Start by marking “Scorpion in the Sea” as Want to Read:
Scorpion in the Sea

Scorpion in the Sea

On a calm night off the Florida coast, a fishing boat vanishes without a trace. Something deadly is hiding in U.S. waters, and the Navy brass would rather bury the truth than face it.

It's Montgomery's war now. Brash and unconventional, Mike Montgomery is hardly regulation Navy. At his side, Diane Martinson, the Chief of Staff's wife--smart, tough...and his lover. Under his
Published April 1st 2011 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 28th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Scorpion in the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scorpion in the Sea

D.w.
Aug 23, 2014 D.w. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
I recently found Deutermann, and after reading Pacific Glory, I wanted to investigate more. Deutermann has strengths and weaknesses. And the weaknesses interrupt the story line. Looking at books he has written over more than 10 years, he is not abandoning the weaknesses. And here, in Scorpion as in Pacific Glory, it has to do with the love subplot.

He also used the same lousy (it is really horrid) joke in both books. Where is the creativity there? But to highlight, as a first time writer here, wh
Pat Landers
May 24, 2015 Pat Landers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
real good
Jim Hunter
Jul 23, 2016 Jim Hunter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Should be a movie made from this book
Mark Boyd
May 30, 2017 Mark Boyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deutermann, a retired Naval Officer, has portrayed the characters and shipboard adventures of military life to a key, even to the point of the "Westpac widow" syndrome evident in military life. Throw in a little subterfuge of a Libyan submarine hiding offshore from Mayport, Fla, Naval Station, a lonely officer's wife and a single, good looking Commander of a destroyer about to be decommissioned and it makes for a good military thriller. A good read for those enjoying this type of suspense. Deute ...more
7$MartyQ
Sep 15, 2016 7$MartyQ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly Realistic

Coincidentally being a former Navy man, and my destroyer home ported in Mayport, I was seeing in a time warp my old ship tied up to the pier, and walking right alongside of Mike Montgomery as he fought his fight with the naval beaurocracy that is ALWAYS right, I could imagine this novel becoming real life. I obviously don't have a handle on what goes on in officer's lives, but what Mr. Deutermann writes in all probability could take place. At any rate, there WERE officers who
Stephanie Moglia
May 14, 2014 Stephanie Moglia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took me a long time to read. With all of Deutermann's other books, I've been hooked instantly; that was not the case here. The beginning was very reminiscent of the Hunt for Red October...overly detailed for my taste and very slow-paced (and obviously with a similar plot focus). I'm not sure at which point I finally got sucked in, but I finished the rest of the book in one sitting.

I definitely like Deutermann's style. I will absolutely continue to read his other books.
Dave Folsom
Oct 20, 2011 Dave Folsom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This non-stop thriller is Deutermann's first book and my first read of this author. It did establish him as high on my reader's list and I've read several others since. All are fast-paced thrillers with a little sex and romance thrown in. Scorpiion in the Sea is one of the best although some of the action borders on difficult to believe, but that said the book as whole is an enjoyable read.
Chuck
May 06, 2010 Chuck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
P. T. is one of my favorite authors. This was his first book; it is a very good story but could have been told with half the words. A Libyan submarine is dispatched to the Atlantic off the coast of Jacksonville to sink an American aircraft carrier.
Kenneth Flusche
Apr 09, 2016 Kenneth Flusche rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is not for everyone, while there is action it is not the manly-man steady action page one to finish. Memories from my past Navy 1972-1976, people yes Deutermann's characters are real well rounded. Peace time politics real, Action just enough to make it possible yes I liked this one.
Julie
Apr 13, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great thriller. There is a lot of Navy lingo & technical background, which I found interesting. Some may find it a bit too much; don't let that put you off Deutermann. His subsequent novels are just as good (if not better), without the Navy info.
James
Mar 07, 2015 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful yarn about Navy, even includes a submarine! Carefully planned plot.
Robert Van Tuyl
Excellent portrayal of life at sea and the protagonist is sympathetic too.
Lisa Bishop
Couldn't get through this one. Abandoned.
Don  Kent
Dec 28, 2011 Don Kent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good USN yarn although some parts were rather implausable.
John
John rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2015
95twincam
95twincam rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Bill Swisher
Bill Swisher rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2016
Ken Hanson
Ken Hanson rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2013
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2014
Larry
Larry rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2012
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2013
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2013
D. Tepfer
D. Tepfer rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Kathleen Tugwell
Kathleen Tugwell rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2014
Kim
Kim rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2015
JST
JST rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2015
Gary
Gary rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2011
Anita L. Caspers rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Voyage of the Devilfish
  • No Warriors, No Glory (Nathan Dixon, #6)
  • The Circle (Dan Lenson, #3)
  • Terminal Event:  A Novel
  • H.M.S. Unseen (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #3)
  • Winter Hawk (Mitchell Gant, #3)
  • WW III
  • The Tehran Conviction (Jack Teller, #3)
  • Choosers of the Slain (Amanda Garrett, #1)
  • Past Due (Victor Carl, #4)
  • The Exile
  • Larry Bond's First Team (Larry Bond's First Team, #1)
  • Chains of Command
P. T. Deutermann is a retired Navy captain and has served in the joint Chiefs of Staff as an arms control specialist. He is the author of eighteen novels, and lives in North Carolina. His World War II adventure novel Pacific Glory won the W. Y. Boyd Literary Award for Excellence in Military Fiction, administered by the American Library Association; his other World War II novels are Ghosts of Bungo ...more
More about P.T. Deutermann...