Start by marking “Rainbow Valley” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Rainbow Valley

L.M. Montgomery

Rainbow Valley (Anne of Green Gables #7)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  28,337 Ratings  ·  697 Reviews
The Meredith kids join Anne's children in their private hideout to carry out their plans to save Mary from the orphange, to help the lonely minister find happiness, and to keep a pet rooster. There's a storm brewing in sunny world of Rainbow Valley.
Published (first published 1919)

To ask other readers questions about Rainbow Valley, please sign up.

Fionn technically it could be but its not its about the lives of the children who love and cherish rainbow valley its about there deep love for rainbow…moretechnically it could be but its not its about the lives of the children who love and cherish rainbow valley its about there deep love for rainbow valley and the story is focused on Anne's children the manse children and Mary Vance not rainbow valley its self but it does mention what each child thinks of rainbow valley and why the love it(less)

Elinor  Loredan
Mar 03, 2010 Elinor Loredan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, l-m-montgomery
The front cover is simply maddening! There are four girls, and Anne only has three, so one must be a Meredith. So which one??
The boy in the water is, I'm thinking, Shirley, and the tall one is Walter. The girl sitting is Diana.
If the girl in the blue dress holding the flowers is Rilla and the one holding the basket is Nan, or vice versa, then who is the second redhead? Rilla's hair is a softer red, and neither of the Meredith sisters has red hair.
Till my dying day I will be puzzling over this...
Lady
Nov 12, 2011 Lady rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, favorites
Like I always say, children are the best form of birth control. Even imaginative, sweet-natured children. Oh, lisping Rilla, being chased into the mud by a codfish-wielding Mary Vance... how I laughed uproariously over your plight, though I gathered from the soulful prose that I was meant to feel sorry for you.

Seven books in, and I can't stop wondering what Anne was like in bed. When one of her litter of six was born, L. M. Montgomery wrote of a stork depositing a bundle of baby at the Blythe re
Obsidian
I remember reading Rainbow Valley when I was a kid and enjoying it, but not loving it. I still have that same issue today.

This is technically the 7th book in the Anne of Green Gables series. However, it was the fifth book published. L.M. Montgomery went back later and wrote Anne of Windy Poplars and Anne of Ingleside. I think that is why I often felt as if Anne of Ingleside was more dark than the earlier books in the series.

This novel though it proclaims it is an Anne of Green Gable book really
A.
Jul 09, 2010 A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories of Anne of Green Gables manage to cast such a cheerful, lighthearted glow on the world. At first glance it almost seems too much, as if the characters are unbelievable because the world isn't so bright and good all the time. But L.M. Montgomery doesn't avoid writing about characters that suffer, she just refuses to dwell on the misery in life. Even characters such as Mary Vance, or Lida Marsh have a hopeful feel to them. It makes me feel like some of our authors today try too hard, s ...more
Laurence
Jul 21, 2015 Laurence rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LMM's stories are the absolute loveliest. I just adore her characters! This book is cute and funny and mostly light-hearted, which is exactly what I needed.
Naomi Sarah
Well that was stinking adorable. I loved it.

What I like:
1. All the Blythe children, but especially WALTER. I just love Walter to bunches and bits. I love when he fights despite not wanting to. And how he always dreams and thinks up whimsical things. He makes whimsies manly, Walter does. He's so sweet and I love him.
2. Una. SHE'S SO SWEET. The end.
3. Jem. Jem is a teenager now and he's so handsome and tall. Gah, these children.
4. I loved the beginning of this book, and just GAH. It's Montg
Rachel
I thoroughly loved this! It was funny and the characters were charming, particularly Norman and Ellen. I just LOVED their romance. I was horrified by the maltreatment of Mr Meredith's children, though. What started out funny quickly became full-blown neglect, and no one did a damn thing about it. Still, she's back on the side of poking fun at religion. Yay!

