Start by marking “Outcast” as Want to Read:
Outcast

Outcast

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  384 ratings  ·  34 reviews
When a Roman ship is wrecked off the coast of Britain, an infant, Beric, is the only survivor. He is rescued by a British tribe who raise him as their own until they can no longer ignore his Roman ancestry.

Published October 30th 1995 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Outcast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outcast

Jennifer Freitag
Beric was not born to be drowned. In the wake of a severe storm, he is found by a tribesman washed up on the shore, clasped between his two dead parents. His own child having just recently died, the tribesman takes young Roman Beric back to his wife and he becomes their son. But just as he was not born to be drowned, young Beric was not born to be a tribesman. Though loving and obedient to his foster-parents’ ways, the tribesmen are uneasy with a Roman in their midst, and the day comes when they ...more
Nikki
This didn't pull together the way I expected at all. I expected Lucilla to have a bigger part to play, and for Beric to find out about his real parents somehow, and... just for him to find a neat space just made for him where he would belong. But it's better the way Sutcliff wrote it, of course, with Beric struggling so much and eventually, and with difficulty, finding a place to belong. Not a place that's been waiting for him, but a place he's made for himself.

I found it a difficult read, at fi
After a fantastic start this was strangely anticlimactic, verging on quite boring by the end. I couldn't understand it. I think the fact that there was a total of 2 female characters in the entire book might've had something to do with it - so boring.
I was a bit confused that Beric didn't seem to care much when he found out he was Titus's son, even though he spent most of the book obsessing about feeling like an 'outcast' in every society because he knew nothing about his real parents. And why
Isis
A Series of Unfortunate Events, basically: infant Beric washes up on the Cornish shore, and after that anything that is good that happens to him is only so that he can be hurt more when it's torn away from him. But if you're into beautifully written, lovingly detailed whumpage, this is the book for you. The storms are magnificent, the characters are interesting, and poor Beric really gets whumped.

I tend to prefer the BFF-type of Sutcliff book, and obviously (duh theme) there is no BFF here for
Sineala
This one definitely isn't going to be my favorite Sutcliff book, but it's an interesting read nonetheless. (And, hey, the ebook even has illustrations!)

It's the story of Beric, a shipwrecked Roman infant raised in a British tribe, later cast out, sold into slavery, sentenced into even worse slavery, and the list goes on from there. Approximately three-quarters of the book is an unending stream of Beric's miserable life, occasionally broken by the usual Sutcliff nature descriptions and brief glim
Rachel Brown
Solid historical about a baby washed ashore from a shipwreck and raised by a British tribe; they eventually exile him, whereupon he goes to Roman-ruled Britain, gets enslaved, and eventually ends up on a slave galley. The depiction of the galley ship is horrific and vivid, and the section after that, which I won't spoil, is quite moving. But I didn't like this as much as I did some of Sutcliff's others. The protagonist was a bit too everyman for my taste.
Alison C
In Outcast, by Rosemary Sutcliff, Beric is adopted by a Celtic tribe in Britain after he is found alive following the wreck of the Roman ship in which his parents were traveling with the infant boy. He is raised by the tribe until the age of 16, when bad harvests and other calamities befall the tribe; they blame the "foreigner" in their midst and he is cast out of the group and thereafter must find his way in the world alone. Having been captured by slavers, he next finds himself in Rome, and hi ...more
Rachel
Not the best Sutcliff, in my opinion. The storyline wasn't as strong as some of the others, though the commentary on Roman slavery was quite strong.
KarenLana
I don't have the words to do this book justice. It is a truly incredible story and I am now a fan for life of Rosemary Sutcliff.
Gale
SHACKLED BY HIS TRAGIC PAST--SHUNNED BY ANCIENT SOCIETY

Culture-clash in Roman Britain is presented in an unbiased manner for both Celts (or Picts, judging from the facial tattoes) and Romans in this interesting YA novel. Sutcliff's predilection for ancient times and primitive civilizations results in a gripping plot of teenage identity crisis, while presenting precise historical detail about Roman culturesuperimposed upon the Celts in a way that does not impede enjoyment. Instruction and Enligh
Brian
Lori
Read this one with my 10-yr-old son. Sutcliff is an excellent author who is a talented wordsmith and does an amazing job with imagery. Even though her books are classified as for children or "young adult" I know of very few well-educated adults who would not find at least a few challenging vocabulary words in her writing. That is not to say at that her writing is at all inaccessible to younger readers, but the literary quality of her work is of a very high standard - one not often seen in most o ...more
Ariana
This author. I can't do her justice.

The meaning of a relationship. That's where she excels. In Outcast there isn't even a romantic relationship. But Beric, the main character, has a binding friendship (friendship isn't enough of a word!) with Jason, his oarmate. And she weaves the relationship that they have in about a chapter!

