Start by marking “Barefoot Contessa Family Style: Easy Ideas and Recipes That Make Everyone Feel Like Family” as Want to Read:

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  14,718 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
Ina Garten, who shared her gift for casual entertaining in the bestselling Barefoot Contessa Cookbook and Barefoot Contessa Parties!, is back with her most enticing recipes yet—a collection of her favorite dishes for everyday cooking. In Barefoot Contessa Family Style, Ina explains that sharing our lives and tables with those we love is too essential to be saved just for s ...more
Published October 29th 2002 by Clarkson Potter

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
14th out of 1,005 books — 990 voters
The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerThe New Basics Cookbook by Julee RossoThe Fannie Farmer Cookbook by Marion CunninghamThe Silver Palate Cookbook by Julee RossoEssentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan
Best Cookbooks Ever
9th out of 178 books — 117 voters

More lists with this book...

Oct 02, 2010 Amanda rated it it was amazing
- Never read Barefoot Contessa cookbooks on an empty stomach.

- I want to be Ina Garten when I grow up.

- If I can't be Ina, then I want her to be my next-door neighbor.
Jan 09, 2009 Kristina rated it really liked it
Visually stimulating and mouth watering! Ina Garten makes everything seem accessible through her clear instructions. We have all read those recipes that can inspire fear just through their length. This book does not contain a single one.
Sharing food is an act of love and it makes cooking so much more enjoyable when you remind yourself that you are doing it for someone you love, whether or not it is yourself or someone else.
Since Ina firmly believes that hosts/hostesses should not spend thei
Dec 08, 2007 Bryan rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I like Ina's recipes/books a lot, but this book was a bit of a let down if you consider yourself any kind of a cook. Do I really need a recipe for roasted potatoes? Ingredients - Potatoes, salt, pepper and olive oil. Pretty much a no-brainer.

But the book does have some great recipes - specifically the Sagaponack Corn Pudding and the Tequila Lime Chicken. both were big winners when I made them.
Feb 24, 2013 Madnad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before we start, I have to confess I am a little enamoured of Ina Garten. Ina, and Ree (The Pioneer Woman) are two of my favourite US cooks around today. They are similar in that they produce really tasty recipes, have a passion for great tasting food, and are fearless when it comes to not sacrificing flavour for calories. That is not to say that all their recipes are laden with fat, but that they appreciate sometimes there is just no substitute for flavour.

Ina Garten left an unfulfilling govern
Tracy O
Jul 07, 2008 Tracy O rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tracy O by: Mom & Ann
Shelves: cook-books
I've only made 3 recipes from this book so far: Linguine with Shrimp Scampi, Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomotoes (the quintessential pot-luck bring-along) and the Lasagna with Turkey Sausage. The recipes are not the very, very easiest in the world, but they are PRETTY darn easy. We're talking 30 min. prep time and maybe 30 min. cooking time, and, that's for stuff you can make for folks who are coming over to your home. There are great pictures, too - I like to know what I'm shooting for. When I was MU ...more
Aug 18, 2009 Stacie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eat
Wasn't familiar with Garten until I attended a bridal shower where the food was prepared from her cookbooks - it was so delicious!! I went out and bought this cookbook!! Everything I have made has been wonderful; my husband has loved it and I have also taken dishes to functions and people have asked for recipes (so I tell them the same story about going to the bridal shower/etc.).... =) Also, ingredients are items most people have in their kitchen already (always a plus!). Yes, the recipes are p ...more
Apr 09, 2013 Nikki rated it really liked it
The recipes in this book are simple, looking over the table of contents did make me roll my eyes. Do I need a recipe for roasted asparagus? Green salad? But they still have the Ina Garten touches and simple doesn't mean not tasty. The green salad recipe, for example, is all about the vinaigrette. The roasted asparagus tastes amazing. It's a good book to give to new cooks, but I also like it for when I want dinner fast.
Sep 25, 2008 Tracey rated it it was amazing
Her cookbooks are a big must-have in our family. We do, however, call it 'Would you like some fatty-fat with your fatty-fat?' cookbook. Cream, half-and-half, cheese, butter all make repeat performances in many of the dishes. But in the end, does anything with those ingredients ever suck?

Favorites: The Turkey Lasagna, Sagaponack Corn Pudding and the Parmesan Chicken.
Jun 15, 2010 Kate rated it really liked it
Love a cookbook with tons of photos. Although Ina's presentation is undoubtedly better than mine, the hubby thinks I am a master chef while cooking her recipes. Love love the parmesean chicken.
Torie Brooks
Oct 29, 2010 Torie Brooks rated it really liked it
It reminds me that eating together with the people you love is something to be done often!
Emily Von pfahl
Feb 11, 2016 Emily Von pfahl rated it really liked it
I've tried a number of recipes from this cookbook and all of them have turned out well. Ina Garten does a really good job of giving easy to follow, complete instructions for her recipes. She does however have an over developed fondness for onions and fennel, and she doesn't always consider the price of her ingredients (large amounts of saffron-the most expensive spice there is, a ridiculous number of oranges used in the pound cake), but overall a very good cookbook. The chicken stew with biscuit ...more
Jan 25, 2013 Janene rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
A little more my style than the At Home one I recently browsed. My favorite recipes here...

