My Bonus Mom!: Taking the Step Out of Stepmom

My Bonus Mom!: Taking the Step Out of Stepmom

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  9 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In rhythmic verse, My Bonus Mom!, shows children of divorced families that a positive attitude can lead to a happy outcome and springs open their hearts and minds to accept their own bonus moms. It captures the mixed emotions that surge through young children as they deal with divorce and adjust to remarriage. The children work through their feelings of dismay, fear and an...more
Published August 15th 2011 by Little Five Star

Lenore Webb
In sharing that love I have been blessed to have the children that were born to my husband and his previous wives. When I first met the two oldest as teens, I knew I would never be their mother. That at best I would one day get to be a friend to them and someone they could trust to share with. I hated the view of step moms but I decided to use just that to break the ice with them. So I told them they did not need to call me mom or even my own name but instead to just call me Step Monster. They l...more
Kristi Bernard
Divorce is difficult for parents and especially the kids. The children involved don't always understand and will put the blame on themselves. The best solution for this problem is to sit down with your kids and talk to them. Help them understand that they are not the problem. If you need a little visual help, introduce your young children to “My Bonus Mom”.

Not all stepparents are bad. Tami Butcher helps parents and children communicate their feelings with this wonderfully illustrated book. The c...more
Underground Book Reviews
Since the earliest days of storytelling, fairy tales have provided readers with wonderful characters and enchanting settings that capture both young and old hearts. But while they are wonderfully creative, fairy tales have also cast a pall over the concept of what it means to be a “stepmother”. That is why Tami Butcher’s My Bonus Mom: Taking the Step out of Stepmom is so refreshing. It attacks this stereotype head on and debunks the myth that all stepmothers must be cruel.

I highly recommend this...more
Wendy
I was looking for a book to read to my bonus kids to help them understand what a stepfamily is. This wasn't quite the situation we are in so it wasn't very helpful for me. I do think it is a great book and step moms could really benefit from using this book. Focuses on divorce and the introduction to a step mom.
Marie Slim
Great book! Knocked off one star for continuing the "helpless in the kitchen" dad stereotype. But the rest is rad!
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Lillie
Lillie marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2013
Hilda
Hilda marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2013
Stacy Kelley
Stacy Kelley marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Amy Elizabeth
Amy Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2013
Janine
Janine marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2013
Miranda
Miranda marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2012