Start by marking “Lakeland” as Want to Read:
Lakeland

Lakeland

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  76 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
In this wry, sensual, and entertaining journey into the greatest lake country on earth, Allan Casey encounters cottagers, boat captains, marathon swimmers, Aboriginal fishery managers, hermits, and tourists. Through his sharply drawn characters, lively storytelling, and intimate evocation of wild beauty, he celebrates the rich culture and unsung splendor of Canada's lakela ...more
Published January 31st 2011 by Greystone Books / David Suzuki Foundation

To ask other readers questions about Lakeland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lakeland

Sonya
May 02, 2012 Sonya rated it it was ok
One Book One Community for 2012 for Waterloo Region. Canadian non-fiction. It was a nice detailed story that touched on one man's journey through several provinces and his outings on Canadian lakes; a topic not covered in many books if any at all. It has major Canadian appeal and his knowledge and insight was delightful throughout the entire book. However it was not my type of read, it was boring and needed some humour to keep the reader enthused. If you like detailed settings this book is for y ...more
Sylvie Spraakman
Sep 09, 2013 Sylvie Spraakman rated it liked it
A fun travel read, great information and reflections on water issues, and great stories from interesting people. This author really has a knack for meeting and understanding "locals", and for finding interesting places to go, like driving on an ice highway over Lake Athabasca in winter! At times the writing was cheesy, a bit forced, or over simplified some politics. But I still think it's a worthwhile read for all Canadians, especially while lounging in your chair by a lake!
Eric B. Kennedy
Apr 29, 2013 Eric B. Kennedy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canada
It may not be the quickest paced book, but it weaves a beautiful story that forces you to reconsider how you view Canada. Casey's journeys take him across the country, rediscovering the nation that he calls home. Indeed, he finds that what holds the country together the most profoundly is its essence as 'Lakeland.'

If you're interested in what Canada is and where it might be heading, I'd suggest that Lakeland is well worth a quick read.
Jakey Gee
Jun 29, 2012 Jakey Gee rated it really liked it
Valuable material on the journey to finding one's Inner Canadian, yeah. I especially enjoyed the Quebec episode and the insights into 'les autres' . Determined to get hold of some Grey Owl books too - what an priceless scammer!
Sarah Boon
Jan 12, 2013 Sarah Boon rated it really liked it
A beautifully written and thoughtful exploration of large lakes across the country, including what they mean to the people now and in the past. Casey makes me want to see these lakes for myself - before they're altered forever.
John
Jun 17, 2013 John rated it it was amazing
Great read - As a Canadian living next to water - this book gives you so much food for thought. The future of lakes and the changing Canadian landscape.
Barbara McVeigh
Did you know that:

*Canada has more than three million lakes?

*60% of world's lakes are found in Canada?

Informative, yet romantic, Lakeland paddles through the meaning of lakes in Canada, to Canadians. It's not surprising that this book won the GG. Beautiful images such as "the wavering green minnows moving into the shade under a boat dock like suspended jade pieces" (2), help evoke the lake as "nature's most beautiful landscape feature" (10). Yes, that's from Thoreau.

The book journeys throughou
Jane
Oct 21, 2014 Jane rated it liked it
Shelves: sub-par
Everyone will take something different away from this book. I feel that the true essence oft his book could have been better demonstrated through a video documentary or blog; however that is another issue. The Author is both laid back and relate able, which has allowed me to get through parts of this book which were a bit sobering. Often his recounts of his experiences while on his journeys are hardly exciting at all, I'm afraid.

Not a bad addition to my Canadian literature shelf. It will at the
Jaclyn
Liked the Canadian perspective; there's a lot to think about here. While the info is good, I just didn't find this a gripping read. The style was a little too flowery for me.
Julie Barnes
Julie Barnes is currently reading it
Jul 02, 2016
Heidi Staples
Heidi Staples rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Anum
Anum added it
Mar 10, 2016
Ysabel
Ysabel rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Nancy Pants
Nancy Pants marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
David Barkley
David Barkley rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2016
GARY
GARY marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Missp
Missp added it
Jan 16, 2016
Shannon
Shannon is currently reading it
Dec 30, 2015
K8tt6
K8tt6 rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Nicole Steadman
Nicole Steadman marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Marion G
Marion G is currently reading it
Oct 21, 2015
Rebecca Faber
Rebecca Faber marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Dave
Dave rated it did not like it
Sep 02, 2015