Baked chips (potato wedges, olive oil, some seasonings. I fight the children for them)
Homemade marshmallows (using knox gelatin. can't wait to try with the kids)
Perfect sautéed carrots (3-yr-old Sean and I are alone in loving these, but we don't mind)
Sundried tomato pasta salad (I just know I'll love it, and will enjoy just as my vines have tomatoes and the basil is growing.)

If I ever find myself living an
Allison Bowen
May 31, 2015 Allison Bowen rated it it was amazing
This is her best! I refer to this book more than any of the others. I never use any other shrimp scampi recipe and the garlic spinach recipe is so easy. I have been making her blue berry muffins for years.
Mar 23, 2014 Cenaida rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking-books
Love her cookbooks. Easy to follow. Its great when you follow a receipt and it turns out fantastic.
Wendi Mattson
Mar 03, 2014 Wendi Mattson rated it really liked it
I love Ina. Her recipes are delicious and easy to follow.
Nice addition to a cook book library. Lots of go to recipes.
Brenda B
Jan 10, 2016 Brenda B rated it liked it
found a few good recipes that I'd like to try. Most call for butter!
Karen Newman
Apr 10, 2015 Karen Newman rated it it was amazing
This is one I go to for easy comfort food.
Adrienne Bibb
Dec 02, 2014 Adrienne Bibb rated it liked it
love in a! her books and recipes are classic
Jan 02, 2015 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Best cookbooks ever!
Jan 31, 2016 Cathryn rated it it was amazing
A great cookbook!!
Aug 02, 2015 Asma added it
I adore all her cookbooks, but this one is my least favourite, I suppose I was spoiled with the first 2 I had and was lloking for a bit more original ideas. Although once again all her recipes are easy and delicious. Her books are so appealing she has found the wonderful balance of clarity and clearness in her recipes and photos.
When you begin reading this book you allost feel like jumping up to organise a family luncheon!
The only frustrating thing is the measurements in US no metric!
Jul 21, 2016 Tori rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
I laugh at Ina and make fun of her Madagascar vanilla beans, but it comes from a place of affection, truly. I love her recipes and her style - elegant without being fussy. This cookbook is one of the only ones we've ever used consistently at our house. The chive biscuits are my personal favorite, and the family favorite is probably the Flag Cake, which we've made for every 4th of July I can remember. I just wish I could have even a little of her unruffled calmness in the kitchen.

Jan 07, 2014 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
My rule of thumb with a cookbook is that if I get three good recipes out of the book that I want to make again - the book is a keeper. Every cookbook and recipe in Barefoot Contessa works. Recipes are simple, easy to follow, delicious, and worth the effort to cook again and again.
Apr 15, 2008 Frenchflutebob rated it really liked it
My mother-in-law and sister-in-law love these cookbooks. I had looked through them years ago, but recently read this one to find out what was in it that I remembered. I love her way of writing about food, and the recipes are fairly simple and ones everyone would like. There were only a few things that I thought I would never make. But, after I had looked at every single recipe, I was really happy with this cookbook.
Feb 28, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
I love her recipe books for the simple fruit and veggie recipes and the delicious desserts. I feel like her main dish recipes are not always my taste. I am really picky with what I think a cookbook should look like. I think she got it right. Each recipe has a picture, big fonts, simple and not too much on the page to distract my eyes. She gives great tips and explanations.
Jan 23, 2008 Lindsey rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
parmesan chicken was great, avoid the chicken stew with biscuits (was disappointing and tasted very off), lasagna with turkey sausage is one of my favorite recipes that i make time and time again, roasted winter veggies, string beans and shallots, zucchini with parmesan, & rum raisin rice pudding (makes a ton but its delicious, as it should be with 5 cups of cream and boose)
Meg Bressette
May 03, 2012 Meg Bressette rated it it was amazing
I am a big Ina Garten fan - love her books and her show. The recipes in this book are good, basic recipes that do not fail but she is rather liberal with the high-fat ingredients. I am all for enjoying food but I often slim her recipes down (example: I use evaporated milk instead of half & half) to be able to enjoy them a little more often.
Mar 01, 2008 Tasha rated it it was amazing
I cannot live without this book. I love its simplicity yet you can blow people's tastebuds away when you show up for a potluck, the dinnertable, or even the high-end catering jobs (if you're so inclined.) But her recipes are scrumptous and classy. I love how she gives you options to foods and gives you menu ideas.
Dec 16, 2007 Susan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: loves to cook for family and friends, without being formal or stuffy
Love her! This was the first 'ina' book I came upon, and her style was exactly what I had been looking for----exceptional food, prepared lovingly and with great karma. She is a kindrea spirit----my family lovingly refers to her as the contessa!

try the banana sour cream pancakes and the lasagna with turkey sausage. yum!
  • Giada's Kitchen: New Favorites from Everyday Italian
  • Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen
  • The Bon Appetit Cookbook
  • The Foster's Market Cookbook: Favorite Recipes for Morning, Noon, and Night
  • Forever Summer
  • Paula Deen Celebrates!: Best Dishes and Best Wishes for the Best Times of Your Life
  • Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook: Explosive Flavors from the Southwestern Kitchen
  • The Best Make-Ahead Recipe
Ina Rosenberg Garten is an American author, host of the Food Network program Barefoot Contessa, and former White House nuclear policy analyst. Known for designing recipes with an emphasis on fresh ingredients and time-saving tips, she has been noted by Martha Stewart, Oprah Winfrey, and Patricia Wells for her cooking and home entertaining.

Garten had no formal training; she taught herself culinary
More about Ina Garten...