Becoming Quinn (Jonathan Quinn, #0.1)

Becoming Quinn (Jonathan Quinn 0.1)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  548 ratings  ·  56 reviews
From winning author Brett Battles comes the new Jonathan Quinn thriller BECOMING QUINN.

Most careers begin with an interview and a handshake. Others require a little … something more.

Meet Jake Oliver. The day will come when he's one of the best cleaners in the business, a man skilled at making bodies disappear.

At the moment, however, he's a twenty-two year old rookie cop,...more
Published May 14th 2011 by Amazon Digital Services, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Becoming Quinn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming Quinn

Josh
One of the better 'origin' stories I've read. Jake Oliver (Quinn) is an honest cop too smart for his own good. First on the scene of a suspected arson, he soon uncovers clues about a more sinister crime, one that will lead him down a path of shattered dreams, fallen friends, and ultimately, a new profession.

Author Brett Battles instils a sense of the familiar to the origin tale by opening the novel with a scene likened to any of the Quinn books to date: A hit team on a mission with the 'cleaner'...more
TJ
Absolutely superb! Everything one might look for in a suspense/thriller, all wrapped up in a novella length, quick read - NOT easy to do! I'm impressed... Think I'll continue this series and see if they are all so tightly written and riveting!
P.D. Martin
I’d heard great things about Brett Battles and especially his Quinn series, so when I heard about this prequel, Becoming Quinn, I thought it would be a good place to start. Not the first Quinn book released, but still kind of at the beginning of the series.

It’s obvious from the first few pages that Battles is a wonderful author. He skilfully introduces two main characters and points of view, giving the reader an insight into both characters and their very different worlds – worlds that end up i...more
Harry
Following my discovery of Lee Child's hero, I began scouring the genre landscape for similar heroes: alone, powerful, possessing principles (even in professions that refute that notion). One evening, during such research I stumbled across the author Brett Battles and his unlikely hero: Jonathan Quinn.

What we have here is a principled cleaner: you know, the guy that cleans up after grissly killings. (Well, I did say it is an unlikely hero). He reminds us of Eisler's John Rain. The man has a stric...more
Elizabeth A.
Jake Oliver is a bright-eyed, ambitious, twenty two year old rookie officer with the Phoenix Police Department. While out on patrol with his training officer one evening they are dispatched to the location of a 911 call requesting officer assistance. Upon arriving at the remote location they find a barn engulfed in flames and call in the fire department.

While waiting, Jake conducts a walk around of the property and notices some odd details – including a cable-like indention in the ground leading...more
Jonathan Quinn, cleaner. Extremely good at his job in body removal & leaving no trace. I've loved Brett Battles's Quinn series since The Cleaner was first published. I was hooked because I'd never read a book with this type of character or story line. Through each book in the series, you learn more about what Quinn's job entails & the types of people that hire him. But I had never really given thought to how Quinn got to where he was. Until now.

Becoming Quinn, although it's only a novel...more
Eric_W
A novella revealing how Jake, a Phoenix rookie cop, becomes Jonathan Quinn, "cleaner" for a super secret security agency. Sent to check out reports of a prowler, Jake and his partner come upon the scene of a fire with a badly burned body. Jake has preternaturally acute attention to detail and he notices several anomalies missed by the crime scene techs. Unfortunately, that ability and his overactive need to investigate places him at odds with his superiors -- and those who were involved in what,...more
J.D.
One of the coolest things about the e-book revolution is that it's provided more openings for the shorter literary forms, like the short story and the novella. I've always enjoyed the novella form. It's a quick read, but there's more time to develop character and more chances to crank up the suspense than you can usually found in the short story.

Becoming Quinn is the novella done right. It's short, tightly written, full of action, but at the same time it gives you the opportunity to really get...more
Paula Howard
Becoming Quinn is a prequel to the Jonathan Quinn series by Brett Battles. Quinn was a rookie cop, Jake Oliver, in Phoenix, AZ. He hadn't been on the force long when they are called to a crime scene. Jake is extremely observant and notices evidence not found by others at the scene of the crime. With his keen scense of logic he is able to actually identify those involved in the murder and cover-up.

