Start by marking “Being Human” as Want to Read:
Being Human

Being Human

For Tommy, there is only one thing he needs to do: survive.

Only surviving isn't that easy. The hunt for blood can be tricky when humans know to fear the night. Desire sits on the edge of his mind, urging him to become the monster humans think he is. Vampire Forces, a special branch of police, is determined to turn every vampire to ash. Tommy included.

The only human Tommy
ebook
Published August 30th 2011 (first published August 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Being Human, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being Human

Experiment BL626
CAUTION: Long Review, Spoilers

A fifteen-years old boy wakes up and finds himself as a vampire in Being Human. With a strong survival instinct that is quickly extinguishing memories of his human life, Tommy rushes to sake his blood thirst, murdering his family in the process. Only one family member survives — his twin brother Danny.

Told in 1st POV from Tommy’s side, Being Human (BH) divides its plot into five parts, chapters nonexistent, and spans across (by my guesstimate) 30-40 years. The stor
Brett
Jan 19, 2012 Brett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why can’t I find a nice, boring book that won’t wrench apart my insides? This is the third one in the past week. I can’t handle it. Stop writing amazing books people. With that said, I can’t believe I took so long to get around to this one. With the simple, yet eerily awesome dark cover begging me to open it up and read, I have to wonder what the hell was wrong with me. I shouldn’t have kept Tommy waiting. There were so many times that my eyes teared up leaving me blinking away the blurry vision ...more
Daniel Kaine
Jul 13, 2011 Daniel Kaine rated it it was amazing
'Being Human' follows Tommy as he wakes up as a vampire, his human memories slipping fast from his mind. Survival is all that matters to him now, but there's just one problem... his identical twin brother, Danny - his last link to the human world.

Through Danny, Tommy begins to learn what it means to be human. He learns the importance of friends and family. And he learns that some monsters are very human.

The story is fast paced, exciting, gut-wrenching, and completely addicting. Once I picked it
Patricia Lynne
Jul 19, 2011 Patricia Lynne added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
Well, I did write it and publish it, so yeah, I like it a little bit. ;)
Cassie
Oct 28, 2011 Cassie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who loves Vampires
In this truly original tell of vampires, society and the bonds of family, you will find everything you’re looking for in a great novel! Just as our narrator, Tommy, has a hard time understanding why humans do what they do, I’m having a hard time sorting out my emotions after reading Being Human. This is one of those stores that makes you step back and think. The main character that the story follows is so well written and truthful that I have a strong suspicion the author must have been turned i ...more
Heather
Sep 11, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being Human was a breath of fresh air with vampires !!!! Tommy doesn't sparkle or badass vamp ..no but he is conflicted and confused.Tommy is very analytical and factual, he kills because he has to. Danny his twin brother keeps him grounded to the human world without him Tommy would be without any feelings. I loved we got to see Tommy's journey through his hell and understood how he felt about different situations. I really enjoyed the passage of time in the book. It gives the readers a longer p ...more
Lor Rose
Jan 09, 2012 Lor Rose rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fiction
Being Human centers around a vampire named Tommy and his human twin Danny.

Being Human not only follows the struggles of Tommy dealing with his new life and outlook but also the humans around him. This book centers around Tommy and his struggles but most miss Danny's and other humans changes as well.

In this touching book humans accidentally find the existence of vampires as a tour buss witnesses a vampire welcoming the heat of the sun. The Vampire Forces are formed to eradicate the emotionless
Richard Gaylor
Aug 04, 2012 Richard Gaylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am an avid bookreader. My favorite genre is Vampire. This book stole my heart with its reality of human intolerance with things different than the "norm." Ms Lynne has captured life so well. I have read and reread this book on Nook, until I had to purchase my own copy. Any person or member of any form of minority whether racial, social, religious, or sexual, will identify with Tommy and his struggles with "Being Human." One of the greatest books I have ever read!!!
Rickg From Pennsylvania
Richard Denney
Nov 17, 2011 Richard Denney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWESOME. If there was a word to describe it.
I loved the entire story and fell head over heels
for the characters. The cover is also great.
Patricia is such a great writer and the pages just
went by so quickly. Can't wait to read the sequel
and enjoy these characters and story all over again.
I'd recommend this to the supernatural YA lovers.
READ! you must!!!

-R.D.
Vixen
Sep 08, 2012 Vixen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is no one word that I can say that will do justice to what I think of Being Human!

Amazingly awesome, fascinating, entertaining, easily-readable, and not to mention funny! I was right when I had thought this sounded like an interesting read. Little did I know that I would be reading a new favorite! I am so glad I read this book! ^_^

So basically, Being Human is told in 1st person POV which I absolutely loved. But we get right into the mind of Tommy, a recently turned vampire that—like all t
Carole Rae
Feb 07, 2012 Carole Rae rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stephanie
This is the first Patricia Lynne book I've read and the first YA vampire tale I've read since Breaking Dawn. I can finally say I'm back on the train of vampire novels (as you can tell, because I've read two of them in a row). I'm still team Werewolf, but hey...I love me some vampires. Being Human not only sated my need for a good vampire story, but a nice YA book also.

