Start by marking “Endurance (Green Universe, #2)” as Want to Read:
Endurance (Green Universe, #2)

Endurance (Green Universe #2)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  363 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Green is back in Copper Downs. Purchased from her father in sunny Selistan when she was four years old, she was harshly raised to be a courtesan, companion, and bedmate of the Immortal Duke of Copper Downs. But Green rebelled. Green killed the Duke, and many others, and won her freedom. Yet she is still claimed by the gods and goddesses of her world, and they still require ...more
Published November 8th 2011 by Tom Doherty Associates, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Endurance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Endurance

Three stars might be the lowest rating I've ever given a Jay Lake book. But I have a good relationship with Jay, and I think he expects me to be honest in my reviews and not just give extra stars or say nice things just because we've chatted on Livejournal and I've interviewed him for my website. And if I'm being honest ... ENDURANCE didn't work for me as well as its predecessor GREEN. I think I've delayed writing this review for as long as I have (Goodreads tells me I finished reading the ARC I ...more
Dec 16, 2011 Kevin rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Patient readers who won't give up on the series after a chapter or two of boring details
I have a love/hate relationship with the "Green" series.

On one hand, the author does a great job of developing an interesting story line (albeit starting off very slowly at times) and having plenty of great characters. I enjoy where the story has gone and look forward to where it will lead in the next book.

On the other hand, I've never been a big fan of the author's attempt at depicting Green's sexuality in the book. Most of these scenes would have been better suited to have had less detail. No
I liked Green and I really liked Endurance as well. While in Green, Green was struggling to make her way thru her enslavement as a courtesan in tranining before exploding into the world outside, in Endurance she was busy picking up the pieces of her actions in the first novel while actively trying to evade responsibility for those actions. In doing this she could be petulant, egotistical and narrow-minded in pursuing her goals.

Green is far from a perfect person. She was sold into slavery as a
William Bentrim
Endurance by Jay Lake

This is one of those butt kicking female protagonist stories I enjoy so much. Green is a god ridden sell sword seemingly bent on self destruction.

This book stood alone quite well. I do want to read Green now though, the precursor to this book. This was an excellent action adventure fantasy with a terrific understory. Green is hell bent on stopping child slavery and the abuse of women.

She finds her self immersed in god activities and her complete distain for any kind of hum
Jeremy Preacher
Endurance is a plottier book than Green, and it didn't work quite as well for me. I don't dislike it, but it's easier to talk about the things that bugged me than the things that worked.

First, Green is (has always been, really) the sort of short-tempered, brash, short-sighted heroine that the urban fantasy genre is full of, and my patience for that archetype is thin. She leaps to conclusions, picks fights, makes dumb choices, and generally blunders through the plot, surviving only because she ha
Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 3.75* of five

New Review! I'm continuing my Jay Lake Pre-Mortem Readathon at Shelf Inflicted with the second Green Universe book, ENDURANCE--and it's even better than GREEN was! This man is clearly a sorcerer to make me, misogynstic anti-fantasy me, like these books.

There can be no other explanation. Dark arts and malign spirits must be involved.
Continuing off where "Green" left off, "Endurance catches back up with Green and the man characters that frequent her life, whether she wants them there or not. The only issue I have with Endurance is the same I had with "Green", probably more so, as you would think would have learned a thing or two from her mistakes, but I suppose not. Green's stubborn headedness is still very much a turn off, yet is what sets this book and perhaps her whole story in motion. The need to be her own person, altho ...more
After reading Green, I couldn’t wait to find out what happens to her next…

drey’s thoughts:

Oh Green. Trying to stay quiet in the High Hills outside Copper Downs doesn’t work when people come looking for you. And when even the ghosts tell you to go back to the city, well, what other choice is there? So off she goes, back to Copper Downs.

And what does she find there but Selistani? Lots and lots of people from her homeland, including the Prince of the City, Surali of the Bittern Court – the same Sur
Tim Martin
A decent book, I generally liked it though I also think that _Endurance_ suffers in comparison with the first volume in this series, _Green_. Why? The best answer (though there are others) to me is the lack of the strong narrative tool that so dominated the first part of _Green_, namely that of the girl with no name, taken from her homeland, her entire world becoming that of a single courtyard and the attached building (for the most part) and a succession of teachers that come to see her, most c ...more
Jess (The Best Kind of Book Nerd) Willard
I enjoyed this book immensely, although the first book, Green, was by far my favorite of the two. Endurance has just as much detail, action, and unique characters as Green, yet it is somewhat lacking in the passion, strength and overall decadent display of various emotions that makes up Green herself. Green spends so much time throughout the book doubting herself, questioning her motives, and basically being in-decisive about everything going on around her, while in the first book she conquered ...more
Sequel to GREEN sends her back to Copper Downs to become embroiled in multiple related schemes to kill off some gods. She finds her work hampered by being pregnant--and because she has no sense of humor whatsoever the morning sickness, vomiting and strange cravings make her really, really annoyed and so add a humorous level to the tale. The author fancies himself a Stylist, but looking past (skipping, whenever possible) the pointless and pace-slowing literary flourishes, there's a lively and rea ...more
Stacey Miner
This one moved much more slowly than the first one and was really hard to stay interested in. I think all of the theology killed it for me. Gods this and gods that, bored me. But I persevered! It's probably going to be a while before I bother picking up the last one to read, though.
Jay Lake does a wonderful job with delving in to the expanding philosophies/religions of the various characters he has created. It doesn't hurt that this is overlayed onto a mystery/action-thriller plot.
Guillaume Jay
Après avoir remplacé un Dieu par un autre, Green espère couler des jours tranquille loin de l'agitation de la ville, surtout dans son.. état...

