Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You'll Make Over and Over Again

Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You'll Make Over and Over Again

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  17,299 ratings  ·  139 reviews
Throughout the years that she has lived and worked in East Hampton, Ina Garten has catered and attended countless parties and dinners. She will be the first to tell you, though, that nothing beats a cozy dinner, surrounded by the people you love most, in the comfort that only your own home can provide. In Barefoot Contessa at Home, Ina shares her life in East Hampton, the...more
Published October 24th 2006 by Clarkson Potter

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow To Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated
Best Cookbooks
14th out of 808 books — 750 voters
The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerMexican Everyday by Rick BaylessBetty Crocker's Cookbook by Betty CrockerBetty Crocker's Picture Cookbook, Facsimile Edition by Betty CrockerMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child
THE VERY BEST COOKBOOKS
12th out of 138 books — 44 voters

More lists with this book...

Jane
Alfonso and I decided that we should try cooking together every week... so this is where we'll start.

Most of the recipes are basic--for the home cook as the title suggests. Nothing too fancy or extraordinary. Great for beginner cooks who need a word for word walk through of the method. Not for the experimental or seasoned cook.

----------

pg 37: Chicken salad sandwiches -- I've never actually tried this particular recipe, but I'm going to say that since it's very close to my own, I like it! The o...more
Sebah
عذاب نفسي. مليء بالوصفات ذات المقادير سهلة التوفر و يسيرة التحضير، و مقسم لعدة أقسام تشمل الأطباق من مختلف الأصناف (حلو، رئيسي، سلطات، ...)؛ رغم أني فقط اطلعت على وصفات السلطات و الحلويات.

أظنه من الكتب المفيد تواجدها في مكتبة المنزل. من الكتب التي أنوي اقتناء نسخة منه لمكتبتي.
Steven Peterson
I love checking out cookbooks. One never knows what culinary treasures will show up in a volume. Authoors differ in their approaches and even provide varying recipes for the same dish.

In essence, the author, Ina Garten, lays out her approach in the following quotations (both from Page 11): ". . .I don't see any reason why we can't buy perfectly good ingredients in a grocery store, cook them simply, and serve an absolutely delicious meal that will delight everyone at the table." And a second obs...more
Lori
Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa series are so much more than just the recipes. Her warmth, wit and passion are all translated in the stories she shares with the readers as well as the great photos of the food and places she loves in East Hampton. At Home is her lastest cookbook and although my favoite remains Barefoot Contessa Family Style, I am pleased to have this one in my collection.
There are great tasting recipes, those that have become requested favorites are; Mustard roasted potatoes, blu...more
Ariel
I have made the chicken salad veronique recipe many times from this book. It's very good for parties and is even better with my own addition of dried cranberries and pecans. The orange-honey glazed carrots are also out of this world. I have been making a very similar recipe from Martha Stewart for years. A great way to get the kids to eat the veggies when they taste like candy. Aside from the potato salad and maybe the chicken piccata (though I already have a million recipes for that) there isn'...more
Andrea
Contrary to its title, I am never inspired to make the Barefoot Contessa's recipes again and again. Not that I don't like her. But she seems to have such a strong following of people who love her, and I just don't like her as much as they do. How about Nigella Lawson? James Beard? Even Rachel Ray is more fun to read, though she puts together some odd combinations.
Terri Jacobson
A great collection of basic recipes if you're a fan of this Food Network star. The book contains a lot of her go-to recipes and also ideas about entertaining. Some of it might be a little dated. Great photos.
Felicite
Mrs. Barefoot Contessa is classy, jazzy lady that knows what she doing in the kitchen. Hats off to her Mrs. Barefoot Contessa. Lemon Squares recipe is the marvelous!
Pris robichaud

Someone;s In The kitchen With Ina, 15 Nov 2006

40 of 68 people found the following review helpful:

Someone's In The Kitchen With Ina, October 24, 2006

"Throughout the years that she has lived and worked in East Hampton, Ina Garten has catered and attended countless parties and dinners. She will be the first to tell you, though, that nothing beats a cozy dinner, surrounded by the people you love most, in the comfort that only your own home can provide. In Barefoot Contessa at Home, Ina shares her...more
Janene
Found some treasures here! Hello, HELLO, Lemon Yogurt Cake, and welcome to my life!! So good. Other favorites were the buttermilk mashed potatoes, peanut-butter icing, a couple of vegetarian dishes to try like fresh pea soup, stewed lentils and tomatoes, parmesan roasted cauliflower. Hits! These were just what I was looking for.

