Start by marking “Cape Light” as Want to Read:
Cape Light

Cape Light (Cape Light #1)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  910 ratings  ·  99 reviews
Inspired by the artistic vision of world-renowned landscape painter Thomas Kinkade--and imbued with the light of his uplifting message--this heartwarming novel introduces us to the quaint town of Cape Light, and those who call it home.
Published April 27th 2004 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Cape Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cape Light

Nolan
I enjoyed a singularly compelling experience late last month. I cracked the cover of this book and was instantly transported to Cape Light, Massachusetts, a community whose magic lies in the development of its characters, its various plot lines, and the flowing writing style of its authors—a writing style that seems to blend the best of Luanne Rice, Nicholas Sparks, Richard Paul Evans and anyone else you can think of who writes like that.

I read book one in this series because some of the later b
Donna
I am just starting to read the Cape Light series of books by Thomas Kinkade and Katherine Spencer.

In Cape Light you will meet the many people that make up the town's history. There is the Warwick family: Lillian, the matriarch of the family; Emily, the town's Mayor; and Jessica, the assistant manager at the bank. Another large family in Cape Light are the Morgan's: Sam, who is a carpenter and very much in love with Jessica; Molly, the sister who despises Jessica, and her daughters Lauren and Jil
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
4.5 Stars

Don't let the Christian Fiction genre label be an excuse to shy away from this lovely book. Thomas Kinkade and Katherine Spencer have created such a warm fictitious New England village, Cape Light, Massachusetts. Its inhabitants are warm and generous, though there are a few whose lives are not without hardships or past sorrows. I can see Cape Light as one of Thomas Kinkade"s Rockwell-like paintings. It is not heavy-handed in its use of Bible quotations or spiritual reflections. Cape Lig
James
Dec 03, 2013 James marked it as will-not-read  ·  review of another edition
I don't plan to read the book, because I can only assume I would dislike the book in the same way I dislike the art. However, many years ago while on holiday we were sniggering outside one of his 'galleries' and my brother-in-law announced: "Thomas Kinkade, painter in something that rhymes with light!". And we fell about laughing. Until we noticed that the window was open and the woman in the shop was not nearly as amused as we were...

It's hard to imagine how the sentimental twee artist of the p
Jamie
Jul 12, 2007 Jamie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance fans
Shelves: read-in-2007
This was a nice little book about a small town where everyone knows everybody's business - nearly. Most of the characters in this novel either have a secret hope for their futures, secrets that haunt them in their pasts, or feelings they keep a secret even from themselves.

Cape Light has strongly Christian themes about giving oneself over to God's hands and letting God handle things. I'm not religious and expected that the Christian backbone would be distracting from the main story, but I was pl
Nicole
I was all ready to give this book a 4 until that ending. The reason it couldn't be 5 stars was because there were about 10000 characters to keep track of. It switched prospectives constantly without warning sometimes. There would be even switches of perspective in a given perspective if that makes any sense. For example, you are reading about one sister and suddenly you are hearing the internal thoughts of the other sister. Even though this was told in third person, it was just totally confusing ...more
Amy
Wonderful read. Taking it back to the Library and getting the next one tomorrow!!
Nikita
When I started to read this book I had no idea what to expect because it was nothing I have never really read. In the beginning I had a difficult time keeping up with all the characters, but as I kept reading it became easier to see who was who. I also had a hard figuring out what kind of book Cape Light was. Whether it was a romance, mystery, or suspense. I have to now say it was all of the above. I just finished the book and it brought tears to my eyes. The only thing I didn't like is it left ...more
Donna
All in all, I really enjoyed this book. It took about ...a good 1/3 of the way into the book before I really started getting into it. It was slow going, but once I got into the storyline, it took off, and I was hooked.

