Hidden Journey: A Spiritual Awakening

Hidden Journey: A Spiritual Awakening

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Destined to become a classic of spiritual autobiography, Hidden Journey is a candid and beautifully written account of a rational atheist's spiritual transformation in the face of an unexpected encounter with Mother Meera, an 18-year old Indian woman, seen as the embodiment of the Divine Mother.
Published April 1st 1992 by Penguin Books (first published April 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Hidden Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden Journey

Jean S
It's very hard to write about direct experience of the divine and the mystical without sounding like a madman. The things that the author reports happening to him through his relationship with the Indian avatar, Mother Meera, such as visual and auditory hallucinations, clairvoyance, and mystical union with all of creation are all pretty much standard issue for people achieving enlightenment in the Eastern tradition, and have been written about for centuries; but in the West, somebody lying on th...more
Brimate
Dec 25, 2007 Brimate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: spiritual seekers, goddess worshippers
another book i read at the right time in my life. this i read when i was getting into Devi, the goddess(es) in Hinduism. now my interests have changed, and i'm not that into religion anymore, so i probably wouldn't enjoy it as much. but the book is well written, honest, and a good story. also there's beautiful descriptions of scenery in India.

it's interesting to note that the guru (Mother Meera) whom Harvey worships in this book, Harvey later turned against.
Sarah O'Flaherty
Interesting to start off with but ends up very repetitive.
Anna Brown
I recently saw Andrew Harvey on Youtube doing his Spiritual Activism series and was excited by the concept and his passion for all of us participating in this movement. Hidden Journey is the story of his open journey finding his spiritual path and the relationship he developed with Mother Meera. It's an old book but important I think, if one wants to understand Harvey's current work.
George Ilsley
Fascinating and literally incredible. Illustrates how those who have a spiritual awakening can have difficulty navigating in the mundane world -- talking to friends, or trying to go somewhere on the Metro. From another writer, I would have dismissed much of this book as bogus. From Andrew Harvey, however, this account comes with an aura of sincerity.
Michelle Cavalier
My therapist gave me this book because I do not believe in avatars. I remember being very intrigued by Meera but maintaining my belief that she was a human and not a deity.
Valerie
Valerie is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2014
Dee
Dee marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Mihir Saran
Mihir Saran marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Brianne
Brianne marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Fiona
Fiona marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Hans Mortensen
Hans Mortensen marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Merja
Merja added it
Dec 05, 2013
Swapna
Swapna marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Faythe Swanson
Faythe Swanson marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Sarah Watson
Sarah Watson marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Andrew Harvey is an author, religious scholar and teacher of mystic traditions, known primarily for his popular nonfiction books on spiritual or mystical themes, beginning with his 1983 A Journey in Ladakh.

From Wikipeadia
More about Andrew Harvey...
A Journey in Ladakh: Encounters with Buddhism The Essential Mystics: Selections from the World's Great Wisdom Traditions The Hope: A Guide to Sacred Activism Son of Man The Direct Path: Creating a Personal Journey to the Divine Using the World's Spirtual Traditions