Start by marking “Jezebel” as Want to Read:
Jezebel

Jezebel

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  150 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Set against the sweeping backdrop of the ancient Holy Land, Jezebel is a tale of love, loss and deceit - and one woman’s struggle to survive in a land filled with rivals plotting her downfall…

Her name is iconic. Her courage extraordinary. Her story remarkable.

Jezebel, a young princess of Tyre is destined to be married to King Ahab of Israel. Yet she is determined to rule h
Published January 1st 2012 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about Jezebel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jezebel

The Red Tent by Anita DiamantPearl in the Sand by Tessa AfsharHarvest of Rubies by Tessa AfsharThe Centurion's Wife by Davis BunnSarai by Jill Eileen Smith
Biblical Fiction
55th out of 148 books — 97 voters
The Red Tent by Anita DiamantThe Dovekeepers by Alice HoffmanHavah by Tosca LeeSarah by Marek HalterEve by Elissa Elliott
Best Biblical Heroines - Fiction
39th out of 40 books — 55 voters

More lists with this book...

Iona
Dec 31, 2014 Iona rated it really liked it
The name Jezebel is so known, but I do not know anything about the woman other than the loose image. I do not know her story or her place in history.
Whilst I am realistic enough to know that this is fiction, and has been written as a 'love' story within history - I found myself drawn more and more in to Jezebel's story and environment. Removing all the 'romance' and cleanses of the story-telling, I recognised that Jezebel has her place in the history of the bible, and of that region. I am deter
Richard Abbott
Jul 23, 2013 Richard Abbott rated it really liked it
I came to this story as it had been chosen for a book club I belong to. Since the subject matter is getting close to the period I like to write about (it is set only a few hundred years later, and in the same general region as `In a Milk and Honeyed Land`) I was unsure what I would think of it. I was acutely aware of the risk of judging it much more strictly than an equivalent book from another period.

In balance, for me, this was a four star book. The historical background had been looked into t
Liz
Jul 18, 2014 Liz rated it it was ok
Meh. If you're going to take an infamous historical character and retell her story, you might want to make sure your character is a believable human being. While every other character is dynamic and flawed, Jezebel can do no wrong. Throughout her life, she is strong and good at the core while others eventually fall to flawed ideology or pride.

Reader beware: this is nothing like the historical Jezebel, but instead a creative perspective on what her life was like. Prophets are lecherous rebel-rous
Hannah
Jul 11, 2013 Hannah rated it really liked it
Jezebel, a princess of Tyre is to marry King Ahab of Israel, but not before she has an affair with Jehu, a visiting prince, that leaves her pregnant with his child. As she moves to Israel, she finds herself at odds with their customs and their religion, whilst meanwhile trying to protect the identity of her son’s true father.