The first thing I would like to point out is that Patricia Lynne wrote vampires on how I see them: survival-orientated. Blood is
Sevimli Hırsız
Jul 06, 2012 Sevimli Hırsız rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patricia LYNNE / İNSAN OLMAK
Çok değişik bir konusu olan güzel bir kitaptı.Okurken çok çeşitli duygu karmaşalarında kaldım.Yazarın ele aldığı kurgu oldukça farklı , farklı olmasıyla beraber merak uyandırıcıydı.Bildiğimiz vampir kitaplarından çok farklıydı bu kitap.Burada bir vampirin –istemeden vampir olan bir insanın- insan olmanın anlamını çözmeye çalışması , insanlar tarafından dışlanması buna rağmen arkadaşlığı , aşkı , gülmeyi öğrenmesi anlatılıyordu.Ama bir noktaya değinmeliyim , zamanın ak
Jagged
Sep 25, 2012 Jagged rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-have
True Rating: 1.5 Stars.
"I've been half mad with worry. I thought maybe God took you to Heaven!"

"This is my brother. He's very real, very dead, and mostly harmless."
I smiled, trying to look harmless.
"Don't do that. You'll freak everyone out."
I dropped my smile.
"Now you look like you want to eat everyone."
"I do."

The beginning was really good. I also really loved the concept of this book. I thought the perspective was unique, and heartfelt. I just didn't care for how it was ultimately written.
Tommy
Melissa Haggerty
This book took a whole different spin on vampires than I am used to, and I loved it! Tommy forgets everything about his life as a human. It's like when he becomes a vampire he has a wiped clean slate. Except for when he sees his twin Danny. He may not remember Danny but he can feel it in his chest, this is his twin.

Patricia Lynne did a wonderful job of showing Tommy and Danny's relationship. Reading about Tommy's struggle to never make his brother unhappy was amazing. Everyone saw Tommy as a hea
Byron
Oct 06, 2011 Byron rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Read this story now!!!!!! You don't need to decide if you like a vampire tale, you don't need to decide anything... Patricia Lynne has written a hard hitting tale on humanity. I have spent the last 24 hours reading it at EVERY possible/conceivable point I could.. I wanted to just sit and hide till I finished it and then I didn't know if I wanted to cry, smile or bitch-out at Patricia for a remarkable ending...

Characters - Each character was so finely crafted, with no wasted words or ideas for e
Mitsy
Aug 28, 2012 Mitsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Won this! :) oh, yeah!

Wow. When I wrote that, I had no idea I'd be blown away.

Being Human took me longer to read than any book I've read this year. I have never been so surprised at the imagination, twists, turns, and humor from an author as I was with this. It's why it took so long, because I just didn't see or imagine what was coming - every other PAGE. Sometimes, every other paragraph. I never thought an author could have this many different elements in one book and make it all work perfec
Rebecca Walker
Aug 24, 2011 Rebecca Walker rated it really liked it
I bought this book based on a recommendation from an author I follow on Twitter. At first I struggled with the idea that a new vampire would have absolutely no understanding of humans at all, but it was interesting to see him learn from his twin brother. I found Tommy to be a fascinating character, and I think anyone who has struggles in life can relate to him. I love how the book progressed and he evolved. The end made me cry and I was actually disappointed that there wasn't more. By the time I ...more
Cassie
Jul 12, 2011 Cassie rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely beautiful. I loved how it spanned many years with gaps in between and it focused on several different types of relationships. Unlike most vampire books, it didn't focus on romantic love alone and didn't even seem like it was going to focus on romantic love at all until almost the end. I also really liked how the author made me step back and look objectively at things that seem so normal, like brushing your teeth. This book is definitely worth the read for anyone who likes ...more
Evie Jayne
Sep 14, 2012 Evie Jayne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't often write reviews, but this book really grabbed me. I won't go into a mini synopsis, I just want to say how impressed I am by it's originality and consistency. The main character is beautifully written and utterly believable. If you are a vampire fiction lover, this will give you a unique and fresh take. If you are not, read it anyway. It's a fantastic piece of writing and a great and unusual story.
Erin
Jul 14, 2011 Erin rated it it was amazing
Being Human is a story that is very near, and dear to my heart. It is not your typical vampire story, nor is Tommy your typical vampire. The story spans generations and shows the reader what it's like to be a vampire from his point of view. And it's not your typical girl meets boy vampire and falls in love ... it's better than that! It is a very refreshing take on the vampire genre.
Derya
sonu çok acıklıydı yaaa..
Akın
Feb 01, 2013 Akın rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Daha iyi olabilirdi.
Tiffany
Read this book if:

1. You love Vampire stories
2. You're ready for a slightly different take on vampires (you know, other than Twilight)
3. You have a sibling

I love this book. I actually read it for the first time quite a while ago, loved it SO much that I had no idea how to write a review, and immediately started reading another book by the same author.

