Start by marking “Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You'll Make Over and Over Again” as Want to Read:
Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You'll Make Over and Over Again

Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You'll Make Over and Over Again

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  29,445 Ratings  ·  169 Reviews
#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

Published October 24th 2006 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about Barefoot Contessa at Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barefoot Contessa at Home

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
17th out of 1,009 books — 996 voters
The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildBarefoot Contessa at Home by Ina GartenThe Silver Palate Cookbook by Julee RossoMom's Island Bakens by Martha Char Love
THE VERY BEST COOKBOOKS
3rd out of 156 books — 88 voters

More lists with this book...

Jane
May 28, 2009 Jane rated it really liked it
Alfonso and I decided that we should try cooking together every week... so this is where we'll start.

Most of the recipes are basic--for the home cook as the title suggests. Nothing too fancy or extraordinary. Great for beginner cooks who need a word for word walk through of the method. Not for the experimental or seasoned cook.

----------

pg 37: Chicken salad sandwiches -- I've never actually tried this particular recipe, but I'm going to say that since it's very close to my own, I like it! The o
Ariel
Jul 18, 2011 Ariel rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbook
I have made the chicken salad veronique recipe many times from this book. It's very good for parties and is even better with my own addition of dried cranberries and pecans. The orange-honey glazed carrots are also out of this world. I have been making a very similar recipe from Martha Stewart for years. A great way to get the kids to eat the veggies when they taste like candy. Aside from the potato salad and maybe the chicken piccata (though I already have a million recipes for that) there isn' ...more
Steven Peterson
May 24, 2009 Steven Peterson rated it it was amazing
I love checking out cookbooks. One never knows what culinary treasures will show up in a volume. Authoors differ in their approaches and even provide varying recipes for the same dish.

In essence, the author, Ina Garten, lays out her approach in the following quotations (both from Page 11): ". . .I don't see any reason why we can't buy perfectly good ingredients in a grocery store, cook them simply, and serve an absolutely delicious meal that will delight everyone at the table." And a second obs
Sebah Al-Ali
Jul 29, 2010 Sebah Al-Ali rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer-10, cooking
عذاب نفسي. مليء بالوصفات ذات المقادير سهلة التوفر و يسيرة التحضير، و مقسم لعدة أقسام تشمل الأطباق من مختلف الأصناف (حلو، رئيسي، سلطات، ...)؛ رغم أني فقط اطلعت على وصفات السلطات و الحلويات.

أظنه من الكتب المفيد تواجدها في مكتبة المنزل. من الكتب التي أنوي اقتناء نسخة منه لمكتبتي.
Felicite
Dec 20, 2009 Felicite rated it liked it
Mrs. Barefoot Contessa is classy, jazzy lady that knows what she doing in the kitchen. Hats off to her Mrs. Barefoot Contessa. Lemon Squares recipe is the marvelous!
Miranda Lynn
I will be the first person to tell you that I'm not a huge fan of Ina Garten. If she's on the television, I will immediately change the channel. I'm not sure why her personality grates on me so much (although at least she's not as bad as Paula Deen!), but I've just never really gotten into the whole "Barefoot Contessa" thing for some reason.

But...this is probably the best cookbook that I've read all year. I can't quite pinpoint exactly what I loved about it — it just seemed like it was kind of
Lori
Oct 21, 2009 Lori rated it it was amazing
Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa series are so much more than just the recipes. Her warmth, wit and passion are all translated in the stories she shares with the readers as well as the great photos of the food and places she loves in East Hampton. At Home is her lastest cookbook and although my favoite remains Barefoot Contessa Family Style, I am pleased to have this one in my collection.
There are great tasting recipes, those that have become requested favorites are; Mustard roasted potatoes, blu
Andrea
Jun 11, 2009 Andrea rated it it was ok
Contrary to its title, I am never inspired to make the Barefoot Contessa's recipes again and again. Not that I don't like her. But she seems to have such a strong following of people who love her, and I just don't like her as much as they do. How about Nigella Lawson? James Beard? Even Rachel Ray is more fun to read, though she puts together some odd combinations.
Terri Jacobson
Jan 18, 2013 Terri Jacobson rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
A great collection of basic recipes if you're a fan of this Food Network star. The book contains a lot of her go-to recipes and also ideas about entertaining. Some of it might be a little dated. Great photos.
Pris robichaud
Jan 04, 2009 Pris robichaud rated it it was amazing

