Start by marking “Your Baby's First Year” as Want to Read:
Your Baby's First Year

Your Baby's First Year

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  365 ratings  ·  49 reviews

THE ONE GUIDE MOST PEDIATRICIANS RECOMMEND

From the American Academy of Pediatrics—the nation’s most trusted name in child care—Your Baby’s First Year is the definitive all-in-one guide to caring for your infant. Revised and updated, including two new chapters on sleep and allergies, Your Baby’s First Year provides authoritative advice on all aspects of infant care, includi
Mass Market Paperback, Second Edition, 720 pages
Published May 25th 2010 by Bantam (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Your Baby's First Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Baby's First Year

Emily
Aug 21, 2009 Emily rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: new parents
This book was fairly decent (reading it as a new mother). It offered a lot of good information in an easy to read and understand format. One of the best aspects to this book compared to other "first year" books is the explanation of baby's cognitive and emotional development. I loved that persepective and appreciated the tips it offered on encouraging baby's growth in those areas.

I didn't like the format in which they divide the first year. The book is grouped into the first month, months 2-4,
Nicole
My pediatrician gave me this book when my daughter was born last year. I didn't actually read this book from cover to cover but read the sections pertaining to my daughter's growth and development at any given time or when I had questions on something. It's divided into age groups and then other sections for first aid/emergencies, body systems such as respiratory, vision, etc. Most things are dealt with very basically, not a lot of detail, which isn't necessarily a bad thing so as not to overwhe ...more
Esmeralda
The reason for a low rating is due to the lack of integrity in the sections entitled "Where We Stand" on certain issues. The American Academy of Pediatrics uses "aesthetics" as a factor when making a decision on circumcision. It is disheartening when pediatricians sound like plastic surgeons. Also an insistance that normal delivery require 48 hours inside the hospital before discharge does not make sense. Most other books recommend that children don't watch T.V. until three years of age. Here th ...more
Ericka Clou
This is my favorite baby book. It has the most recent scientific information and no time-wasting personal stories. The first half the book covers pregnancy through the baby's first of year of life. You can either read it all in advance or as the baby grows (though you may not have as much time to do the latter). The second half of the book is not as well organized because it mixes in some sections you should read in advance (like baby-proofing and safety) with other sections that are mostly ther ...more
jacky
I'm skipping around in this. As much as I made fun of the cutesy style of the What to Expect ... books, I'm finding this book cold. Its like reading directions for building a bookshelf. Also, I've heard it said that the What to Expect ... books are alarmist; well, I'm finding this book that way so far. It is also lacking on the information I want to know. I'm only continue to look through it because at the moment its the only book I have on after the baby is born. I'm hoping to receive What to ...more
Doreen
I'll admit that I haven't read the entire book, but am digesting it part by relevant part. For a brief primer on what to expect with my newborn, it's been pretty fantastic, though, as with every other manual on the subject, it hedges its bets by only occasionally giving firm guidelines for what's "normal" (which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm just a jumpy new mom, is all.) It'll definitely be my go-to guide (it helps that it was given to us free by our pediatrician) for the next year, and wi ...more
Lena
Was not very impressed with this one. There's some good information here but it's very poorly organized and very very hard to use as a reference, since it's nearly impossible to hunt down a particular topic. The growth chart in the back is so poorly printed as to be utterly unusable. And the useful information is everywhere diluted by long preachy blurbs on the safety practices espoused by the APA. It's more a manual of APA official recommendations than actually useful baby-care info.
Jason
Jun 28, 2009 Jason rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents
Recommended to Jason by: pediatrician
Best baby book I have read yet. We got this from our pediatrician. I started reading it right away. It has great detail on ages 0 - 6 months, then strangely lumps months 6-12 together. Would have liked the same detail in those months as the first 6. The last third of the book is all the depressing diseases and illnesses that babies get. Good book to keep as a resource if any of those things should happen. *knocks on wood*.
Khinna
My mother purchase this in a thrift store, and I was skeptical that it would not be updated. However, the book is very in depth, provides great, easy-to-process information and pretty much has answered any questions I've had so far. It written informatively but not preachy and gives you what you want to know without giving too much or too little info. I think this should be a staple purchase for any new parent.
Wildoaksfarm
Well, I thought I had better bone up on baby care, so this is the book I picked! So far, so good...it has tons of information and is very helpful. I plan on reading at least about baby's first few months and keeping this on hand for a reference for the future, as it is full of good stuff.

