Start by marking “The Sexy Years: Discover the Hormone Connection: The Secret to Fabulous Sex, Great Health, and Vitality, for Women and Men” as Want to Read:

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Getting older can be brutal—women gain weight, lose their sex drive, experience hot flashes, suffer memory loss, become short-tempered, find it difficult to sleep, and on and on. It’s not so easy for men, either—they start to lose energy and stamina as they age, too (and they have to live with women going through menopause). After years of being thin and fit and full of en ...more
Published March 15th 2005 by Harmony (first published December 16th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Sexy Years, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sexy Years

Beth Jones
My friend Diane recommended this book to me. A great, informative book explaining in detail the changes a woman's body goes through before, during, and after menopause. Suzanne openly shares her own story, and encourages women to live healthy, purpose-filled, happy lives...because life is just too short not to! While Suzanne's description of the "7 dwarves of menopause" is funny, the reality is not. This book gives you a possible answer. For any woman wanting to know more about bioidentical horm ...more
Mike Noga
I understand the desire to remain eternally youthful; it's been a desire of mankind for ages. Stories about "fountains of Youth" and such permeate all our world's mythologies and nobody likes to face the inevitability of death. It's plain scary. So is the gradual enfeeblement that usually accompanies the aging process.

But people come on, you're taking medical advice from the star of SHE"S THE SHERRIF, not to mention THREE'S COMPANY. Are we all living in that much fear of nature's surest thing?
Natalie
I did not read this whole book, so I'm not going to give it any stars. I read the two sections on hormones, which I found informative since I take bio-identical hormones and I would definitely recommend these sections for those interested in bio-identical hormone replacement. The whole book is probably really good, I just am not interested in reading it all right now. Each chapter starts with hilarious quotes. My favorite: Perks of aging: "I no longer have patience for people who don't like me." ...more
Deborah
My favorite author!!!!! Suzanne Somers spends an incredible amount of time researching the topic of bio identical harmones & women's health. ( I have all
her books & reference them often).
I recommend all of her books to women who desire to learn about the seasons of our life. Peri menopause, menopause & postmenopausal Seasons.
Sharon
Good information on bioidentical hormone replacement, but not as much information as some of her other books.
Jan Jordan Lokensgard
This book really helped me get on the right path to understanding life after 50.
Dayla
Other than not providing a realistic solution for the everyday woman, and for making a lot of doctors rich, I found myself disliking this book, the further the distance from reading it.

Oh sure! I was out there trying to find doctors to help me continue estrogen, etc, but it soon became apparent that Suzanne's book, however inspirational, was not going to spearhead a movement to get women to continue their periods after menopause.

However, Somers always wins for being the sexiest woman around.
Teresa
I have a lot more respect for the author after reading this book. I am also thankful that she did the investigating and wrote the book. I was looking for more information on bio-identical hormones. I found a lot of good, helpful information on that as well as information from doctors who are more forward thinking. There is also a lot of inspiration, and anecdotal information that made me feel normal, lucky and hopeful for the future. If you plan to age, you should read this book!
Liza
Having turned 50 I have decided to really manage my own health and be educated about the options that are open to me to maintain an active lifestyle. I wanted to learn about natural hormones and this was an informational book mixed with some fun.
I cherish the years I spent raising my children but I think the best is yet to come and I am going to be up and running.

Quote from book: Perks of aging: Your secrets are safe with your friends because they can't remember them either.
emi Bevacqua
I heard about Suzanne Somers writing women's health books a few years ago and was entirely skeptical. But a friend recommended I read this recently and I have to admit it all sounds super compelling. I'll follow up with some doctor visits and try to find out if bioidentical hormone replacement therapy really is the miracle cure for perimenopausal symptoms that they're saying it is. And if it is I'll change my rating higher!
Dee
This was good in explaining alternative HRT. It probably could have been shorter. I felt a lot of redundancy. I got a little overwhelmed with all the talk of supplemental remedies. Also, if you had Ms. Somer's money that would help make this passage a little easier. Not everyone has access to these doctors and their treatments. All and all it was enjoyable and thought provoking.
Marianne Ogden
She must not have had any help writing this book. The writing is very poor. However, I still got many helpful pointers from it and even learned that men also go through hormone changes, called andropause. It just happens much more gradually than it does for women. This book helped me to make some enpowering choices.
September
Aug 20, 2007 September rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any woman over 35 or so.
This book contains SO much valuable information for women who are facing menopause and midlife changes. It is chockful of ways to improve health and happiness. In my opinion, it has nothing to do with sex, and everything to do with navigating the difficulties presented by menopause and its symptoms. This is a must read.
Marie M
Apr 28, 2008 Marie M rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone so you may know what baseline labs to have in your medical files
Recommended to Marie by: no one....I've just always like Ms. Somers attitude and exactly
It has volumes of info for women and men. I found her first chapter, and her experience of part of what she went though in that chapter- not as bad as she experienced it-for me...it wasn't that bad...more like a gnat flying around me...where is that bug spray...opps chemicals...and I'm so into detoxicing my body.
Tracy
I can sum this up in one phrase: She recommends natural bio-identical hormone replacement for menopausal women.