In terms of practicality, however, this isn't a cookbook I NEED on my shelf. In fact, it feels like it was written for the rich East Hamptonites, complete with shout-outs...more
Mo Tipton
I picked this one up at the library, but I'll definitely be buying a copy of my own. I've made about a dozen of the recipes so far, such as the Lemon Yogurt Cake and Orange-Honey Glazed Carrots; all of them were incredibly simple and unbelievably tasty, and I love the fact that most of the dishes can be whipped up without making a trip to the store. If you cook on a fairly regular basis and have a decent range of commonly used spices and other pantry staples on hand, you'll love this cookbook.

M...more
Diana
This really does what it says on the tin: easy recipes to make at home, again and again. Lots in here that I now know by heart, or ones that I easily tweak for lovely, generally simple meals at home.
Kjersten
I have been a Barefoot Contessa fan for a VERY long time! Her shows, her books...what not is there to love about a foodie that is laid back, loves butter and is not afraid to have a family style meal. This book is a good tribute to her cooking style. She does it simply, but with complex and downright good tastes. I was suprised however, that there were many recipes that were okay or not ever again that I had noted after making. I know that many of these recipes were from her store Barefoot Conte...more
Shandon Graybeal
Simple (for the most part) and everything is so good. Out of all her cookbooks, there have been very few things I've made and not loved!
Lucyzoe
You just can't go wrong with a recipe book by Ina Garten. The recipes are full of flavor and perfect for home cooks. Most recipes are made up of common grocery store ingredients...with a few exceptions.

"Something smell really good!" my husband, Jeffrey, exclaims every Friday night when he walks in the door. Most weeks, Jeffrey has been around the world and back and when he walks in that door, I want him to feel that he's really home.

Ina offers delightful stories of her first attempts at making a...more
Jennifer Landstrom
Jul 19, 2007 Jennifer Landstrom rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: all that love to cook
Although the dishes in this book are not exactly figure friendly they are all delicious! Everything I have made has come out perfect! Some favorites are caesar club sandwich, roasted pepper & goat cheese sandwiches, cornish hens with cornbread stuffing and garlic &herb tomatoes. If you are planning a party you can open the book and just make the recipe...Ina Garten must test each recipe 10 times to make sure it is right..it always is!
What I have learned from this cookbook is just relax a...more
Lee
I really liked her Foolproof cookbook (to the point that I've added it to my wedding registry); but this one was just okay. The recipes were less appealing to my taste buds, and they also felt a bit more gourmet than what I like to cook. (Cooking with capon, lobster and rib-eye steaks are not, unfortunately, "everyday" type ingredients in my world.)

I'll definitely be making copies of a few desserts, though, and I enjoyed reading the narratives at the beginning of each chapter. Even when I don't...more
Erin
I don't cook.
But I love cook books.
Love recipes, cooking shows, even making grocery lists. But my time in the kitchen never turns out quite how I plan.

So, help me convince Andre to make some of these great dishes from Ina Garten!
Eli's Asian Salmon
Brocolini and balsamic vinaigrette
Green green spring vegetables
Mustard-roasted potatoes
Peach and blueberry crumbles

Yum.
Karen Ettinger
Love her Style and Taste! Never get tired of following her lifestyle and recipes!
Liz
Oct 06, 2008 Liz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Liz by: library
Shelves: cookbooks
The shrimp bisque and panna cotta with balsamic strawberries are my favorite recipes from the book. Oh, and the fruit crostata was delicious, too. Both the caesar club sandwich and the cornish game hens were good, but, for me, not really worth all the time and effort.

Oh, how could I forget? The recipe I make all the time: ribollita! Sometimes it's fantastic, and sometimes it's a little bland, and I don't think I'm doing anything differently....
MichelleMarie
She had several recipes that looked delicious(ly unhealthy) but I only made one.

