If One Dream Should Fall and Break

If One Dream Should Fall and Break (Hot Summer Days)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Free novelette written for the M/M Romance group's "Hot Summer Days" event.

----------
Genres/Tags: Gay M/M / Science Fiction / Reunited / Interspecies / In the Closet / Friends to Lovers
Approx. Word Count: 9,279

Bev

A cute little story from the Hot Summer Days event on GR, featuring Jeremy who is still extremely peeved that his best friend (and boyfriend) Mal disappeared 5 years ago without a word. When Malachi returns...completely unexpectedly and explains what happened then and what is happening now, a rather surprising revelation is made. 3.5 stars.
Heather C
Hmm. I could not get into this. Didn't really understand what was going on so I didn't see the point in finishing.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
I think my expectations made me like this less maybe, but with tags “friends-to-lovers” and “reunited” I was expecting some sexual tension and getting to know each other again.

(view spoiler)...more
Arthur
Jeremy and Malachi (Mal) were couple before, until one day Mal just left Jeremy alone in their small town. One day, out of blue, Mal came back. (view spoiler). Will they be reunited?

I usually like childhood-friends-turn-lovers story. This plot, however, doesn't do much to me. It feels like from an old science fiction movie from the 1950s, or an episo...more
Wendy (wluvsbooks)
Wow, totally didn't see that storyline coming from that picture. Loved the uniqueness of it!!! I also loved the humor sprinkled in the story, such as:

“I mean, you can tell, if you know what to look for. They have flat, cold eyes. Their facial expressions are never quite…right.”

Jeremy mulled this over. “So Dick Cheney’s one? And maybe Donald Trump?”

LOL at that section:) As for the wings? Oh, my! I've developed a new fetish. Everything about the wings was amazingly hot! Thank you so much for an...more
CAS
Ok.. I confess, I was on the fence with the alien tag.. BUT I really love this picture and now I love this story as well as Jeremy and Mal. The wings really did me in. :)

“You ever show them your wings?” The deep, possessive growl in his voice shocked him, but he didn’t apologize for it.
“Hell, no.”
“Good.” He shoved the shirt off Mal’s shoulders and got his arms out of the sleeves in a rough yank. “Let’s have the wings back.”

Yes, lets! :)

Rachel
Very original, interesting concept and I loved Jeremy and Mal!

Loved this little exchange:
(view spoiler)

Very original ideas, hot story, I really loved it!
SueM
So totally didn't see aliens being in this story, but it worked! I loved the Ankles & Techies and loved the original way of shapeshifting! :) Thank you for writing this story Angel. (I had to snicker at the angel reference when I connected it to who the author was...)
Sadonna
Jul 23, 2011 Sadonna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: free, mm
Highly imaginative, creative short story that could expand into a full length novel. Includes lost love, reunions, surprises and more.
Zach Sweets
Loved this one! Looking forward to read more about them maybe battle scenes? *hints hints* :D
Kendra
This was a cute short story about lovers who were separated for 5 years until the one who left comes back. I thought the story itself was great and the characters were relatable. I wish there had been a bit of discussion about why he came back at that exact time. What drove him back after so long (or made him wait as long as he did). (view spoiler) Angel writes sci-fi really well. Despite it not being my f...more
Neyjour
Story Prompt:
These boys were best friends growing up and then 5 years ago they got separated when one of them moved away. They've just unexpectedly reunited in this small town diner somewhere in the Northeast. Based on this picture it looks like their accidental meeting is turning into something more than just childhood best friends running into each other later in life. Please give these cute boys a happy ever after ending.

Tuğçe Sevin
I am glad it was a short one,i didn't actually felt like it was Sci-fi, it was mainly a short romantic and quite the cheesy story. The characters were pretty flat and shallow which many short stories' main problem. The only thing i enjoyed was J's inner voice and struggles which died pretty easily. The alien thing felt really forced and very very unrealistic with no real world creation beneath the story. Everything fell into pieces easily and smoothly, and a very easy HEA.
Trish
3.5 stars.

this was a pretty good short story. the writing was good, minus a few typos.... the mc's were very likable.

as sci-fi is not really my type of reading, i really appreciated this story was more character driven than world building, however, i think the author has a pretty good premise.

Miriki

“If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, don’t be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.”

Very creative, but the reunion was happening too fast IMO. It'd have been better if the story were longer.
This was sweet. I liked the guys and the sci-fi aspect was interesting but the forming of his wings was just too weird. Nice HEA.
Charlie Richards
Very cute short story...
Aniko
3.5 to 3.75 stars
Nancy Jones
Nancy Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Chrystal
Chrystal marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Lelyana Taufik
Lelyana Taufik marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Brittney Bower
Brittney Bower marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Diem
Diem added it
Jan 29, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2013
  • Appearing Knightly
  • Freedom's Souvenir
  • Sucker-Punch
  • Friday I'm In Love
  • Mourning (Don't Read in the Closet)
  • Between Friends
  • Cupid's Beau
  • Twenty Years Later: Welcome Home to the Conquering Hero
  • Hold Me Tight
  • Pyrogasm
Angel Martinez currently lives part time in the hectic sprawl of northern Delaware and full time inside her head. She has one husband, one son, two cats, a love of all things beautiful and a terrible addiction to the consumption of both knowledge and chocolate.

Angel's alter ego writes the all-ages science fiction - Sandra Stixrude.
More about Angel Martinez...
Gravitational Attraction Prisoner 374215 Boots Finn (Endangered Fae #1) Vassily the Beautiful