Jake lands himself smack dab in the middle of a government sanctioned murder. Durrie, the cleaner fo...more
Ubiquitousbastard
I'm an old fan of the series, and I finally got around to reading this because I needed to ameliorate the damage from reading the oh-so unimpressive No Return A Novel. Luckily, this did that perfectly. Quinn was still Quinn, but obviously not quite the person he is in the series. So, I thought that was done well. Overall, the pace was a tad bit slow for a novella, but once it got started the rest went by very quickly. I admit it: I kind of liked the perspective of Durrie as well. I think this ga...more
Chip Atkinson
I purchased this 9 months ago and tried to listen to it. But I am impulsive and compulsive and did not give it proper attention. I know this because this time I started it from the beginning and was riveted for the next 8 hours of listening.

It begins with a covert hit of some kind by highly trained professionals. The man in charge of cover up, called a cleaner, notes a few mistakes made during the operation, but is confident all loose ends are covered. But when a 22 year old rookie police office...more
Giovanni Gelati

Hello again! Yes I am back from vacation and oh so happy to be back here in the blogosphere. Wait, no, retract that; I would prefer to be on the beach listening to the surf roll but since I am not independently wealthy yet, I need to get back in the saddle and back to work. Okay that cleared up, so there is no misunderstanding, and I am perfectly clear, let’s get ready to rumble. As a side note : yesterday was the first day back on the air with The G-ZONE, my blogtalk radio show, and my guests w...more
Rabid Readers Reviews
“Becoming Quinn” by Brett Battles is the novella featuring Jack Oliver who would later become the cleaner known as Jonathon Quinn. We meet Jake as a young Phoenix police officer following the loose thread of a crime. Jake, a 22 year old rookie cop on patrol responds with his partner when a barn goes up in flames. Once the flames are extinguished a murder victim is found. Working on pure instinct, Jake tracks the killers but the killers are also tracking Jake.

I really like Brett Battles style and...more
Tammy Sparks
OK, I’ll admit it. I know Brett Battles personally. In fact, Brett and I met years ago, when we were both freshmen in high school, during auditions for the school play “The Pajama Game.” (He got a part, I didn’t.) Since then, we’ve gone our separate ways, lost touch and gotten back in touch again more than once, helped each other through personal crises, and celebrated milestones and triumphs together. Most recently, I’ve had the pleasure of reading Brett’s manuscripts before they were published...more
Christie
Jun 10, 2013 Christie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Christie by: Pixel of Ink
I picked this book up from Pixel of Ink for free. Not knowing anything other than the brief description that was listed on Pixel of Ink's website then on Amazon's, I was curious. I honestly don't know if I would have even started reading this if I knew that it was a prequel to a series of books. I hate getting into a book, then find out it's a series and then you are now in a Mexican standoff with the book. Do you buy the following books or do you stop with the first one????

First of all, this is...more
Mike
This is the first in the series I've read and it moves along in a lively fashion. Since I'm way behind the curve with the Quinn books, this is a prequel, all I can say is that I enjoyed reading the story and may try another, although Quinn presented me with no special incentive to follow his doings rather than those of the many other fictional characters of his ilk. Perhaps he stands out more in his mature later adventures.
Jim A
Providing a more complete back story for series characters is apparently the vogue for authors. Battles does it with this novella. Lee Child did it with The Affair and his short story Second Son and Vince Flynn's American Assassin goes back to Mitch Rapp's beginnings.

For my part, I really like it. Too much back story in the course of a novel detracts from the plot. Not enough and the reader, at least this reader, tends to be lost. It is also a way for the author to continue with a character seri...more
Shelly
A guts-and-guns action thriller with a decidedly PG-13 rating which I was sooo glad about. In fact, one of the two f-bombs dropped was used as an actual adjective (which is almost unheard of!) and not an expletive. The other was an expletive, used by the smarmy villian and since I hear worse from the elementary playground when picking up my niece at school, it didn't rankle so much. Now, I'm not excusing such language, but in light of what I've read and discarded in the past 2 months this was ta...more
Brandon Nagel
Excellent prequel to an outstanding series of books. Becoming Quinn is the story of how it all began. If you are not familiar with the books this would be a great starting point. If you have read the series (I have read about 5 of them) this was a nice treat. Highly recommended.
Steve
Mar 28, 2012 Steve rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Steve by: Pixel of Ink
Shelves: ebook, thriller, reviewed
This is the first thing I have read by Brett Battles. I downloaded it for free from Amazon to my Kindle Touch, because it looked interesting, even though this is a novella, and not a full length novel.

