Start by marking “The Bias of Communication” as Want to Read:
The Bias of Communication

Harold A. Innis

The Bias of Communication

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  5 reviews

One of the most influential books ever published in Canada, Harold A. Innis's The Bias of Communication has played a major part in reshaping our understanding of history, communication, and media theory. First published in 1951, this masterful collection of essays explores the relationship between a society's communication media and that community's ability to maintain con

Published April 23rd 1999 by University of Toronto Press (first published October 28th 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Bias of Communication, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bias of Communication

Szplug
Tough sledding at times—and if Innis hadn't passed away shortly after this book saw publication, I believe he would have further fleshed out his thoughts herein—but brimming with brilliance and relevance. Sad to say, I splayed another motherfucking shotgun blast of coffee all over page fifty-three—Monopolies of Knowledge, aye—at which point my shoulders drooped sufficient to chat with my knees and I could acutely visualize the noose dangling from the bedroom ceiling.
Guy
Changed my perception of the world, especially in regards to opening my eyes wide to how differently history can be 'read'. Agree or disagree with Innes's ideas, this will challenge what you think you know about how the 'truth' of not just history, but of a society's perception of itself in the here and now. A must read for those questioning the meaning of society.
George Walker
Innis was the teacher of Marshall McLuhan and you will begin to understand how McLuhan's ideas evelved by reading Innis. The notes for this book are available at the Fisher Rare book library here in Toronto. The Bias of Communication is considered one of the most influential books ever published in this country, this text played a major part in reshaping our understanding of history, communication, and media theory.
Uwmcdm
Evolution and Trends in Digital Media :: Winter 2011
John
nonfiction,criticism,communication
Gabriel
Gabriel marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Sheejon Anam
Sheejon Anam marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Qh Yu
Qh Yu marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Albian
Albian marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Thomas Coelho
Thomas Coelho marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Marigona
Marigona marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Matija
Matija marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Alisher Hasanov
Alisher Hasanov marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
cubicme
cubicme marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Kate O'Neill
Kate O'Neill is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Sranababargmail.com
Sranababargmail.com marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Nguyen Thi
Nguyen Thi marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Chris brown
Chris brown marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
James Larson
James Larson marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Empire and Communications The Fur Trade in Canada: An Introduction to Canadian Economic History Changing Concepts of Time The Idea File of Harold Adams Innis Staples, Markets, and Cultural Change: Selected Essays