Master of Murder

Master of Murder

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  1,373 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Librarian's note: this is an alternate cover edition - ISBN 0340582707 (ISBN 13: 9780340582701)

Marvin Summer is worried.

Why can't he find an ending for his latest book? Then the girl he's always loved agrees to go out with him - but it's a date made in hell.

Now he knows the ending to his story - when the murders come true...
Published October 21st 1993 by Hodder Children's Books (first published July 1st 1992)

Erin (Paperback Stash)
No matter my age, I shall forever regard Pike as an expert at writing books that are as relatable to adults as they are to older teenagers. As young adults near that milestone themselves, novels such as this that treated them fairly on an intellectual level were appreciated.

Master of Murder focuses on a young mystery author who ends up – at first without interest – in the middle of a mystery of his own. He is a famous writer, but uses a pseudonym so no one in town knows who he is. It never ceas...more
Melissa
I hope they don't reissue all these books with slick new covers, because the cheesy embossed ones are so totally awesome. This story had nothing to do with magic or weird or paranormal stuff, so it's unusual that I went for it. Not a top favorite but one I still remember fondly.
Jenn
Oh man, I forgot how much I love Pike's books! So much cheese, I could make quesadillas with it lol...So, Marvin Summer is a high school student who also happens to be a hugely successful YA writer named Mack Slate. His identity is a secret from everyone but his 11 year old sister, Ann (an incredibly popular name in the Pike Universe, along with Mike if I recall correctly), so he gets a silent thrill when he sees the girl of his dreams, Shelly Quade, reading one of his books during English class...more
Mihret
hey i as you can see im writing a review about another christopher pike book. i would absolutly say this is myfavirote book that he wrote.after reading this book i learned that there are people that walk beside us that are menacing and others that we dont know yet but they will soon be one of the most imoprtant people in our live.if you guys like scary book you should read it.
Kathryn
It's not like Christopher Pike's books make a lot of sense in general, but this book was so utterly nonsensical and thin that I got zero enjoyment out of it.
PurplyCookie
"Master of Murder" is about a seventeen-year-old boy named Marvin, who was actually a famous author who had millions of fans and millions of dollars, but wrote under a pen name so nobody knew who he was.

He wanted to remain unknown, for two reasons. One, the last book of his famous series, "The Mystery At Silver Spring", was overdue, and he was worried his fame would soon end. Second, he knew that his father could -- and would -- take away all his money if he knew how rich Marvin was.

But then one...more
Sydney
I think this book was good. I like the idea of an author that everyone loves, but nobody knows. I think it is funny the way lots of people reacted in his school. Constantly taking about what they think his home life is like and all, but all along he is still in high school. I didn't like Shelly. I thought that she was very double (or triple) sided. She wasn't with him or she was. I knew that once I started reading the book I could guess what was going to happen. (view spoiler)...more
Carina
I really loved books by this author when I was younger and I still own a number of them, but grabbing this off the shelf at home (having forgotten my Kindle and needing a book that would keep me occupied for an hour or so) I realised that these really are 'teen' books (and youngish teen at that).