Rosemary Sutcliff is my favorite author, and this is one of the more touching books of hers that I have read. I completely recommend it.
Mckinley
Interesting story that moves along at a good pace.
Emma Belle
I couldn't even finish this. This book is SO boring that after 1/2 a chapter I would fall asleep...like seriously. WIsh me luck on the assignment I have to do on it lol
Simon
Beric is a survivor. As a baby he survived a shipwreck and was adopted by a local family. When he is outcast from his clan, he is kidnapped and sold into slavery. He survives hardship and more calamity. At the close of the novel, Beric finds freedom and a sense of belonging. Yet for this reader, the closure seemed somewhat forced. The hero of the story is more a survivor than a champion. I expected something more. Nonetheless, the story is well-written and kept my attention to the end.
Flabnbone
This book made me teary. For some reason, when he got kicked out of his village, I almost felt his emotion and sadness. Then later on, when he has to work on the boat and watch his friend die right in front of his eyes, I felt so sorry for him. This book explores: self identity and what it means to belong. It was a good read.
Carolyn
To be fair, I did not finish this book. I am leaving it on my shelves, in the hope I can get it on audio at some point. I have tried to read RS before and I really struggle with her style. When I picked this up, I thought he was a Viking. I should have remembered that RS was really likes the Romans.
Maureen E
One more down in my ongoing quest to read all the Sutcliff books ever! (If you think I’m kidding.) This is a nice one–Bran is part of a Celtic tribe in Romano-Britain. But he was found in the wreck of a Roman ship and so he is never more than tolerated. In the end, it’s a story about finding your home.
Karen
Sep 07, 2008 Karen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 5th grade and older
Recommended to Karen by: Well Trained Mind by Jessie Wise and Susan Wise Bauer
Shelves: classics, education
I love historical fiction and Rosemary Sutcliff does a superb job! In one fictional story she was able to bring many facets of the Roman daily life and Brittish Tribal life to view - neither of which I was familiar with. Rosemary Sutcliff is brilliant! If you like historical fiction you will like these.
Melissa
Trying to read my way through Rosemary Sutcliff's entire catalog. This one didn't hurt as bad as The Mark of the Horse Lord, or Song for a Dark Queen, but I don't think it was meant to. Much more uplifting even though the entire book details hard times in Beric's life.
Cooper Renner
Another of Sutcliffe's fine looks at life in Roman Britain. I have used an abridged version of this book with junior high English classes. While they couldn't have handled the full-length version, the abridgement entralled them.
booklady
May 07, 2008 booklady rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young people--of ALL ages!
Recommended to booklady by: the Common Reader
Read from 8-9 March 2005. Although not as good as Eagle of the Ninth, it didn't have to be, I was hooked! Rosemary Sutcliff writes great historical fiction. Can't think of a better way to get kids to learn history!
Darren
It was a little confusing to follow because in the beginning Beric was having a good time and then he got on a ship and fell unconscious. After that it jumps way ahead with him as a slave. It was still good.
Jenny
I read this years ago & though the overall story was a good one, it was boring & tedious for me. Maybe it was just me at the time, though.
K. M. Updike
Loved reading about the Celtic clans and the Romans. But poor, poor Beric. Such a depressing life! Justinious is my favorite.
Helen
This was not one of my favorites but still very good. I thought the character development was very good.
Angelyn
One of my favorite children's authors. She was an expert on Roman Britain. History come alive.
Abby
One of the worst books I have ever read....... I would not read another Rosemary Sutcliff book.
Jen
I did not enjoy this book very much. There was a lot of hardships. It was very sad.
Rosemary Sutcliff...: "Outcast" Discussion 18 11 Dec 01, 2012 10:25PM
  • The Ides of April (Roman Empire Sequence, #2)
  • The Ramsay Scallop
  • Otto of the Silver Hand
  • The Last Crusader: A Novel about Don Juan of Austria
  • The Great Plague: The Diary of Alice Paynton, London, 1665-1666
  • Son of Charlemagne
  • Shadow Hawk (Vintage Ace, 75991)
  • Canterbury Tales
  • Beorn the Proud
  • Serpent Never Sleeps
  • The Golden Goblet
  • Theras and His Town
  • The Sunbird (The Lion Hunters, #3)
  • The Ravenmaster's Secret: Escape From The Tower Of London
Rosemary Sutcliff was a British novelist, best known as a writer of highly acclaimed historical fiction. Although primarily a children's author, the quality and depth of her writing also appeals to adults, she herself once commenting that she wrote "for children of all ages from nine to ninety."

Born in West Clandon, Surrey, Sutcliff spent her early youth in Malta and other naval bases where her fa
More about Rosemary Sutcliff...
The Eagle of the Ninth The Lantern Bearers Black Ships Before Troy The Silver Branch Sword at Sunset