Start by marking “Year 50” as Want to Read:
Year 50

Year 50 (Pantheon Obsolescent #1)

It has been almost 50 years since the planet was nearly rid of humans. Wildlife grows without restraint, erasing the metal and concrete structures left behind. Even where industrialization was most prominent, trees and grassland are aggressively reclaiming their land; Earth is pulling away the scab of human civilization.

A young woman named Calypso leads a team of Scavenge
Published July 29th 2011 by CreateSpace (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Year 50, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Year 50

Timothy
Sep 24, 2012 Timothy rated it it was ok
Short Review: The premise seemed interesting but quickly devolved into a semi-typical post-apocalyptic story where civilization survives against zombie-ish creatures. I think the pacing was good but when the book ended I realized I didn't care for any of the characters. Another book in the series is coming soon, but I'm doubtful that I'll have enough interest to read it.
Angela
This was a book I found for free on www.amazon.co.uk. There is also a short story (Year 50: Trial of the Summer) available for free which I have yet to read. The short story, I believe, is set after the events in the book.

Now the book itself is an ok read. I love dystopian literature. I love zombies. I love sci-fi. I love stories about survival in a post-apocalyptic world. I thought, from the synopsis, that I would love this book as it has elements of all these things. I do not love this book. I
Renee Robinson
Apr 11, 2014 Renee Robinson rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopia
Year 50 B00596V36K by Geoff Bluske: I find this to be a creative take on the Zombie origin. The story is also unique in placing it 50 years after the earth crumbled.
It is well told and fast paced. The reader can easily “see” the story through the concise, descriptive writing of the author.
There is one issue which I found irritating. The repetitiveness of the character POV’s. Reading the same scenes over and over through the eyes of each character is clever and possibly something that has not b
E.A.
Jun 06, 2013 E.A. rated it really liked it
"Year 50," by Geoff Bluske, is a fine addition to the short list of worthwhile dystopian/zombie books. The best part of the novel, however, is its writing competence. What a relief and pleasure to be able to sit back and enjoy his writing craft on display here. Few typos to contend with, sentences that make sense, paragraphs that build, situations that are thought out, interesting characters with believable problems: oh what a wonderful feeling!

Yes, at a basic level, “Year 50” is another end-of-
Netanella
First paragraph:
Freya’s dream is shattered by a quick burst of sound, possibly a gunshot. She instinctively grabs the handgun beside her bed, never out of arm’s reach . Training has made this automatic, a muscle reaction. In a flash, the teenager is in a crouching position with the safety off, trying to find the threat. There is no visibility; the sun has not risen and her eyes are covered in a morning glaze. Freya uses acoustics to compensate for blindness, ears scanning for the faintest sound
Latia
Oct 24, 2012 Latia rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
Year 50 by Geoff Bluske was at first a slow read, but after a couple of chapters the book picks up steam.

The story is set in the post-apocalyptic world, where these zombie-like creatures have come to earth after a meteor shower. They infect people with an oil substance that creates another zombie and so forth. throughout time the zombies begin to mutate and another phase they go through call scraping, which you will have to read to know what the process is about.

The story is focused around a gr
Tammy K.
I give this book 4 stars, which I feel is a 'better then average' read.

It would have gotten 5 stars if it were not for minor but persistent grammar issues.

Pace: The book starts off painfully slow. The author chose to do his plot exposition in a large drop in the first 10% of the book. I was ready to put the book aside and move to the next on my to read list, but then the action started somewhere around 12% and kept building through out.
Now that I have finished the book, I am hungry for more. Tha
Robert C.
Feb 08, 2013 Robert C. rated it really liked it
This book covers about three weeks in and around the town of Brighton (no, not that Brighton) at the beginning of Year 50 - the fiftieth aniversary of the apocalypse that wiped out the vast majority of the human race - or to be more exact, turned them into puppets (zombies by another name).

Freya, Selene and Calypso set out into the Wilds to look for medical supplies and to try to find Selene's family, who disappeared several days ago on a similar trip. The ensuing action results in the destructi
Chris
Apr 14, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it
I do not normally go for zombie books. Call this one a weak moment, but a weak moment well spent. I was drawn to this book for two reasons. I do like stories about the post-apocalypse. This book also offered a new take on zombies, they are really an alien invasion. Finally, a valid explanation of a zombie apocalypse.

Geoff Bluske paints a very vivid world in his novel without going into unnecessary details. He brings the reader into the world through his strong, yet flawed characters. His plot f
Randy Harmelink
May 26, 2012 Randy Harmelink rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies, apocalypse
A nice twist on a zombie apocalypse.

Overall, I enjoyed the book quite a bit. But the first 20% was a bit hard to get through because it was setting things up for the rest of the story. But once things got going, it was a fun ride. I finished the last half of the book in one sitting because I couldn't put it down.

Although the story is technically about alien possession and not zombies, I think most zombie aficionados would enjoy the story. And, since the story is taking place 50 years after the a
Peg
Mar 20, 2013 Peg rated it liked it
Post-apocolyptic zombie-ish alien invasion. Okaaaayyy.......

