Delilah

Delilah

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  251 ratings  ·  38 reviews

Maligned as the courtesan who revealed the mighty Samson's secret for money, Delilah has become synonymous with treachery. But behind the myth is a tale far more tragic…

Published (first published April 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Delilah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Delilah

Karen
Started reading it late last night, and finished it this morning. Couldn't put it down. A very fast page turner. Very enjoyable, and I look forward to her next one. Great if this is her first novel.
E. Chainey (Bookowski)
Daha ayrıntılı yorum ve bilgi için: http://bookowski101.blogspot.com/2013...

Filistinliler ve İsrailoğullarının husumetinin çok çok eski zamanlara dayandığını bilirdim de bu kadar eski olduğunu bilmezdim. Toprağın ve toprağa hakim olmanın neredeyse her şey demek olduğu bir zamanda bu iki halk da birbirleriyle toprak ve kendi halklarının geleceği için savaşırken Samson ve Delilah'nın hikayesi bu durum ile paralellik göstererek ve de zıtlaşarak şekillenmiş. Kitap çok canlı bir şekilde bu efsaneye/a...more
Lauren-Jane
Absolutely haunting and stunning! This book is so evocative and you really connect the characters, who are utterly vivid and convincing. I cant wait for Jezebel!
KJS42
A brilliant fast-paced easy read full of excitement, sexual tension and thrill. A highly recommended, gripping read.
Jan Brunner
Terrifically entertaining version of a well-known story. If you liked The Red Tent, you will love Delilah.
Samantha
Read in one sitting couldn't put it down! So glad I bought it now!
Patrícia
Opinião do blogue Chaise Longue: http://girlinchaiselongue.blogspot.pt...

Filha de académicos, Eleanor cresceu entre a Europa e os Estados Unidos. Estudou História e Política e neste momento vive com o companheiro em Londres. Dalila, o seu primeiro romance, foi publicado em 2011 e está traduzido em três línguas. Para além deste, Eleanor escreveu Jezebel, ainda não traduzido no nosso país.
Em pequena de todas as histórias do Antigo Testamento a que mais me impressionou e ficou marcada na minha memó...more
Elysium
After Delilah’s father dies her mother remarries their employer. But he is Philisetine while Delilah’s family is Israelite and there’s no great love between the cultures. Her new stepsister Hemin seems to hate her and everything she represents but Hemin’s brother adores her.

Hemin is about to be married to Samson, young Israelite who people look as their leader. The wedding doesn’t go through and Delilah takes great dislike to Samson when they first meet. When her stepfather offers her as a wife...more
Sanne
A novel about the life and times of the biblical duo, Samson and Delilah.

This was such a good read, and having known so little about these people, I now understand why she did the things she did. Based on extensive research but written as a novel, Eleanor de Jong has written a riveting story about the events surrounding the times of the pair.

As a child I was only taught about Delilah being a woman who cut off Samson's hair because he was too strong...and being not really very interested in thi...more
HÜLYA
Hannah
Delilah is based on the biblical tale of Delilah and Samson. In the book, Lord Phicol, the lord of the Philistines, pays Delilah to seduce and help capture Samson, a leader amongst the Israelites. However, as Delilah starts to fall for Samson and learns more about her Israelite heritage, she finds herself in a difficult position: unable to be truly loyal to either party.

My favourite thing about this book is the way it takes you back to the ancient Holy Land and brings the story of Delilah and Sa...more
Rita Ramos
I couldn't feel remotely connected to the main character, and feel imune to her spoiled brat's charm that apparently infects most people around her. She can get away with anything, having freedom to be out and about with virtually no questions asked by anyone of her household. I can't really understand what in her character can make people have such strong feelings for her of love/hate like Ekron ( who starts off likeable, ends atrociously and is quickly substituted as confident and friend by Jo...more
Lisa
The story piqued my interest from the start and was easy to read. The descriptions were good although I detected a bit of 'info-dumping' at times (I really didn't need to know in great detail what every dress of Delilah's looked like).

The middle of the story was slower and felt like it was held together by many love scenes one after the other, with certain character actions and thoughts thrown in just to show the reader "look, I haven't forgotten about this very important point!". One character...more
AvonBooksUK
From the moment they met, there was a fire in their relationship, with Samson pitted against Delilah's family. But Samson soon develops an overwhelming passion for Delilah; entranced by her beauty and passionate nature.