The book is set in Cape Light, which just sounds like this idyllic, sweet community. The type of community I've always wanted to live in... where you can walk everywhere, everyone knows everyone. Of course there's the harbor, the church, the coffee shop and the diner. It just soun
Michelle
Cape Light
Thomas Kinkade and Katherine Spencer
Fiction
378 pages
copyright: 2002
isbn: 0-515-13732-4

Inspired by the artistic vision of world-renowned landscape painter Thomas Kinkade--and imbued with the light of his uplifting message--this heartwarming novel introduces us to the quint town of Cape Light, and those who call it home...

Nestled in New England is the picturesque seaside hamlet of Cape Light, where everyone knows everyone, and folks still about one another. But Cape Lighters have their s
Bonnie McHenry
I love when I find a book where the characters come to life and I feel like one of the characters looking in from the outside. The story centers around a small town called Cape Light and the people who make Cape Light their home. Each of the characters have their human flaws which make them relatable and likeable. While reading this book I had so many emotions, God, a sense of community, a sense of family, friendship, secrets from the past, questions about the future, falling in love, jealousy, ...more
Missi Svoboda
Even though I accidentally read the 4th book, then the 2nd book and now have finished the 1st book in this amazing 4 book series centered around a great group of people living in a quaint little town they were all wonderful. Now I will conclude the series with the 3rd book and Im sure it will be great !!!
Mike
It is true what is said about Cape Light - "It's a little town you've never been to but you know it by heart."

This is the first of the Cape Light series. After beginning with #10 or so in the series, I felt I owed it to myself to begin with book #1 and unravel some of the mysteries of the stories. I'm glad I did!

The characters quickly and easily become your friends; the restaurants, church, streets, etc. soon become as familiar to you as if they had been part of your life and not just some incre
Connie
OOPS, I WROTE MY REVIEW UNDER THE FIRST TITLE IN THE SERIES--HOW DID I DO THIS???????????? I WILL KNOW GO TO THE CORRECT TITLE "SONGS OF CHRISTMAS" AND INSERT A CROSS REFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is another light but delightful book in "Thomas Kinkade's Cape Light" series. Mr Kinkade passed away but his co-author, Katherine Spencer (real name Anne Canadeo) is continuing this series and also, Mr Kinkade's other wonderful series, "Angel Island".

Ms. Canadeo has posted that she has already planned an
Isabelle
I will start by saying this was a decent book. It is certainly not the best book I have ever read nor is it the worst. If I could choose a rating it would be at about 3 1/2 stars. This book had an overall positive message throughout, but definitely had some slow points as well. I am happy with the way Sam and Jessica's story line ended, even if it drudged along for a while. There were a lot of loose ends in this book, especially concerning Emily and Sara. I am sure the remaining strings will be ...more
Gail Jorgensen
after reading 7 of the cape light books I got the begining ones I enjoyed meeting all the people I had already read about love the small town feeling.
Liana
This story was very enjoyable . I had a hard time getting all the characters straight in the beginning , then it really came together , I am looking forward to reading the next one in the series. I just loved it.
Grace
We all know of world-renowned landscape painter Thomas Kinkade and many of us have wondered what is the story behind his paintings. The cover of this book features his painting, "The Light of Peace" also known as "Cape Light".

Reading Cape Light gives you a glimpse of what Kinkade may have been thinking while painting this beautiful painting.

This was a great book. I really enjoyed getting to know the Warwick family and look forward to what their future holds in the rest of the series!
Virginia
Another lovely story about second chances--about a small town with nice people--reminded me of his paintings. The characters are personal. Very enjoyable and a "great escape." This is #1 of of the Cape Light series!
The theology of trying to "forgive yourself" is off--God never asks us to forgive ourselves. We are to ask for--and accept--His forgiveness. His death on the cross was sufficient. Not accepting it is either unbelief or rebellion--we want to "add to" His work on the cross.
Amy Sweetapple
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and series. The characters are realistic and engaging. The spiritual aspects of the series are provocative without being overbearing. I highly recommend this series.
Nadine Keels
Thoughts on the series.

