Start by marking “Night Music” as Want to Read:
Night Music

Night Music

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  1,666 ratings  ·  197 reviews
The Spanish House is known to locals as an architectural folly, and it is now nearly derelict to boot. When its reclusive owner dies intestate the Spanish House is left to his city-dwelling niece. For the recently-widowed Isabel, the house is a potential lifeline. For her neighbour Matt McCarthy, the house is revenge.
Published April 16th 2009 by Not Avail (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Night Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Music

Penny
I have read several of Jojo Moyes' novels and have enjoyed them - this one, though, just didnt do it for me. We have a widowed musician and her children. Two men who each like her - one is wealthy, sleeps around and doesnt care about his family, the other is the strong silent type who obviously has a past. His name is 'Byron Firth'!!!! No surprise as to who we are supposed to be going for. Moyes even creates a scene where our boy Firth emerges from swimming in a lake with his muscular torso glea ...more
Gail
I absolutely devoured this book from the outset. I just loved it, as I do with all Jo Jo Moyes's books.

Initially, my heart totally broke for the delightful Isabel but watching her blossom and heal was just wonderful. I could visualise the ramshackle old house that she subsequently inherits at a totally desperate time of her life and, just when it seems nothing can possibly get worse, it does.

Her neighbours, Laura and Matt, do nothing in the slightest to make her feel welcome to the village; on t
Anne
What I really like about Jojo Moyes' books are that they are all so different, she certainly does not write to a formula, each book is very unique.

'Night Music' is a story about 'The Spanish House' - recently inherited by newly widowed Isabel and her two children. The last place they want to be is in an almost derelict house in a close-knit country village. Isabel is a successful violinist who doesn't get her hands dirty, her daughter Kitty is a sensible 15 year old who misses her friends and so
R
This was my second Moyes book - it was nothing like the deep and moving Me Before You. This, while an interesting story, unfortunately veered dangerously close to chick-lit ... And not in a good way. While I didn't like Isabel or Matt - both we're a bit too one-dimensional - the rest of the characters, from Byron to Kitty to the Cousins, seemed more interesting and likeable. And the whole Laura storyline felt like filler to keep this from bring a novella. I'd say this is a great beach read, but ...more
(ツ) Hache
Usually I like a book to hook me from the first sentence or even the first chapter but with this it just seemed to drag in the beginning with all the house renovating and the sad widow and her violin playing, it took me about 45-50 % till I was really hooked, so hooked that I couldn't put it down, I got so intrigued and addicted that I read it everywhere I went. I just love it when a book does that to me!

The Story

So it starts off with Laura and Matt McCarthy who live next to Mr pottisworth who
Barbara Elsborg
Newly widowed mum ends up in derelict house that a local is obsessed with owning. There were lots of interesting characters though I'd have liked more about the love interest of the heroine and less about the wife of the villain. But it kept me reading long into the night. I really like Ms. Moyes style. Lots of lovely detail and good back story with plots that make sense. The writing about the house was fantastic and the violin detail was great too. I've got an urge to get all the books of hers ...more
Lainy
Time taken to read - <4 hours

Pages - 416

Blurb from Goodreads

My Review

Matt McCarthy and his wife, Laura, have pampered to their neighbour, taking him meals, cleaning his sheets, l
I have come to absolutely adore the work of author Jojo Moyes. I've only read three of her recent publications though and I was excited to see an earlier work of hers available via audiobook. Night Music follows a few different characters who all have one commonality: a dilapidated house. The synopsis is interesting and Ms. Moyes' writing remains beautiful as always, but the pace felt very slow and I had trouble remaining engaged in the story. I enjoyed the ending so overall, I liked the book.
Cassie Barber
This book is fine, a decent story and some interesting characters (and some rather annoying).
However, while it is a perfectly good read if you want something fairly light, it doesn't live up to the three of her books that I've just read - 'Me before you', 'The last letter from your lover', and 'The girl you left behind', which all pretty much blew me away ('Me before you especially').
As I say, a perfectly good, light-ish read but not one that will stick with you I don't think.
Amna
I like how Jojo Moyes' books have a way of uplifting your spirits. Her characters become alive and you experience the ups and downs of what they go through as you read. I enjoyed it.
Cleo Bannister
Isabel Delancey’s husband Laurent is killed in a car crash and for the first time in her life she has to provide both emotionally and financially for their two children, the teenage Kitty and her younger brother Thierry. After a visit from the lawyer Isabel realises that she is going to have to move house.