I would not say it's the most exciting thing I have ever read...but probably one of the most important.
Molly
A fine overview, though there are a lot of conditionals--a lot of "never" and "always" and leans toward the traditional without exploring. This came free in a bag of coupons and magazines our hospital gives out at prenatal classes, so I'm content to read and pass on to another new parent. Nice for surface reference--meant for the parent who might not keep the nightstand weighted with parenting books.
Melissa
Sep 19, 2008 Melissa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone with a newborn
Recommended to Melissa by: Dr. Albert Gordon
This book was given to me by my son's pediatrician. Since he has been born, I have been reading this and looking up any issues we've had as we go along. I don't necessarily like the way this book is organized and indexed, but it has a lot of information and while they strongly recommend some things, they don't tell you that you have to do them.
Karl Goodwin
Good, thorough book about your babies first year. Although this is written by hundreds of doctors and therefore they all have to agree on everything to sign their names to it. That means you should follow most of it, but realize that each child is unique and so is the way you raise your child.
Jodi
I found this to be a very helpful guide to my baby's first year. It includes interesting information on development, physical, and emotional milestones by age. There is also an overwhelming about of medical information that I did not find a need to read much of.
Alissa
Apr 03, 2012 Alissa added it
Recommends it for: new parents, parents-to-be
Shelves: parenting
I have been referencing this book as needed. I received a copy as a gift, and there is a copy in the Mother's Room at work, so I have been reading this one constantly. It has relevant guidance for development, it has been very helpful as my son has gotten older.
Valerie
Excellent book. Very informative and in a concise presentation (in comparison to " what to expect in the first year" book). I'll consult it many times I'm sure when baby is here. Can't wait! ( about the baby not really about having to refer to the book!)
Angelica Stevenson
My friend gave me this book too along with the other book Your Baby's First Year week by week, and I opted for that one more than this one because of the way it was formatted, it was bigger, interested me a lot more, and the small print turned me off too..
Betsy
I didn't read every word, but I have read the sections on age-dependent activities and development. As a new mom, I really appreciated the detailed descriptions of how best to take care of a baby. I have consulted this book regularly as a reference.
Jaclyn Harrison
It's nice to have a book from the American Academy of Pediatrics, but I prefer What to Expect the First Year because there is a separate chapter for each month and it is a quicker read (a necessity when you have a little one running around).
Racquel
Mercedes Cordero
Jul 16, 2010 Mercedes Cordero rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: First time moms
Recommended to Mercedes by: Rosita
Very, very informative, right on target. Answers most of the questions I've had during this first year of my son, about development, sleeping patterns, milestones, breastfeeding, feeding, among many other things. Very good.
Tammy Sadorus
This book was decent - basic, but decent. It doesn't go into much detail on its subjects but its a good book to get general information out of. I found it useful for bouncing off other information found in other books.
Courtney
I expected just a dry reference manual, which this book mostly is, but it also contains a heartwarming section on the (intangible) gifts of parenthood. Boosted my spirits on a sleep-deprived day.
Cindy
Good information I guess, but the style is kind of like 600 pages of things NOT to do or else your baby might die, which just made me anxious. I liked the "Heading Home..." book much better.
Matt
I read it straight through, which was kinda tough as it is very repetitive. I am sure I will refer back to as a reference because there is good info in it and it is quite comprehensive.
Kristin
I'm reading as appropriate for my son's age. It's helpful to know what developmental milestones are coming up and what I can do to help. Recommended and given to me by a pediatrician.
Erin
solid information. I like keeping it by my bed to reference monthly advances of my little guy. I would recommend it to any new mom because it is easy to read and very straightforward.
Very helpful information, especially parts about baby's cognitive development each month and how to encourage it. Good reference source which I'm sure to refer to.
A good overview and reference on all things (especially medical) that a parent will face in his/her child's first year of life. I've often turned ot it as a reference.
Mandy
As with all baby books, you can't believe everything they say since things change so often. This was a basic review for me to prepare for my 2nd baby.
  • Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality
  • Your Pregnancy & Birth
  • Baby 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for Your Baby's First Year
  • Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
  • Your Baby's First Year: Week By Week (Your Pregnancy Series)
  • The Girlfriends' Guide to Surviving the First Year of Motherhood
  • The Baby Name Wizard: A Magical Method for Finding the Perfect Name for Your Baby
  • Feeding Baby Green: The Earth Friendly Program for Healthy, Safe Nutrition During Pregnancy, Childhood, and Beyond
  • Becoming the Parent You Want To Be
  • The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk
  • Mayo Clinic Guide to Your Baby's First Year: From Doctors Who Are Parents, Too!
  • Infant Massage: A Handbook for Loving Parents
  • What's Going on in There?: How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life
  • Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn, Revised and Updated: The Complete Guide
  • The Baby Sleep Book: The Complete Guide to a Good Night's Rest for the Whole Family
  • What to Expect the First Year (What to Expect)
  • Baby Play: 100 Fun-Filled Activities to Maximize Your Baby's Potential
  • The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer
Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5 Textbook of Neonatal Resuscitation The American Academy of Pediatrics Guide to Toilet Training The Wonder Years: Helping Your Baby and Young Child Successfully Negotiate The Major Developmental Milestones ADHD: What Every Parent Needs to Know