Start by marking “Bathwater's Hot” as Want to Read:
Bathwater's Hot

Bathwater's Hot (The Nursery Collection)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  22 reviews
A little girl discovers that all things have an opposite.
Published April 9th 2001 by Walker Books Ltd (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Bathwater's Hot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bathwater's Hot

Kianna Buckner
"Batherwater's Hot" by Shirley Hughes a brother and sister where the boy was a baby and the girl was the older sister. The author just used the two of them to explain the difference of things. For example, one difference was "The red light says "stop" and the green light says "go".

I loved how the illustrator made the pictures with good detail. I think illustrator told more of the story with the pictures than the author. I also like how the illustrator showed the differences on each page. For exa
Andy Blundell
A truly wonderful book perfect for reading with a small child and a particular favourite of mine for reading with my daughter when she was little. The illustrations are delightful. Favourite bit - "whisper very quietly and SHOUT OUT LOUD"
Susan
Oh how I love Shirley Hughes - and this one no exception. Her entirely apt and lovely illustrations of family life (at least my family's sort of life)and her jouncy rhymes "some thngs you can throw away. Some are nice to keep. here's someone who is wide awake. Shhhh, he's fast asleep!" There is a life to her books I find lacking in a lot of the newer releases in picture books that seem rather too clever and kind of cold to me at times...old and old school, yup.
I wish I wish the book was BIGGER s
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A 1001 CBYMRBYGU.

Why isn’t Shirley Hughes on every shelf in every library in America? Her pictures are beautiful and her text is beautiful. Just perfect for kids and their parents and their preschool teachers who must read the same books over and over again.

Bathwater’s hot,
Seawater’s cold.
Ginger’s kittens are very young,
But Buster’s getting old.
Some things
you can
throw away.
Some are nice to keep.
Here’s someone
who is wide awake.
Shhh, he’s fast asleep!
Emma
Thank you, Shirley Hughes, for that wonderful picture captioned 'shhh, he's fast asleep'. You know, the one that shows the toddler curled up on his belly in the cot. My child is fascinated by this picture, and it helps me get his to bed every single time we read it.

Oh, he also loves the balloons. :)
Allison
Sep 16, 2011 Allison rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Toddlers & Up
Recommended to Allison by: 1001 CBYMRBYGU
Shelves: 1001-cbymrbygu
This is a great book for showing opposites and what kind behavior looks like. There are interactions between an older sibling and an infant, the child and pets, the child and both parents. It's a nice understated book that I wish I'd been aware of when my children were young.
Linda
I so love Shirley Hughes. She captures the young so well. I love this book of opposites because yes, there's the usual suspects - hot/cold, light/dark - but there's the more subtle like hard/soft, tease/help.
Tim
Another good one from Shirley Hughes. This one is simple and can either be read quite briskly bringing out the rhythm and rhyme or can be dawdled over and the lovely pictures talked about.
Nikki Trowbridge
This is my 2 year old sons favourite book - must be read every single night!!! He loves to yell "shout out loud!" And do the traffic lights page. Beautifully written for the very young
Beth Schwenker
One of my all time favorite children's books when I was a young one (pre and post kindergarten). Great to learn to read on and quick bedtime story for the tired parent. :-)
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
A cute little opposites book for the toddler age. Lovely illustrations with day to day activities that toddlers love to do. Stacking things, going for a walk. Lovely.
Simon
Love this book. I bought it in England and Lauren loved it. Now Lachlan does too.
Jen
I love shirley hughes, and I enjoyed it, but not as much as her other books.
Camilla
Weeding final.
I don't really know how to assess books for children this young.
Tanya
Read as part of a Shirley Hughes collection - loved the illustrations and text!
Melissa Beard
Just LOVE it!! Both girls would read it all day every day if they could!!
Charlotte
A clear and informational book of opposites. Detailed illustrations.
Ellee
Nice little book of opposites.
Tammy
Absolutely loved the illustrations!!
Melissa Squire
A beautiful book of opposites.
Mckinley
opposites in rhyme
Shannon
Dec 11, 2011 Shannon marked it as to-read
0-3
Jayne
Jayne marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Shirley Hughes is the illustrator of more than two hundred children’s books and has won many prestigious awards, including the Kate Greenaway Medal twice. She is the author-illustrator of DON'T WANT TO GO! and OLLY AND ME 1 2 3. She lives in London.
More about Shirley Hughes...
Dogger Alfie Gets in First Hero on a Bicycle Ella's Big Chance: A Jazz-Age Cinderella Alfie Gives a Hand