Meanwhile in Norfolk a house becomes vacant at just the right time and Isabel moves her family from London to the depths of the country and a derelict house. Matt and Laura McCarthy are her nei
Malia
This was my first Jojo Moyes book, and I intentionally started with an older one, and not the much-lauded ME BEFORE YOU. I have often found books with a lot of hype surrounding them to be a bit disappointing when I get around to reading them, as was also the case with THE HUSBAND'S SECRET by Liane Moriarty. But when I went back to read her older books, I gobbled them up! So, that is the strategy I will employ here, too, I think.
That said, I really did enjoy NIGHT MUSIC. I wasn't sure what to exp
Susan
The Spanish House has been untouched for decades when it is inherited by Isabel Delancey, a widow with two children. Forced out of London and into its semi-derelict isolation, she is still mourning her husband, and struggles to cope. When Matt McCarthy, the builder next door, offers to help with repairs, she accepts gratefully. But Matt has a hidden agenda, having waited for the house for a decade. As does his wife, Laura, who sees it as a way of rebuilding her family. Nicholas Trent, a property ...more
Doreen
i didn't like it at first. i found the beginning to be draggy and at times isabel was getting under my nerves.
the title should be known as the spanish house as the story revolved around this ghastly house. one can be surprised to find that a house can tell so many stories about several people and that include those people who are not staying in that house!
as the story progresses, i am glad i did not shelf this book as DNF.
Carolyn Hill
I've read most of what's available from Jojo Moyes here in the States, and she's become one of my favorite contemporary authors. (I gravitate towards authors from the British isles.) This novel wasn't published here that I could find, so I bought a used paperback from the U.K. The set-up is one I usually find irresistible: a character inherits an old house in the English countryside. I am very house-centric, and love nothing more than a good story with a house, preferably an old one with lots of ...more
Melinda Elizabeth
This book was great, I loved the small country town vibe and the typical characters you would expect in a place where not a lot goes on. Except for when old Mr Pottisworth dies, then there's plenty to get tongues wagging in the town!

Isabelle's husband has left her a load of debts and nothing to pay them with. She's the quintessential musician, who lives in a very small, precious world where she plays a 300,000 violin and her children are cared for by a nanny.

She's got stacks of bills on the ta
Rouselle
Isabel Delancey has just lost her husband to a car crash, and their family is still reeling from his loss when she realizes that he has left her with more debts and basically no money to keep their London home and their comfortable lifestyle. And then one day she receives a letter telling her that a great grand uncle has left her a house in the suburbs.

Laura McCarthy has been looking after old Mr Pottisworth for years now, taking care of his daily needs and tending to whatever she could in the
Danielle
After reading Me Before You I was determined to read another book by Jojo Moyes. This was one of her earlier books, and it wasn't nearly as polished as Me Before You. It was a bit trashy in places, which I don't enjoy at all, but overall it was a good read with a surprise ending that wrapped everything up to my satisfaction.
Cara Meredith
A great summer read - Moyes keeps her readers on their toes!
Mishma
Well,truth to be told,this book actually made me want to keep it down and move on to another one.I've enjoyed Moyes' Silver Bay and I expected a bit more from this book.
But at the same time it was not so bad or something like that.I am sure people who love the typical family type of books will love it.
Night Music was just not to me.
Yvette
Ship of brides on the surface looked like it was going to be a boring read, but as most of Jo Jo Moyes books it takes time to build a story the whole journey the women had to endure most of us would shudder at, even when the dog died I shed a tear, Moyes has a way of evoking emotion from the reader, as the story bounces forward to one of the characters lives it does become a little confusing (well for me) but it does all fall into place eventually, I have to say the research Moyes must have done ...more
Kendra
This was a great read. I'm a sucker for a story about a small town and this really hit the spot. Isabel, a professional concert violinist, finds herself out of her element when she is forced to move to the Spanish House in the countryside after the death of her husband.

