Bridger (Bridger, #1)

Bridger (Bridger #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  746 ratings  ·  159 reviews
Ashlyn McVean doesn't believe in fairy tales.

That is, until she's thrown into the crosshairs of grudges her grandmother created long ago. After finding out she is one of two people able to cross between faerie realms, Ashlyn is faced with trying to understand her abilities, along with navigating a new relationship with her boyfriend, Liam.

As if being on a centuries old hit...more
Published June 4th 2011 by Megan Curd

Alana ~ The Book Pimp
Some background (very little to no spoilers):

Ashlyn is your average high school student living in Ohio. She has a crazy "bestie" friend and another great guy friend that loves her, although she does not reciprocate the feelings. Approaching Christmas, all was well, she was planning a trip to visit Ireland with her father...

And then the book starts with the death of her father. The callousness of the paramedics, and her grief cause her to do a seemingly impossible act - throwing the paramedic ag...more
Nicole
Dec 15, 2011 Nicole rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Nicole by: Read 2 review
From Goodreads

“Ashlyn McVean doesn't believe in fairy tales. That is, until Ashlyn is thrown into the crosshairs of grudges her grandmother created long ago. After finding out she is one of two people able to cross between faerie realms, Ashlyn is faced with trying to understand her abilities, along with navigating a new relationship with her boyfriend, Liam. As if being on a centuries old hit list and dealing with crazed pixies isn't enough, her new abilities mean trouble for Liam. Knowing her...more
Midu Hadi
Dec 15, 2011 Midu Hadi rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adult romance fans
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Dec 12, 2011 Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) by: R2R
Shelves: reviewed
I received this book as a part of Read 2 Review program.

Overall, I really liked this book. The author has an amazing imagination which made for an enjoyable read. I haven’t read a ton of fairy books, but this was certainly very different from anything I’ve read and that’s a good thing.

I enjoyed the romance in this book and at first I thought it was going to happen to fast, but then it blossomed the way it should have. There were twists I didn’t expect, but at the same time it added to the realis...more
Tt (Never Ending Stories Book Blog)
5/5 stars! Amazing!

This book was "FREAKING AMAZING!!!!"

Okay I've received this book as a "read-to-review" and yes the synopsis sounded good almost plain-like when you watch a movie trailer and it has no action but looks alright-and then you go see the actual movie and your blown away. So I gave this book a go and let me tell you this book took me far and beyond blown away!

Megan,Megan,Megan

I am your biggest fan and a fan of this series!

My synopsis: Ashlyn McVean is not your typical girl she is...more
Sheri
Bridger is a story Ashlyn, a 16-year-old girl who is just beginning to find out she is a little bit more than she ever thought.

The first few chapters of this book seemed to jump around a bit to me, and I was having trouble following. The book picked up after Ashlyn and her friend Jamie got to Ireland, and things started falling into place for Ashlyn. This is when the book really started getting interesting for me.

I liked the characters and thought they were written well. I would have loved to...more
Tana
Bridger by Megan Curd
Bridger is one of the better books I’ve read this year; Megan Curd did a terrific job in writing this story her descriptions are great and the story bring us a different view on the fairy world. There is murder, mystery, romance and betrayal something every good book requires.

The story begins with the drowning of Ashlyn and Chris’s father, they are distraught and trying to understand what has happened. Struggling through the shock Ashlyn displays serge of power trying to ge...more
Lisa Smith
Mar 07, 2012 Lisa Smith rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adult & Young Adult Reader of Parnaomal Romance and Fea
Recommended to Lisa by: Read 2 Review
I was fortunate enough to make the cut for reviewing this book for the Read 2 Review when the author offered up extra copies for all of those who whimpered about not being fast enough. Oh, and just for the record, this in no way it affects my review…