"Mr Wiley used to mention hell when he was alive. He was always telling folks to go there. I thought it was some place over in New Brunswick
Kristi
2.5 stars. This book follows the adventures of Anne and Gilbert Blythe's 6 children as they grow older and meet the mischievous Meredith clan. It generally focuses on the adventures of the children, with Anne appearing only in passing. The children's adventures are amusing, but the core of the book for me was really the would-be romance between Mr. Meredith and Rosemary West. If not for that, the book would have lacked a strong emotional foundation. Many of the Meredith children's woes and misad ...more
stephanieisabookworm
I actually ended up really really loving this installment. I think partly I love it because the children are the focus now--none of the indecision of the previous book, although there are of course digressions that focus a bit on Anne, and a few that focus on Mr. Meredith and the West sisters and a few other choice adults. I just LOVE the addition of the Meredith family to the Ingleside cast, and even though we really don't get to see their visits, it makes me deeply happy to know that the Blyth ...more
Castiron
Anne’s kids find new playmates. Overall, a bit better than Anne of Ingleside — the Blythe kids are more interesting in this book, and the Meredith children are a lot of fun. My one major gripe is Rev. John Meredith, the severely absent-minded minister father who supposedly loves his kids but who doesn’t notice their poor food and household conditions, and on the rare occasions where he wakes up enough to notice, he doesn’t do anything about it, until he finally gets married to a woman who’ll tak ...more
Janelle
I own a beautiful hardcover collection of all L M Montgomery's novels that my mother and grandmother bought me when I was about eight. It is one of my treasured possessions. So I have read Rainbow Valley more times than I can count. I recently enjoyed a Librivox narration and for the first time I was struck by how much of the story was focussed on the Meredith children bringing themselves up, and in particular their punishment club for when they failed to behave correctly.
Of course, I have alwa
Nancy Ellis
Jun 04, 2015 Nancy Ellis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is actually more of the story of a widowed pastor's children and a runaway, but Anne's children also play a part in it. More beautiful writing with characters to fall in love with and a setting which you wish you could jump into! There is an undercurrent of change running through the book. Even though it was finished shortly after World War I, it takes place before the war, but more than once a hint of what's to come is given which makes it all the more poignant. With only one more book lef ...more
Eva
Jun 23, 2014 Eva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. I love all the children (except Mary Vance) and how brave my darling Walter is and John and Rosemary's romance (it's my favorite 'side' romance in the whole series, I think). Almost everything about this book is sweetness and adorableness. <333333
Jillian
Oct 25, 2016 Jillian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Oh, THAT's who the Meredith children are! They are quite adorable. I love their little conduct club. John Meredith is also adorable. The story really picks up in the final third. <3
MC
Feb 02, 2014 MC rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To say that I was disappointed with Anne of Ingleside - the sixth book in the Anne Shirley series, by L. M. Montgomery - would be an understatement. My review of that book details why it is my least favorite book in the series that I've read to date. It was with this in mind that I read the seventh book, Rainbow Valley, with some apprehension. I was willing to give it a try, because I was told by some friends how it was MUCH better than the abysmal (to my view) Anne of Ingleside. I can honestly ...more
Maryanne
Jul 14, 2010 Maryanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
People complain that this book doesn't have enough about Anne or her family in it, but I've always kind of liked it anyway (maybe because I'm a fan of L.M. Montgomery's other books too, and not just the Anne series). Mostly, the book is about the Merediths, the children of an absent-minded widower minister. The Merediths are far more exciting characters than Anne's children (at least in this book - Rilla of Ingleside is my favorite and focuses more on Anne's brood) and I love the side story of R ...more
Lynn
Full review @ Smoke & Mirrors: http://books-n-music.blogspot.com/201.... As with the other Green Gables books, this one is also a pleasure!! Thank goodness Una steps in for her father and speaks with Rosemary on Mr. Meredith's behalf! If not...well...the world would have been much less happier overall, I feel certain! Bless those four siblings and their Good Conduct Club!! How sweet! Although they're rather tough on themselves! These children are adorable! And who couldn't just take Faith in ...more
Mary Bronson
I thought this was a pretty good book. I really enjoyed reading it. I thought the plot was well thought out. And I thought the characters were very well written. I enjoyed reading from the children's point of view and I like the add in of new characters. I can not wait to start reading the final book in the Anne of Green Gables series and then I can go on to other L.M Montgomery books.
Kirjaneito
Ei suosikkini Anna-sarjasta, mutta ihastuttava teos, niin kuin kaikki Montgomeryltä.
Rachel Maxwell
Oct 27, 2015 Rachel Maxwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to wallop Mary Vance and I wish there was more Anne. I miss my Anne Girl.
Molly
Jun 17, 2016 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rainbow Valley turned out to be completely adorable, and I loved reading it! It was lighthearted, innocent, funny, and overall just a beautiful little book.

