Start by marking “The Funny Thing Is...” as Want to Read:
The Funny Thing Is...

The Funny Thing Is...

3.63  ·  Rating Details ·  7,806 Ratings  ·  743 Reviews
Ellen DeGeneres published her first book of comic essays, the #1 bestselling My Point...and I Do Have One, way back in 1996. Not one to rest on her laurels, the witty star of stage and screen has since dedicated her life to writing a hilarious new book. That book is this book.
After years of painstaking, round-the-clock research, surviving on a mere twenty minutes of slee
Published October 28th 2003 by Simon Schuster

To ask other readers questions about The Funny Thing Is..., please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Chica Morena
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Dani Peloquin
Apr 07, 2012 Dani Peloquin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love Ellen (who doesn’t?!). I think that she’s funny, insightful, and incredibly wise. While I enjoy watching her show, I also loved her before she became the dancing, housewife heartthrob. It is for this reason that I picked up her book. More specifically, I got a copy of her audiobook so that I could listen to her read her book to me. I thought it would be like a private stand-up show with Ellen in my car. Sadly, it missed the most important ingredient...laughter.

In this book, Ellen has comp
Yuthika
Mar 02, 2017 Yuthika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw many bad reviews about this one, and was not too sure I'd like it. But it made me laugh - be it the brunch, the conversation with God, or the random ramblings! Ellen is always a delight. (I did prefer Seriously, I'm Kidding, though).
Kristie
Feb 20, 2017 Kristie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
I love Ellen. I think she is a genuinely funny and kind person. However, I think that a lot of her humor is due to her timing and presentation. I don't find that it comes across as well in her written work. It helps to imagine the book being told in her voice, but not enough to make me love it.
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Humorous
But if you're a lifelong fan you'll recognize some old school skits being placed in the chapters of this book
Huda Al-Anbar
Sep 11, 2014 Huda Al-Anbar rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
The Funny Thing Is...as I was listening to this audiobook:

1-Suddenly the thought of cleaning my room sounded appealing.
2-I watched the whole season of the cancelled CBC show Friends With Better Lives, 12 full episodes.
3-I organized my ebook library, shelving is as important as reading!
4-I decided to learn and make all kinds of breakfast eggs:scrambled, poached eggs, cheese omelet, and basically anything I could do with a 30 egg carton.

ANYTHING not to listen to this audiobook!! I appreciated that
BrokenTune
Sep 17, 2014 BrokenTune rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Oh, I wish I had read this before picking up Seriously ... I'm Kidding.

The Funny Thing is... did make me laugh - of course, it's Ellen after all - but, with the exception of a few chapters, it is not as coherent and thought-provoking as her next book. The Funny Thing is... is just that little bit too silly to be really funny. It's cute, tho.

Review first posted on BookLikes: http://brokentune.booklikes.com/post/...
Rossy
Nov 19, 2014 Rossy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE Ellen, but I don't love this book.
It's not funny! I'll admit I chuckled a couple times,but I actually fell asleep.
I still love her, though. ♡
Myra
Jan 21, 2008 Myra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ellen DeGeneres fans
Shelves: adult-lit-2008
I got this book for my birthday, along with DeGeneres' other book, and I jumped right into it. Here's a big surprise - I LOVED IT! Ellen DeGeneres is so talented and funny. Each chapter is in no way tied to the others, so it's not like readers are taking in an on-going story. DeGeneres rambles her way through the point that she is trying to make, and her ramblings only add to the humor. The chapter titled "A Scientific Treatise Regarding a Matter of Great Entomological Concern to All of Us" is a ...more
Debbie
Jan 06, 2017 Debbie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh...O-kay..
The problem with this one is that it's kind of old and I probably have heard most of these jokes or antidotes in some of her old stand up. Don't get me wrong, it was "chucklesome". (Like that word do you? Lol) But I wasn't laughing hard. This book didn't really tell much about her per se. I don't know if it was supposed to? It was a lot of randomness put into a book. When at the beginning she said she thought she'd fill the time prior to her show starting (her current talk show),
Callie Rose Tyler
Liked not loved, good not great. I love Ellen and thoroughly enjoyed Seriously...I'm Kidding(5 Stars) but this book just didn't pack the laughs I thought it would. It might be because it is an older book and I have heard this material before.