And will make again and again if the time arrives.

The Coconut Cake..... very buttery! which makes for a great moist cake with awesome icing.
She actually said it was originally a recipe for cupcakes which I think would be adorable. but the recipe itself it so delightful!

p.s. Hope the library doesn't mind the crumbs in the book.... what do you expect?
melissa
I'm pretty much convinced that Ina is on a steady stream on Valium while filming her shows but she has the best cameraman/photographer out there. Since I'm a Food Network junkie I picked this up when it came in to the bookstore I work at. I was surprised - the recipes are incredibly easy and, unlike 99% of tv chefs (like that lush whose show comes on after Barefoot Contessa), they're all recipes that I would actually use.
Lindsey
My favorite recipes: omelet for two, panna cotta w/ balsamic strawberries, chocolate cupcakes w/peanut butter icing, black and white angel food cake, broccoli rabe w/ garlic, parmesan roasted cauliflower, green green spring veggies, zucchini pancakes, portobello lasagna (i received complements that this was one of the best meals my friends had ever eaten, it takes forever to prepare though), & chicken piccata (really good).
Melissa
I love her recipe books for the simple fruit and veggie recipes and the delicious desserts. I feel like her main dish recipes are not always my taste. I am really picky with what I think a cookbook should look like. I think she got it right. Each recipe has a picture, big fonts, simple and not too much on the page to distract my eyes. She gives great tips and explanations.
Elizabeth
This is a great cook book. It's classic comfort food with an elegant twist. Don't hesitate to cut back on the butter she calls for. I have cut it in at least half for many recipes (not the baking recipes though) and the results are still amazing -- and healthier. I've made just about everything in this book and have found the recipes easy to follow, fun, and so delish!
Queen
I love Ina Garten.

I love her show...how lovely to be her friend.

Her recipes make me look like a good cook. They are simple. I love the pictures that show you how it should all look. I love the layout - the details behind how she cooks...

I'm a fan for life. Anything I make of hers is scrumptious. It's a win-win every time.
Jessica
Feb 06, 2008 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: food lovers
Six words: Chocolate Cupcakes and Peanut Butter Frosting. So amazing. I made a whole batch just for me and my husband and they were all gone. Ina doesn't disappoint in this book-- the rest of recipes are delicious as usual. Great recipes for "everyday" type meals for the family when you are busy, especially the make-ahead meals.
Miss Clark
Everyday Recipes. Yes, well that was part of the problem. For someone who already has simple cooking down, this was somewhat like reading "Dick and Jane." The recipes for vegetables were not anything different from what we already do on a regular basis and as someone trying to find new, original recipes, I was disappointed.
Rebecca
The recipes are superb and the photographs are stunning! Ina cooks real food for real people and her enthusiasm for entertaining comes through in this book. Simply marvelous for anyone who enjoys cooking for guests. Ina relishes the idea of preparing food in advance to enable the hostess to actually enjoy her own party!
Bria
Seems like a gfeat collection and practical enough to actually make them. An exciting Christmas gift!
  • Giada's Family Dinners
  • Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook
  • Tyler's Ultimate: Brilliant Simple Food to Make Any Time
  • The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life
  • Molto Italiano: 327 Simple Italian Recipes to Cook at Home
  • The New Best Recipe
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • Nigella Bites: From Family Meals to Elegant Dinners--Easy, Delectable Recipes for Any Occasion
  • Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, And Savor...
  • Rachael Ray 365: No Repeats: A Year of Deliciously Different Dinners
  • Baking: From My Home to Yours
Ina Rosenberg Garten is an American author, host of the Food Network program Barefoot Contessa, and former White House nuclear policy analyst. Known for designing recipes with an emphasis on fresh ingredients and time-saving tips, she has been noted by Martha Stewart, Oprah Winfrey, and Patricia Wells for her cooking and home entertaining.

Garten had no formal training; she taught herself culinary...more
More about Ina Garten...
The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics Barefoot Contessa Family Style: Easy Ideas and Recipes That Make Everyone Feel Like Family Barefoot in Paris Barefoot Contessa Parties!: Ideas and Recipes for Easy Parties That Are Really Fun