Barefoot Contessa Parties!: Ideas and Recipes for Easy Parties That Are Really Fun

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  4,453 ratings  ·  48 reviews
After more than twenty years of running Barefoot Contessa, the acclaimed specialty food store, Ina Garten published her first collection of recipes. The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook was an overnight sensation, but it's the kind of success that can only be grounded in years of experience. In it, Ina shared her ideas for familiar food but with outstanding flavor and -- most im...more
Published March 27th 2001 by Clarkson Potter

Carol
What can I say? I love everything Ina makes and so does my family. Lots of great ideas for parties where everyone gets delicious food but Ina also gives hints on how to be more than just a hostess but actually someone who can enjoy her guests.
Jen
Nov 13, 2008 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone looking for home cooked food that tastes like restaurant food.
Recommended to Jen by: My mom
Shelves: cookbook
Dare I say this is one of my favorite cookbooks ever published. I have make numerous recipes from this book and they always exceed my expectations. They're always a cut above the rest in terms of taste and presentation- they sometimes require a little extra effort to gather just the right ingredients, but it is always worthwhile. Definitely a must-have book if you like to entertain.
Angie
My favorite cookbook, hands down. Before going gluten free, I made a lot of her cakes and breads and cookies for parties and they were huge hits. I have to experiment with them now with gluten free flour, and can't wait to pull this out this fall when I can turn my oven on again. I always buy this book for couples who are getting married because I've found it so useful.
Suzanne
Every time I make something from this book for a party, it's a huge success. Recipes are really easy to follow (sometimes a little time consuming). A great addition to any kitchen.
Kylie Briggs
Okay, the only thing I've made out of this book is the Lemon Cake, but it was fabulous. You might assign someone to zest and juice lemons while you work on the rest of the batter. Using Meyer lemons made the cake 5 times better than those other lemons did. The lemon syrup didn't soak in all the way, I might have decided I would rather eat the cake than give it enough time to soak though. The cake froze and then defrosted in the fridge for the day I was going to use it, and was just fine. You mus...more
Lindsey
Here's the deal with the barefoot contessa.... her recipes are very hit or miss. I do love her regardless though. I love her show, attitude and passion for food. Her other books are better than this, but this was the first one I owned and the one made me fall in love with her. Best recipes: carrot cake cupcakes, lemon cake, popovers, pasta pesto & peas, filet w/gorgonzola and few others look great but I haven't tried.
Bonnie
"Real Simple" magazine asked readers for books they return to when they need an uplifting read. Surprsingly, one reader included this book. I checked it out from our library and really enjoyed it. Lots of delicious recipes of course. Nice background and personal experiences shared. If you like Ina Garten - you'll really enjoy this book. I might get myself a copy as well!
Elliott Ehrhard
For me cooking for people is a really great way to love them. This book is definitely a go-to book for cooking for others because Ina Garten gives great ideas for entertaining and helpful tips for doing it well. And it's one of those cookbooks that every time I try a dish from it, I love it.
Katie
Maybe this is my most-used Contessa. Favorites: Roast Loin of Pork with Fennel, Chocolate Chunk Cookies, Lemon Bars, Herbed Goat Cheese Sandwiches, Apple Crostata, Orzo with Raosted Veggies, Filet of Beef Sandwiches, Tabbouleh.
April
Sep 27, 2011 April added it
Did you know Ina Garten worked in the Office of Management and Budget during the Nixon era - writing the budget for nuclear energy?! The recipes so far look very intriguing too...I think this is going on my Christmas wishlist.
Melissa
Killer rugelach recipe that Eli makes every year. Awesome butternut squash and apple soup, perfect for the fall weather. Great party ideas, but if I had to save one cookbook from a burning kitchen, this would not be it.
Deborah
Jul 31, 2008 Deborah rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Kim Damommio
Plan to make the Rack of Lamb for your next mini holiday--it has amazing stage presence when dressed up with sprigs of rosemary. It looks fabulous as a star of the show on any buffet. Your guests will never forget it...
Kate
I made a couple dishes from this with rave reviews. It is nice to tuck away new entertaining ideas from someone other than Martha Stewart, too. Ina's recipes are not necessarily low-fat, but they are yummy and do-able.
Kate
And I don't even really throw parties, but this cookbook has really got it going on. My favorite recipe in here so far is for butternut squash and apple soup with curry powder - heats you up when the temperature goes down...
Liz
Oct 06, 2008 Liz rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Liz by: library
Shelves: cookbooks
This cookbook wasn't as useful to me as the others, but I love a few of the recipes, esp. the orzo with roasted vegetables and the spinach gratin, which I make all the time. Has anyone made the plum tart?
Cory Van Horn
I started watching Ina's show on Food TV and love every minute of it. I love how her food is easy to make and completely full of flavor. This book has wonderful snippets about each recipe.
Jenni
Aug 11, 2007 Jenni rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
Another great book of simple but delicious recipes from Ina Garten! I don't really buy the whole "life style expert" crap, but have to admit that she does know a thing or ten about food and fun.
Missy
How to make excellent hors d' oeuvres and arrangements for parties. Where I've found her other books more practical, there are some cute and compelling ideas in this one.
Manuel
This book does not skimp on fat. These are good classic recipes. I've made lemon bars, various salads and desserts from it, but not any of the main dishes.
Miss Clark
Great advice on parties, with some excellent desserts, but it basically just uses main course and side dish recipes from her previous books.

Kimberly
Aug 05, 2010 Kimberly is currently reading it
I got this at the Eliot Cutler fundraiser. Ina used to work with Eliot in Washington. Great Stuff! Nice to have a party ready to go!
Amy

I just love Ina's simple approach to hospitality. Use the best ingredients and keep it simple. She is very classy!
Emily
My mouth waters just reading the names! The afternoon tea section, in particular, is going to get a lot of us at my house!
Bridget
I love Ina Garten! Such a warm and inviting personality. This is an autographed book with an autographed picture.
Angela
I have made several of the menus from this book and although they are usually more complex they are always delicious.
Valerie Sherman
Ina Garten, you are amazing.

This is where I got the chocolate ganache cake recipe, if anybody's keeping track.
Erica
One of the best chefs of our time! All of her recipes are classy, delicious, and fool-proof!
Erin
The curried butternut squash soup is to die. And the rugelach are amazing. Fatty, but amazing.
Tracy
Has the BEST Lemon Bar recipe I've ever found. Lots of easy recipes with beautiful pictures
Cheryl K
I haven't yet fully explored this book but everything I have made so far has come out fabulous!
  • Giada's Family Dinners
  • Martha Stewart's Hors d'Oeuvres Handbook
  • Tyler's Ultimate: Brilliant Simple Food to Make Any Time
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • The Pastry Queen: Royally Good Recipes From the Texas Hill Country's Rather Sweet Bakery and Cafe
  • The Bon Appetit Cookbook: Fast Easy Fresh
  • The New Best Recipe
  • The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life
  • Feast: Food to Celebrate Life
  • Paula Deen & Friends
  • The Gourmet Cookbook: More than 1000 recipes
  • Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours
Ina Rosenberg Garten is an American author, host of the Food Network program Barefoot Contessa, and former White House nuclear policy analyst. Known for designing recipes with an emphasis on fresh ingredients and time-saving tips, she has been noted by Martha Stewart, Oprah Winfrey, and Patricia Wells for her cooking and home entertaining.

Garten had no formal training; she taught herself culinary...more
More about Ina Garten...
Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You'll Make Over and Over Again The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics Barefoot Contessa Family Style: Easy Ideas and Recipes That Make Everyone Feel Like Family Barefoot in Paris