Start by marking “In the Past Imperfect” as Want to Read:
In the Past Imperfect

In the Past Imperfect

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  24 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Published June 1st 2011 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about In the Past Imperfect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Past Imperfect

Debbie Brown

There may be a lot of elements of Jane Austen's Persuasion here, but it definitely is not a feel good story, nor is it a romance novel in the usual sense. There's too much realism and a "huh???" ending that's open-ended, I suppose to allow the reader to decide whether it's a happy one or not. Based on all the bread crumbs sprinkled throughout the tale, my guess is "not."

As beautiful as this author's writing is - and this IS beautiful writing - it took me a while to get in synch with wha
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
In her modern-day retelling of Persuasion, author Isabelle Solal takes readers on a sojourn from London, England to Paris, France, to a Mediterranean villa in the south of France, as her heroine, Alina Marin (Anne Elliot), strives to figure out how to fix her life. As a confident and intelligent attorney, Alina's career is everything. Nothing is more important than her success and her ambition to make partner at her firm. Even a great love affair cannot withstand her drive to succeed. But Alina' ...more
Al
May 06, 2012 Al rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, read-2012
I’ve come to the conclusion that it is harder to write a positive review than a negative one. Figuring out and articulating what is wrong or what I didn’t like about a book with problems is usually easy. But what if the writing is solid and the story is a good one? How many times can I say I liked the characters I needed to like and not those I shouldn’t? That’s what we expect from a book. Sometimes there will be some specific examples to point to, maybe a line that hits me just right. Something ...more
Edwin Stark
Apr 14, 2011 Edwin Stark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Startling tale of a woman whose life suddenly seems to undergo through an spectacular slow-motion demolition derby. After she loses a client without the benefit of an explanation, she feels deserted by her colleagues and her current lover, and then starts to re-evaluate her life by traveling to Paris (or shall I say: escaping?), meeting old family and new friends, then stumbling upon an old flame. Told in superbly handled flashbacks, this story will hold you in its grip and it won't let go until ...more
Sidney Luckett
Jan 19, 2013 Sidney Luckett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sidney by: http://100dayskindle.blogspot.com/
"In the Past Imperfect" has a feel of authenticity. A poignant and sensitive story abut the dilemmas facing very ordinary people and the ironies of their life choices. Like many good novels (but hey I'm no expert) it has a twist. I expected one, but when it came it didn't fit with any of the scenarios that I conjured up.

It is an excellent story of a very successful lawyer and the highly competitive modern legal world that she inhabits - with a flavor of life in London (which I know pretty well)
Literary  Chanteuse
Jan 03, 2012 Literary Chanteuse rated it it was amazing
I loved the mood the author sets in this book! There were numerous moments where my senses were alive and I could almost taste the food and the smells of France. The main character's emotions had real intensity that came across easily and that really helped draw me into the story. It's a modern approach to a Jane Austen's Persuasion that does not disappoint.
Megan
Apr 26, 2011 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. The main character was very believable - at times painfully so. I enjoyed the use of flashbacks in the book - it was like piecing a puzzle together. The end was ambiguous but that is a personal thing. I am afraid I prefer "and then all lived happily ever after" type ending! A well done homage to Austen's Persuasion!
Maxine
Sep 02, 2013 Maxine rated it liked it
This was not as impressive as the book it was based on (Persuasion, but it was a decent effort and it made for an entertaining afternoon read.
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Laurence Blandford
Laurence Blandford rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2015
Anne Milne
Anne Milne marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Jessica Gelatt
Jessica Gelatt marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Mirela
Mirela marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Devaki
Devaki rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2015
Dung
Dung marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Amanda Milburn
Amanda Milburn rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2014
Destiny
Destiny marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Beth Devine
Beth Devine rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2014
Shweta Sridhar
Shweta Sridhar marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Nancy Rodriguez
Nancy Rodriguez rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2013
Ceri
Ceri marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2013
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
May 13, 2013
Michèle
Michèle marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2013
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2013
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2013
Mikanja
Mikanja marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2013
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Have you ever wanted to tell the author exactly what you think? 1 8 Apr 22, 2011 12:56PM
  • A Modern Day Persuasion: An Adaptation of Jane Austen's Novel
  • Project Darcy
  • Pride and Platypus: Mr. Darcy's Dreadful Secret
  • My Dear Sophy
  • Promises
  • Persuade Me (Darcy & Friends, #2)
  • The Red Chrysanthemum
  • Compulsively Mr. Darcy
Isabelle, like her main character in Past Imperfect, grew up in one too many countries but feels most at home in Paris... or London... or New York - although currently she's hiding away somewhere in the Swiss Alps, where she works as a lawyer.

Jane Austen has always been an inspiration (hence the homage to Persuasion). Her next book, however, is developing a far darker, less optimistic feel. While
More about Isabelle Solal...