Start by marking “I'd Rather Be in Charge: A Legendary Business Leader's Roadmap for Achieving Pride, Power, and Joy at Work” as Want to Read:

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Charlotte Beers is proof that women can achieve power, pride, and joy at work—despite the odds.

In the highly competitive and often cutthroat world of advertising, Charlotte became the first female ever to head two giant, multinational advertising
agencies. In serving her demanding clients, she helped build many of the most important brands around the world.Today, Charlott
Published January 31st 2012 by Vanguard Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about I'd Rather Be in Charge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'd Rather Be in Charge

Beth Hatch
I am almost embarrassed to admit that I read this book for fear that I might be giving the impression that I have an insatiable need for power. I just want to be a better leader and learn to be more assertive, and was looking for a book similar to Lean In by Cheryl Sandberg.

There were parts of this book that I thought were very good regarding being assertive and being able to identify how others see you and changing your behavior to reflect how you want to be perceived -- modifying your self-po
Mark Holencik
Charlotte Beers writes her story of how she made her way to the top. She tells the story in such a way that helps empower you to reach farther. She tells how she had to look at her past to see why she did things the way she did. This gave her the insight to change the things that did not work for her.
Vanessa
I really liked this book in part because I had the chance to meet Charlotte and hear her speak, so I felt her voice in a way I might not have just from reading. The end was the best part by far, and I was able to pull out some excellent gems I'll keep referencing over time as I re-evaluate my career.
Laura Mcnew
Excellent book. I heard Charlotte Beers at a conference this week. I encourage all women professionals to read it. Charlotte Beers offers great advise and insight to business.
JoAnn
How a woman owns her power and displays that in the workplace has been a public dance for decades. This book brought together the need for playing the game the way it needs to be played, plus acting authentically oneself. It's a non-apologetic affirmation that it's not only okay, but perfectly correct to be recognized as the leader you were born to be. This is especially valuable for those of us old enough to have been told you must "act like a man" to be a strong female boss, and have struggled ...more
Bridget
Part of my continued informal self study in leadership. Gives good evidence for the basic yet challenging point that the way you interact with others at work is in large part shaped by the messages you assimilated in your family as a child about how to behave. The author asserts that by being mindful of those messages, we can actively shape how we act and how we are perceived in the workplace. The book has some promising-sounding tips, and it's interesting to read about the author's experience r ...more
Lori
After hearing Charlotte Beers speak at a conference, I was anxious to read her book. She is an amazing lady, very quick to think and react in the moment. I gained a lot of helpful ideas from her book, but the greatest lessons were learned from meeting with a women's group each month to discuss! Each chapter took on a whole new meaning. We all loved Charlotte's idea of creating your own portrait. This task is not easy, but it came together nicely with help from the group!
Sara Gray
I had an a moment while reading this book. I have a well defined self portrait. I know who I am and what motivates me. The concept of probing others of their view of you is interesting. Are you presenting yourself how you want to be known? How much do you know about your reputation? Bosses get false praise so do you really know how your thought of. Interesting and I will definitely put this in my toolbox.
Enid
"A legendary business leader's roadmap for achieving pride, power and joy at work." I think every working woman would find something to think about here. Maybe it should be required reading for every smart, young, working woman.
Wendy
This audiobook was read by the author, which might not have been the best choice. The reading came across stilted and phony. The book was okay but not what I was hoping for.
Carmen
Not too much new information, but a good read in general. Beers was a "pioneer" of women in corporate management and now runs workshops for other women in top seats.
Karen
Excellent view from a woman's pointe of view. Great insight and instruction on how to be a power centered woman void of emotional baggage!
Brianna Elsass
Interesting tolerance about Charlotte, some interesting tips regarding how she looked at herself and growing through business
Anne
Women in marketing, Ms Beers has a lot to teach and share. Her way of establishing a future work persona is spot on.
Lana
Lana marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Della
Della marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Mariela Madzharova
Mariela Madzharova marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Natfoxxfiends
Natfoxxfiends marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Amanda J.
Amanda J. marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
KiKi Art
KiKi Art marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Diana Di
Diana Di marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Frankie Saucier
Frankie Saucier marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
  • Play Like a Man, Win Like a Woman: What Men Know About Success that Women Need to Learn
  • How Remarkable Women Lead: The Breakthrough Model for Work and Life
  • Howard's Gift: Uncommon Wisdom to Inspire Your Life's Work
  • Thinking for a Living: How to Get Better Performances And Results from Knowledge Workers
  • Women Who Don't Wait in Line: Break the Mold, Lead the Way
  • I Shouldn't Be Telling You This: Success Secrets Every Gutsy Girl Should Know
  • How Great Women Lead: A Mother-Daughter Adventure into the Lives of Women Shaping the World
  • Rethinking Information Work: A Career Guide for Librarians and Other Information Professionals
  • On Becoming Fearless
  • Nice Girls Just Don't Get It: 99 Ways to Win the Respect You Deserve, the Success You've Earned, and the Life You Want
  • Knowing Your Value: Women, Money, and Getting What You're Worth
  • The Brand You50 (Reinventing Work): Fifty Ways to Transform Yourself from an "Employee" into a Brand That Shouts Distinction, Commitment, and Passion!
  • The Secret Thoughts of Successful Women
  • Let the People in: The Life and Times of Ann Richards
  • The Art of War for Women: Sun Tzu's Ancient Strategies and Wisdom for Winning at Work
  • Hardball for Women
  • Millionaire Women Next Door: The Many Journeys of Successful American Businesswomen

“Being in charge of your work life doesn't mean you always move with assurance and sublime self-confidence; it means you keep moving, continuing on your own path, even when you feel shaky and uncertain.” 1 likes
“Here's what I believe is sexy at work: being strong and committed and confident, being precisely who you are and in hot pursuit of the goals and ideas you believe in so much they captivate and inspire others.” 1 likes