Someone;s In The kitchen With Ina, 15 Nov 2006

40 of 68 people found the following review helpful:

Someone's In The Kitchen With Ina, October 24, 2006

"Throughout the years that she has lived and worked in East Hampton, Ina Garten has catered and attended countless parties and dinners. She will be the first to tell you, though, that nothing beats a cozy dinner, surrounded by the people you love most, in the comfort that only your own home can provide. In Barefoot Contessa at Home, Ina shares her
Janene
Sep 24, 2012 Janene rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Found some treasures here! Hello, HELLO, Lemon Yogurt Cake, and welcome to my life!! So good. Other favorites were the buttermilk mashed potatoes, peanut-butter icing, a couple of vegetarian dishes to try like fresh pea soup, stewed lentils and tomatoes, parmesan roasted cauliflower. Hits! These were just what I was looking for.

In terms of practicality, however, this isn't a cookbook I NEED on my shelf. In fact, it feels like it was written for the rich East Hamptonites, complete with shout-outs
Jeanne
Mar 05, 2015 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Count me as a new fan of the Barefoot Contessa! Her recipes are simple and yet delicious-sounding. I've earmarked several to try, including Triple-Berry Muffins, Omelet for Two, Tomato-Feta Salad, Lemon Fusilli with Arugula and Tomato, and Mozzarella-Pesto Panini. And also the Roasted Red Pepper and Goat Cheese Sandwiches. This is one cookbook where I think high-quality ingredients will make all the difference. Yum!
Noel Gaines
Aug 29, 2016 Noel Gaines rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone throwing a party
Shelves: read-non-fiction
Oh, the Barefoot Contessa. . . I will be honest, she is a bit snooty. However, snooty or not, her cookbooks are great. I use them mainly as ideas for hors d'oeuvres. She has many great recipes for finger food and party dishes. Also, the cookbooks almost always have great pictures.

Heather
Jul 21, 2014 Heather rated it it was ok
Similar to Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics. If the recipes sound good to you, I suggest you search for them online (a number of them are available for free on the Food Network website) before buying the book.
Melissa
Apr 28, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
I picked this one up at the library, but I'll definitely be buying a copy of my own. I've made about a dozen of the recipes so far, such as the Lemon Yogurt Cake and Orange-Honey Glazed Carrots; all of them were incredibly simple and unbelievably tasty, and I love the fact that most of the dishes can be whipped up without making a trip to the store. If you cook on a fairly regular basis and have a decent range of commonly used spices and other pantry staples on hand, you'll love this cookbook.

M
Apr 28, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Her take on Irish Soda Bread was perfect! I love that you can really trust her recipes. Plus, lots of strategies and info on planning menus for informal gatherings. I wish I had this one in my own cookbook library.
Diana
Feb 16, 2014 Diana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This really does what it says on the tin: easy recipes to make at home, again and again. Lots in here that I now know by heart, or ones that I easily tweak for lovely, generally simple meals at home.
Debbie
Jul 05, 2015 Debbie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks-i-own
Some of these recipes seem dated and some just boring, but for the most part they are recipes I'd like to try. From Eli's Asian Salmon to easy Cheese Danish, I'm sure there are some easy and tasty recipes to try.

