Start by marking “Barefoot Contessa Parties!: Ideas and Recipes for Easy Parties That Are Really Fun” as Want to Read:

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,051 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
After more than twenty years of running Barefoot Contessa, the acclaimed specialty food store, Ina Garten published her first collection of recipes. The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook was an overnight sensation, but it's the kind of success that can only be grounded in years of experience. In it, Ina shared her ideas for familiar food but with outstanding flavor and -- most im ...more
Published March 27th 2001 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about Barefoot Contessa Parties!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barefoot Contessa Parties!

Mom's Island Bakens by Martha Char LoveGluten Free Slow Cooker by F.L. CloverMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildThe Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook  by Cheryl DayBarefoot Contessa Back to Basics by Ina Garten
All-Time Favorite Cookery Books
11th out of 94 books — 36 voters
Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella HazanCooking with the Two Fat Ladies by Jennifer PatersonMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildEntertaining all'Italiana by Anna Del Conte
Great "Classic" Cookery Books
21st out of 43 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Darth J
Oct 08, 2014 Darth J rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook

The holidays are just around the corner and Ina has some great ideas for your parties and gatherings.
Carol
Oct 29, 2012 Carol rated it it was amazing
What can I say? I love everything Ina makes and so does my family. Lots of great ideas for parties where everyone gets delicious food but Ina also gives hints on how to be more than just a hostess but actually someone who can enjoy her guests.
Kimberly Ann
Jan 26, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it liked it
Oh my, I open to the Contents and what do I see? I see three margaritas staring at me!

The book is easy to read, the recipes for the most part are simple to prepare, the ingredients are easy to find, the photographs are large and appetizing in appearance. Each menu title page give the number of people to be fed as well as dishes that will be served.

