Start by marking “The Green Eagle Score (Parker, #10)” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Green Eagle Score

Richard Stark

The Green Eagle Score (Parker #10)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  605 ratings  ·  60 reviews

Here’s Parker—planning to steal the entire payroll of an Air Force base in upstate New York, with help from Marty Fusco, fresh out of the pen, and a smart aleck finance clerk named Devers. Holed up with family in a scrappy little town, the hoisters prepare for the risky job by trying to shorten the odds. But the ice is thinner than Parker likes to think—and Marty’s ex-wife

Unknown Binding, 185 pages
Published May 1st 2011 by Not Avail (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The Green Eagle Score, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Green Eagle Score

brian
anyone out there like magic? well, i do. and i'm gonna do a magic trick for your pleasure. watch how i turn david's examples of why stark is a bad writer (from his review of the score) into proof that stark is, in fact, a very good writer. here's davey-boy:

Richard Stark—at least in The Score—is not really what I would call a very good writer. And Richard Stark's editor is not what I would call a very good editor. Witness this passage:

"The prowl car was a Ford, two years old, painted light green
Dan Schwent
Marty Fusco convinces Parker to plan a job robbing an air force base of its payroll. Fusco's ex-wife's current beau is the inside man. Things seem to go smoothly, until the ex-wife starts telling the details of the plan to her psychiatrist...

The Green Eagle Score, no idea why it's called that, is another entry in the highly enjoyable Parker series. This one strays from the usual Parker mold and takes the route of The Seventh. The job goes smoothly but the split doesn't go right. It makes for an
Kemper
No money is safe when Parker is around. Not even if it belongs to the U.S. military.

Parker is lounging at a resort in Puerto Rico with his new gal pal, Claire, when he is approached by another professional thief named Marty Fusco who just got out of prison. Fusco wants to bring Parker in to plan a job stealing the cash payroll from an Air Force base. While Parker initially dismisses the idea of stealing the pay of 5000 armed men, he agrees to go to New York state and check out the set-up. The si
Tfitoby
Parker the Ultimate Stealing Machine is at it again, this time it's the fabled Monnequois Military Base heist that his pal Grofield walked away from at the start of the spin off novel Lemons Never Lie. A fun little connection that speaks volumes for how much fun Westlake must have had writing this character and world.

If you read more than a few Parker novels you pick up on the general theme of these things; Parker is a planner, cold, thorough, meticulous, he cares only for the professionalism of
Greg
In this Parker novel he joins up with some other crooks to rob an Upstate New York Air Force base of it's payroll cash. I'd never heard of the AFB before, and I don't think there is another one besides Plattsburgh anywhere near the real towns mentioned in the book, so I'm going to believe that the book takes place in the shitty town where I went to college! Near the end of the book Parker drives into downtown Saratoga Springs and ditches a car there in front of a parking meter. I don't think Sar ...more
Krycek
Marty Fusco just got out of the clink and here he is cooking up another heist. Well, birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, and Fusco's thinking this deal is pretty sweet. His neurotic ex-wife has gotten cozy with a young airman named Devers who works in the finance office of the USAF base where he's posted. Fusco and Devers think they can lift the entire base's payroll for the month, at least four hundred thousand dollars. But they need a guy that can work out all the angles and run things. This is ...more
James Thane
This is another of the early books in Richard Stark's Parker series. Parker decides to take a break from a vacation in Puerto Rico to join a gang that intends to rob the payroll of an Air Force base in upstate New York. (The book was written in 1967. There's no such thing as direct deposit, so the Air Force trucks in $400,000 twice a month and pays everyone in cash.)

Parker designs a clever plan to steal the money, but the weak link (and in these books there is almost always a weak link) is the m
David
Following The Rare Coin Score, The Green Eagle Score is another no-frills Parker heist novel. There are minor variations to the formula--this time, for example, we aren't told the plan for the robbery until we see it enacted--but nothing remarkable that Stark hasn't shown us before. In terms of the larger series, The Green Eagle Score is perhaps most notable for the further development of Paker's character via his relationship with Claire, whom he met in The Rare Coin Score.

First reading: 2011 J
Jim
Another good Parker book. Not much more I can say without spoilers, but it's nice to see the quality staying high & the plot as twisty. I FINALLY got the 1st one from the library. I'll be listening to it next.
Jane Stewart
Not as good a some of the others in the series, but I still love the series.

Parker seemed out of character in this story because he allowed one of the wives to sit in on the planning sessions. Her husband was a key player, but the wife had no part in the heist. Of course that was the reason things went sour and it was predictable. This wasn’t the author’s best.

Most of the story was ok - planning and conducting the heist. The good part was at the end when things went wrong and Parker takes unexpe
Mark
I'm continuing my slow, savoring read of the "Parker" novels in publication order. It is tremendously entertaining to watch Westlake (Stark) play with the conventions of the heist novel: this one has a slow build-up detailing the work, and risks, of picking the right team for a crazy gamble: robbing an Air Force base. Oddly, the book's title is never mentioned in the novel--let me know if you have any idea what it refers to!
Mohammed
Not near the best book of the 10 Parker books i have read but still an enjoyable story. Parker,the other characters was great,the prose was quality as usual. Only the heist story was lacking a little this time.

Ed
#10 in the Parker series from late Grandmaster Donald E. Westlake, writing as Richard Stark. Parker is a hard-boiled heist artist. As such, he occupies what may be a unique niche in crime fiction. There are any number of humorous novels featuring criminals, and there are a number of series featuring confidence men and even hit men. Caper novels (Topkapi, Ocean's Eleven) tend to be one-offs. Parker is a serial criminal - 24 novels in the series, logical, deadly, and intelligent. This entry sticks ...more
Steve Isaak
Green is another lean, machine-precise and entertaining entry in the Parker series. This time out, the spanner in the works is one of Parker's crew members' ex-wives (Ellen Fusco) and her psychiatrist (Fred Godden) who provide the spanner elements in Parker's otherwise clockwork endeavors. Great, burn-through read, followed by The Black Ice Score.

