The Perfect Order of Things

The Perfect Order of Things

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Like a tourist visiting his own life, David Gilmour's narrator journeys in time to reexamine those critical moments that created him. He revisits the terrible hurt of a first love, the shock of a parent's suicide, the trauma of a best friend's bizarre dissembling, and the pain and humiliation of unrelenting jealousy, among other rites of passage. Set within an episodic nar...more
Published August 22nd 2011 by Thomas Allen & Son (first published February 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Order of Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perfect Order of Things

Kendra
In The Perfect Order of Things, David Gilmour writes a quasi-autobiographical novel, with a narrator we are encouraged to view as being the voice of David Gilmour. However, he very carefully fashions a novel that jumps and skips lightly over moments in a life. Moments that are personally painful. Links to the present day appear through an examination of place, and revisiting a place years later triggers memories of that past event which shaped the narrator's life profoundly.

I enjoyed the conver...more
Gina
This is one of those books with prose I thoroughly enjoyed but with a protagonist who didn't make me care.

The narrative structure is interesting. Gilmour presents a series of vignettes where his main character, a wealthy trust-fund kid turned writer, revisits places and people from his past. He recounts lost loves and obsessions, but I couldn't sympathize with someone who's has had nothing but privilege yet wrecks all that is good around him. When he recounts the story of heartbreak as an older...more
Kristine Morris
Enjoyable read. First time reading David Gilmour. Will most likely some of his other stuff. I liked how human this book was - following some of the characters mental, anxious inner-critic dialogue was funny but also very truthful. I think everyone has some of these thoughts at some point (maybe all the time).
Doriana Bisegna
Oh, I am so disappointed in this book! I was so looking forward to it being another good read from David Gilmour but it failed miserably for me! It was too much of a guy's book and I just couldn't relate very well! I am not sorry that I read it but let's just say that it fell very flat.
Paula Kirman
Gilmour's latest novel ties all of his work together by revisiting people and places from the past.
Friederike Knabe
Reading David Gilmour's new novel, "The Perfect Order of Things", I was reminded of Mark Twain's take on the well-known Socrates quote about a life that is not "examined". "The unexamined life may not be worth living, but the life too closely examined may not be lived at all." Canadian fiction author and film critic Gilmour, probably best for his internationally most popular book, "The Film Club", and his award-winning novel "A Perfect Night to go to China", may have found the middle ground betw...more
Kevin Craig
This review is from my book review blog: http://trythisbookonforsize.blogspot.ca/

As much as this is a work of fiction, David Gilmour can be gleaned in every sentence. This beautiful story is a trail of breadcrumbs that brings us to the author himself.

Gilmour’s first person narrator walks the reader of The Perfect Order of Things through a complex, well-lived life of a man always on the brink of the brink. We are treated to the narrator’s great loves, including Tolstoy and the Beatles, and we lea...more
Anya
In order to install some such things as perfectness & get some closure for past chapters of his life, David Gilmour sets out to visit places of past failures. Like a tourist looking outside-in on his own life, Gilmour ventures out to re-examine those moments that left him humiliated and ultimately shaped him into the person he is today: 1st love, his dad’s suicide, friendships gone wrong, unrelenting jealousy, among other rites of passage.

Sections of sheer, somehow sweet honesty are interrup...more
Shonna Froebel
This novel takes a main character from a previous book and has him narrate his own life. Revisiting significant places from his past, he reminisces about the events that made those places special to him. He talks about his family, showing us the relationship with his parents and older brother. He talks about his school friends and the escapades they were involved in. He talks about his first love and how that relationship ended. We see his subsequent relationships, including his marriages and ho...more
Zoe
David Gilmour’s novel The Perfect Order of Things deserves far more attention than it is receiving. The fictional autobiography depicts the protagonist’s painful return to sorrowful moments and places in his life. The often humorous, sometimes sad, physical and mental returns to these moments tell stories of love lost and chances missed in the life of man with a detached family, two ex-wives and a strange work ethic.

