Start by marking “Conan The Magnificent” as Want to Read:
Conan The Magnificent

Conan The Magnificent (Robert Jordan's Conan Novels #5)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  626 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Amid the savage crags of the Kezankian Mountains, Conan is stalked by the sultry huntress Jondra, sought by the lovely thief Tamira, and caught between the Army of Zamora and Brythunian warriors seeking revenge. The mighty Cimmerian must battle hordes of Kezankian hillmen, face the sorcerous evil of Basrakan Imalla, and finally, slay that which cannot be slain: the beast o ...more
Published March 30th 2010 by Tor Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Conan The Magnificent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conan The Magnificent

J
I haven't read every Conan pastiche by every author but I have a feeling Jordan may be among the best, if not the best, at the job. He's got a better grasp on and far more ability to write Conan stories than most of the others combined. His Conan talks like Conan, acts like Conan, thinks like Conan. It's refreshing considering how many of these Conan pastiches I've read in the past little while. I can't remember what, say, Steve Perry's writing is like in his Conan pastiches, but I think it's gr ...more
k.wing
THIS REVIEW DOES NOT CONTAIN SPOILERS UNLESS YOU HAVE NEVER READ NOR HEARD OF THE CIMMERIAN BARBARIAN IN YOUR ENTIRE LIFE, AND IF THAT IS TRUE I PITY YOU.

CROM!

Undoubtedly, Robert Jordan is one of the best fantasy writers out there. Unfortunately, I don't think he had enough time/pages in which to write this Conan tale. It rang true to the Conan we all love - a robust me-tarzan-you-jane-like youth thief, sleeping with 3+ women, crazed cult leader in search of some sort of treasure, naked boobs'a'
Matthew
Not bad. Another decent Conan read. I rather liked this one because Conan is caught between to women, being scolded by them, outwitted, making love with them and rescuing them both from the clutches of yet another sorceror and his evil plot and a giant fire breathing beast.
Nicholas Hansen
Rather sexist. But what else could a Conan novel be?
Corey
It's odd in a way, Robert E. Howard created Conan The Barbarian years before Robert Jordan had written anything, and yet...Jordan's Conan The Barbarian was better then the original creators. Howard's barbarian relied more on his brawn then his wits while Jodran's barbarian used both brain and brawn in order to get what he wanted, making Conan a far more complex and interesting character.
Bob Cairns
It started fine and there are certain things I expect from Conan but the 2 main female characters were either crying or naked. Also the final confrontation at the end of the book was hugely underwhelming.
Keith Davis
Written before launching his gigantic Wheel of Time series, Jordan wrote Conan as if he were played by Tom Selleck. Not a bad thing, but very different.
DavidO
I think Jordan used some kind of random plot generator to come up with these stories, because they all pretty much feel the same with tiny variations.
Robert Day
The books I'd take to a desert island.
The books I'd save from a house on fire.
The books I read over and over.
The best of the best.
Craig
A good adventure story, with a little more plot development than some other Conan stories. A quick, entertaining read.
Charles
Conan pastiche
Nicholas Mcdowell
Nicholas Mcdowell is currently reading it
Dec 21, 2014
Doug Yarborough
Doug Yarborough marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Matthew Mcmillan
Matthew Mcmillan marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Clyde
Clyde marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Vernon Carver
Vernon Carver marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
  • Conan and the Spider God (Book 18)
  • Conan the Defiant
  • Conan: Sword of Skelos
  • Conan the Rebel
  • Conan: Conan the Usurper (Book 8)
  • Conan: Road of Kings
  • Dragonseed (Dragon Age, #3)
  • Conan the Buccaneer
  • Elric in the Dream Realms (Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melniboné, #5)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to
More about Robert Jordan...
The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1) The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2) The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3) The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4) The Gathering Storm (Wheel of Time, #12)