Start by marking “Conan The Magnificent” as Want to Read:
Conan The Magnificent

Conan The Magnificent (Robert Jordan's Conan Novels #5)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  791 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Amid the savage crags of the Kezankian Mountains, Conan is stalked by the sultry huntress Jondra, sought by the lovely thief Tamira, and caught between the Army of Zamora and Brythunian warriors seeking revenge. The mighty Cimmerian must battle hordes of Kezankian hillmen, face the sorcerous evil of Basrakan Imalla, and finally, slay that which cannot be slain: the beast o ...more
Published March 30th 2010 by Tor Books (first published 1984)

Graham
Oct 26, 2015 Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scanned
Sex, violence, sexism, inappropriate clothing, ridiculous battle scenes, evil magicians, magic swords, mighty thews, deserts, mountains, cities.... and a large fire-breathing dragon. Come on, prefect holiday reading. Chewing gum for the brain, easy to fall into. Did I mention the women were intelligent and feisty? No? Must have been the whisper of silk that distracted me then. Or the glint of rubies, gold, onyx and silver. Or the glutinous glint of swords incarnadine. You get the idea.
Josh
Feb 29, 2016 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a typical yet strong showing of Conan for Robert Jordan - with some slight hints of what he was capable of via The Wheel of Time. Pretty much entertaining throughout (yet not enough to keep me turning pages), it did take me a while to go through as I couldn't say I was hooked. It doesn't really add anything to Conan's character or history, and it does have a fair does of women objectification, however for a Conan novel it is not bad. It is pretty much just a normal Conan novel, full of ...more
East Bay J
Aug 23, 2012 East Bay J rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I haven't read every Conan pastiche by every author but I have a feeling Jordan may be among the best, if not the best, at the job. He's got a better grasp on and far more ability to write Conan stories than most of the others combined. His Conan talks like Conan, acts like Conan, thinks like Conan. It's refreshing considering how many of these Conan pastiches I've read in the past little while. I can't remember what, say, Steve Perry's writing is like in his Conan pastiches, but I think it's gr ...more
k.wing
Jun 24, 2010 k.wing rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
THIS REVIEW DOES NOT CONTAIN SPOILERS UNLESS YOU HAVE NEVER READ NOR HEARD OF THE CIMMERIAN BARBARIAN IN YOUR ENTIRE LIFE, AND IF THAT IS TRUE I PITY YOU.

CROM!

Undoubtedly, Robert Jordan is one of the best fantasy writers out there. Unfortunately, I don't think he had enough time/pages in which to write this Conan tale. It rang true to the Conan we all love - a robust me-tarzan-you-jane-like youth thief, sleeping with 3+ women, crazed cult leader in search of some sort of treasure, naked boobs'a'
Jefferson
Apr 27, 2016 Jefferson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Jordan is easily the best writer to tackle Conan other than Robert E. Howard himself.
Matthew
Mar 27, 2014 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad. Another decent Conan read. I rather liked this one because Conan is caught between to women, being scolded by them, outwitted, making love with them and rescuing them both from the clutches of yet another sorceror and his evil plot and a giant fire breathing beast.
Nicholas Hansen
May 04, 2014 Nicholas Hansen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rather sexist. But what else could a Conan novel be?
Brody Anderson
This was a decent read and my first Conan book. I have always enjoyed the movies (the Arnold movies) but do not know the character outside of that. I enjoyed the take charge attitude Conan displays. I found though that the author seemed to build you up for the big showdown just to have it end abruptly. Many things were happening and as the pages flipped down to the conclusion I felt there could have been a battle, I felt cheated.
Corey
May 09, 2012 Corey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's odd in a way, Robert E. Howard created Conan The Barbarian years before Robert Jordan had written anything, and yet...Jordan's Conan The Barbarian was better then the original creators. Howard's barbarian relied more on his brawn then his wits while Jodran's barbarian used both brain and brawn in order to get what he wanted, making Conan a far more complex and interesting character.
Bob Cairns
Mar 18, 2013 Bob Cairns rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It started fine and there are certain things I expect from Conan but the 2 main female characters were either crying or naked. Also the final confrontation at the end of the book was hugely underwhelming.
Keith Davis
Written before launching his gigantic Wheel of Time series, Jordan wrote Conan as if he were played by Tom Selleck. Not a bad thing, but very different.
DavidO
Jun 08, 2010 DavidO rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think Jordan used some kind of random plot generator to come up with these stories, because they all pretty much feel the same with tiny variations.
Robert C.
Aug 18, 2014 Robert C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The books I'd take to a desert island.
The books I'd save from a house on fire.
The books I read over and over.
The best of the best.
Craig
Aug 04, 2011 Craig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good adventure story, with a little more plot development than some other Conan stories. A quick, entertaining read.
Charles
Jan 04, 2009 Charles rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Conan pastiche
Xous
Xous added it
Jul 22, 2016
Shiva Saravanan
Shiva Saravanan rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2016
John Holst
John Holst marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Andrew Cook
Andrew Cook marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Jon Steffens
Jon Steffens rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Fenix
Fenix marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Sabra Lebowski
Sabra Lebowski marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
George Hauser
George Hauser rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Drew Wills
Drew Wills marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
joshua mullenary
joshua mullenary rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Nac MacFeegle
Nac MacFeegle rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2016
John Nutland
John Nutland rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
  • Conan the Defiant
  • Conan the Valorous
  • Conan the Renegade (Conan)
  • Conan and the Spider God (Book 18)
  • Conan: Sword of Skelos
  • Conan the Rebel
  • Conan: Road of Kings
  • Conan the Usurper (Conan, #8)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to
More about Robert Jordan...

Robert Jordan's Conan Novels (7 books)
  • Conan the Invincible (Conan, #1)
  • Conan the Defender (Conan, #2)
  • Conan the Unconquered (Conan, #3)
  • Conan the Triumphant (Conan, #4)
  • Conan the Destroyer (Conan, #6)
  • Conan the Victorious (Conan, #7)