Practical Genius: The Real Smarts You Need to Get Your Talents and Passions Working for YOU

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  11 reviews
WHAT’S YOUR GENIUS? Most people consider genius to be a gift, a “lightning bolt from the gods” that strikes people like Einstein or Mozart, but not the rest of us. They see it as a quality—like creativity—that has a magical, exclusive, elusive connotation.

That is simply not true, says Gina Rudan. Every one of us has a capacity for genius. Anyone is capable of achieving som...more
Published October 11th 2011 by Touchstone (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Practical Genius, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Practical Genius

John Stepper
"Practical Genius" is one of those rare books that can change you. Make you think differently. Alter your course in life.

The book is based on a simple, powerful premise: "when you are a fully realized person - authentic and entirely visible to the world - you are capable of exceptional accomplishments in your work, in your community, and among your friends and family."

Gina Rudan introduces this beautiful and lofty idea on page 5. And the rest of the book brings that idea to life, delivering a p...more
James
Pretty good business, self help book about uncovering your unique gifts and passion in whatever industry (or place) you find yourself. Rudan argues that we are all geniuses or have the potential to be when we wed our hard assets (skills, expertise and abilities) with our soft personal assets (values, passions and creativity). She gives practical advice about expressing your 'genius' through story, effective communication and body language. She advocates cultivating relationships with other geniu...more
Loy Machedo
Loy Machedo’s Book Review – Practical Genius by Gina Amaro Rudan

In the Self Improvement Universe there are many phases.
Before the buzz words which were used, were Rich, Success, Positive Mental Attitude, Positive Thinking and Sales. Then the phase turned to Secrets, Happiness, Leadership, Management, Attraction, Laws and Spirituality. Now the buzz words seem to be Marketing, Greatness, Happiness, Charisma, Health, Detox and Genius.

And this is where Gina Amarao Rudan book ‘Practical Genius’ com...more
Joseph
the book is like a compilation of all self help books that you have read before. To be fair, I think it's really hard to write an original self help book these days...

the layout of the book is simple with 5 steps:
(1) identify
(2) express
(3) surround
(4) sustain
(5) market

I practically flipped through the book - however, there are interesting bits here and there
This is like 10 different business/self-help books in one! While much of the information is found in other books, there's some new "meat" here too. Here you'll find tips for all ages, but this would make a special gift for someone in their 20s who is just figuring out what to do with his or her life. Note: Gina gives credit to Herbert Library in North Miami, where she wrote the book, but the actual name is the Glenn Hubert Library.
Rob Cantrall
I haven't decided what I really think about this one...I generally agree with the notion that we are all capable of doing something interesting/exciting/good, but I'm not sure that the nuts and bolts of this book really got me there on the HOW. Granted, I didn't follow the directions step by step, but I also didn't see enough science and evidence to support some of the bigger proclamations.
Shaina Leis
I read this book a long time so my review is probably not the most accurate. In this book, Rudan helps the reader connect strengths with passions. This book is not going to help you if you just try to understand it conceptually. You must do the activities/ exercises.
Glenn Carter
In the beginning I was a little skeptical where this book was going. By the end I picked up some true insights on how to let my genius flourish. It's light, easy to read and overall a positive experience in finding your authentic self.
Melissa Shapiro
Ms. Rudan gives the average professional a new vantage point on how to evaluate and brand one's own personal "genius." Great book if you are in the process of making a career change or interested in taking your career to the next level.
Eric
This is a book that will really make you take a look at yourself. I love books like this that make you think and make you want to get better. Now I just need to figure out where my hard assets and soft assets intersect...
Jennifer Chang
Skimmed through a lot of it, but a few key chapters (particularly the ones about "sustaining your genius") made this book worthwhile.
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Andrew
Andrew added it
Jul 20, 2014
Corbin
Corbin added it
Jul 01, 2014
Scott Hartman
Scott Hartman marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Maxwell
Maxwell marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Harvey
Harvey marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Asrar Merchant
Asrar Merchant marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Carina Baker
Carina Baker marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Om (Sonny) Gupta
Om (Sonny) Gupta marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Kristen Barker
Kristen Barker marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014