The Cape Light novels answer the question of what would happen if you stepped into Kinkade’s warm, vivid, signature paintings.

While the series brought all of the warmth and comfort I anticipated, the characters and their situations turned out to be more real than my initial anticipation thought they would be. Warmth, comfort, and realness without descents into sap and corniness: “feel good” reading at its best.
Cheryl
I really liked this book, it is a nice, light read. I read this following a most disturbing novel and found it quite comforting. It is definitely not a deep, thought provoking read - but not all novels need to be in order to be special. This book leaves you with good feelings and reminds to take the time to enjoy the everyday. That may be corny for some people, but if you give this series a try you may surprise yourself. I know it was a surprise for me.
Carolyn
This was the second time I read Cape Light and it was just as enjoyable. It is refreshing to read a "love" story that was written in a Christian manner and not full of "X-rated" scenes. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys a story with believable characters and likes a bit of mystery woven into the story. I look forward to reading the other novels in the Cape Light series.
Margie Bruce
Jul 25, 2010 Margie Bruce rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Speechless. I'm still lost in the romance between Jessica Warwick and Sam Morgan. I will write a review when I recover...

Ok. I've recovered. I love small town stories and add romance to it, it's the perfect book for me. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars is because I was not crazy about how Jessica and Sam ended up together. It was a little cheesy.
Crystal
I knew nothing about this book when I saw it at the library one day. I was looking for the first book in any series, as the one I really went in for was checked out by the time I arrived. So I’m glad I can say that I had no expectations, because that leaves no room to be let down.

To read the rest of my review, please visit:
Sha Valencia
Good story. Lots of characters. Does a good job of getting you interested in all the character's lives which the successive books build on. Christian fiction. Wholesome with some interesting story lines. When you finish the first, you want to read the 2nd and so on. I thought I was done at the 5th. Just discovered that there are more.
bert-bobbi
Kincaid wrote this with another person (a strike against it right there), and it was not interesting to me from the start -- I think he's more of a painter and she's likely the real author. Trudged through half this book and said to myself "That's enough...move on to something else!"
Jackie
The painter Thomas Kinkade has written a series of books about a town called Cape Light. They are good, not bestsellers, but entertaining. The books are in no particular order as far as story line. They are about different people who live in Cape Light. I would recommend these books to all my friends.
Marjorie
I liked the book a lot. This is the second time I have read it. Others may find it mushy or whatever. But it is reminiscent of the Mitford series, which I have also read over and over. I enjoy the spirituality of them both and the characters are, for the most part, people you would like to know.
Linda
Excellent book it is wonderful reading it takes you into a community and makes you feel like you are there and these people are your friends. A hard book to put down and leaves you wanting to more. This is a reread for me and it was just as good the second time around as it was the first.
  • The Christmas Blessing (Christmas Hope, #2)
  • Recipes & Wooden Spoons (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #3)
  • The Christmas Candle
  • A Revelation in Autumn (Discovery, #5)
  • Sisterchicks in Gondolas (Sisterchicks, #6)
  • Hidden History (Tales From Grace Chapel Inn, #4)
  • Home for the Holidays (Tales From Grace Chapel Inn, #7)
  • Home To Italy
  • Rose Galbraith
  • A Dime a Dozen (The Million Dollar Mysteries, #3)
  • Bygones (Sommerfield Trilogy, #1)
  • Need You Now
  • Ruth (Brides of the West #5)
  • The Unexpected Gift (Sisters & Brides Series #3) (Love Inspired #319)
  • The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Tough
  • Katie's Dream: A Novel (The Wortham Family Series, #3)
Thomas Kinkade was known as the "Painter of Light." His works, although spurned by the secular art establishment. were very popular with Christians and many others.
More about Thomas Kinkade...
Home Song: A Cape Light Novel A New Leaf: Cape Light #4 (Kinkade, Thomas) The Christmas Angel (Cape Light #6) A Christmas Promise (Cape Light #5) A Gathering Place: A Cape Light Novel