Start by marking “The Trouble with Magic” as Want to Read:
The Trouble with Magic

The Trouble with Magic

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  186 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
A trinity of stories about magic, and all the trouble that arises when magic and emotion collide.

The Dragon Slayer—Tane has been banished to a remote village and bound there by magic. With nowhere else to go and nothing better to do, he has taken the village under his care and protects it by killing the dragons that plague the area. Then he meets a dragon that refuses to d
Published September 28th 2011 by Less Than Three Press (first published August 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Trouble with Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trouble with Magic

Deeze
Nov 18, 2014 Deeze rated it really liked it
3.5

While this is exactly my type of story with magic and an adorable dragon, I found I couldn't quite love this as much as I wanted too.

The first story had Balron who I loved. Sweet adorable dragons falling in love is one of my favorite themes. Tane was interesting and grumpy so a perfect match for sweet Balron.

The story was interesting but I found my mind wandering at times.

The second story had Nikkai, Tanes brother and another character I loved. Nikkai has a clumsy appearance that had an int
Cole Riann
Another fun anthology by Sasha Miller! I really enjoy these anthologies that she and Megan Derr seem to like to write that are collections of stories which are all intricately twined.

This story is the culmination of The Dragon Slayer and the beginning of Ashei Nikkai's story, which ends with Family Business.

The Dragon Slayer - 3.75 stars

Fun story with really great relationship dynamics and funny bickering between the main characters. Suffers a small bit from being the setup to the world of all t
Seregil
Jul 25, 2014 Seregil rated it liked it
Three interconnected short stories of mages, dragons and another creature that remains a mystery for the first half of the book :) Giving it 3.5 stars because that creature kind of remained a mystery even after we find out its name, family and place of birth.... :) I was totally curious about the abilities and nature of that kind of creature.
I liked the first couple most. They kind of were the most badass in my opinion. They were unusually powerful, but satisfied with little: both of them happy
H.V. Corbin
This book is a trio of interconnected stories centering on magic and love. The writing style reads a bit like a novelization of an anime or manga. Each story picks up right after the last, but with a focus on a new romance. For an overall average, I give this book a 4/5 stars.

The Dragon Slayer – 3/5 stars
It was cute and funny. The writing was at a fast clip pace, but kind of left me wishing it had been spaced a bit more, to spend a longer time on showing the couple’s developing relationship. Ta
Susan
Apr 22, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-read, z-2012
There were three stories in this book, each of them interlinked with the others. The first story introduced Tane, a mage who protects a village from dragons. He was my favourite character from all the stories and he was grumpy and bad-tempered and liked to appear as if he would never do or say anthing nice. In the course of his duties he comes across Balron, a white dragon who refuses to die. I loved the relationship between Balron and Tane, especially Balron who spends a lot of his time being a ...more
Li-li Smith
Nov 23, 2011 Li-li Smith rated it really liked it
I definitely enjoyed the read, it was the perfect cute warm, its-not-suppose-to-snow-in-Early-November Read. Despite others complaints I found Tane's grouchy personality quite enjoyable, and very realistic. He had some redeeming qualities, and I definitely enjoyed watching him get flabbergasted any time things didn't go the way he thought things should. The other stories were equally good, and quite funny (but no one complained so I don't feel like explaining why).

it gets a 4 instead of an 5, b
Arthur
Oct 09, 2011 Arthur rated it liked it
This is a nice three-related stories. Unfortunately, the choice of having a not-so-likable main character in the opening story kind of ruin the whole book for me. The second story is the best for me. The last story is also nice, although the way the conflict is solved feels a bit too easy.

Many of Ms. Miller's stories have similar tone as her colleague, Megan Derr. In fact, the world building in their fantasy stories are the same: a world where being gay is not an issue. However, I often feel som
Sue
Mar 08, 2013 Sue rated it really liked it
I liked the way the three stories are interlinked; I wasn't expecting it.
The stories are typical LT3 fare: magic, sweet relationships and a feel-good ending that should leave you smiling.
I do like Sasha's writing, so wasn't surprised to find I really liked this.
It's about 3.5 stars overall, with the first story by far my favourite, almost a 5, but the next two were a little less convincing, probably 3-star fare, so I've rounded up to 4 stars to be fair.
I love LT3's simple, clean=looking covers
Shakal
Jan 23, 2015 Shakal rated it really liked it
The trouble with mac=gic is... the magic is a funny thing. And dangerous. It depends who uses it.
Fehu
The last story was a bit short and we were thrown in the middle so that it was a bit confusing.
I liked the first story about a grouchy mage and a dragon shifter. Tane is not some perfect character with good looks and charming personality, he has his faults. It was entertaining to watch them interact.
Since this anthology did not have any threesome(phew)it's now my favorite from this author.
blub
Jun 28, 2012 blub rated it liked it
Shelves: shifter, mm-fantasy
Liked the last two stories immensely, not the first one though. There are some editing errors but ignoring that a good read.
qx
Aug 18, 2012 qx rated it liked it
Shelves: have
2.75
Kiki
Mar 13, 2012 Kiki rated it it was ok
2.5
Xiao
Xiao rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
griva
griva rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Sally Witt
Sally Witt marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Sandra
Sandra rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2016
Katarzyna
Katarzyna marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Amanda
Amanda added it
Feb 24, 2016
Jana
Jana rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Kunstix
Kunstix rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2016
KR
KR added it
May 05, 2016
Kizmet
Kizmet marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Fluffy
Fluffy marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
L.Nik
L.Nik rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Audrea Caguioa
Audrea Caguioa marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Lane
Lane added it
Dec 21, 2015
Shadaeron
Shadaeron rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2015
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2015
  • Magic & Mischief
  • That Famous Happy End
  • Fairytales Slashed 4
  • Dragon Slayer (The Empty Crown #1)
Sasha L. Miller spends most of her time writing, reading, or playing with all things website design. She loves telling stories, especially romance, because there’s nothing better than giving people their happily ever afters. When not writing, she spends time cooking, harassing her roommates, and playing with her cats.
More about Sasha L. Miller...