(This review originally appeared on the Reading & Writing By Pub Light site.)
Alex Gherzo
Marc Weidenbaum
How big a fan of this Parker series of novals am I? Wrong question.

How addicted to this Parker series am I? Try this: When I finally reached the first double digit Parker novel, the first copy I found of The Green Eagle Score, the 10th book in the series, was via inter-library loan. No local library had it, nor did any local bookstore. And when it showed up -- it did so in "large print" edition.

I was finishing up an Elmore Leonard book, and some non-fiction books for work, when it arrived, and
Aaron Schmidt
Easily one of the best novels in the series thus far. I've enjoyed the character exploration that has become more frequent as the series goes on, and since one of the central characters is a psychiatrist in 'The Green Eagle Score,' more time is spent on the inner workings of the players. The interplay of the recent novels and the previous novels shows just how well-crafted Westlake's characters are, and I've especially enjoyed getting to know Parker better. Or, more accurately, getting to know m ...more
John Hood
Bound: A Six Pack of Kickass

A Half Dozen More Heist Books from Richard Stark

SunPost Weekly August 5, 2010 | John Hood

Gotta luv the folks at University of Chicago Press. Not only have they decided to bring back Richard Stark’s belovedly badass Parker novels, but they’ve been doing so in sequence, with a niftily packed series that smacks back to the ’60s beginning and — Zeus-willing — won’t let up till its 21st century end.

The beginning, for those few who don’t know, was The H
Debbie J
The Green Eagle Score contains the most implausible plot of the Parker books I've experienced to date.

Published in 1967, the book is the product of a time which preceded today’s enhanced homeland security practices by nearly forty years. However, during the mid-60s the Cold War was going strong and random men couldn’t simply enter and exit a military installation, regardless of the remoteness of its location.

Nonetheless, this Parker series entry finds the über bandit opting to insert himself in
Tim Niland
Master thief and anti-hero Parker is lounging on the beach in Puerto Rico, when a man comes to him with an interesting proposition. The heist would be one of Parker's most audacious - stealing the entire cash payroll from a large military base in upstate New York. They've got an inside man who can give them the layout and the lowdown, so Parker goes to work crafting an ingenious plan to get them onto the base and into the money. But all the while, the ex-wife of one of the thieves has been leaki ...more
Aaron Martz
This one, like The Score, has an outlandish set-up - Parker and his gang robbing an Air Force base of its payroll - but like The Score, the robbery is the least successful section. Another snare this time around is that we can see the double cross coming a mile off. What saves the book is the twisting turning fourth part where the double crosser is also double crossed, and Parker and his dwindling gang have to play catch up with the cops already on their tail.
zackxdig
Not my favorite out of the books that I have read. But maybe it's because of how long I took to finish it. Unlike the previous ones that I would burn through this didn't capture my attention as much. Still a sucker for the crime caper, even of it's about ripping off a military base. I think that it just took a minute getting to the actual heist.
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
Parker and his band of criminals steal the Air Force payroll. Everything went as planned until Parker met up with his partners whose job was to get the money off base--he found them dead and the money gone. Parker and his remanding partners left the base and returned to their hideout. When they learned who stole their money and how, they tracked them down.

The Green Eagle Score was well written with exciting characters and a page turner. What I liked about the story is that the crime was committ
Randy
The score this time is the bi-weekly payroll of an Air Force training base.It was brought to Parker by Fusco, a man who he'd worked with before. Having just gotten out of prison, he was broke and anxious and wanted Parker to work with an amateur. which he didn't care for.

In the past, amateurs had lead to problems. When you add that to the fact that the man was living with Fusco's ex-wife and it all made him hinky.

But as he looked it over, it seemed solid and a plan begins forming in his head. A
Ellroy
A strong entry. His usual crisp descriptions and characterizations. Interesting use of psychology as well. So good.
Yves
Out of the blue a job comes up for Parker and the perfect crime hits a snag. Entrancing books!
V.
The great thing about this series, other than the fantastic main character, is the new angles Westlake works in. Every books something different creeps in that he's never used before. Here, it's that one of the gang's girl is seeing a psychiatrist, telling him everything about the job. Wondering how her selling out Parker without even knowing she's doing it is going to play is a genius device that really works well.

The caper goes pear-shaped, as you'd expect, but the fallout is beautifully mana
Joel
Less action than usual in a Parker novel, but reads quickly.
John Defrog
The tenth book in the Parker series, in which Parker is called in on a plan to steal the payroll from an Air Force base. The hitch – and there always is one – is an uneasy love triangle between Marty Fusco (the pro who contacted Parker about the job), Stan Devers (the amateur inside man) and Ellen Fusco (Marty’s neurotic ex-wife, who is now shacking up with Devers). About halfway through Stark lets you know what’s coming, but still manages to put enough of a twist in it to keep you guessing how ...more
Zora
One of the weaker of the series.
  • The Vengeful Virgin (Hard Case Crime #30)
  • Lucky at Cards (Hard Case Crime #28)
  • Drowned Hopes (Dortmunder, #7)
  • A Touch of Death (Hard Case Crime #17)
  • Richard Stark’s Parker: The Score
  • Quarry in the Middle (Hard Case Crime, #61)
  • Fake I.D.
  • Slide (Max & Angela, #2)
  • Nothing More than Murder
  • Nightfall
The Hunter (Parker, #1) The Man With The Getaway Face (Parker, #2) The Outfit (Parker, #3) The Score (Parker, #5) The Mourner (Parker, #4)