Start by marking “Delilah” as Want to Read:
Delilah

Delilah

Maligned as the courtesan who revealed the mighty Samson's secret for money, Delilah has become synonymous with treachery. But behind the myth is a tale far more tragic…

Published (first published April 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Delilah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Delilah

Tonkica
Apr 26, 2016 Tonkica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prica koju u biti svi znaju... Dobro napisana, nema izvitoperenih novopecenih ideja! ;)
Preporuka!
Sandra Bašić
Poznata priča o Samsonu i Dalili, valjda nema nikog tko ju ne zna. Bilo mi je OK za podsjetiti se, nije bila dosadna što pozdravljam ali... nije me oborila s nogu. Dalila mi je ostala u sjećanju kao negativan lik koji je "prodao" svoj narod. A Samson kao mnogi muškarci, dozvolio da ga opčini žena. Nije mu pomogla ni kosa, u svakom slučaju nije lik koji bi bio oličenje "muškosti".
Amy
Apr 27, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: anyone and everyone
WOW What an amazing book!! I found this, and though it interested me, there was just something about the discription that didn't quite sell me. When last week it was on sale, I chose to give it a chance and try it out and I am so, so glad I did!! This book is amazingly well written and moves quickly, yet smoothly. It gives a new spin on an old story, while still keeping to the idea of the Biblical scraps we have. What hit me more, was the emotional effect this book had one me. I really felt the ...more
Redfox5
I knew this was based on one of the stories from the Bible but it wasn't one I knew so after I started reading, I checked out wikipedia to get a summary of their story. Which was pretty silly actually as I then knew it wasn't going to end well.

I really liked Delilah, she knew her own mind and was independent in a world where woman were seen as nothing but objects. At first I didn't really like Samson but like Delilah, once I got to know him I loved him. I kept picturing him as Khal Drogo from
Ana
Jun 29, 2016 Ana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Comprei este livro por impulso e pensei que seria mais um para a pilha, no entanto a escrita foi uma agradável surpresa.
Para mim Dalila era a eterna sedutora, mulher fatal que levou Sansão ao declínio. Mas Eleanor de Jong tenta repor a verdade histórica e explicar todos os motivos para as suas atitudes e sentimentos.
Karen
May 08, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Started reading it late last night, and finished it this morning. Couldn't put it down. A very fast page turner. Very enjoyable, and I look forward to her next one. Great if this is her first novel.
Hannah
Jun 21, 2013 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delilah is based on the biblical tale of Delilah and Samson. In the book, Lord Phicol, the lord of the Philistines, pays Delilah to seduce and help capture Samson, a leader amongst the Israelites. However, as Delilah starts to fall for Samson and learns more about her Israelite heritage, she finds herself in a difficult position: unable to be truly loyal to either party.

My favourite thing about this book is the way it takes you back to the ancient Holy Land and brings the story of Delilah and Sa
E. Chainey (Bookowski)
Daha ayrıntılı yorum ve bilgi için: http://bookowski101.blogspot.com/2013...

Filistinliler ve İsrailoğullarının husumetinin çok çok eski zamanlara dayandığını bilirdim de bu kadar eski olduğunu bilmezdim. Toprağın ve toprağa hakim olmanın neredeyse her şey demek olduğu bir zamanda bu iki halk da birbirleriyle toprak ve kendi halklarının geleceği için savaşırken Samson ve Delilah'nın hikayesi bu durum ile paralellik göstererek ve de zıtlaşarak şekillenmiş. Kitap çok canlı bir şekilde bu efsaneye/a
Sanne
Nov 29, 2013 Sanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A novel about the life and times of the biblical duo, Samson and Delilah.

This was such a good read, and having known so little about these people, I now understand why she did the things she did. Based on extensive research but written as a novel, Eleanor de Jong has written a riveting story about the events surrounding the times of the pair.

As a child I was only taught about Delilah being a woman who cut off Samson's hair because he was too strong...and being not really very interested in thi
Lisa
Oct 19, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story piqued my interest from the start and was easy to read. The descriptions were good although I detected a bit of 'info-dumping' at times (I really didn't need to know in great detail what every dress of Delilah's looked like).

The middle of the story was slower and felt like it was held together by many love scenes one after the other, with certain character actions and thoughts thrown in just to show the reader "look, I haven't forgotten about this very important point!". One character
Lyndsay MacDonald
Feb 18, 2015 Lyndsay MacDonald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
KJS42
Jul 11, 2011 KJS42 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant fast-paced easy read full of excitement, sexual tension and thrill. A highly recommended, gripping read.
Jan Brunner
Jul 14, 2011 Jan Brunner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrifically entertaining version of a well-known story. If you liked The Red Tent, you will love Delilah.
Lauren-Jane
Jun 14, 2014 Lauren-Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely haunting and stunning! This book is so evocative and you really connect the characters, who are utterly vivid and convincing. I cant wait for Jezebel!
Samantha
Mar 07, 2012 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read in one sitting couldn't put it down! So glad I bought it now!
Annie
Oct 13, 2014 Annie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why, why, whyyy? I won't lie. This book's ending made me cry; such a bittersweet one.
Helena
Dec 28, 2016 Helena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: os-meus-livros
Acabou finalmente... Não que esteja mal escrito que não está. Mas a história parece arrastar-se até à conclusão esperada... Não sei o que esperava, mas era certamente algo mais.
Patrícia
Opinião do blogue Chaise Longue: http://girlinchaiselongue.blogspot.pt...

