Start by marking “Practical Genius: The Real Smarts You Need to Get Your Talents and Passions Working for YOU” as Want to Read:

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
WHAT’S YOUR GENIUS? Most people consider genius to be a gift, a “lightning bolt from the gods” that strikes people like Einstein or Mozart, but not the rest of us. They see it as a quality—like creativity—that has a magical, exclusive, elusive connotation.

That is simply not true, says Gina Rudan. Every one of us has a capacity for genius. Anyone is capable of achieving som
Published October 11th 2011 by Touchstone (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Practical Genius, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Practical Genius

John Stepper
Oct 28, 2011 John Stepper rated it it was amazing
"Practical Genius" is one of those rare books that can change you. Make you think differently. Alter your course in life.

The book is based on a simple, powerful premise: "when you are a fully realized person - authentic and entirely visible to the world - you are capable of exceptional accomplishments in your work, in your community, and among your friends and family."

Gina Rudan introduces this beautiful and lofty idea on page 5. And the rest of the book brings that idea to life, delivering a p
Benson Huang
Jun 20, 2016 Benson Huang rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised with the insight I gained from this book. Gina Rudan uses a variety of examples and lessons that accumulate to form a very whole and comprehensive path to find a balance in work and passion.

To be clear, I speed the second half of the book and am commenting about the overall lessons from the novel. I believe she has the right idea towards going about how we should advance our ever-growing lives as a protege through inwardly searching and identifying what our strengths
Cassidy Hill
Jan 23, 2016 Cassidy Hill rated it really liked it
I picked this book up at my local dollar tree and it was definitely worth my small investment.

It's a light read but has the potential to make a big impact if you let it. The book is broken into parts, or steps if you will, that guide you onto your own unique path of self discovery. Gina Amaro Rudan provides real life examples and asks thought provoking questions to lead you to find your sweet spot when it comes to skills and passions, and ultimately finding what makes your genius shine. There ar
James
May 23, 2012 James rated it really liked it
Pretty good business, self help book about uncovering your unique gifts and passion in whatever industry (or place) you find yourself. Rudan argues that we are all geniuses or have the potential to be when we wed our hard assets (skills, expertise and abilities) with our soft personal assets (values, passions and creativity). She gives practical advice about expressing your 'genius' through story, effective communication and body language. She advocates cultivating relationships with other geniu ...more
Loy Machedo
Apr 03, 2013 Loy Machedo rated it it was ok
Loy Machedo’s Book Review – Practical Genius by Gina Amaro Rudan

In the Self Improvement Universe there are many phases.
Before the buzz words which were used, were Rich, Success, Positive Mental Attitude, Positive Thinking and Sales. Then the phase turned to Secrets, Happiness, Leadership, Management, Attraction, Laws and Spirituality. Now the buzz words seem to be Marketing, Greatness, Happiness, Charisma, Health, Detox and Genius.

And this is where Gina Amarao Rudan book ‘Practical Genius’ com
Joseph
Mar 25, 2014 Joseph rated it it was ok
the book is like a compilation of all self help books that you have read before. To be fair, I think it's really hard to write an original self help book these days...

the layout of the book is simple with 5 steps:
(1) identify
(2) express
(3) surround
(4) sustain
(5) market

I practically flipped through the book - however, there are interesting bits here and there
Marita
Feb 28, 2015 Marita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard core find your self and get going book. Great motivational lecture sounding reading that made me want to take notes and really listen up.
Michael Tarpinian
Boring. The author got a vanity project published.
Aug 18, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
This is like 10 different business/self-help books in one! While much of the information is found in other books, there's some new "meat" here too. Here you'll find tips for all ages, but this would make a special gift for someone in their 20s who is just figuring out what to do with his or her life. Note: Gina gives credit to Herbert Library in North Miami, where she wrote the book, but the actual name is the Glenn Hubert Library.
Rob Cantrall
Nov 28, 2011 Rob Cantrall rated it liked it
I haven't decided what I really think about this one...I generally agree with the notion that we are all capable of doing something interesting/exciting/good, but I'm not sure that the nuts and bolts of this book really got me there on the HOW. Granted, I didn't follow the directions step by step, but I also didn't see enough science and evidence to support some of the bigger proclamations.
Shaina Leis
Nov 02, 2013 Shaina Leis rated it liked it
I read this book a long time so my review is probably not the most accurate. In this book, Rudan helps the reader connect strengths with passions. This book is not going to help you if you just try to understand it conceptually. You must do the activities/ exercises.
Glenn Carter
Feb 05, 2012 Glenn Carter rated it really liked it
In the beginning I was a little skeptical where this book was going. By the end I picked up some true insights on how to let my genius flourish. It's light, easy to read and overall a positive experience in finding your authentic self.
Melissa Shapiro
Nov 02, 2011 Melissa Shapiro rated it it was amazing
Ms. Rudan gives the average professional a new vantage point on how to evaluate and brand one's own personal "genius." Great book if you are in the process of making a career change or interested in taking your career to the next level.
Eric
Jul 24, 2012 Eric rated it really liked it
This is a book that will really make you take a look at yourself. I love books like this that make you think and make you want to get better. Now I just need to figure out where my hard assets and soft assets intersect...
Velvetink
May 25, 2015 Velvetink is currently reading it
Shelves: psychology, diy, self-help
tuebl
Jennifer Chang
Dec 31, 2012 Jennifer Chang rated it liked it
Skimmed through a lot of it, but a few key chapters (particularly the ones about "sustaining your genius") made this book worthwhile.
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
L.A.
L.A. marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Somi
Somi rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Javier
Javier added it
Apr 20, 2016
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Maria BF
Maria BF rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Crystal Gonzales
Crystal Gonzales marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Jordi
Jordi marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Lori
Lori added it
Feb 28, 2016
Jennifer Atwood
Jennifer Atwood marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016