Start by marking “Scorpion in the Sea” as Want to Read:
Scorpion in the Sea

Scorpion in the Sea

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  10 reviews
On a calm night off the Florida coast, a fishing boat vanishes without a trace. Something deadly is hiding in U.S. waters, and the Navy brass would rather bury the truth than face it.

It's Montgomery's war now. Brash and unconventional, Mike Montgomery is hardly regulation Navy. At his side, Diane Martinson, the Chief of Staff's wife--smart, tough...and his lover. Under his
Published April 1st 2011 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 28th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Scorpion in the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scorpion in the Sea

I recently found Deutermann, and after reading Pacific Glory, I wanted to investigate more. Deutermann has strengths and weaknesses. And the weaknesses interrupt the story line. Looking at books he has written over more than 10 years, he is not abandoning the weaknesses. And here, in Scorpion as in Pacific Glory, it has to do with the love subplot.

He also used the same lousy (it is really horrid) joke in both books. Where is the creativity there? But to highlight, as a first time writer here, wh
Robert Van Tuyl
Excellent portrayal of life at sea and the protagonist is sympathetic too.
Stephanie Moglia
This book took me a long time to read. With all of Deutermann's other books, I've been hooked instantly; that was not the case here. The beginning was very reminiscent of the Hunt for Red October...overly detailed for my taste and very slow-paced (and obviously with a similar plot focus). I'm not sure at which point I finally got sucked in, but I finished the rest of the book in one sitting.

I definitely like Deutermann's style. I will absolutely continue to read his other books.
Dave Folsom
This non-stop thriller is Deutermann's first book and my first read of this author. It did establish him as high on my reader's list and I've read several others since. All are fast-paced thrillers with a little sex and romance thrown in. Scorpiion in the Sea is one of the best although some of the action borders on difficult to believe, but that said the book as whole is an enjoyable read.
Wonderful yarn about Navy, even includes a submarine! Carefully planned plot.
P. T. is one of my favorite authors. This was his first book; it is a very good story but could have been told with half the words. A Libyan submarine is dispatched to the Atlantic off the coast of Jacksonville to sink an American aircraft carrier.
A great thriller. There is a lot of Navy lingo & technical background, which I found interesting. Some may find it a bit too much; don't let that put you off Deutermann. His subsequent novels are just as good (if not better), without the Navy info.
Don  Kent
A good USN yarn although some parts were rather implausable.
Beiza added it
Nov 27, 2015
Robert Cook
Robert Cook is currently reading it
Nov 09, 2015
Bob added it
Oct 17, 2015
Matt marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Richard marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
  • Trial by Fire (Scott Dixon, #3)
  • The Circle (Dan Lenson, #3)
  • Sea Strike (Amanda Garrett, #2)
  • Winter Hawk (Mitchell Gant, #3)
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
  • Edge of Battle (Jason Richter, #2)
  • Voyage of the Devilfish
  • Sea of Terror (Deep Black, #8)
  • The Exile
  • Cold Choices (Jerry Mitchell, #2)
P. T. Deutermann is a retired Navy captain and has served in the joint Chiefs of Staff as an arms control specialist. He is the author of eighteen novels, and lives in North Carolina. His World War II adventure novel Pacific Glory won the W. Y. Boyd Literary Award for Excellence in Military Fiction, administered by the American Library Association; his other World War II novels are Ghosts of Bungo ...more
More about P.T. Deutermann...