Start by marking “So I Have Thought of You: The Letters of Penelope Fitzgerald” as Want to Read:
So I Have Thought of You: The Letters of Penelope Fitzgerald

So I Have Thought of You: The Letters of Penelope Fitzgerald

Novelist and biographer Penelope Fitzgerald, who won the Booker Prize in 1979 for 'Offshore', was also a prolific correspondent. The letters collected here capture the people and places of her life and times.
Published August 1st 2008 by Fourth Estate (GB) (first published June 4th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about So I Have Thought of You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So I Have Thought of You

Susan
Jan 16, 2016 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An interesting collection of letters arranged by correspondent and divided into two sections: one of private letters to family and friends (where her daughters have generously allowed their correspondence from their mother to be included) and one of "business" letters to publishers, authors and critics. Usually, I prefer a chronological presentation of letters, but the organization here worked well to illustrate the different facets of her personality and writing for each correspondent. Her lett ...more
Yooperprof
Sep 21, 2010 Yooperprof rated it really liked it
Shelves: britain, letters
No real surprises here - Penelope Fitzgerald seems to have been a genuinely nice, grandmotherly person. She had eclectic, far-ranging interests that reveal themselves in the disparate subject matters of her books, and although she comes across in the letters as modest and self-effacing, her "pose" does not fully obscure the fact that her books are remarkably accomplished and even ambitious in their subtle brilliance. I regard P. Fitzgerald as a kind of Vermeer of contemporary British fiction.
Ellen Schnepper
Apr 26, 2015 Ellen Schnepper rated it it was amazing
Penelope Fitzgerald is marvelous and her wry sense of humor is not lost in her letters. What I most liked were her references to contemporary writers in England. She knew so many, and she refers to them as just everyday people, not the gods and goddesses you might think. Also in the letters is a lot of insight into the writing of biographies, novels, and the publishing world. Fascinating. I couldn't put it down.
Emma Townshend
Jun 19, 2016 Emma Townshend rated it it was amazing
If you like her, read these. They are rather wonderful.
Margaret
This would be four stars, except that I didn't think the editing and organization were very good. Having the letters grouped by correspondent instead of chronologically didn't allow any flow through Fitzgerald's life, and I felt that there needed to be many more footnotes explaining references to people and events which weren't fully detailed in the letters themselves.
Lesley
Jul 24, 2011 Lesley rated it really liked it
Rather oddly arranged by correspondent instead of chronology - this had a curiously unsettling effect. Also, while I hate editions of letters that do too much footnoting of references and allusions, I felt that this could have done with just a bit more. Some wonderful stuff in there, though.
Cooper Renner
I didn't read the entire collection, to be sure. A hefty chunk of the family letters and a browse through the letters to writers. Penelope's personality comes through loud and clear.
Alicia Bragado
Alicia Bragado marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Nick
Nick is currently reading it
Sep 22, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Wendy Wardle
Wendy Wardle marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Sarah Gray
Sarah Gray marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Shahab
Shahab marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
schmittpod
schmittpod marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Anne
Anne added it
Jun 23, 2016
John T. Graham
John T. Graham rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Alyce
Alyce marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Elgeema
Elgeema marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Andrew Cowley
Andrew Cowley marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Deb Bell
Deb Bell rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
K
K rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2015
Sierra
Sierra marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Fran
Fran marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Sally Mathews
Sally Mathews marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Penelope Fitzgerald was an English novelist, poet, essayist and biographer. In 2008, The Times included her in a list of "The 50 greatest British writers since 1945". In 2012, The Observer named her final novel, The Blue Flower, as one of "the ten best historical novels".

Fitzgerald was the author of nine novels. Her novel Offshore was the winner of the Booker Prize. A further three novels — The B
More about Penelope Fitzgerald...