Characters are interesting and nicely flawed (except for their unbelievable prowess at killing Puppets, this book's version of zombies). The editing of the book is pretty spotty -- sometimes the wrong word is used (for example, "conversation" when "conversion" would have been correct), or words are left out of sentences. Also, the voice often changes from third person to first person, with no indication as to who is speaking. The author
Allan Ashinoff
Feb 18, 2013 Allan Ashinoff rated it really liked it
The setting of this book is a post-apololytptic world where most of mankind has been reduced flesh eating aliens. The stoty primarily follows two sister/scavangers as they go into The WILD, the world outside the strongholds now housing the remains of mankind, to locate anything that can assist in their settlements survival (meds,weapons, ammo, etc.). I found the book to be interesting and well written. The action sequences were believalble and kept interest. The only reason I gave this 4 stars ...more
Laura Sydenham
Jun 24, 2012 Laura Sydenham rated it liked it
Downloaded for free onto kindle. Quite a good read that had me thinking about the book when I wasn't physically reading it. Disappointed to read several spelling or continuity errors. Bought the extended version: Trial of the Summer, was a little disappointed again that this was now being written in the first person whereas the 'first half' of the book: Year 50 wasn't. Overall I enjoyed the action sequences and the concept of the book, there were some pretty gross parts and some shocking parts. ...more
Kerie
Mar 11, 2014 Kerie rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I enjoyed this book, it kept me interested and entertained. My only complaint about it is the unnerving way the author kept changing point of view from first person to second person to third person and back again. I was taught in creative writing to NOT do that, it makes a story confusing, as it did in this case. I would have given it four stars except for the jarring changes of perspective. It could do with a good editing to correct errors having to do with missing conjunctions as well.
Carolyn F.
Not lendable.

I was recommended this book by a Apocalypse Now member with the caveat that it starts out slow. Boy did it! But I kept reading and eventually the book became very good. I'm really excited to read the next book "Year 51".

I'd recommend this book to any apocalyptic fans out there.
Stephen Hermer
May 23, 2012 Stephen Hermer rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading Year 50, and I am looking forward to reading more by Geoff Bluske. The world described in Year 50 makes a lot of sense and the important characters are well developed and three-dimensional. I thought the fights were particularly well done in this novel, fast paced and exciting.
Aier
Aug 24, 2013 Aier rated it really liked it
Shelves: liked
Interesting exploration of plausible post-apocalypse society and culture with strong female leads and a nice twist on zombification. Can be a little redundant and dialogue feels very unnatural. Some weird choices toward the end with shifts from 3rd person present to 2nd and 1st person point of views. No real closure, very obviously the first in a series.
Connie Cassidy
Nov 01, 2013 Connie Cassidy rated it really liked it
Once got accustomed to author's way of writing, enjoyed book tremendously. NOT a "typical" zombie novel, won't spoil it. Believe it is well worth borrowing ( or buying!). I am presently reading the second novel in the series, "Year 51."
Tobyann Aparisi
Feb 16, 2013 Tobyann Aparisi rated it liked it
Recommends it for: zombie, apocolyptic reading
Recommended to Tobyann by: bookbub
This was fast paced and written well, the characters were likable the story......different. I am getting kind of burned out on the whole zombie thing right now so......yeah it was good. BUT...it was good, that is all I will say.
Greg
Nov 06, 2013 Greg rated it really liked it
An interesting take on the whole post-apocalypse, alien take over, zombie tale. Usual theme though in that humans are our worst enemy...
Cyndi
Aug 08, 2013 Cyndi rated it did not like it
Didn't even finish this one. Felt like it wanted to be Hunger Games with zombies. Could not get into it at all.
Robert Witt
Dec 17, 2014 Robert Witt rated it liked it
Ponderous detail

Tiring repeat of future disaster societies brought with too much attention centered on battle detail without much character development.
End

Mike Vasich
Feb 28, 2013 Mike Vasich marked it as gave-up
Nothing exactly bad or not worth reading if you like post apocalypse stuff, it just wasn't my cup of tea.
Richard Ellis
Richard Ellis rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2012
John Stephens
John Stephens rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Tami
Tami rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2013
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2015
Melanie Lee
Melanie Lee rated it did not like it
Jan 13, 2014
Jess
Jess rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2012
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
May 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Dust
  • Cages (Cages, #1)
  • Harbinger (Sodium, #1)
  • Year of the Dead
  • Onslaught (Last Hope #1)
  • The Fall (The God Slayers Quartet #1)
  • A Father's Quest (What Zombies Fear, #1)
  • Birth of an Empire: The Beginning (Xarrok Series, #1)
  • Mort
  • Eaters: The Beginning
  • The Reckoning (The Marenon Chronicles, #3)
  • The Judas Syndrome (The Judas Syndrome, #1)
  • Riser (The Riser Saga, #1)
  • The Man Who Ended the World
  • Timecaster
  • Eden
  • Fairytale on Fifth Avenue (short stories)
  • Tankbread (Tankbread, #1)

Pantheon Obsolescent (3 books)
  • Year 51 (Pantheon Obsolescent, #2)
  • Year 52 (Pantheon Obsolescent Series Book 3)