Mais le pouvoir des dieux fait des jaloux, et les ennemis ne sont pas toujours ce qu'elles croient.

La série continue, et c'est vraiment très orienté sur des intrigues théistes (plutôt que religieuse : il ne s'agit pas de guerre de religion, mais de guerre théologique et mythes, voir de genre). J'ai même failli au milieu du livre l'abandonner, écoeuré par
Why only 3 stars after having given Green 5? For several reasons: this second part of Green's tale was a little too action-packed for me. It seemed every other page was some intense battle, which got old after the first half of the book. Green was all about setup and character and establishing place and people and goals: it was a story of growth. Endurance, instead, was plot driven, which doesn't make it bad, by any means, because I did enjoy it, it just wasn't as good as it's first. I did enjoy ...more
Shannon Page
I read this for research, as I'm just finishing up a (collaborative) novel in the same universe, so I can't really comment on it! :-)
I am on the fence about this book. The first half was dry and boring setup. The second half was alot better, but the first half took away from my enjoyment of the story as a whole. Also, the author kept throwing in phrases like "I learned later in life" and "As I would one day find out" that felt awkward and misplaced. The book was not written as a retrospective story, and the retrospective phrases were annoying. Take those out and improve the pacing in the first half and I would have loved it.
There are a few things I really love about Jay Lake's work--his prose, worldbuilding, and character arcs--all of which are present in Endurance. Once again Green gets herself entangled in the affairs of the gods, and despite her best efforts to hack and slash and theorize her way free, she only ends up even more enmeshed. I'm not quite sure how he does it, but his writing voice is half-wry, half-lyrical, and all Green.
A.D. Roland
Green is so friggin' ANGRY at everybody and everything. It's incredibly monotonous. There's absolutely nothing likable about her, this time around. Like in Green, she's incapable of looking at another woman without lusting after her and wishing they were knocking boots. I just couldn't enjoy the story because of how bitter Green is about everything.
I enjoyed this, though maybe not so much as the first book. It seemed as though Green just sort of wandered from one thing to the next for about three quarters of the book, and then everything sort of fell into place. Still enjoy the world and Green's resistance/reaction to it, but the story was a bit weaker for me here.
Madison Ross
Loved the first book, "Green," and how it carried you through the main character's life so vividly and seamlessly. "Endurance" picks up where the last book left off. This series is one of those rare kind of stories that you can disappear into another world and feel immersed in the picturesque detail of the writing.
A Book 2 of 2 Endeavour read. And what a doozy. Kind of an original mythological gritty fantasy. And exhausting. Stylistically weird and oddly paced. Definitely the kind that will have a mixed reaction. I'm still not sure what I thought of it. But it ended well-ish.
David Marshall
This is a dramatic improvement over the first volume Green and produces a powerful fantasy exploring the need of any society to achieve some degree of equality between he sexes.
3.5* rating
I appreciate the frank and matter-of-fact inclusion of bisexuality, and the strong female protagonist, as well as the array of interesting characters. A little heavy on the non-stop violent action, just like Green.
Feb 09, 2012 Amy! marked it as didn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't remember how the first book ended, so the beginning of this one was a little confusing, plus just not interesting enough for me to want to finish it while dealing with all my school stuff.
Angry pregnant fifteen-year-old lesbian assassin accidentally overthrows governments, argues with gods, and accidentally creates new religions while killing everyone in her path.

This is not a bad thing. :)
A really great book. The only thing that bothered me was the times not quite lining up. How the author described her as being pregnant seemed to go by much faster then the action was.
Walter Underwood
Quit reading after a hundred pages or so. I could never find the person in the main character and finally gave up. I almost never quit a book, but I couldn't make this one work.
Interesting and well written, though not as personally gripping to me as the first installment, for entirely personal reasons. Recommended.
  • Haven (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #4)
  • Blood Spirits (Dobrenica, #2)
  • Gideon Smith and the Brass Dragon (Gideon Smith, #2)
  • Canticle (Psalms of Isaak, #2)
  • Southern Bound (Max Porter, #1)
  • Master of the House of Darts (Obsidian and Blood, #3)
  • Going Under (Quantum Gravity #3)
  • Lightborn (Darkborn Trilogy, #2)
  • Rebellion (Chronicles of Charanthe, #1)
  • Tin Swift (Age of Steam, #2)
  • Ounce Dice Trice
  • Restoration (Rai-Kirah, #3)
  • One Blood
  • Effendi
  • The Italian Baker
  • Prospero Regained (Prospero's Daughter, #3)
  • Boneyards (Diving Universe, #3)
  • Japanese Prints

Jay Lake lived in Portland, Oregon, where he worked on multiple writing and editing projects. His 2007 book Mainspring received a starred review in Booklist. His short fiction appeared regularly in literary and genre markets worldwide. Jay won the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer, Endeavour Award, and was a multiple nominee for the Hugo and World Fantasy Awards.
More about Jay Lake...

Green Universe (3 books)
  • Green (Green Universe #1)
  • Kalimpura (Green Universe, #3)

“Building a temple atop a minehead, when the local tulpas haunted the dangerous galleries and tunnels of Below, had not been the wisest judgment ever made. I tried to remember if this had been my idea. Somehow I had the feeling that it was.” 0 likes