Synthetic hormone replacement will not do. Natural bio-identical hormones only.

The book is nearly 10 years old, so I will continue searching to see if there is more up-to-date recommendations.
Rebecca
Every woman should read this book. The high rating is NOT for literary excellence, but instead, for the importance of the information and the author's dedication to getting it to the public. Read the scientific parts. Some of the annecdotes are helpful.
Angela
For some reason this was difficult for me to get into. Dense type, repetitious; clinical, which has not bothered me before. I suppose it is because I've read quite a bit on the subject of hormone replacement.
Denise Messenger
Somers lays out the hormone connection to aging through interviews with physicians and her own personal experience. Another good read.
Natalie
Adropause - male menopause, is addressed along with female menopause. Gobs of info on bioidentical hormones vs. synthetic.
Chris
Knockout was a better book. Too much about bio-idential hormones in this book and her health regime must be a full time job.
Linda Engebretson
Learned about bio-identical hormones. They improved my how I feel tremendously. Great help for middle age.
*Christie*
A good look at bioidentical hormones and why they should be studied for women with hormonal imbalances.
Kim
Some good information about natural hormones for both men and women.
Amanda Herman
Learned A LOT about natural hormone replacement.
Silvia
Jul 25, 2008 Silvia added it
GOING THROUGH THE CHANGE, WHAT CAN I SAY I'M GETTING OLDER!
Melissa Caron
Every woman should read this book.
Tracie Montgomery
Tracie Montgomery marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Lilia
Lilia marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
  • What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause: The Breakthrough Book on Natural Hormone Balance
  • Your Best Body Now: Look and Feel Fabulous at Any Age the Eat-Clean Way
  • Eat More, Weigh Less: Dr. Dean Ornish's Life Choice Program for Losing Weight Safely While Eating Abundantly
  • Fit for Life II
  • Yoga, Youth, and Reincarnation
  • The Perricone Prescription: A Physician's 28-Day Program for Total Body and Face Rejuvenation
  • The Liver Cleansing Diet
  • The Book of Massage: The Complete Step-by-Step Guide To Eastern And Western Techniques
  • The Wisdom of Menopause: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing During the Change
  • The Essential Oils Book: Creating Personal Blends for Mind & Body
  • A Week in the Zone
  • Guardian (Warriors for the Light #6)
  • Healing Love through the Tao: Cultivating Female Sexual Energy
  • Medicinal Plants of the Mountain West
  • Staying Healthy with Nutrition, rev: The Complete Guide to Diet and Nutritional Medicine
  • The Thyroid Diet Revolution: Manage Your Master Gland of Metabolism for Lasting Weight Loss
  • A Cancer Therapy: Results of Fifty Cases and the Cure of Advanced Cancer by Diet Therapy
  • Beating Cancer with Nutrition, book with CD
Suzanne Somers is an American actress, author, and businesswoman. Best known for her role as the ditzy blonde Chrissy Snow on the ABC sitcom Three's Company, she also had a noted starring role on the sitcom Step by Step as Carol Foster Lambert. She later capitalized on her acting career by also establishing herself as an author of a series of self-help books. She has released two autobiographies, ...more
More about Suzanne Somers...
Breakthrough:Eight Steps to Wellness (Life-Altering Secrets from Today's Cutting-Edge Doctors) Knockout: Interviews with Doctors Who Are Curing Cancer and How To Prevent Getting it in the First Place Ageless: The Naked Truth About Bioidentical Hormones Keeping Secrets Sexy Forever: How to Fight Fat after Forty