Start by marking “Hidden Amongst Stars” as Want to Read:
Hidden Amongst Stars

Hidden Amongst Stars (Don't Read in the Closet Events)

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  123 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Dear Author,
1950's, film stars tied to the studio system, celebrities with images to maintain, lovers. One of these things is not like the other. Stealing every chance together they can. Staving off broken hearts as long as possible. One believes in love; one is afraid to.

Photo Description: In nostalgic black-and-white, two men with eyes closed share a private moment again
Published July 11th 2011 by M/M Romance Group @ Goodreads

To ask other readers questions about Hidden Amongst Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden Amongst Stars

Exina
5 years in 10 pages – hardly enough for a decent story. Again, here is a story that is not suitable for a novella.

The first scene was engaging and vivid, but after that the story became superficial, with huge plot holes. It was like a summary of a novel, spiked with short dialogues, and sadly zero erotica.

Marte
* 1 hollywood star *

---------------------------
"What's an image worth?" (...)
"What's a broken heart worth?"
---------------------------

Well, that were moments wasted...

I hate time line jumps.

----------------------------------------------------

A short story in the collection"Don't Read in the Closet, Volume Two"from the MM Romance Group Hot Summer Event 2011.

ClickHEREfor the story online orHEREto downloadthe whole collection for your reading device.

Picture and prompt:

(view spoiler)
Britta ★ Nachteule ★

***Read as part of the free Don't Read in the Closet: Volume Two anthology. Story #7***

Without the fade to blacks and the time jumps it could have been great. But as it is now it's more like some appetizer for a full length novel.
Bookwatcher
Jul 16, 2011 Bookwatcher rated it it was amazing
Shelves: glbt-gay, romance, free
What you would do, if must pay the highest price to have a success career? If the price you must pay is your happiness?

David is a rising star in Hollywood. Robert is already a famous actor, in the top of his career.

What two men can desire other than fame and money? They both have it all! Big houses... a large group of friends... why they are not happy? They must only pretend they are not lovers... they don't want each other... they must act, also in real life, denying they are gay.

Keep living.
Neyjour
Story Prompt:

CAS
Jul 19, 2011 CAS rated it really liked it
This is something that has always fascinated me, the very strict image requirements imposed on the actors of that era by the studios they were contracted to.
You captured that beautifully.
I really enjoyed this story, very much so.
Thanks for sharing. :)

Sadonna
Dec 16, 2011 Sadonna rated it liked it
Shelves: pdf, free, mm, anthology
Loved this. Really captured the feeling of the times and really makes you think about how many people must have had to live their lives as lies. Beautiful interpretation of the picture.

TayaJay
Dec 12, 2014 TayaJay rated it really liked it
This was a cute addition to Hot Summer Days event by MM Romance group. I been slowly but surely been making my way through the stories and sadly I have hundreds to go. This is a snack bite fiction which good but not fulfilling. I know this common thought when reading these shorts for these events is that you wish it was longer but rarely would author work on an expanded story. I simply love this story and wish there was more.
SueM
I remember commenting on this photo that it had a Rock Hudson feel to it... I guess it's no surprise that I really liked Rock's cameo appearance! Loved the whole old Hollywood glamour setting while capturing the likely harsh reality of behind the scenes. Thank you Nicole!
Wendy Ann
A very authentic feel for the time period and great characters! I could totally empathize with their difficulty in maintaining a public persona and having to hide their true relationship. I loved David's bravery in the end:) Great story!

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
It was enjoyable but I don’t like the way it skipped years at a time and we never really got to know the characters or anything

Librarian Kate
Nov 09, 2011 Librarian Kate rated it really liked it
Short, concise, and very sweet. Not in the goopy way, but in the nothing-wasted, makes-you-say-awwww kind of way. For when you just gotta have the HEA...
Rachel
Nice story and interesting look into actors working in the Hollywood studios of the 50's.
Ryan Loveless
Jul 18, 2011 Ryan Loveless rated it really liked it
Great capturing of "the way we were". :)
E
Jul 31, 2011 E rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story of choosing love over fame.
Dani
Cute and short, but surprisingly sad.

“Dreams die or change. You see the truth behind the glitz and the glamour, behind the walls and lights of Hollywood. Your heart gets broken one too many times and you lose the ability to believe in love and sometimes even in the reality of life. Days blend into one another; nights blend from one party to the next.”
Kath
Well i can say that between the years that we didn't get to see, i would have liked even the smallest pick, to at least have been able to see circumstances that made their relationship stronger, but i guess to had to be "short". It was kind of nice tho.
I would like a bit of a continuation tho, just to see where everything goes from here... ^_^
Serena
Apr 27, 2016 Serena rated it liked it
Shelves: gr-dritc, romance-mm
Don't Read in the Closet: Volume Two

My Rating System:
* couldn't finish, ** wouldn't recommend, *** would recommend, **** would read again, ***** have read again
GlamLawyer
Dec 18, 2014 GlamLawyer rated it it was ok
2.5 stars nice plot idea but sadly it reads more like a blurb than a story.
France-Andrée
Aug 31, 2013 France-Andrée rated it it was ok
I found the story too episodic for me, I didn't feel anything for the two lovers because we never get to meet them properly; they are only snapshots. It's really too bad because I think from the prompt and picture this could have been a very deep tortured story.
Aniko
Apr 08, 2012 Aniko rated it liked it
qx
Jul 12, 2011 qx rated it liked it
2.5
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
De-Ann
De-Ann rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
  • Beneath Your Wings
  • Cupid's Beau
  • Between Friends
  • Sucker-Punch
  • Hidden Needs (Secrets of the Sanctuary, #1)
  • If One Dream Should Fall and Break
  • The Boy Next Door
  • Mourning
  • Dog Days of Summer
  • It's the End of the World As We Know It
  • Hold Me Tight
  • Innocence to the Max (Iunctiō Cōpula, #0.5)
  • Trust
  • Be a Bad Boy

Don't Read in the Closet Events (1 - 10 of 688 books)
  • Bobby's Christmas Gift
  • A Bugger to Pack
  • Christmas Gifts
  • Christmas in the Sandbox
  • Cocklebur's Christmas
  • The Conquerors (Zero-G wrestling)
  • Crying Wolf (Portals, #2.5)
  • D.N.A.: Double Helix