Barefoot Contessa Family Style: Easy Ideas and Recipes That Make Everyone Feel Like Family

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  9,352 ratings  ·  89 reviews
Ina Garten, who shared her gift for casual entertaining in the bestselling Barefoot Contessa Cookbook and Barefoot Contessa Parties!, is back with her most enticing recipes yet—a collection of her favorite dishes for everyday cooking. In Barefoot Contessa Family Style, Ina explains that sharing our lives and tables with those we love is too essential to be saved just for s...more
Published October 29th 2002 by Clarkson Potter (first published November 26th 26)

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow To Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
12th out of 827 books — 829 voters
The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerThe New Basics Cookbook by Julee RossoThe Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie KatzenThe Silver Palate Cookbook by Julee RossoGluten Free Slow Cooker by F.L. Clover
Best Cookbooks Ever
7th out of 133 books — 80 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda
- Never read Barefoot Contessa cookbooks on an empty stomach.

- I want to be Ina Garten when I grow up.

- If I can't be Ina, then I want her to be my next-door neighbor.
Kristina
Visually stimulating and mouth watering! Ina Garten makes everything seem accessible through her clear instructions. We have all read those recipes that can inspire fear just through their length. This book does not contain a single one.
Sharing food is an act of love and it makes cooking so much more enjoyable when you remind yourself that you are doing it for someone you love, whether or not it is yourself or someone else.
Since Ina firmly believes that hosts/hostesses should not spend thei...more
Bryan
I like Ina's recipes/books a lot, but this book was a bit of a let down if you consider yourself any kind of a cook. Do I really need a recipe for roasted potatoes? Ingredients - Potatoes, salt, pepper and olive oil. Pretty much a no-brainer.

But the book does have some great recipes - specifically the Sagaponack Corn Pudding and the Tequila Lime Chicken. both were big winners when I made them.
Madnad
Before we start, I have to confess I am a little enamoured of Ina Garten. Ina, and Ree (The Pioneer Woman) are two of my favourite US cooks around today. They are similar in that they produce really tasty recipes, have a passion for great tasting food, and are fearless when it comes to not sacrificing flavour for calories. That is not to say that all their recipes are laden with fat, but that they appreciate sometimes there is just no substitute for flavour.

Ina Garten left an unfulfilling govern...more
Tracy O
Jul 07, 2008 Tracy O rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tracy O by: Mom & Ann
Shelves: cook-books
I've only made 3 recipes from this book so far: Linguine with Shrimp Scampi, Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomotoes (the quintessential pot-luck bring-along) and the Lasagna with Turkey Sausage. The recipes are not the very, very easiest in the world, but they are PRETTY darn easy. We're talking 30 min. prep time and maybe 30 min. cooking time, and, that's for stuff you can make for folks who are coming over to your home. There are great pictures, too - I like to know what I'm shooting for. When I was MU...more
Stacie
Aug 18, 2009 Stacie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: eat
Wasn't familiar with Garten until I attended a bridal shower where the food was prepared from her cookbooks - it was so delicious!! I went out and bought this cookbook!! Everything I have made has been wonderful; my husband has loved it and I have also taken dishes to functions and people have asked for recipes (so I tell them the same story about going to the bridal shower/etc.).... =) Also, ingredients are items most people have in their kitchen already (always a plus!). Yes, the recipes are p...more
Nikki
The recipes in this book are simple, looking over the table of contents did make me roll my eyes. Do I need a recipe for roasted asparagus? Green salad? But they still have the Ina Garten touches and simple doesn't mean not tasty. The green salad recipe, for example, is all about the vinaigrette. The roasted asparagus tastes amazing. It's a good book to give to new cooks, but I also like it for when I want dinner fast.
Tracey
Her cookbooks are a big must-have in our family. We do, however, call it 'Would you like some fatty-fat with your fatty-fat?' cookbook. Cream, half-and-half, cheese, butter all make repeat performances in many of the dishes. But in the end, does anything with those ingredients ever suck?

Favorites: The Turkey Lasagna, Sagaponack Corn Pudding and the Parmesan Chicken.
Kate
Love a cookbook with tons of photos. Although Ina's presentation is undoubtedly better than mine, the hubby thinks I am a master chef while cooking her recipes. Love love the parmesean chicken.
Torie Brooks
It reminds me that eating together with the people you love is something to be done often!
Janene
A little more my style than the At Home one I recently browsed. My favorite recipes here...

Baked chips (potato wedges, olive oil, some seasonings. I fight the children for them)
Homemade marshmallows (using knox gelatin. can't wait to try with the kids)
Perfect sautéed carrots (3-yr-old Sean and I are alone in loving these, but we don't mind)
Sundried tomato pasta salad (I just know I'll love it, and will enjoy just as my vines have tomatoes and the basil is growing.)

