Start by marking “Mrs. Tim Gets A Job” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Tim Gets A Job

Mrs. Tim Gets A Job (Mrs. Tim #3)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Mrs. Time Gets a Job is an amusing, entertaining story of Hester Christie's adventures in her first job. Old admirers of D. E. Stevenson will be delighted with this third volume in the series, and new readers will be charmed with Mrs. Tim's adventures.

With her husband still with his Regiment in Egypt, Mrs. Tim takes a job to fill the months before her husband's demobilizat
Hardcover, Large Print
Published by G. K. Hall & Company (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Tim Gets A Job, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Tim Gets A Job

Miriam
Mildly amusing account of a military wife's employment at a hotel while her husband is stationed overseas and her children are away at school. I enjoyed this quite a bit while reading it, although it didn't grab me as much as some of the earlier books in the series. But it was nice to see Hester (i.e. Stevenson) in a different sort of setting, actually realizing that she has skills. I did not miss her friend Grace, who never grew on me.

There was a passage of sociological interest: a discussion b
Ivonne Rovira
How had I forgotten how enjoyable Hester Christie was? D.E. Stevenson's Mrs. Tim novels recount ordinary life -- if during trying times; consequently, not a lot happens in Mrs. Tim Gets a Job. But, I promise, it won't matter.

Naturally, as per the title, Hester takes a position as an assistant manager at a manor-turned-small hotel near Edinburgh. During the course of the novel, one marriage breaks up while another seems imminent, thanks to some help with what seemed to be a doomed romance. The Ch
Rosemary
The third installment of D. E. Stevenson's "Mrs. Tim" series is a pure delight. The novels are written in journal form, and in this one, Hester Christie impulsively decides to take a job assisting a gruff hotel-owner in the Scottish borderlands when her landlord in Winfield suddenly terminates her lease.

Initially, Hester regrets the move, but as she slowly comes to know Erica Clutterback, her employer, she understands that Miss Clutterback's bark disguises a much more sensitive and literary nat
Debbie
This third in the series is laced with the theme of "what is happiness" which only adds to the depth and breadth of what I already love about this author.
Theresa
I thoroughly enjoyed "Mrs. Tim Gets a Job".

Hester Christie does not *want* a job. But her do-gooder friend Grace decides that with Tim away in Egypt and the children at boarding school, that her good friend Hester needs something to do. So she sets up a job at a country-estate-turned-hotel in Scotland.

"Well, anyhow," says Grace proudly, "the long and the short of it is I've found you a job."

"A job!"

"Yes, Hester, a job. You said you wanted a job, didn't you? And of course I understood exactly ho
Alisha
Oct 18, 2012 Alisha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Hester's husband is stationed in Egypt (World War II is over), and her two children are safely off to boarding school. What is she to do to while away her days? A friend tells her that a woman named Miss Clutterbuck has been forced to turn her family home into a hotel to make ends meet, and she badly needs an assistant. Hester takes up the job, but with many misgivings. This book is a fun look at how she gets to know her eccentric employer, try to patch up the lives of Major Elden and Miss McQue ...more
Beccie
Some favorite parts during this re-read:

Where Erica reads what the sewing group thinks is Jane Austen, but it is really nonsense she made up because she was annoyed by the women who claimed to "adore Jane!".

When the 2 American women were trying to see what makes British women tick. They said something about trying to find happiness in life and Hester asked them why they spend so much time trying to find happiness. The Americans are shocked and say it is in our Declaration of Independence. Hester
Another excellent story about Mrs. Tim (Hester Christie). Although not all previous favorites make it into this story we do get to see Pinkey Loudoun, Tony Morely and Grace.

The setting for 90% of this book is in Scotland where Hester has a job. Her children are off to boarding school and Tim is in Egypt.

Another hilarious and completely captivating story. How can the day to day life be so fascinating and interesting? It's the characters, it's the setting, it's the dialogue, the wit and charm and
Carolyn
This is the third Mrs. Tim novel. I enjoy Mrs. Tim's stories because they are good friends. Every year when I read D. E. Stevenson's books I realize how much novels have changed. Her books are high on characterization and humor. Mrs. Tim's desire to be busy while her children are in school and Tim is stationed in Africa places her in unusual circumstances when she works as the assistant manager at a rural hotel. She 'sorts out' an abrupt, blustery boss, a lonely hero and a lonely, mysterious wom ...more
Katharine Holden
Enjoyable sequel to Mrs. Tim of the Regiment (or, Mrs. Tim Christie). This one introduces a great character: Miss Erica Clutterbuck. She runs her ancestral home as a hotel, is rude to all the guests, eats her breakfast in the dining room with a screen up to prevent them talking to her, and has put notices in all the rooms that tell guests they must bring their own towels. Naturally, it's Mrs. Christie who points out that the guests won't see this notice until after they've arrived. There's a sap ...more
Susan
Mrs Tim, the wife of an English officer and mother of two, takes a job working at a Scottish manor turned boarding house. I enjoyed the Scottish setting and gentle humorous observations of character.

I read this book online via the Open Library, a wonderful resource for these hard to locate, older authors whose books are still in copyright.

Brenda
This is one of those books that you read slowly towards the end because you don't want to finish it. You don't want the story to be over. Now I must locate a copy of the last book in the series. Biblio here I come.
Jessica
I have read close to 30 of her books in the past two months, they are balm for the soul of a reader, especially someone who would rather be in England, in the country side.
Finished this--a grand adventure for Mrs. Tim! Really liked the characters in this one!
Lynn
I didn't like this as well as the other D.E. Stevenson books I've read.
Jeanette
Splendidly funny, charming and delightful. As usual.
Michelle
A gentle tale. Comforting but not amazing.
Julie R
Julie R marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Imelda
Imelda marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Kerrin
Kerrin marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Norma
Norma marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Karen E Turner
Karen E Turner marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Henrietta's War: News from the Home Front 1939-1942
  • Before Lunch
  • Few Eggs and No Oranges: The Diaries of Vere Hodgson 1940-45
  • Beware This Boy (Detective Inspector Tom Tyler, #2)
  • The Bird in the Tree (Eliots of Damerosehay, #1)
  • The Second-Last Woman in England
  • The Last Mission
  • A Summer in the Country
  • That Fatal Night: The Titanic Diary of Dorothy Wilton (Dear Canada)
  • What a Year!: A 26 Fairmount Avenue Book (26 Fairmount Avenue, #4)
  • The Shoebox Bible
  • Good Evening, Mrs Craven: The Wartime Stories of Mollie Panter-Downes
  • Behind That Curtain (Charlie Chan, #3)
  • China Court: The Hours of a Country House
  • A Rumpole Christmas
  • The Burry Man's Day (Dandy Gilver, #2)
Full name: Dorothy Emily Stevenson.
Cousin of Robert Louis Stevenson

D.E. Stevenson had an enormously successful writing career: between 1923 and 1970, four million copies of her books were sold in Britain and three million in the States. Like E.F. Benson, Ann Bridge, O. Douglas or Dorothy L. Sayers (to name but a few) her books are funny, intensely readable, engaging and dependable.
More about D.E. Stevenson...

Mrs. Tim (4 books)
  • Mrs. Tim Christie
  • Mrs. Tim Carries On
  • Mrs. Tim Flies Home
Miss Buncle's Book (Miss Buncle, #1) Miss Buncle Married The Two Mrs. Abbotts Mrs. Tim Christie The Four Graces