Let us chitchat for a brief minute shall we. Anyone who knows me will tell you that once upon time I never judged a book by its cover. Well just, like the season’s things change and now more than ever I am such a total cover whore. Which lends one to...more
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
Bridger creates a magical and intriguing world that held my attention and left me wanting so much more.
The characters are great and beautifully written. Ash had me at hello with such an emotional connection right away. Ash has a strong voice and I love how there are funny moments thrown in at all the right times.
I loved and hated the presence of MeMaw right away, she has such a strong personality, and I love where the character arc goes.
I also love the sarcasm and easy going nature between her a...more
Clare Marie
Where to start? I loved it. That's pretty much the entire review. Everything was brilliant, and made sense. There was nothing that left me rolling my eyes and being able to connect the idea to six other different books. It felt completely original. Urban Fantasy isn't usually my thing, but this time around, I really think this has become a favourite book.

The plot moved quick enough to keep me interested, but not too fast that I felt rushed and like everything was happening at once. I think I -ma...more
Alexia Purdy

I enjoyed reading this story; it had lots of action scenes, interesting characters and loads of mystery. Ashlyn McVean was a strong heroine and I enjoyed her prospective of all the changes she went through. I love any kind of fairy/faery tale and this was an interesting premise and the plot was great. The mythology and storytelling was very in depth. I did find it a bit jumpy and confusing at times when the background was being explained but it rolls through and regains its momentum easily.

Mega...more
Thamy
The book is about Ashlyn Mcvean an ordinary girl who simply can't conquer the love of her grandmother, or so it would seem.
When Ashlyn's father dies in an unexpected accident Ashlyn is forced into a world that she never believed existed.
Her grandmother had always told her stories about the Irish Folklore, but Ashlyn always dismissed her tales until when she travelled to Ireland, there she learnt the stories were actually true. Ashlyn is special, she is a rare breed of faery and human, she can...more
Bookish♥Sarah

♥ Find my reviews on Blogger ~ Reviews by Bookish Sarah

- - -

This book opens up to a sad & chilling (quite literally) scene. It's days before Christmas, and Ashlyn McVean's father has just been pulled out of a frozen lake. Unfortunately though, it wasn't soon enough to save his life. Ashlyn, her brother Chris, their mother, along with with Memaw (aka Emily, the grandmother) now have to attempt to pick up the pieces and move on.

Pretty much immediately following the death of her father, Ashlyn...more
Kat
My rating is not quite 3 stars, but I've decided to round up. First let me say that this story is very compelling. It's hard to put down as you must know what happens next. That said, it has a few problems. The fae lore is confusing, though very interesting. For those who are fascinated with the fae, it's a different, intriguing take on them. But like I said, it's confusing. And the thing with the chairs was weird, throwing me out of the story a bit - they just didn't fit at all. The love story...more
Hope Collier
An amazing story with twists and turns I never saw coming. Unique and intriguing with the just right mixture of excitement, romance, and mystery, BRIDGER is sure to make a splash in the YA realm. Curd's characters, plot, and pacing are excellent. Her ability to draw the reader in and knack for world building are enviable. Eagerly awaiting the sequel!
Amy :o)
I am what you would call an "Emotional Reader". I sometimes get so involved within a book that I block out everything, much to the annoyance of my family when they are trying to get my attention.

Well, this is what happened with the book Brider by Megan Curd. It grabbed me and sucked me right in from the first heartwrenching page. This is one of those stories that is quite action packed, full of suspense, but also has some fun, love and levity in it. This book also has faeries, portals to other l...more
Danielle
I honestly did not know what to expect from this debut novel. I’m not well versed in faerie lore (despite being half Irish), and have not read many books where faeries factor so prominently in the tale.

The novel did not draw me in immediately, I found myself questioning characters’ motives and the timing of events. The opening scene is the sudden, tragic, and very unexpected death of Ashlyn’s father. Of course, this event proves of utter importance later in the novel, but at the onset it felt ru...more
Suzanne
I am not going to rate this book, because to be honest, I don't know what to give it. It would probably range around a 2, but the idea behind the story was REALLY good so in that sense it would deserve more than a two but, in my opinion, it could have been better written. It reads as though the author didn't read back over her own story to fix some minor mix ups that there were a lot of. And not just spelling and grammar mistakes.