If I ever find myself living an...more
Katie
I enjoyed this cookbook by Ina Garten. She has marvelous recipes and entertaining hints. The ingredients in many of these were a bit pricey but they were meant for company meals.
Cenaida
Love her cookbooks. Easy to follow. Its great when you follow a receipt and it turns out fantastic.
Wendi Mattson
I love Ina. Her recipes are delicious and easy to follow.
Nice addition to a cook book library. Lots of go to recipes.
Redbaies
I adore all her cookbooks, but this one is my least favourite, I suppose I was spoiled with the first 2 I had and was lloking for a bit more original ideas. Although once again all her recipes are easy and delicious. Her books are so appealing she has found the wonderful balance of clarity and clearness in her recipes and photos.
When you begin reading this book you allost feel like jumping up to organise a family luncheon!
The only frustrating thing is the measurements in US no metric!
Suzanne
My rule of thumb with a cookbook is that if I get three good recipes out of the book that I want to make again - the book is a keeper. Every cookbook and recipe in Barefoot Contessa works. Recipes are simple, easy to follow, delicious, and worth the effort to cook again and again.
Frenchflutebob
My mother-in-law and sister-in-law love these cookbooks. I had looked through them years ago, but recently read this one to find out what was in it that I remembered. I love her way of writing about food, and the recipes are fairly simple and ones everyone would like. There were only a few things that I thought I would never make. But, after I had looked at every single recipe, I was really happy with this cookbook.
Melissa
I love her recipe books for the simple fruit and veggie recipes and the delicious desserts. I feel like her main dish recipes are not always my taste. I am really picky with what I think a cookbook should look like. I think she got it right. Each recipe has a picture, big fonts, simple and not too much on the page to distract my eyes. She gives great tips and explanations.
Lindsey
parmesan chicken was great, avoid the chicken stew with biscuits (was disappointing and tasted very off), lasagna with turkey sausage is one of my favorite recipes that i make time and time again, roasted winter veggies, string beans and shallots, zucchini with parmesan, & rum raisin rice pudding (makes a ton but its delicious, as it should be with 5 cups of cream and boose)
Meg Bressette
I am a big Ina Garten fan - love her books and her show. The recipes in this book are good, basic recipes that do not fail but she is rather liberal with the high-fat ingredients. I am all for enjoying food but I often slim her recipes down (example: I use evaporated milk instead of half & half) to be able to enjoy them a little more often.
Tasha
I cannot live without this book. I love its simplicity yet you can blow people's tastebuds away when you show up for a potluck, the dinnertable, or even the high-end catering jobs (if you're so inclined.) But her recipes are scrumptous and classy. I love how she gives you options to foods and gives you menu ideas.
Susan
Dec 16, 2007 Susan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: loves to cook for family and friends, without being formal or stuffy
Love her! This was the first 'ina' book I came upon, and her style was exactly what I had been looking for----exceptional food, prepared lovingly and with great karma. She is a kindrea spirit----my family lovingly refers to her as the contessa!

try the banana sour cream pancakes and the lasagna with turkey sausage. yum!
Molly Lingenfelter
I haven't watched any of her shows or read any of her other cookbooks, and I can't say I'm thrilled with this one. I've made a dozen or so recipes in the past year, and the only one I've made more than once is the buffalo chicken wings. The recipes are a little too bland for me and don't seem particularly unique.
Kaitie
Loved the cook book which brought alot of new dishes to the table and changed a few staples... This just isn't the cook book for quick weeknight meals. Everything I made was delicious, but took a while and with my two hungry kids after work/daycare, I need something fast and easy after work.
Valerie
This is another great title from Ina Garten. I love her simple recipes - arugula with parmesan and lemon vinaigrette, parmesan chicken, and lasagna with turkey sausage, to name a few - and they are favorites in my household.

Her recipes are simple, approachable, and delicious.
Cynthia
I could go on and on about the recipes in this book: her pound cake, the fried chicken, the angel food cake, it's just all so good. I've had this book ever since it came out and is definitely one of my faves.

I love books with pretty glossy photos too. Mmmm....
Joel
Apr 13, 2007 Joel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with a kitchen
Everyone needs a good cookbook and this is my favorite. The recipes are easy to follow and the majority of them are excellent. Whenever I get a complement on my food it is nearly always something from this book. For a single guy, that's pretty great indeed.
Kate Mowery
Ina Garten is awesome. She has great recipes and writes a really usable cookbook.

The only reason I wouldn't buy this cookbook is because I almost never cook for other people, so what's the point of buying a cookbook with party and family-sized recipes.
Judy
More delicious, easy-to-follow recipes, with beautiful illustrations. This wouldn't be the first Barefoot Contessa book I would buy (I would recommend The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, but it's nice to have more of her recipes.
Kathy
I'm really glad that I rec'd this as a CHristmas present (thanks Sarah). I haven't tried too many recipes yet, but everytime I look at this book I 'hear' her voice, which is so soothing - it says 'comfort food' everytime.
  • Giada's Family Dinners
  • Tyler's Ultimate: Brilliant Simple Food to Make Any Time
  • Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook
  • The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food
  • Paula Deen & Friends
  • Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours
  • Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook: Explosive Flavors from the Southwestern Kitchen
  • Food Network Favorites
  • The Bon Appetit Cookbook: Fast Easy Fresh
Ina Rosenberg Garten is an American author, host of the Food Network program Barefoot Contessa, and former White House nuclear policy analyst. Known for designing recipes with an emphasis on fresh ingredients and time-saving tips, she has been noted by Martha Stewart, Oprah Winfrey, and Patricia Wells for her cooking and home entertaining.

Garten had no formal training; she taught herself culinary...more
More about Ina Garten...
Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You'll Make Over and Over Again The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics Barefoot in Paris Barefoot Contessa Parties!: Ideas and Recipes for Easy Parties That Are Really Fun