Start by marking “Jezebel” as Want to Read:
Jezebel

Jezebel

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Set against the sweeping backdrop of the ancient Holy Land, Jezebel is a tale of love, loss and deceit - and one woman’s struggle to survive in a land filled with rivals plotting her downfall…

Her name is iconic. Her courage extraordinary. Her story remarkable.

Jezebel, a young princess of Tyre is destined to be married to King Ahab of Israel. Yet she is determined to rule h
Published January 1st 2012 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about Jezebel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jezebel

The Red Tent by Anita DiamantPearl in the Sand by Tessa AfsharHarvest of Rubies by Tessa AfsharThe Centurion's Wife by Davis BunnDelilah by Eleanor De Jong
Biblical Fiction
37th out of 124 books — 70 voters
The Red Tent by Anita DiamantThe Dovekeepers by Alice HoffmanHavah by Tosca LeeSarah by Marek HalterEve by Elissa Elliott
Best Biblical Heroines - Fiction
39th out of 40 books — 50 voters

More lists with this book...

Richard Abbott
I came to this story as it had been chosen for a book club I belong to. Since the subject matter is getting close to the period I like to write about (it is set only a few hundred years later, and in the same general region as `In a Milk and Honeyed Land`) I was unsure what I would think of it. I was acutely aware of the risk of judging it much more strictly than an equivalent book from another period.

In balance, for me, this was a four star book. The historical background had been looked into t
Liz
Meh. If you're going to take an infamous historical character and retell her story, you might want to make sure your character is a believable human being. While every other character is dynamic and flawed, Jezebel can do no wrong. Throughout her life, she is strong and good at the core while others eventually fall to flawed ideology or pride.

Reader beware: this is nothing like the historical Jezebel, but instead a creative perspective on what her life was like. Prophets are lecherous rebel-rous
Sonja
I loved this book. But, this book isn't for everybody, you got to want to read a story like this. If you're not into this type of books you better miss this one. I didn't know anything about Jezebel from the Bible,so I didn't have any idea how this character would be. From the beggining of the book the story got my attention, and I just couldn't stop reading it. It was beautifully written, I felt like I know the world Jezebel lived in. It was also an emotional ride,and the end really made me cry ...more
Hannah
Jezebel, a princess of Tyre is to marry King Ahab of Israel, but not before she has an affair with Jehu, a visiting prince, that leaves her pregnant with his child. As she moves to Israel, she finds herself at odds with their customs and their religion, whilst meanwhile trying to protect the identity of her son’s true father.

Compared to how she is depicted in the Bible, this rendition is much more in favour of Jezebel. Some of this is due to a liberal artistic licence and changing certain events
Ashish Jaituni
Jezebel - I loved reading the book. A much despised figure in the Bible. The author takes a sympathetic view of the queen and writes a nicely carved story which is probably absolutely fiction but the good point she makes is on the dangers of a fanatically driven state. The book reminds us that these dangers are very relevant in today's world. A very readable book.
Rachel Rick
I didn't enjoy this as much as I'd hoped; I was hoping for The Red Tent but this didn't match that. Entertaining but sometimes irritating
Jane
An insightful exploration into the young woman who was betrothed to seal alliances between the Judeans, the Israelites and the Phoenicians. The arrogance of two strong prophets, first Elijah and then Elisha, makes for an interesting contrast with the usually received perception of these renowned Biblical characters. Jezebel shows great strength as she negotiates the political complexities of ruling in this time.
Savannah Asztalos
Loved the book overall but I hated last part of the book. I was really upset with the author's decision though I'm sure it had to be done considering the historical contex. The ending was alright considering the last part. Overall a great book really enjoyed reading it :) I recommend it
Jimi-carol Benton
A really good book but I found it distressing how much it went against the bible. I should have known though that the book would favor Jezebel. I really hated that it made the prophets of God look so evil.
Anne-Marie
Really enjoyed this. Don't know enough about the history to know if its accurate but it was a good read and not overly heavy or descriptive which was just what i needed after my last book.
Justin Neville
Rating and review coming.

I know some of my Goodreads friends are currently reading this book or about to for our book group, so I won't prejudice their responses to it...
Nehal
umm...the book was so good that I wanna read it once again...been sometime and I've forgotten it..
but surely an awesome read!
Kathleen Wells
Awful book. Inconsistencies, and didnt have much to say. I cant even say if it is "historical" fiction.
Couldn't put this one down, but the artistic license based on historical events was quite liberal.
Kim Leach
Great book. Looking forward to seeing how biblically accurate it is.
Amy
1st read 2011
Shanna
NOT BIBLICAL ! Claims Elijah Tried TO RAPE HER ?Where does the author get her information ? She speaks eloquently about the useless demons Jezebel worships and falsely accounts of the prophets of Yawah , the one true God ! Beware of this evil author. Read Reign of the Queens by Ginger Garrett, for accurate biblical account of this child killing witch. Or better yet, read 1Kings of the Holy Bible. Apparantly the authour of this Poor account didn't.
Ashu Rocky
Ashu Rocky marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Fatima
Fatima marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Laura Newman
Laura Newman marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Jenine Davey
Jenine Davey marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Liliflaj
Liliflaj marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
S.
S. added it
Sep 06, 2014
Karen Solomons
Karen Solomons marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
  • Deborah's Story (Women of the Bible)
  • Secret of the Sands
  • Mary Magdalene
  • Delilah: A Novel
  • The Triumph of Deborah
  • Sarai (Wives of the Patriarchs, # 1)
  • Harvest of Rubies (Harvest of Rubies, #1)
  • The Heavens Before (Genesis, #1)
  • A Reluctant Queen: The Love Story of Esther
  • Havah: The Story of Eve
  • The Search for Nefertiti: The True Story of an Amazing Discovery
  • Chosen: The Lost Diaries of Queen Esther (Lost Loves of the Bible #1)
  • The Courtesan's Lover
  • Zipporah, Wife of Moses (Canaan, #2)
  • Seven Days to the Sea: An Epic Novel Of The Exodus