Firstly, if an author is going to write about a country that is f...more
Ashlyn Rae (TeenageReader)
If you haven’t been paying attention to my Tweets or Goodreads updates, you should know that I am kind of obsessed with Bridger! Not only because the main character and I share the same name (Did you notice that yet? Hehe.), but because the book was absolutely awesome. Every page either made me laugh, made me angry (at annoying water pixies particularly) or made me extremely hungry! Megan Curd is very descriptive, especially with describing food. (I’m getting hungry right now just thinking about...more
Alexia
Let me start off by saying - I’m not usually that ‘into’ fairy / faery books, but this book converted me! Megan Curd put a different twist to the whole faery theme. I had fun reading this book.

Ashlyn went through a major tragedy in the beginning of the book and to be honest I thought it was weird to start a book with such an intense scene, but it paid off. She was devastated and dealt with the outcome as best she could, which she did very admirably. She gets thrown into this ‘new’ world of Iris...more
Angela (Reading Angels)
Find Full Review at http://www.readingangel.com/2011/10/b...

Ashlyn's story begins with her fathers death. When she finds herself lifting the EMT, who is a male that is well over twice her size, off his feet and slamming him into his ambulance just like she saw on that action movie the other day, she just thinks it's the adrenaline. Her cranky Memaw, who has always been telling her crazy tales of Irish folklore, thinks otherwise and sends her to meet family in Ireland. It's not long before Ashlyn...more
Michelle
Wow! Bridger was so great. I started writing a review right after I finished the book and all I was doing was gushing over and over again. So I decided to wait a little bit, so my review was not just variations of "I love this book!" and "OMG Bridger was so great!". But now i'm back after a few hours and i'm still gushing. So why fight it? Let's gush people!

Bridger is going on my favorite's of 2011 shelf for sure! It is so exciting and the story is really well developed. A lot happens, and it i...more
Maghon Thomas
Dec 09, 2011 Maghon Thomas rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone :)
so first, and foremost, thank you to R2R and the author Ms. Megan Curd, for the opportunity to read this one! Lately, some things are over done, and repetitive, say, vampires, angels, faeries, sometimes werewolves.... There are some concepts of this book that follow all paranormal lines, but this one is fresh, and has a certain take on the Faerie part that no one else has done... Ashlyn is BORN different and because of this difference (which she has no idea about until the middle of the book) it...more
Gem Blackthorn
[Review from RadicalParenting.com:]

Emotional wounds still fresh from her father’s death, Ashlyn McVean discovers that faeries exist. Not just that, but that she herself is a Bridger – one of two in existence. Add that to a plethora of secrets slowly seeping out of her family, being stuck between a friend who wants to be more than just a friend, a boyfriend she can’t be completely honest with, and a best friend who may or may not be psycho, and you have Ashlyn McVean’s life.

What I love about Ashl...more
Kristen
GENRE: Paranormal Romance
THEME: Fae and Changling
RECEIVED: Received for Review for Tour
BLOG: http://seeingnight.blogspot.com/

REVIEW:
I was happy to be asked to be apart of the tour for Bridger. Bridger by Megan Curd is an intense new young adult series that leaves you on the edge of your seat with every turn of the page. Curd really kept me guessing; I never knew what twists she was going to throw out.

Ashlyn has just lost one of the most important people to her, only nights before Christmas. Soo...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids

This is a fun, fast paced read with an exciting fey lore mixed with Irish folktales. Bridger gives the fey world a whole new refreshing feel in the way that Megan introduces both her story's lore and her characters. I liked the way her fey world collides with that of the human world. This story follows her main character, Ashlyn, as she is not only dealing with the death of her father, but she learns some startling things about who she is and her ties to the fey world.