Compared to how she is depicted in the Bible, this rendition is much more in favour of Jezebel. Some of this is due to a liberal artistic licence and changing certain events
Ashish Jaituni
Jul 01, 2014 Ashish Jaituni rated it it was amazing
Jezebel - I loved reading the book. A much despised figure in the Bible. The author takes a sympathetic view of the queen and writes a nicely carved story which is probably absolutely fiction but the good point she makes is on the dangers of a fanatically driven state. The book reminds us that these dangers are very relevant in today's world. A very readable book.
Rachel Rick
Aug 31, 2014 Rachel Rick rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy this as much as I'd hoped; I was hoping for The Red Tent but this didn't match that. Entertaining but sometimes irritating
Sonja
Aug 02, 2015 Sonja rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. But, this book isn't for everybody, you got to want to read a story like this. If you're not into this type of books you better miss this one. I didn't know anything about Jezebel from the Bible,so I didn't have any idea how this character would be. From the beggining of the book the story got my attention, and I just couldn't stop reading it. It was beautifully written, I felt like I know the world Jezebel lived in. It was also an emotional ride,and the end really made me cry ...more
Jane
Dec 31, 2013 Jane rated it really liked it
An insightful exploration into the young woman who was betrothed to seal alliances between the Judeans, the Israelites and the Phoenicians. The arrogance of two strong prophets, first Elijah and then Elisha, makes for an interesting contrast with the usually received perception of these renowned Biblical characters. Jezebel shows great strength as she negotiates the political complexities of ruling in this time.
Zlatka
May 08, 2015 Zlatka rated it it was ok
Kind of waste of time really.
Mousumi Bhattacharya
Dec 08, 2014 Mousumi Bhattacharya rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is the most discussed and cussed fallen woman in the history of fallen women. In fact her name has become synonymous to fallen women. The incidents in her life that made her infamous are in the book. But, the way the incidents are perceived is different. I loved it and recommend it to anyone who is a fan of historical fiction.
Savannah Asztalos
Jan 12, 2013 Savannah Asztalos rated it it was amazing
Loved the book overall but I hated last part of the book. I was really upset with the author's decision though I'm sure it had to be done considering the historical contex. The ending was alright considering the last part. Overall a great book really enjoyed reading it :) I recommend it
Jimi-carol Benton
Mar 09, 2013 Jimi-carol Benton rated it liked it
A really good book but I found it distressing how much it went against the bible. I should have known though that the book would favor Jezebel. I really hated that it made the prophets of God look so evil.
Anne-Marie
Apr 11, 2012 Anne-Marie rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this. Don't know enough about the history to know if its accurate but it was a good read and not overly heavy or descriptive which was just what i needed after my last book.
Justin Neville
Rating and review coming.

I know some of my Goodreads friends are currently reading this book or about to for our book group, so I won't prejudice their responses to it...
Nehal
Mar 16, 2014 Nehal rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
umm...the book was so good that I wanna read it once again...been sometime and I've forgotten it..
but surely an awesome read!
Kathleen Wells
Jul 24, 2013 Kathleen Wells rated it did not like it
Awful book. Inconsistencies, and didnt have much to say. I cant even say if it is "historical" fiction.
Sep 25, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Couldn't put this one down, but the artistic license based on historical events was quite liberal.
Kim Leach
Sep 11, 2013 Kim Leach rated it it was amazing
Great book. Looking forward to seeing how biblically accurate it is.
Amy
May 04, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
1st read 2011
Shanna
Jan 06, 2014 Shanna rated it did not like it
NOT BIBLICAL ! Claims Elijah Tried TO RAPE HER ?Where does the author get her information ? She speaks eloquently about the useless demons Jezebel worships and falsely accounts of the prophets of Yawah , the one true God ! Beware of this evil author. Read Reign of the Queens by Ginger Garrett, for accurate biblical account of this child killing witch. Or better yet, read 1Kings of the Holy Bible. Apparantly the authour of this Poor account didn't.
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Lacey
Lacey marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Katie Pulman
Katie Pulman marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Alia Atreides
Alia Atreides marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Pamela
Pamela rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2016
Priscilla D.Gaskins
Priscilla D.Gaskins marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Kerry Wilsher
Kerry Wilsher marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Elena
Elena added it
Jan 21, 2016
Mercy
Mercy marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
  • Deborah's Story (Women of the Bible)
  • Secret of the Sands
  • Mary Magdalene
  • Delilah
  • The Triumph of Deborah
  • Havah: The Story of Eve
  • Sarai (Wives of the Patriarchs, # 1)
  • The Heavens Before (Genesis, #1)
  • Harvest of Rubies (Harvest of Rubies, #1)
  • Seven Days to the Sea: An Epic Novel Of The Exodus
  • Lilah (Canaan, #3)
  • A Reluctant Queen: The Love Story of Esther
  • Chosen: The Lost Diaries of Queen Esther (Lost Loves of the Bible #1)
  • City of the Dead
  • Jewel of Persia
Eleanor de Jong is the daughter of academics and grew up in Europe, America and the UK. She studied history and politics at university, and is now settled in London with her partner. Delilah is her first novel.
More about Eleanor De Jong...