Start by marking “The Day Roy Riegels Ran the Wrong Way” as Want to Read:
The Day Roy Riegels Ran the Wrong Way

The Day Roy Riegels Ran the Wrong Way

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  67 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
At the 1929 Rose Bowl, talented center Roy Riegels picked up a fumble and made an incredible sixty-five-yard run. There was just one problem: Roy Riegels was running the wrong way!

Renowned author Dan Gutman recreates this painful (but funny) moment in sports history in a picture book play-by-play of the game's most thrilling moments-all framed by a friendly grandpa remembe
Published October 11th 2011 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about The Day Roy Riegels Ran the Wrong Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day Roy Riegels Ran the Wrong Way

Luann
Mar 07, 2012 Luann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Luann by: JLG
Dan Gutman brought a lot of entertainment to this great story, but Kerry Talbott's illustrations really steal the show. The football players especially look just a little bit wacky but not too over-the-top. This has a graphic novel feel with lots of word bubbles, some split screens, and a box in the bottom corner showing the grandpa, who is telling his grandson the story of the day football center Roy Riegels ran the wrong way. I expect that this will be a huge hit with the sports-loving boys in ...more
Meghan
Feb 04, 2016 Meghan rated it really liked it
Cute book. Too wordy for my VERY active group, but would love to use for elementary aged group.
Deann
This is a primary book. It is intended for independent reading although it would be a fun read aloud.

I chose this book because Haidyn marked he like biographies and sports. This book has both of those. He said the kinds of movies he likes to watch are comedies. This is a pretty funny book. I think he will enjoy the unique format of the text.

This a book about a famous football player named Roy Riegels. What is he famous for??? Is it for an epic touchdown run? No. Is it for a Hail Mary pass that e
Lisa
Jul 26, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
Dan Gutman is known for his love of sports. I've read so many of his baseball card, time- traveling stories, and I know that children love them. This picture book format of a true story is perfect as an introduction. I will buy this for my school and share with grades who are ready for his chapter books. I can even see this book being used to pro to research as Gutman must do for his books. My students will love this book!
Barbara
Oct 06, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: ncbla, picture-book
Based on a true incident that occurred during the 1929 Rose Bowl football game, this story recounts a mistake that is still talked about decades after it occurred. California Golden Bear Center Roy Riegels picks up a loose ball dropped by the opposing team, Georgia Tech, and then heads for the goal line. The trouble is that he heads for the wrong goal line, halting just in the nick of time, but leaving his team deep in the whole. Of course there's a lesson to be learned about not letting mistake ...more
Aug 14, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This will definitely be read aloud to my third graders this year. I love its format and that it is based on a true story.
Feb 04, 2012 Laura rated it it was ok
A clear and easy to understand nonfiction text about Roy "Wrong Way" Riegels. This is sure to be a popular title among my football lovers. I did not like the word bubbles used in the text -- they are easy to read but I didn't think they worked well overall. A few of the pictures were split in the center of the book and this didn't translate well in a picture book format.

I would give this book 3 stars but there were no end notes. Students deserve to see attribution and a bibliography too! Did you
Lisa
Mar 03, 2012 Lisa rated it it was ok
Shelves: ala, arc, picture-books
Interesting story, but the presentation didn't quite do it for me. The combination of regular text and speech bubbles was a little distracting, and the graphics are in an almost caricature style, which doesn't particularly appeal to me. It would probably appeal to sports fans, including reluctant readers. Just didn't happen to be one of my favorites.