It took me a while to remember how the victim dies, but the actual murderer I didn't remember until the page before the reveal - the fact that I couldn't recall it or work it out from the book is, in my...more
Kristy
In a totally awesome meta-narrative, Pike (a bestselling writer of series of suspenseful young adult books who writes under a pseudonym) gives us the story of Marvin Summer, a bestselling writer of series of suspenseful young adult books who writes under a pseudonym. Unlike Pike, Marvin is a high school student, and he finds that the plot of his popular series and his relationship with the girl of his dreams overlap a little too much -- particularly in the area of murder. There are some rather r...more
Autumn Cook
This book was the best! Its about this guy named Marvin who writes books with a pen name Mack Slate and he doesnt tell anybody hes rich or that hes an author only his sister knows. Also about a year ago his friend Harry paster dies and the girl he likes Shelly was Harry Pasters girlfriend and she wants Marvin and her to start investigating his death she thinks he was murderd. This is my favorite book in the series!!!
Tara
Jessica
I was a bit surprised how much I remembered from this book. This one also seemed to speed a long a bit more than his other books, and, while it wasn't my favorite, was still pretty good, considering the intended audience. I will say that I do love that today's books for young adults read as much more sophisticated, both in style and in plot/themes.
Debbie Johansson
The plot twist in this book could get confusing and became a bit of a stretch at times and I absolutely hated Shelly. However, I liked the main character, Marvin - his life as a writer and his struggles with his alcoholic parents (I just loved Marvin's frog story). Another page-turner from Christopher Pike.
Karen
i didn't really like the ending...how could Marvin get back with Shelly after what she did do him, even though it was a misunderstanding. and i can't believe she KILLED Triad! killed, like murder! its weird that my 7th grade English teacher was the one to assign THIS book. it has some sketchy hot tub parts
Amy
interesting premise... but a flat ending... and the characters were pretty non-YA... even though they were supposed to be high school students - what high school student is tinkering on a lawn mower? or staying out for all hours and the parents are non-existent?
Clickety
Probably one of my all-time favorite books. I just adore the main character, and I love, love the blend of humor and tension and pathos. It's just so real, even when it's being complete fluff. Delightful.
Frezanda
I like the main character, Marvin. He has a dry sense of humor that always makes me laugh. Besides, I admire someone who can keep his feet grounded and laugh at himself in the midst of those fan adoration.
Kennady Mays
This book is about a boy named marvin who is a teenage authour who wrote a book called THE MYSTERY AT SILVER SPRING, a book about his death, that is when the murders are happining
Sarah Marie
Master of Murder is about a guy who is a famous writer, but no one knows it is him and the series everyone is raving about is based on a murder that happened in his town.
Deviki
Jul 14, 2009 Deviki rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Deviki by: classmate
Yeah i liked this story back when i was teenager.....i like the story and the flow of it....oh and this was one of the books that was quite matured LOL
Melissa Loyd
At the time that I read this, mid 90's, it was easily my favorite CP next to The Last Vampire. I am almost 30 but I think I will reread some of them.. :)
Robyn Drummond
I read this when I was younger, and just recently I had to find it again. And I'm so glad I did! This story idea is so original and intriguing. I love it!
rebecca
Absolutely love Christopher Pike's stories. "Master of Murder" had me pulling out my sleuth skills trying to piece together the mystery story. Excellent read!
Jaimie
Another great murder mystery from the amazing Christopher Pike! :)

Would write a long review, but I can't really come up with anything. :P
Kate
I really liked this story because it was about a high school kid who was secretly writing novels--kind of a fantasy of mine at the time...
Serina
very intersting book with a good twist. I loved it. I read it a few hyears back when i was a grade 10. Totally worth the time.
Louie
looking for something scarier
the phrase "don't be afraid, be terrified" is seriously an over reaction compared to the book
Lesley
This was my favorite book ever when I was 10! I had such a weird crush on the teenage writer.
Brittany
I absolutely loved this and almost everything else by Pike that I read in middle school.
Melissa Null
Re-read this gem while I was home sick from work. Damn, I forgot how much I love Christopher Pike!
  • Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)
  • Call Waiting (Point Horror)
  • The Waitress
  • Silent Stalker
  • Wrong Kind of Girl (Sweet Valley High #10)
  • The Fever
19954
Christopher Pike is the pseudonym of Kevin McFadden. He is a bestselling author of young adult and children's fiction who specializes in the thriller genre.

McFadden was born in New York but grew up in California where he stills lives in today. A college drop-out, he did factory work, painted houses and programm...more
More about Christopher Pike...
Thirst No. 1: The Last Vampire, Black Blood, and Red Dice (Thirst, #1) Thirst No. 2: Phantom, Evil Thirst, and Creatures of Forever (Thirst, #2) Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn (Thirst, #3) Thirst No. 4: The Shadow of Death (Thirst, #4) Remember Me (Remember Me, #1)