6 months later, the memory of how much I enjoyed this book lingered in my thoughts. So, one night, as I lay in bed while sleep was nowhere to be fo
Stephanie Moakes
I cannot explain how much I LOVED this book!!

Patricia Lynne is an amazing storyteller and this book is one of the most thought provoking I have read in a long time. Her take on the vampire genre was completely unique, she created a species that we are meant to fear and that fear remained until the very last page and at its core this story is about the prejudices that we face as a society today. This book is fast paced, exciting and completely heart-breaking. This isn’t a story about love, it’s
Kayleigh
Jul 24, 2012 Kayleigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I start my review I just have to say that just because this book is about vampires it is nothing like "Twilight" or "Vampire Academy". You will not be swooning over vampires that sparkle.
With that being said this book is definatley something you should check out.

Why should you check it out?

That's simple. It's because this book is about the love of family. It's about finding yourself. It's about...being human.

The main character in this book is Tommy. He was 15 when he was turned into a va
Antonia♥
Sep 30, 2012 Antonia♥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on my blog:

‘’Being Human’’ is an intense thrill-ride that you don’t have to miss if you like books with vampires. I really liked this book and I also liked Patricia’s writing style. That’s why I will definitely be picking up anything Patricia writes in the future.
This book is divided in five parts so I would like to talk a little bit about each one.

PART I: BROTHERS
Well, the first part was OK, but that’s all I can say about it. It is about
Chapter by Chapter
I was not quite sure what to expect when I started reading this book. Sure, I struggled along in the beginning…questioning what the author was doing, why the characters did what they did, acted the way they did, spoke the way they did…but that line of questioning sure didn’t last long! I found myself completely immersed in this world! A world where we see the world through the eyes of a newly made vampire, and let me tell you…it was pretty darn interesting!
Patricia Lynne gives us a very believab
Rebecca
I really enjoyed this book. It took some getting used to the prose style at first, and there seemed to be a higher-than normal amount of proof reading errors, but once I got into it, I was in.

Vampires in this world are animal-like, simple, focused on survival. I imagine it would be kind of like what a guard dog would sound like if he could talk. Really fascinating.

I bawled for the last 15% or so.

However, I did not like the ending, especially since it switches from Tommy's POV to Jaime's (with so
Elsa Carrion
Nov 09, 2011 Elsa Carrion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: Being Human
Author: Patricia Lynne
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Romance, Vampires, Paranormal
Length: 284

Tommy and Dan are twins that are connected in a level only twins would understand. Patricia Lynne does a heck of a job in describing such a connection. I would have loved a twin to feel such connection. Tommy will forever be a teenager and will have to watch others change, grow old and die. Dan will always be there for him and Tommy will be there for Dan when they need each other. Dan will have
Trista
May 06, 2012 Trista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Our review!

What would happen if you woke one night and had a hunger for something? Yeah, we know we do this with chocolate and other strange things ... but blood?

One night Tommy awoke not knowing what was going on, where he was or why he wanted that copper, metallic flavor that is our sustenance of life. Patricia Lynne has wrote Being Human in a way that grabs the readers attention (I tell students it is the Hook) and lays the story out in a way that we cal follow and piece together (I tell the
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Rainy's Book Realm: Being Human - YA Paranormal ebook 1 10 Sep 01, 2011 03:44PM
  • Dawn of Darkness (Daeva, #1)
  • The War Inside (The Horizons Trilogy, #1)
  • Shadow's Dangers (The Last Hope, #1)
  • Brush of Shade (The Whisperer's Chronicles, #1)
  • Haffling (Haffling #1)
  • Bound (Unleashed #1)
  • Broods of Fenrir (Broods of Fenrir, #1)
  • Infected: Lesser Evils (Infected, #6)
  • Make Your Own Luck
  • Technically Dead
  • Aloes
  • Untethered (Hide, #1)
  • All Wounds (Stranger Things, #1)
  • The Curse Girl
  • Blacker than Black
  • Scent of a White Rose (The Rose Trilogy, #1)
  • Altered
  • Lucius' Bite (Family of Misfits, #1)
Patricia Lynne never set out to become a writer, and in fact, she never considered it an option during high school and college. She was all about art. On a whim, she wrote down a story bouncing in her head. That was the start of it and she hasn't regretted a moment. She writes New Adult under the name Patricia Josephine.

Patricia lives with her husband in Michigan, hopes one day to have what will r
More about Patricia Lynne...

“Are you still upset I murdered our parents? - Tommy to Danny” 8 likes
“Safe?” Her voice was small, timid and delicate. But beautiful. The one word chimed like little bells. Her first word spoken to me.” 6 likes