(Note: I received a free advance reading copy of this book from the publisher at an American Library Association Annual Conference. I was not requir
Stacy Morrow
Jun 18, 2014 Stacy Morrow rated it it was amazing
Love this true story. Great book for character development/classroom community! Will add to my back to school reading list for the beginning of the year.
Michael
Oct 28, 2011 Michael rated it it was ok
Shelves: sports, picture-books
Too bad that the message overshadows the sport, but how do you have a book about a football game without mentioning the final score in the text (it's in the back matter). Plus, there are two rather glaring errors, one in terminology and one in the rules of sports, that at least need to be explained. Both mean that the game is not really the point of the book. Great point to the book, and one that is well illustrated in the story, but dissappointing to see a sports book not really about sports.
Marguarite Markley
What a unique book. I love that it is a true story about one of the biggest mistakes in the history of football. It's a great lesson for kids, but it's not a preachy story. It's very well-written and illustrated. I think this will appeal to dads looking for a great read-aloud for their 3 to 8 year old kids (boys or girls). Nicely done!
Beth Nieman
Oct 19, 2011 Beth Nieman rated it liked it
Boys who like football will enjoy reading this story about a true incident from football history; there's a good life lesson in not letting your failures dictate the way you live your life. The illustrations by Kerry Talbott are full of energy and gridiron action.
Jen
Nov 19, 2011 Jen rated it liked it
I was not aware of this story from the 1929 Rose Bowl where Roy Riegels ran the wrong way with the football. I am a football fan so this book appealed to me, but I'm thinking that most likely only my boys at school will be the ones checking this book out.
Rani
Jul 15, 2012 Rani rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb-nonfiction
Creative Nonfiction text and great images make this a great sports book.

Great humor in writing and sustained by the commentary-like text of the play. The conversation between grandfather and grandson also helps the profluence of the story.
Joenna
Feb 05, 2012 Joenna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1st-2nd
A boy's grandfather tells him about the famous Rose Bowl game in 1929 when the University of California Golden Bears lost after one of their players ran the wrong way down the football field.

A fun book for perhaps an older boy reluctant reader.
Jeanette Johnson
Nov 09, 2011 Jeanette Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute story about never giving up even when you do the wrong thing. The illustrations really pop out at you as you read the story. They enhance the book quite a bit. Simply told, this is a good story about perseverance.
Jess
Oct 26, 2013 Jess rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, z_13
Poor Roy.

It's a bit awkward out loud. I get and like the message, but Gutman shouldn't have hid the ending score in the author's note.

The book's fine. It'll get checked out lots.
Mary Lee
Gutman captures the cadence of a radio sports announcer as grandpa tells grandson the story of Wrong Way Riegels. Good moral to the story about carrying on after you make a mistake.
Cheryl Angel
Aug 09, 2012 Cheryl Angel rated it it was amazing
A true story about how Roy Riegels ran the wrong way during the 1929 superbowl. A great book to support a discussion about making and recovering from mistakes.
Jessica
Aug 28, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
I read this with the boys. Very entertaining way to describe a big mistake. It was great to read that Roy Riegels got over this situation and went on to be successful.
John Delich
Feb 11, 2012 John Delich rated it really liked it
Dan Gutman is a favorite of my students. This picture book dabbles in the graphic novel format. My grandson read it to me on the way home from school last night.
Paula
Aug 27, 2012 Paula rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pic
Typical conversation between a grandson and grandfather. A wonderful story to tell around New Year's Day or for encouraging someone who's made a mistake.
Kim
Jan 05, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
Great read aloud for the beginning of January. The kids get a real kick out of the huge mistake Roy made. Gutman sends a terrific message to kids.
Colby Sharp
Feb 02, 2012 Colby Sharp rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographical, sports
I can always use high quality sports picture books.

Their will be fights in fourth grade over this book in the morning.
A. Somers
Nov 07, 2011 A. Somers rated it liked it
A great story for anybody who has ever made a mistake . I love the dialgue between the boy and his grandfather .
Donalyn
Based on the true events of a 1929 Rose Bowl game in which Roy Riegels ran the wrong way down the field.
Kim
Jan 18, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports, older-picture
True story about Roy Riegels wrong way run during the Rose Bowl in 1929. Fun read aloud for older kids
Edward Sullivan
Dec 24, 2011 Edward Sullivan rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books, sports
Based on a true and embarrarssing story, this is one sports fans will appreciate.
Jess
May 14, 2013 Jess rated it liked it
Shelves: sports, 2013
Nice message about learning from your mistakes, carrying on and trying again.
Rita
Dec 06, 2011 Rita rated it really liked it
What a great story! Boys will love this book!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The author of over 80 books in a little over a decade of writing, Dan Gutman has written on topics from computers to baseball. Beginning his freelance career as a nonfiction author dealing mostly with sports for adults and young readers, Gutman has concentrated on juvenile fiction since 1995. His most popular titles include the time-travel sports book Honus and Me and its sequels, and a clutch of ...more
More about Dan Gutman...