Start by marking “Rethinking Aging: Growing Old and Living Well in an Overtreated Society” as Want to Read:
Rethinking Aging: Growing Old and Living Well in an Overtreated Society

Rethinking Aging: Growing Old and Living Well in an Overtreated Society

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  11 reviews
For those fortunate enough to reside in the developed world, death before reaching a ripe old age is a tragedy, not a fact of life. Although aging and dying are not diseases, older Americans are subject to the most egregious marketing in the name of "successful aging" and "long life," as if both are commodities. In "Rethinking Aging," Nortin M. Hadler examines health-care ...more
Published September 12th 2011 by University of North Carolina Press

To ask other readers questions about Rethinking Aging, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rethinking Aging

Cheryl
Two statements to preface this:
I read this several days ago, and had put so many book darts in the book that I was too intimidated at the thought of collecting the notes from them all, until now, to face writing the review.
And,
I have no idea why some reviewers say this is challenging or dry or a slog. I found it very easy to read & to understand. Good science, clearly & directly written.

So, the other reviewers did most of the work for me, as it turns out. Basically, yes, the premise is t
Judy
Aug 18, 2012 Judy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: health
People in our country are over-medicalized. You're better off without some tests (probably prostate, mammogram etc.). Age 85 really does seem to be a human limit. Overdoing it especially then causes more harm than good. Growing old is not a disease.

I agreed with many of the author's conclusions, but found his writing style a little difficult to read.

page 59: ...eighty-five is a realistic goal in terms of longevity. Longer is wishful thinking, and to stay well much longer than eighty-five is a lo
Carl
I was expecting a "self-help" book of the psychological/sociological persuasion. I’ve been through this type of literature several years ago during the demise of my mom and dad. More recently, I’ve read several of these books for my own peace of mind. Yes, it’s true, the older I am the long it takes to become sexually aroused...this being the greatest take-away from these self help books.

Not so with "Rethinking Aging," a coldly rational view of the current state of geriatric care. The antagonis
Mike
The hypothesis and conclusion of the MD author is that we have no business relying on the medical profession for sound and correct medical advice. Too many drugs, too many unnecessary visits to the doctors' office, too many surgeries, too many surgeries that do not relate to our medical complaints. We have no business going to the doctor because it "is the schedule'" to do so i.e annual physicals, routine XRays,etc. We only need to see a physician if we feel something is wrong like lumps........ ...more
Audrey Layden

Rethinking Aging Growing Old and Living Well in an Overtreated Society by Nortin M. Hadler, M.D. (broadcast 1-16-2012) Dr. Hadler uses his more than 35 years in the medical profession as an honored physician, investigator and educator to bring us an alternative view of aging in our society in the 21st century. Swimming against the current of medicalizing every step of the aging process, he works to make his readers able to make informed medical decisions “unfettered by worrisome notions of healt
Anne
An excellent, clear-eyed look at aging and at the over medicalization of aging. He supported his opinions well and explained to the reader how to look at the confusing information spouted by studies and those who profit from the misunderstanding of the studies. I think this book is important to those of us in our fifth and sixth decades and I recommend it as a tool in the toolbox of aging. it is much more important to read and learn from this book than to read yet another article or book on how ...more
Harry Lane
I would like to have rated this book higher. Dr. Hadler's thesis is that we overexamine and overtreat people. I tend to agree, and came to the book looking for facts and figure to substantiate this. However, I was unwilling to invest the effort it would have taken me to fully follow Hadler through the details of the many studies he cited and the conclusions he drew from them.
Nell
Taking prescription drugs and submitting to medical tests and procedures have too many side effects and unintended consequences for one not to learn about the risks as well as the benefits. Dr. Hadler falls on the skeptical end of the spectrum, and his position sounds pretty persuasive to me. Next up: Your Medical Mind.
Jeanne
This book was chosen by a book group member...not my normal 'cup of tea', but it turned out to be an interesting and thought provoking read. And best of all the group had lots to discuss.
Gloria
Very interesting. Worthy of discussion among those caring for older adults. Didn't agree with all of it, but many of his points were right on. We need to focus more on quality of life.
Shirley
Very worthwhile.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
John Hunter
John Hunter is currently reading it
Mar 01, 2014
Yvensong
Yvensong marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Jim Thomas
Jim Thomas marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Madhavi Mukkavilli
Madhavi Mukkavilli marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2013
Dolly
Dolly marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Worried Sick: A Prescription for Health in an Overtreated America The Last Well Person: How to Stay Well Despite the Health-Care System Stabbed in the Back: Confronting Back Pain in an Overtreated Society The Citizen Patient: Reforming Health Care for the Sake of the Patient, Not the System Occupational Musculoskeletal Disorders