Start by marking “The Lost Women of Lost Lake (Jane Lawless, #19)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Women of Lost Lake (Jane Lawless, #19)

The Lost Women of Lost Lake (Jane Lawless #19)

Restaurateur and part-time P.I. Jane Lawless is taking some much-needed time off at her family's lodge when her best friend, Cordelia, arrives with news that Tess, one of their good friends, has taken a nasty fall and needs their help with rehearsals for a play that is set to open in a week. When Tess isn't on crutches, she helps run the Thunderhook Lodge, the premier reso ...more
Published September 27th 2011 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Women of Lost Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Women of Lost Lake

Alice
Sep 29, 2011 Alice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-suspense
I have always enjoyed Ellen Hart's character Jane Lawless. But this is by far the best one by Hart. An interesting change with a heterosexual married relationship dysfunctional to the point where the adolescent son wants to live with his two lesbian aunts. Of course, only one is his true aunt; the other one is the partner of his aunt. But even when one reads how his one aunt influenced his life and the list of great books that he read, because of his playwright aunt's influence, really brought t ...more
Liz
Jun 12, 2015 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ryan Mishap
Oct 17, 2015 Ryan Mishap rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime
Catching up with a series that I previously followed, prompted by Tracy looking her up again. This was a decent foray into the field: good setting, interesting characters, good background, and a second murder that logically included a lot of suspects. While our detective, Jane, deduced some things and ferreted out a couple others, she didn't actually solve it! The murderer revealed himself after showing up on the scene and (spoilers).

I should be more forgiving, but I am a big fan of the drawing
Monica
May 06, 2016 Monica rated it did not like it
This book tried hard to be something it was not. The author seemed to push hard to connect the lesbian relationships to the mystery that she was trying to write. I think it failed.