Ashlyn is a fun ch...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Bridger is well thought out. Megan Curd has created a unique twist to fairy legends. She delves into they myth of the changeling.

The story begins with a tragedy. Ashlyn and her brother, Chris, are struggling through the shock of loosing their father to drowning. The circumstances surrounding the death are bizarre and not easily understood.

Ash and her father had planned a trip to Ireland to visit the land of their heritage. Ash decides to continue on the trip and take her best friend along with...more
Bridger by Megan Curd is the story of Ashlyn McVean who seems like a normal teenage girl with two great friends Jamie and Reese. On the very first pages of the book the action starts with Ashlyn and her brother trying desperately to save their father's life. During this Ashlyn displays physical strength that no normal human would possess. A week or so later Ashlyn continues on the trip to Ireland that she was to be taking with her father to meet family that lives there and find out about her her...more
Emma
What a lovely surprise! I loved the synopsis and I was very excited to read it. The leadgirl, Ashlyn, is a lovely and nice girl. You get to know her a little bit better every page. The only thing that slightly bothered me was the fact that she changed her mind a lot about things. That may make her more 'human' but it didn't really do it for me.
I am not a big fan of love triangles and I am an hater of instant love. So this book gave me a hard time. You have Reese, the best friend since childhood...more
Krystal

Losing your father a week before Christmas would ruin any normal person's holiday. Ashlyn McVean decides to honor her father's memory by taking the trip her father always dreamed of taking with her, a tour of Ireland and a meet up with his extended family. On this trip, she finds out that she isn't human and neither is her Grandmother, Memaw. In addition to mythical creatures and adventure, a love interest adds spice to this story.

The heroine, Ashlyn, has...more
  • Five (Elemental Enmity, #1)
  • Brimstone (Earth, Air, Fire and Water , #1)
  • Give Me (Wyrd and Fae #1)
  • Fairy Metal Thunder (Songs of Magic, #1)
  • Pyxis: The Discovery (Pyxis, #1)
  • Earth (Elemental, #1)
  • Sleepers (The Swarm Trilogy, #1)
  • Amulet (DragonBlade #1)
  • Coexist (Keegan's Chronicles, #1)
  • Memory's Wake (Memory's Wake Trilogy, #1)
  • The Light of Asteria: Kailmeyra's Last Hope (Kailmeyra, #1)
  • Haven (The Willows, #1)
  • Sundial (Light Bringer, #1)
  • Her Dark Destiny (Hunters of the Dark, #1)
  • The Ylem (The Ylem Trilogy, #1)
  • Hotblood (House of Slide, #1)
  • Meeting Destiny (Destiny, #1)
  • Shimmerspell (The Shimmer Trilogy, #1)
"Like" Megan Curd on Facebook: http://on.fb.me/kGCsmI

Follow on Twitter: @MeganCurd

Megan Curd is a graduate of Northwestern College in St. Paul, Minnesota. While having always enjoyed reading any books she could get her hands on, Megan didn’t begin writing until a friend encouraged her to do so while in college.

When not writing, Megan enjoys spending time with her family and friends. Photography,...more
More about Megan Curd...
Forbidden (The Guardian Chronicles, #1) Steel Lily (The Periodic Series, #1) Traitor (Bridger, #2) Iron Pendulum (The Periodic Series, #2) Protector (Bridger, #3)

“I liked this.  I liked this a lot.  Memaw said a boy would woo me.  I had just been wooed in one evening’s conversation.  If my hunch was right, he seemed to be wooed by me as well. He wasn’t even blind. This could be good.” 6 likes
“Nearing two a.m., Liam stretched and yawned, smiling at me. “Don’t you have jet-lag or something? I’ve kept you up too late.” His smile was impossible not to reciprocate. I could feel a smile blossoming unwillingly across my face.
“It’s okay. Your mom paid me to stay up and talk to you.”
He didn’t even miss a beat. “Well that’s good, since Emily sent a check over in advance for my services to keep you out of trouble.”
4 likes