Ina Garten fills the book with stories and tips for making entertaining easy. Something I really appreciate.
Ann
Jan 19, 2016 Ann rated it it was amazing
Ina is my go to chef! The recipes in this book are great and easy to follow. Some of the recipes require a lot of time but are well worth it, especially the Seafood Gratin.
Kjersten
Mar 18, 2011 Kjersten rated it liked it
I have been a Barefoot Contessa fan for a VERY long time! Her shows, her books...what not is there to love about a foodie that is laid back, loves butter and is not afraid to have a family style meal. This book is a good tribute to her cooking style. She does it simply, but with complex and downright good tastes. I was suprised however, that there were many recipes that were okay or not ever again that I had noted after making. I know that many of these recipes were from her store Barefoot Conte ...more
Sandy
Aug 30, 2014 Sandy rated it liked it
Yummy; she quite the lady. I love her home and the recipes she shares. I had lost my recipe for cabbage rolls and I think I will make hers.
Shandon Graybeal
Mar 24, 2014 Shandon Graybeal rated it it was amazing
Simple (for the most part) and everything is so good. Out of all her cookbooks, there have been very few things I've made and not loved!
Lexi
Nov 10, 2014 Lexi rated it liked it
I did read it but cookbooks feel like a decent way to cheat on my annual reading goal which I'm seriously lagging behind on
Lucyzoe
Feb 15, 2010 Lucyzoe rated it really liked it
You just can't go wrong with a recipe book by Ina Garten. The recipes are full of flavor and perfect for home cooks. Most recipes are made up of common grocery store ingredients...with a few exceptions.

"Something smell really good!" my husband, Jeffrey, exclaims every Friday night when he walks in the door. Most weeks, Jeffrey has been around the world and back and when he walks in that door, I want him to feel that he's really home.

Ina offers delightful stories of her first attempts at making a
Jennifer Landstrom
Jul 19, 2007 Jennifer Landstrom rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all that love to cook
Although the dishes in this book are not exactly figure friendly they are all delicious! Everything I have made has come out perfect! Some favorites are caesar club sandwich, roasted pepper & goat cheese sandwiches, cornish hens with cornbread stuffing and garlic &herb tomatoes. If you are planning a party you can open the book and just make the recipe...Ina Garten must test each recipe 10 times to make sure it is right..it always is!
What I have learned from this cookbook is just relax a
J Wagner
Jul 10, 2014 J Wagner rated it it was amazing
The recipes are so simple and delicious that I find myself using this cookbook, or one of her other ones, every week.
Lee
Apr 22, 2013 Lee rated it it was ok
I really liked her Foolproof cookbook (to the point that I've added it to my wedding registry); but this one was just okay. The recipes were less appealing to my taste buds, and they also felt a bit more gourmet than what I like to cook. (Cooking with capon, lobster and rib-eye steaks are not, unfortunately, "everyday" type ingredients in my world.)

I'll definitely be making copies of a few desserts, though, and I enjoyed reading the narratives at the beginning of each chapter. Even when I don't
Jennifer Nicole
Jun 26, 2015 Jennifer Nicole rated it it was amazing
Not all recipes appeal to me, but this is a great cookbook to own! Well written and visually appealing!
Kris
Aug 12, 2014 Kris rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-the-kitchen
This cookbook contains some great recipes I have made several times over.
Karen Newman
Apr 10, 2015 Karen Newman rated it it was amazing
Recipes are easy to follow. I really enjoy using this cookbook.
  • Giada's Family Dinners
  • Tyler's Ultimate: Brilliant Simple Food to Make Any Time
  • Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook
  • The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • Nigella Bites: From Family Meals to Elegant Dinners--Easy, Delectable Recipes for Any Occasion
  • The New Best Recipe
  • The Bon Appetit Cookbook: Fast Easy Fresh
  • Molto Italiano: 327 Simple Italian Recipes to Cook at Home
  • Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
Ina Rosenberg Garten is an American author, host of the Food Network program Barefoot Contessa, and former White House nuclear policy analyst. Known for designing recipes with an emphasis on fresh ingredients and time-saving tips, she has been noted by Martha Stewart, Oprah Winfrey, and Patricia Wells for her cooking and home entertaining.

Garten had no formal training; she taught herself culinary
More about Ina Garten...