I found Gilmour’s book by chance, and was honestly drawn to its cover. From a...more
Wily Writer
Author Gilmour's veiled autobiography about a mature writer revisiting important times and places in his life. Includes insightful reminiscences about Ontario cottage country, Upper Canada College, The Beatles, the Toronto International Film Festival and "life with Tolstoy." Full of deeply-felt observations and life lessons. Ends with a genuine appreciation of life despite inherent sadness, disappointment and loss.
Rarecat
Yet another sixty year old man looked back on his life and viewed events, people, places in a different light. Using that as the structure, the author covered his experience in different places that had meant something to him, positively or negatively, talked about books (War and Peace) and music (The Beatles) , what they meant to him, then and now. It was, as David Gilmour himself said, an attempt to bring some order to things before end of life - hence the title of the book. It was a man tryin...more
Chantale
I can't find a reference to the narrator's first name. His dad was JP Monday, so we know his last name. I'll call him X. He could be any middle aged man revisiting his past. X is a ladies man and has two ex-wives both of whom he is on good terms with and has three children from each of his three wives. At the beginning of the book he talks about his aimless teenage years eventually becomes a writer and works in TV.

X reminisces about his many obsessions, including The Beatles, War and Peace, and...more
Northtospy
Interesting that this book is marketed as a novel. It certainly blurs the line between memoir and novel, and it apparently features plot lines and characters from Gilmour's previous fiction and non-fiction books (none of which I've read). It was recommended to me by a male friend who said it might give me some insight into how men think. I suppose it did do that, but more than anything, it was a compelling read--very funny in parts (e.g., chapter on TIFF), moving in others (chapter on coping wit...more
Leseratte
May 11, 2014 Leseratte marked it as to-read
Die perfekte Ordnung der Dinge
Anne Barkley
Most enjoyable
Jessica Jeffers
Oct 24, 2013 Jessica Jeffers marked it as this-exists
I guess this probably violates the new super-secret policy that suggests that readers can't or shouldn't make decisions about what to read when authors who say sexist things, but this is coming off my to-read list: http://www.randomhouse.ca/hazlitt/blo...
Sue
The idea behind the book was intriguing (the narrator decides to return to places where he has suffered) but for me, the book fell short. Some personalities and situations were just too far out there, and my sense of humour obviously does not line up with the author's.
Mairead
I didn't mind the stories, but the connections between them lost me. I thought they were a bit contrived, and didn't work so well. I preferred to think of this book more as a collection of short stories, 'cause it just wasn't working as a novel for me.
Blair
We join a man as he takes us on a journey across his life. It explores many complex themes that deal with mortality, depression, lost friendship, and love. It is beautifully written.
Sandy Iverson
Better than expected. A few laughs. Some poignant vulnerability from a still rather vain but human protagonist that I doubt I would be friends with, but enjoyed an afternoon with.
Brian
If you're in the right age demographic ... probably even if you're male ... you might like the realism/wisdom as Gilmour looks back
Luise
Gilmour is always engaging, but enough navel-gazing already! Veers a bit too close to self-indulgence towards the end.
Catherine
If you liked The Film Club, you will enjoy The Perfect Order of Things.
Agnesv
Awful. Tone is whiny and self-indulgent.
Aleesa Sutton
Didn't really interest me enough to finish.
Elizabeth Hall
A whole chapter on Tolstoy, need I say more?
Janessa Dinh
Janessa Dinh is currently reading it
Aug 12, 2014
Daeshin Kim
Daeshin Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014

David Gilmour is a novelist who has earned critical praise from literary figures as diverse as William Burroughs and Northrop Frye, and from publications as different as the New York Times to People magazine. The author of six novels, he also hosted the award-winning Gilmour...more
More about David Gilmour...
The Film Club: A True Story of a Father and Son A Perfect Night to Go to China Extraordinary Lost Between Houses Sparrow Nights