I was unimpressed w/ her Fireside Dinner for two, there were two dishes.... For something so "cozy" I'd not have chosen Vegetable pot pie & doubl
Jen
Nov 13, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for home cooked food that tastes like restaurant food.
Recommended to Jen by: My mom
Shelves: cookbook
Dare I say this is one of my favorite cookbooks ever published. I have make numerous recipes from this book and they always exceed my expectations. They're always a cut above the rest in terms of taste and presentation- they sometimes require a little extra effort to gather just the right ingredients, but it is always worthwhile. Definitely a must-have book if you like to entertain.
Suzanne
Jan 18, 2013 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Every time I make something from this book for a party, it's a huge success. Recipes are really easy to follow (sometimes a little time consuming). A great addition to any kitchen.
Debby
Mar 06, 2016 Debby rated it really liked it
I finally have this cookbook to make a complete set of Ina's cookbooks. When I first discovered the BC's show on Food Network, I thought she was so booooooooring. But, as time went on, I realized that the majority of her recipes aren't that difficult to make. So, I started making them. Often. They always turned out great! Okay, so she's from "The Hamptons" and La-Tee-Da. I still like her. Granted, some of her recipes have expensive ingredients. But, not all of them. I try to use "good" ingredien ...more
Kylie Briggs
Nov 02, 2011 Kylie Briggs rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Okay, the only thing I've made out of this book is the Lemon Cake, but it was fabulous. You might assign someone to zest and juice lemons while you work on the rest of the batter. Using Meyer lemons made the cake 5 times better than those other lemons did. The lemon syrup didn't soak in all the way, I might have decided I would rather eat the cake than give it enough time to soak though. The cake froze and then defrosted in the fridge for the day I was going to use it, and was just fine. You mus ...more
Liz De Coster
Jan 18, 2016 Liz De Coster rated it liked it
Shelves: hobbies, food
This is Ina's favorite of her own cookbooks, according to an interview I read recently.
Tracy
Jan 02, 2015 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Best cookbooks ever!!
Josie
Dec 14, 2014 Josie rated it it was amazing
I've never been disappointed with Ina's cookbooks,ever. Keep writing Ina.
Heather
Sep 03, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it
Another great Ina book. Can't wait to make the caramelized apple-topped sweet potatoes and the fennel soup gratin.
Sue Silver
May 16, 2015 Sue Silver rated it it was amazing
Wonderful like all her books.
Lindsey
Jan 09, 2008 Lindsey rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Here's the deal with the barefoot contessa.... her recipes are very hit or miss. I do love her regardless though. I love her show, attitude and passion for food. Her other books are better than this, but this was the first one I owned and the one made me fall in love with her. Best recipes: carrot cake cupcakes, lemon cake, popovers, pasta pesto & peas, filet w/gorgonzola and few others look great but I haven't tried.
Bonnie
Jul 02, 2014 Bonnie rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2012, cookbook
"Real Simple" magazine asked readers for books they return to when they need an uplifting read. Surprsingly, one reader included this book. I checked it out from our library and really enjoyed it. Lots of delicious recipes of course. Nice background and personal experiences shared. If you like Ina Garten - you'll really enjoy this book. I might get myself a copy as well!
Elliott Ehrhard
Jul 16, 2013 Elliott Ehrhard rated it it was amazing
For me cooking for people is a really great way to love them. This book is definitely a go-to book for cooking for others because Ina Garten gives great ideas for entertaining and helpful tips for doing it well. And it's one of those cookbooks that every time I try a dish from it, I love it.
Katie
Aug 24, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Maybe this is my most-used Contessa. Favorites: Roast Loin of Pork with Fennel, Chocolate Chunk Cookies, Lemon Bars, Herbed Goat Cheese Sandwiches, Apple Crostata, Orzo with Raosted Veggies, Filet of Beef Sandwiches, Tabbouleh.
April
Sep 27, 2011 April added it
Did you know Ina Garten worked in the Office of Management and Budget during the Nixon era - writing the budget for nuclear energy?! The recipes so far look very intriguing too...I think this is going on my Christmas wishlist.
Melissa
Nov 04, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
Killer rugelach recipe that Eli makes every year. Awesome butternut squash and apple soup, perfect for the fall weather. Great party ideas, but if I had to save one cookbook from a burning kitchen, this would not be it.
Deborah
Jul 31, 2008 Deborah rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kim Damommio
Plan to make the Rack of Lamb for your next mini holiday--it has amazing stage presence when dressed up with sprigs of rosemary. It looks fabulous as a star of the show on any buffet. Your guests will never forget it...
Kate
Jul 26, 2009 Kate rated it really liked it
I made a couple dishes from this with rave reviews. It is nice to tuck away new entertaining ideas from someone other than Martha Stewart, too. Ina's recipes are not necessarily low-fat, but they are yummy and do-able.
Kate
Nov 17, 2007 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-writing
And I don't even really throw parties, but this cookbook has really got it going on. My favorite recipe in here so far is for butternut squash and apple soup with curry powder - heats you up when the temperature goes down...
Liz
Oct 06, 2008 Liz rated it liked it
Recommended to Liz by: library
Shelves: cookbooks
This cookbook wasn't as useful to me as the others, but I love a few of the recipes, esp. the orzo with roasted vegetables and the spinach gratin, which I make all the time. Has anyone made the plum tart?
Cory Van Horn
Oct 13, 2007 Cory Van Horn rated it it was amazing
I started watching Ina's show on Food TV and love every minute of it. I love how her food is easy to make and completely full of flavor. This book has wonderful snippets about each recipe.
Jenni
Aug 11, 2007 Jenni rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
Another great book of simple but delicious recipes from Ina Garten! I don't really buy the whole "life style expert" crap, but have to admit that she does know a thing or ten about food and fun.
Missy
Jan 14, 2008 Missy rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
How to make excellent hors d' oeuvres and arrangements for parties. Where I've found her other books more practical, there are some cute and compelling ideas in this one.
Manuel
Mar 09, 2010 Manuel rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This book does not skimp on fat. These are good classic recipes. I've made lemon bars, various salads and desserts from it, but not any of the main dishes.
Miss Clark
Nov 05, 2008 Miss Clark rated it it was ok
Shelves: cooking-baking
Great advice on parties, with some excellent desserts, but it basically just uses main course and side dish recipes from her previous books.

Kimberly
Aug 05, 2010 Kimberly is currently reading it
I got this at the Eliot Cutler fundraiser. Ina used to work with Eliot in Washington. Great Stuff! Nice to have a party ready to go!
Amy
Jul 15, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing

I just love Ina's simple approach to hospitality. Use the best ingredients and keep it simple. She is very classy!
Emily
Apr 13, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing
My mouth waters just reading the names! The afternoon tea section, in particular, is going to get a lot of us at my house!
  • Martha Stewart's Hors d'Oeuvres Handbook
  • Tyler Florence's Real Kitchen: An Indespensible Guide for Anybody Who Likes to Cook
  • Giada at Home: Family Recipes from Italy and California
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • The Bon Appetit Cookbook
  • Christmas from the Heart of the Home
  • The Best Make-Ahead Recipe
  • The Foster's Market Cookbook: Favorite Recipes for Morning, Noon, and Night
  • The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life
  • The Pastry Queen: Royally Good Recipes From the Texas Hill Country's Rather Sweet Bakery and Cafe
Ina Rosenberg Garten is an American author, host of the Food Network program Barefoot Contessa, and former White House nuclear policy analyst. Known for designing recipes with an emphasis on fresh ingredients and time-saving tips, she has been noted by Martha Stewart, Oprah Winfrey, and Patricia Wells for her cooking and home entertaining.

Garten had no formal training; she taught herself culinary
More about Ina Garten...