The editing was poor and the writing was mediocre. I felt the dialogue was for the most part adolescent. I had not read her previous mysteries, but this convinced me not to go near them. I don't know how she has won awards with this writing's lack of quality. Maybe it appeals to only a certain type of reader. I'm defi
Laura Salas
Feb 03, 2012 Laura Salas rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, mystery
Carl Brookins
Nov 11, 2011 Carl Brookins rated it really liked it
It is interesting how these things come in multiples. Libby Hellmann recently released a novel with its genesis in the riotous summer and fall of 1968. The Minnesota History Center has just opened an elaborate exhibit focused on 1968, and the History Theater in Saint Paul has mounted an original play, “1968, The year That Rocked The World.” And now here we have a powerful, emotionally intense novel by that excellent Minneapolis writer, Ellen Hart. It is a story of two women who are unable to div ...more
Kathleen Hagen
May 09, 2014 Kathleen Hagen rated it it was ok
The Women of Lost Lake, by Ellen Hart, b-plus, borrowed from the National Library Services for the Blind. It is my sorrow that none of Ellen Hart’s books have been commercially produced as commercial audio books. I’ve been able to read a couple which have been made available through the National Library Services for the Blind. This one is not one of the best Jane Lawless books, but it’s good fun reading. I have been lucky enough to reread it in the newly produced audible edition, produced by Aud ...more
Freyja Vanadis
Apr 02, 2012 Freyja Vanadis rated it did not like it
This is the last book in the Jane Lawless series (for now), the last book I own by Hart, and the last book I'll ever read by Hart. I can't begin to describe how disappointed I am in the way her writing has gone downhill the last few years. Her books are embarrassing, and this one is no exception. Judging from the way she has her teenage characters interact with each other, I doubt she's been around a teenager for a very long time (here's a hint, Ellen: they don't say "grody" any more. That went ...more
Lois Hecksel
Aug 01, 2016 Lois Hecksel rated it liked it
Too much appears contrived in The Lost Women of Lost Lake, so much so that they seem lost in multiple ways. The lesbian relationships had no apparent connection to the mystery/murders and it appeared the author was trying too hard to join them. The teens interactions/language/behaviors were unrealistic for the time period. The protagonist didn't solve the mystery... It's a fast read with some historical 1968 and Minnesota trivia.
Deena Scintilla
Jul 16, 2015 Deena Scintilla rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Thinking this was "chick-lit" which I usually don't like, I almost didn't buy it but the jacket made it sound interesting. It was & I read it in two days. I probably will read more from this author altho maybe it would be good to start closer to the beginning of this series instead of the end.
willowdog
Good ending
Susan Cabaniss
Sep 26, 2015 Susan Cabaniss rated it liked it
Meh...
Susan
Oct 29, 2011 Susan rated it liked it
Restaurant owner and sometimes private investigator Jane Lawless and her friend Cordelia go to a famous lake resort where their friend, playwright Tess, wife of the owner Jill, is recuperating from a sprained ankle. Jill's nephew Josh turns up, wanting to stay with the women and pursue his high school girlfriend Emily. But Emily has a secret, and so does Tess. A man is trying to identify two women he thinks are living in the small town, and that means big trouble.
Sharon
Dec 08, 2013 Sharon rated it it was ok
A Jane Lawless mystery. Jane and friend Cordeolia arrive at Lost Lake to help friend Tess who has fallen and needs help with the rehearsals for a community play. A stranger arrives who has old photos and questions which create tension for Tess. More tension as a friend of Tess's is killed and the questions pile up about who Tess and her friend really are/were and what did they do that has led to so much danger and bloodshed?
Wendy
Jun 05, 2012 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Suka
May 18, 2012 Suka rated it it was ok
I really hate it when I rate a book low, but I suppose the main reason I didn't like this book very much is that I didn't read any of the previous books in the Jane Lawless series. I was not especially enamored with any of the characters and I found the writing to be very choppy. I guess it might make more sense if I started from the beginning but I probably won't be searching out any others in the series.
Merceda
Jan 27, 2012 Merceda rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
This competent, plot-driven mystery by a Minnesotan is a very fast read. I read it in a few hours. Though it's Ellen Hart's 18th book, it was
the first book I'd read by her. The primary characteristics that set this series apart from other competent mystery series are its lesbian characters and Minnesota setting.
Lesbianfunworld Online
Part of a series, like 18th or something. Jane Lawless, you know. I give it a 3. That’s all I can remember about it. It wasn’t the best. It was okay. And when is the next one out? Do I sound needy and unappreciative? Hey, it's just a book, no big deal. I just want the next one too please :)
Diane
Jul 25, 2012 Diane added it
Ellen has been fun to follow over the years. She's wonderfully cryptic about Jane's vulnerabilities and Cordelia's a hoot. Simply entertaining and fun to read, Ellen has just gotten better and better.
Siân
I'd forgotten how much I like this series. Sadly it appears that my library has stopped purchasing these books and I can't purchase them on kindle because of area restrictions. Sigh.
Georgia
Jul 20, 2012 Georgia rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've read all summer. A cozy mystery that takes place now but will take you back to the troubled times of the 60's. A must read for all Jane Lawless fans.
Kylie
Dec 25, 2011 Kylie rated it it was ok
This was a pretty good read. I guessed the mystery long before the end and, ultimately it's pretty forgettable. But as a light read it is ok.
Mary Vermillion
Apr 15, 2012 Mary Vermillion rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt
Hart shows a lot of range in this novel as she beautifully depicts an older lesbian couple and their young (straight) crushed-out nephew.
Nov 29, 2011 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So - so
..... Loved loved cordelia but the rest of the book was too depressing for me .... Well written though and a good plot line .
Carol Frazer
Feb 03, 2016 Carol Frazer rated it liked it
My first book by this author--liked the story but not sure I will read any more of her books.
Betty
Sep 05, 2016 Betty added it
Shelves: waste-of-time, 2011
It was hard to keep track of who's who and then after a while it just wasn't worth trying.
Daphne Birchfield
Jan 15, 2013 Daphne Birchfield rated it liked it
its an okay. I'd like to know more about her relationship with her partner that died.
Nora-adrienne
Nov 11, 2011 Nora-adrienne rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of Ellen Hart's books and look forward to each new release.
Kia
May 09, 2016 Kia rated it liked it
Easy read. Good characters I like re-visiting from time-to-time.
  • Ill Will (Micky Knight, #7)
  • Waking Up Gray
  • Love At Last
  • The Callahan Brothers: Blue Bayou, River Road, Magnolia Moon
  • Slugfest (Dirty Business Mystery #4)
  • Gun Shy (Gun, #1)
  • Elena Undone
  • Too Late... I Love You
  • High Desert (Kate Delafield, #9)
  • Seeking Sara Summers - A Coming Out Later in Life Lesbian Novel
  • Since I Don't Have You
  • The New Rector (Tales from Turnham Malpas #1)
  • Happy Endings Are All Alike
  • Butch Fatale, Dyke Dick - Double D Double Cross
  • The Wild Hog Murders: A Dan Rhodes Mystery (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #18)
  • Coding Isis
Ellen Hart is the author of twenty-eight crime novels in two different series. She is a five-time winner of the Lambda Literary Award for Best Lesbian Mystery, a three-time winner of the Minnesota Book Award for Best Popular Fiction, a three-time winner of the Golden Crown Literary Award in several categories, a recipient of the Alice B Medal, and was made an official GLBT Literary Saint at the Sa ...more
More about Ellen Hart...

Jane Lawless (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Hallowed Murder (Jane Lawless, #1)
  • Vital Lies (Jane Lawless, #2)
  • Stage Fright (Jane Lawless, #3)
  • A Killing Cure (Jane Lawless, #4)
  • A Small Sacrifice (Jane Lawless, #5)
  • Faint Praise (Jane Lawless, #6)
  • Robber's Wine (Jane Lawless, #7)
  • Wicked Games (Jane Lawless, #8)
  • Hunting the Witch (Jane Lawless, #9)
  • The Merchant of Venus (Jane Lawless, #10)