Filha de académicos, Eleanor cresceu entre a Europa e os Estados Unidos. Estudou História e Política e neste momento vive com o companheiro em Londres. Dalila, o seu primeiro romance, foi publicado em 2011 e está traduzido em três línguas. Para além deste, Eleanor escreveu Jezebel, ainda não traduzido no nosso país.
Em pequena de todas as histórias do Antigo Testamento a que mais me impressionou e ficou marcada na minha memó
HÜLYA
Oct 31, 2013 HÜLYA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elysium
After Delilah’s father dies her mother remarries their employer. But he is Philisetine while Delilah’s family is Israelite and there’s no great love between the cultures. Her new stepsister Hemin seems to hate her and everything she represents but Hemin’s brother adores her.

Hemin is about to be married to Samson, young Israelite who people look as their leader. The wedding doesn’t go through and Delilah takes great dislike to Samson when they first meet. When her stepfather offers her as a wife
Rita Ramos
I couldn't feel remotely connected to the main character, and feel imune to her spoiled brat's charm that apparently infects most people around her. She can get away with anything, having freedom to be out and about with virtually no questions asked by anyone of her household. I can't really understand what in her character can make people have such strong feelings for her of love/hate like Ekron ( who starts off likeable, ends atrociously and is quickly substituted as confident and friend by Jo ...more
AvonBooksUK
From the moment they met, there was a fire in their relationship, with Samson pitted against Delilah's family. But Samson soon develops an overwhelming passion for Delilah; entranced by her beauty and passionate nature.

Meanwhile the Israelites and the Philistines are in a state of constant conflict, with Samson a seemingly unbeatable warrior. The Philistines are desperate to learn the secret behind Samson's power and enrol Delilah as a pawn to bring him down. Driven by misplaced anger, Delilah a
Oct 20, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd never read any Biblical themed historical fiction before coming across "Delilah". I've of course heard of Samson and Delilah and knew the gist of their story, and now that I've read de Jong's version of events, while I can't claim in anyway to be an expert I like to think I know slightly more about them now! This was a really enjoyable but often thoroughly upsetting read. It took a while for me to warm to Delilah but after I did I really cared about her, and loved the fact that the author at ...more
Katie
Full Review Here - http://anamateurslibrary.blogspot.co....

At first I didn't like this book. Delilah was a pain who didn't seem to care about anything but dresses and showing up her step-sister Hemin. When I was reading the last third of the book though the stakes were raised and everything became so much better. It was within those 100+ pages that all the emotions and tension that I was expecting all the wa through came in. Got Jezebel on my shelf and now am definitely going to read it soon.
da-wildchildz
She could savour the sweetness of the past.

Last line from Delilah. This contrasted greatly to another Samson and Delilah novel I read recently, The Lion’s Honey. Whereas that focussed on details from Samson’s perspective, this told Delilah’s tale. I didn't care much for Delilah, who was portrayed here as a selfish brat. The rest of the cast wasn't particularly likable or memorable either. However, it was an interesting read, even though the beginning dragged and the end was rushed.
Sally
Feb 20, 2015 Sally rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of historical fiction. What I like most about the genre is being transported to another time, location and culture and I gain knowledge or insight from it; that may lead me to do so follow up reading on the culture etc as it is fiction after all. With this book there was just a bit too much of the love/sex life of the main character for me, I would have liked more details on the cultures, religions and politics. Overall it was a quick easy read and falls into the OK rating for me.
Parastou Khiaban
Jul 10, 2013 Parastou Khiaban rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delilah was a quick read, but in a good way; the plot is fast-paced, smooth and very hard to put down. Based on the tale of Samson and Delilah, Eleanor de Jong gives a new spin to the biblical story. She takes us to a different time and place with ease, creating colourful characters in a beautiful setting... Read More
Eleanor Whitwell
Ok, this book isn't too bad as long as you know what you're getting yourself into - a lightweight retelling of Samson and Delilah from her point of view. It's romantic and cheesey and quite enjoyable until the ending oh my god if you can call it that. Cut off like the author had used a sharp knife. I turned the page half expecting another chapter. Ah well at least it was a very cheap book. :D
Donna Henderson
Sep 10, 2016 Donna Henderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Eleanor writes with such brevity, creating colourful characters in a beautiful setting. I usually read horror and thriller novels, but for me this was so refreshing, and a wonderful insight into the Israelite and Philistine worlds - and of course human nature. This book is a fine example of great storytelling.
Polina
Jul 30, 2011 Polina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I loved the Red Tent and was intrigued when I read the back cover I decided to read it. It was a good story, told in an enticing way. Even though I was familiar with the story it was interesting for me to get a deeper point of view on the story. As it said on the cover that it was the author's first back, it was a good one.
  • Secret of the Sands
  • Deborah's Story (Women of the Bible)
  • Mary Magdalene
  • The Triumph of Deborah
  • Delilah
  • Bathsheba (The Wives of King David #3)
  • The Courtesan's Lover
  • The Heavens Before (Genesis, #1)
  • Chosen: The Lost Diaries of Queen Esther (Lost Loves of the Bible #1)
  • Seven Days to the Sea: An Epic Novel Of The Exodus
  • Kći Lotršćaka
  • City of the Dead (Seven Wonders, #1)
  • Love's Sacred Song (Treasure of His Love)
  • Harvest of Rubies (Harvest of Rubies, #1)
  • The Painted Lady
  • Jewel of Persia
Eleanor de Jong is the daughter of academics and grew up in Europe, America and the UK. She studied history and politics at university, and is now settled in London with her partner. Delilah is her first novel.
More about Eleanor De Jong...