I figured if I was going to read books by this author, I should read about the origin of the character first. I am glad I did.

I will definitely be reading the Jonathan Quinn series, due to how well this was written. I think it is a good read, with a lot of background about the character.

I don't wan...more
Maggie Reed
Without a doubt, Brett has talent. This is clearly the first book of a series, and yet it stands alone at the same time it prepares you for the next in the series. It is a great start to the career of a young man who thought he would do one thing with his life and jumps a universe away into something different while it uses all the skills and inborn talent few would have in a situation like this. Thank you, once again, Brett, and if anyone has not delved into his Project Eden series, too, I sugg...more
jean collins
Great story !

Love this first book of becoming Jonathon Quinn and looking forward to reading the series. Well written love the characters!
Aarre Laakso
A short one. Gurrie is a good guy here, not like later on....
Holly Rann
it was a very good book
Jessie Verino
Loved this origin story! I picked it for free on Kindle, having never read any Jonathan Quinn novels, and now I'm hooked.

The events that lead to Jake's transformation kept me transfixed to the point that I missed an hour's worth of sleep to finish it.

I was a little disappointed in that we never see Jake's actual decision. That the story goes abruptly from him contemplating his future to the training facility with Durrie.

Still, a great read.
Brad Lamorgese
Did you ever wonder how Jonathan Quinn became Jonathan Quinn? Look no further. Battles takes us back in time to when Jonathan Quinn was Jake Oliver, a rookie cop with the Phoenix P.D. This is an excellent novella and gives us another glimpse into Quinn's past. Read this and learn how Quinn became The Cleaner! As a surprise, Battles also tells us why Jonathan Quinn is named Jonathan Quinn. I really enjoyed it.
Estrella

I loved this book. Makes me want to read the entire Jonathan Quinn series. I could barely put this book down. I look forward to getting into this series from Battles. I just worry that I won't be able to do anything else besides reading them. Bravo!

Revised review: Anyone starting the Jonathan Quinn series should start with this novella. It's a great intro to Jonathan Quinn.
Jayme Langhorst
This is the first Jonathan Quinn novel I've read. I think I may have gotten more out of it had I read some of the other books prior to this one despite this is the prequel to "The Cleaner". It was a decent read and I'll probably some of the other books in the series. This particular book didn't contain a lot of gore, which I appreciated. It gave a picture w/o churning my stomach.
Joe Vitucci
Nice. Does this stuff happen for real, other than in the minds of writers? How would I know! Take a rookie cop with some initiative, for which he gets fired, and then is recruited by the 'cleaner' that's supposed to eradicate him. And the interesting other stuff that happens. A very good read by Brett Battles. I'll look for more by this author.
Steve
Every great character needs a great origin story. The first book in the Quinn series hints at a powerful backstory but leaves the reader to wonder. Becoming Quinn was a masterful look at the origins of a character with great depth. It answers many questions about Quinn and completes an already solid foundation for the Quinn series.
  • All the Blue-Eyed Angels (Erin Solomon Pentalogy, #1)
  • Take No More (James Blake, #1)
  • Hostage Zero (Jonathan Grave, #2)
  • Guilt Trip (A Blanco County Mystery #4)
  • A Touch of Deceit
  • The Covert Element (James Becker, #3)
  • Volcano Watch (The Forensic Geology Series, #2)
  • Cool Blue Tomb (Soc Series)
  • The Bet
  • Unhinged
  • The Missings
  • The Philanthropist's Danse
  • The Storm Killer
  • Vigilante (Vigilante, #1)
Brett Battles is a Barry Award-winning author of over twenty novels, including Rewinder, the Jonathan Quinn series, the Logan Harper series, and the Project Eden series. He’s also the coauthor, with Robert Gregory Browne, of the Alexandra Poe series. You can learn more at his website: brettbattles.com
More about Brett Battles...
The Cleaner (Jonathan Quinn, #1) The Deceived (Jonathan Quinn, #2) Sick (Project Eden, #1) Shadow of Betrayal (Jonathan Quinn, #3) The Silenced (Jonathan Quinn, #4)