The story focuses primarily on the Merediths, a new family in Glen St Mary, with the Blythes being more of secondary characters. All of the Meredith children--Jerry, Faith, Carl, and Una--were so cute and lovable, and their adventures and mishaps were all very entertaining.

I also loved all of the delightful nature descriptions which are so c
Rosalba
Dec 29, 2011 Rosalba rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lm-montgomery
It wasn't L.M. Montgomery's best, though still good. However, this book hardly mentioned Anne at all! And this is her series! The spotlight here was all on the Meredith children. They're fun, too, but I really wanted to know more about Anne's adventures. Or doesn't she have any anymore? And I wanted to know more about Leslie and Owen Ford and Davy and Dora and Diana and her children, but there was a bit too much Meredith children and not enough of that.
Allie
Jan 20, 2009 Allie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me, "Rainbow Valley" has always been the weak link in Montgomery's "Anne" books. It is more like a sequence of short stories rather than a cohesive whole, and I like her books better when there is a overall picture. Besides, I'm not fond of a few of the stories in this book. It's still L.M. Montgomery, and there's still Anne, but overall I'm not so crazy about it.
Ginger
Sep 26, 2015 Ginger rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sigh. One more to go.....

Leah really enjoys these, but I'm tired of them.
Tamsen
Apr 15, 2009 Tamsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, young-adult
Reread September 8, 2016.
Yasmin
Nov 10, 2016 Yasmin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sheer delight from beginning to end.
Mary Bronson
I thought this was a great book. I really enjoyed reading it. I adore each of the Anne of Green Gables books. I thought it was awesome how it is through her children's eyes now. I think each of her children has a different kind of personality of their own. This is a story of their time growing up in Anne's household and a special place called Rainbow Valley.
Alex Roma
May 10, 2016 Alex Roma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED the Meredith kids. As a sibling unit, I might like them slightly better than the Blythes, just because everyone's always so hard on them and they try so hard and have so much heart. It was honestly hard to choose a favorite (it was definitely between Faith and Una, it just alternated at different points in the book when one would do something and my heart would just SWELL). I loved their friendships with the Blythe kids and I loved the magic of Rainbow Valley. As someone who enjoyed her ...more
Savanna
Rainbow Valley is very similar to its predecessor, Anne of Ingleside, which is to say that it's very different from the first five books in the Anne series. I found that it also lacks much of the charm of the others, largely because the narrative drifts between several characters instead of focusing on Anne, the former protagonist. And although these characters are quite well-rounded, they nevertheless lack Anne's sparkle.

The novel leisurely meanders through everyday life, and while this works e
Melani
Rainbow Valley is the seventh Anne book and WWI marches ever closer, the mentions of the war are a lot stronger here then in previous books and Montgomery's foreshadowing was, occasionally, heavy handed. I'd forgotten how very little of the Blythe family is in this book, let alone Anne, instead it's mostly about the Merediths and their adventures and scrapes. However, despite those two complaints, I really do enjoy this one. In many ways, this book is a return to what Montgomery does best, simpl ...more
How can this be an Anne book... 3 33 May 09, 2014 03:34AM
Pizen? 2 18 Jan 24, 2014 10:00PM
Blythe book or Meredith book? 9 81 Dec 08, 2013 04:34PM
  • Betsy in Spite of Herself (Betsy-Tacy, #6)
  • Just Patty
  • Jo's Boys (Little Women, #3)
  • Clover (Carr Family, #4)
  • The Four-Story Mistake (The Melendy Family, #2)
  • Kłamczucha (Jeżycjada, #2)
  • These Happy Golden Years (Little House, #8)
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911
More about L.M. Montgomery...

Anne of Green Gables (10 books)
  • Before Green Gables
  • Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)
  • Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2)
  • Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3)
  • Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4)
  • Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5)
  • Anne of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #6)
  • Rilla of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #8)
  • Anne of Green Gables: Three Volumes in One

“It is never quite safe to think we have done with life. When we imagine we have finished our story fate has a trick of turning the page and showing us yet another chapter.” 24 likes
“Being frightened of things is worse than the things themselves.” 22 likes