All the characters are well developed and the story moves along at a satisfying pace. My only complaint would have to be with Matthew's characterization -- I think I would have preferred if Moyes didn't take the easy (i.e. crazy)
Patricia Rodrigues
Este é o segundo livro que leio da autora e apesar de não ter gostado tanto como gostei do "Silver Bay", foi também uma leitura muito agradável.
A história centra-se em Isabel Delancey, uma violinista, com dois filhos, e que após a morte do marido, vê a sua vida alterar por completo. E é neste momento de necessidade, acaba por herdar A Casa Espanhola, num meio mais rural, para onde Isabel acaba por se mudar. Mas A Casa Espanhola, não é o que esperava, e além de há vários anos precisar de obras, é
Sam
Musician Isabel doesn't know how she is going to make ends meet when her husband dies in a horrific accident. He dealt with everything including the finances, so she had no idea of their poor financial situation they have. Isabel has lived in a bubble, concentrating on her music over her children who had been looked after by the housekeeper/Nanny.

Luck plays it's hand and Isabel is left a property in Norfolk by a distant relative. Selling the London home she packs the family up and arrives at "Th
Karen
Moyes writes great character driven novels, and this is another example of her talent for character development.

Isabelle starts off the novel as a self centered and grief striken widow and mother of a 15 and 9 year old who discovers she is broke and has to sell her lovely London home and move to a falling down wreck that she inherited in a small town two hours away. The book follows this family and their neighbours as they explore and emerge from the grief of losing their husband/father and hav
Megan Jones
Jojo Moyes is my favourite author and I was really looking forward to reading another book by her. 'Night Music' is probably not my favourite and I did find it a bit slow to begin with but I soon got into it and really enjoyed it. What I particularly like about this book is how all the characters end up all connecting to each other and all being linked to one another in one way or another. It tells the story of Isabel who is recently widowed and has to move to the country when she discovers her ...more
Blaire
If you are in the mood for a satisfying story where obstacles are overcome and everything ends up as it should, then you will probably like this book. I did. I found it kind of comforting. I can't give it higher marks because there was nothing surprising about it. The basic premise is nothing unusual and the plot twists are telegraphed from a mile away. I loved the hero of the story, but thought the heroine was annoyingly passive and dependent. I didn't really believe her transformation into a c ...more
Sophie
Have spent Easter Saturday ignoring everything and everyone in the real world, in preference to watching Isabel and her family heal their various wounds. Sad to have finished it:-(
Lea
This isnt her best work, its a nice little story, but I found it rather dull and I really had to fight the urge to just leave it and not finish it.
Teresa
A nice easy read, reminiscent of Maeve Binchy for me, ideal if your mind is on other things! Not as gripping as Ship of Brides but still enjoyable.
Thoughts on this book? Too much adultery? 1 17 Oct 21, 2012 07:06AM
  • A Friend of the Family
  • The Secrets Between Us
  • Acerca de Roderer
  • Meet Me Under the Ombu Tree
  • A Hint of Wicked (James Family, #1)
  • A Place to Call Home
  • The Rose Petal Beach
  • Lição de Tango
  • Love & Dr. Devon
  • The Book Lovers' Appreciation Society
  • The House in Amalfi
Jojo Moyes is a British novelist.

Moyes studied at Royal Holloway, University of London. She won a bursary financed by The Independent newspaper to study journalism at City University and subsequently worked for The Independent for 10 years. In 2001 she became a full time novelist.

Moyes' novel Foreign Fruit won the Romantic Novelists' Association (RNA) Romantic Novel of the Year in 2004.

She is mar
More about Jojo Moyes...
Me Before You One Plus One The Girl You Left Behind The Last Letter from Your Lover The Ship of Brides

“You are the one honest thing I've done in my whole life.” 1 likes