Meanwhile the Israelites and the Philistines are in a state of constant conflict, with Samson a seemingly unbeatable warrior. The Philistines are desperate to learn the secret behind Samson's power and enrol Delilah as a pawn to bring him down. Driven by misplaced anger, Delilah a...more
Amy
Apr 27, 2014 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: anyone and everyone
WOW What an amazing book!! I found this, and though it interested me, there was just something about the discription that didn't quite sell me. When last week it was on sale, I chose to give it a chance and try it out and I am so, so glad I did!! This book is amazingly well written and moves quickly, yet smoothly. It gives a new spin on an old story, while still keeping to the idea of the Biblical scraps we have. What hit me more, was the emotional effect this book had one me. I really felt the...more
I'd never read any Biblical themed historical fiction before coming across "Delilah" and while I've of course heard of Samson and Delilah and knew the gist of their story, and while I can't claim in anyway to be an expert I like to think I know slightly more about them now! This was a really enjoyable but often thoroughly upsetting read. It took a while for me to warm to Delilah but after I did I really cared about her, and loved the fact that the author attempted to vindicate her here - or at l...more
Susan
Good book, in general. I read Anita Daimant's Red Tent and was looking for something along that lines, and this book was recommended. It's no Red Tent that's for sure, but it does give an interesting twist on the story we've all grown up with of Delilah and Samson. Easy, quick read.
Eiffel Nunez
i've bought Delilah on a booksale for about P75 and know what, with its cheap cost comes a priceless story. a fave. :) liked how it ended.
Kate
Full Review Here - http://anamateurslibrary.blogspot.co....

At first I didn't like this book. Delilah was a pain who didn't seem to care about anything but dresses and showing up her step-sister Hemin. When I was reading the last third of the book though the stakes were raised and everything became so much better. It was within those 100+ pages that all the emotions and tension that I was expecting all the wa through came in. Got Jezebel on my shelf and now am definitely going to read it soon.
da-wildchildz
She could savour the sweetness of the past.

Last line from Delilah. This contrasted greatly to another Samson and Delilah novel I read recently, The Lion’s Honey. Whereas that focussed on details from Samson’s perspective, this told Delilah’s tale. I didn't care much for Delilah, who was portrayed here as a selfish brat. The rest of the cast wasn't particularly likable or memorable either. However, it was an interesting read, even though the beginning dragged and the end was rushed.
Novenda
The writing is really poorly executed, the book lacks style and it took me a lot of effort to read it.
Jovana Mirjanić Mira
Jedna zvezdica za trud i to je to.
Parastou Khiaban
Delilah was a quick read, but in a good way; the plot is fast-paced, smooth and very hard to put down. Based on the tale of Samson and Delilah, Eleanor de Jong gives a new spin to the biblical story. She takes us to a different time and place with ease, creating colourful characters in a beautiful setting... Read More
Elle
Ok, this book isn't too bad as long as you know what you're getting yourself into - a lightweight retelling of Samson and Delilah from her point of view. It's romantic and cheesey and quite enjoyable until the ending oh my god if you can call it that. Cut off like the author had used a sharp knife. I turned the page half expecting another chapter. Ah well at least it was a very cheap book. :D
Donna Henderson
I loved this book! Eleanor writes with such brevity, creating colourful characters in a beautiful setting. I usually read horror and thriller novels, but for me this was so refreshing, and a wonderful insight into the Israelite and Philistine worlds - and of course human nature. This book is a fine example of great storytelling.
Oorla
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and hugely taken by the complex character of Delilah. I think the author rightly pitched her personality and she is a good match for Samson.
As much as the bible is silent about the details and genuineness of their love affair, I can easily see how the events could have turned out as describe in the book.
Polina
As I loved the Red Tent and was intrigued when I read the back cover I decided to read it. It was a good story, told in an enticing way. Even though I was familiar with the story it was interesting for me to get a deeper point of view on the story. As it said on the cover that it was the author's first back, it was a good one.
Vicky Thomasson
A heartbreaking story about love, lose and betrayal. I wasn't sure about it to begin with but once the love story with Samson starts it begins to pick up. It's a story full of action and passion and its fairly well written. I noticed a few mistakes but all in all a good first novel for de Jong.
Angel Serrano
La interpretación de episodios bíblicos suele tener un carácter revisionista, pero la autora da la vuelta al mito de Samson y Dalila, presta credibilidad al episodio del pelo y la pérdida de fuerza y flojea algo en la caída del templo. Políticamente controvertido.
Savitri
I quite enjoyed this book. I love historical fiction and IMHO, this was an interesting view of Samson and Delilah. True/not, this book made me do a bit of Googling to see if there are any more info on either character.
  • Deborah's Story (Women of the Bible)
  • Mary Magdalene
  • Delilah: A Novel
  • The Triumph of Deborah
  • Sarai (Wives of the Patriarchs, # 1)
  • The Heavens Before (Genesis, #1)
  • Chosen: The Lost Diaries of Queen Esther (Lost Loves of the Bible #1)
  • A Reluctant Queen: The Love Story of Esther
  • Lilah (Canaan, #3)
  • The Courtesan's Lover
  • Jewel of Persia
  • Seven Days to the Sea: An Epic Novel Of The Exodus
  • The Courtesan and the Samurai
  • Harvest of Rubies (Harvest of Rubies, #1)
  • Love's Sacred Song (Treasure of His Love)
  • The Uncrowned Queen