can be called a cold-hearted evil brute to a man that knows the value of happiness, love, and family. The lo
Lily
Jul 12, 2015 Lily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This second de Laci novel was a great sequel to the first one. I loved reading Nicholas' story and knew he was going to be a tortured character filled with revenge from book 1. Despite his thirst for revenge and his lashing out at everyone around him, Nicholas meets his match in Gillian. It is entertaining to see them go head to head, especially in the bedroom! With all the upheaval in this plot, it definitely held my attention and I found myself very involved with the characters. There was neve ...more
JJH--Judy
I enjoyed this one. I was in the mood for a "can't have my revenge on who I want, so I'll take it it on his innocent relative, who I will NOT develop feelings for--oops!" Great alpha male lead character--very moody and gruff. Heroine is strong willed and does not cower. I enjoyed the development of the relationship, and I thought the H was kind of of amusing with this possessiveness of the h(even if he didn't want to acknowledge or understand why he was acting this way). I thought the secondary ...more
Laura Simmons
Nov 27, 2016 Laura Simmons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! This was a great follow-up to The Devil's Lady (I think that was the name of the first book with Aisley and Piers). Nicholas was a real pain in the ass and not likable, however, I enjoy the tortured hero forced marriage storyline, and this one did not disappoint. They both fall deeply in love with each other, but their combined stubborn and combative personalities keeps them from recognizing it. Nicholas redeemed himself when he took care of Gillian night and day when she became deathl ...more
Sammy
3.5 enjoyed the Banter - fiery Romance story

I wanted to read story, which was not always on edge , neither too sweet ... henceforth chosing this one , the perfect balance ... Loved the Love-hate relationship...and the heated scenes... and the tender moments... and to have glimpse of my fav couple from first book.

Netanella
I read this book in two days - I was completely caught up in Nicholas's obsession with revenge on the niece of his enemy, and Gillian's ability to withstand his ranting and raving and frothing at the mouth with her own wit and humor. Nicholas is definitely an overbearing ass, and it seems a little difficult to understand why these two fall in love, but fall they do, and hard - which was fun to watch. Very cool book.
Bookabulary
Oct 08, 2013 Bookabulary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really couldn't blame Nicholas de Laci if he was consumed by revenge the way he was. He was left wounded in the Holy Land when he thought help had arrived in the form of Hexham, lord of the neighboring lands that bordered his England home. But he was sadly mistaken as he was dragged into the desert sun and was left for dead under the Syrian sun.

Read full review on Bookabulary.
Roub
Jul 06, 2013 Roub rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
for me it was a definite 5 star.i really enjoyed the plot, the characters, the sex everything about it !! it had very funny times..one especially which was extremely humourous. but towards the very end i got bored..wid dat part where her supposed brother returned..dats where the book lost one star 4 me. else dunt miss it, so very entertaining;) a keeper
Arya
This book... just did not make sense.

Conflicts were not ever really resolved.
Hinted plot-lines were not followed through with.
There might have been an "Epilogue" but there was no sense of closure.
The characters' relationship and actions did not always make sense.

I am actually a little angry at this book for not making much sense.
K
Apr 27, 2011 K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story of Nicholas de Laci and Gillian Hexham. He swore to exact payment for the sins of her uncle. King Edward decreed that he marry Gilliam, his enemy's only living relative. only way to get his revenge would be to take out out on her, but things changed down the road for both of them.
sequel to the Devil's Lady#241.
Nickcole
This book had me from the start. How could a man want to marry his enemy's neiece just to gain revenge. I really loved his strong character and her even stronger spirit. This will be a book a i read over and over again.
Jennifer Marie
When you are visiting the parents and need something to read and you find a stack of old romance books someone gave you for free that never really interested you....until you have nothing on hand to read ;)
Widala
Jun 18, 2015 Widala rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute read, a bit dragged in the middle. It's funny to see Nicholas trying to be cruel and scary when he really didn't have it in him. Wish there were more drama than just Gillian and Nick yelling at each other.
Arlenis
Sep 13, 2014 Arlenis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A pesar de que la traducción estuvo bastante mal y con muchos errores, la historia como tal estuvo bien. Le falto mucho. El desenlace del misterio fue extremadamente apresurado. En un segundo ya todo estaba resuelto. Lindo epilogo. Pero eso es todo. No puedo darle mas.
Maggie
Sep 25, 2011 Maggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Has an infuriating possessive yet adorable hero and a strong heroine who isn't afraid to stand up to him and call him on his often unreasonable demands. Worked for me.
Tara
Oct 23, 2011 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read for me (like 5 times).
Martha
The very same opinion as Melanie!
Vera Hupertz
Jan 29, 2017 Vera Hupertz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An angry romance

Liked it because it felt like the plots and characters were true to what I think of those times. The need for revenge, women as chattel,etc.
Terri
I am not crazy about this book . Uncomfort about it.
Melanie
An okay read. The characters are annoying with the inner monologues and the love between them doesn't really feel all that real. Entertaining at some instances. Hence 3 stars
WritingMood
Sep 22, 2011 WritingMood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary23nm
A read for those who want something light and fluffy, without too much angst or controversial happenings.
Yuly Maritza Davila Leon
Yuly Maritza Davila Leon rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
  • Lie Down In Roses
  • The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • The Overlord's Bride (Warrior, #13)
  • Never Call It Love
  • The Brides of Christmas (Includes Warrior, #11; de Burgh, #3.5)
  • The Counterfeit Marriage
  • The Lily And The Sword (Medieval, #1)
  • His Enemy's Daughter
  • A Knight's Honor
  • The Devil's Arms
  • The Scotsman
  • Firestorm (Bragg Saga, #2)
  • Keeper of the Dream
  • Always Mine (The Blackthorn Trilogy #1)
  • The Fire of Spring
  • Purchased for Revenge
  • Comparative Strangers
Deborah Simmons is the author of twenty-five historical romances and novellas, published by Avon, Berkley, and Harlequin.

A native midwesterner, Simmons graduated cum laude from Wittenberg University and was a journalist before turning to fiction. Her first book, Heart's Masquerade, was published by Avon in 1989 and was followed by a number of Harlequin Historicals, including a USA Today Bestsellin
More about Deborah Simmons...

The de Lacis (2 books)
  • The Devil's Lady (de Laci, #1)