Once again I see that this is labeled biography/memoir, it isn't, it is a comedy book. The style is stream of consciousness/ridiculousness.

Oct 13, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“There are all sorts of books offering advice on how to deal with life-threatening situations, but where's the advice on dealing with embarrassing ones?”

Finished this in one afternoon because..
1. It's Ellen
2. I studied while listening
3. IT'S ELLEN.

Ellen is my favorite, and this book did a great job of showing her sense of humour. I listened to the audiobook and it felt just like watching her show. I wasn't the biggest fan of her diary portion when she was on tour, but everything else was hilari
Liralen
I love Ellen. She's funny, and fantastic, and an absolute icon. I'm just not entirely sure that her kind of comedy translates well into writing.

Oh, the book is humourous. I enjoyed it; I'm glad I read it; I'll probably keep an eye out for her other book. It's just also very disjointed and, because it is in print rather than verbal humour, lacks the delivery to make that final push.

Still, an entertaining read.
Linnea
May 20, 2016 Linnea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I'm writing this review about a month after listening to this I have to say: I remember mostly nothing about this book. Nonetheless I remember enjoying it: DeGeneres is a good and nuanced narrator, she has a clear voice and I like her humor so there you go. A fun listen and also not too long so the joke doesn't get old.
Julianne
Jan 19, 2016 Julianne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
{2.5 stars}

I LOVE Ellen, but this one just didn't quite do it. If you're interested in her books, I would highly recommend "Seriously... I'm Kidding."
Kate Powers
I don't like to give books anything below a 3 because hello if I ever write a book I want the same treatment. I think my biggest criticism was that a good portion of this was from her Here and Now comedy routine, where the jokes were way funnier (sometimes the theatrical hands and facial expressions are just so necessary). I also wish she would tell more truths about her life, but I guess that's like telling a fish to just try living on land for once.
Amy
Jul 13, 2009 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As funny as she is on TV, this was a yawn. Not good, since I listened to it while driving. I think I laughed out loud once or twice - very disappointing. She is so much better when she has people to play off, and I felt like there was very little sense of comic timing as she read, which is strange, because on TV she is a master. Maybe lack of facial expressions were a problem for an audio book too.
Salam Almahi
There were some funny bits (which though rare were Hilarious) but in general it felt like Ellen was somehow forced to write this book so it sounded like she was trying too hard to find random topics to talk about and put some humor into, unfortunately.. without success.
Jenn.
Apr 16, 2009 Jenn. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was not funny at all! What a complete waste of my time.
Lindsay
Apr 18, 2008 Lindsay rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Snooze...pretty awful.
Tea Time with Marce
From my blog

If you are a fan of Ellen your expectations will be met, no surprises, with Ellen, what you see is what you get. Ellen is silly and you enjoy laughing at her and with her. At times I rolled my eyes, laughed out loud, giggled to myself and said what the hell is she saying, oh right, ok that is so Ellen why did I fall that crap, lol.

Hands down my favourite chapter was Working it Out, about parallel parking, exercise, specifically her personal trainer. He tried to talk her out of eatin
Jessica
Nov 24, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
I am a fan of Ellen Degeneres BUT because this book was written 2003 I didnt expect too much. I am happy to say that I was pleasantly "suprised" (I knew it would be good even though the jokes werent up to date). I especially liked the part about skinny swedish legs and her wishing she was born in Sweden "like everyone else" Haha Sweden is as big as a flypoop next to America! I live in Sweden and I contantly wish I had been born in the US! She also said all Swedes eat healthy and have naturally h ...more
Vamsi19294
May 21, 2015 Vamsi19294 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
'The Funny Thing' is Nothing

I think it was written like this, Ellen might have started a journal to express her feelings about various concepts.
She wrote about ties, puppies, frustration, curiosity , her perception on various things.

Turns out some odd person might have liked it and they published her journal as book.
The interesting thing is there is nothing funny in this book at all.

You can start reading this from anywhere, right from middle or start from the end...it'll make perfect sense. (FY
Tess J
Jul 08, 2012 Tess J rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It took me way longer than it should have to read this book, and I think I figured out why. It was really monotonous. What works for Ellen on tv and in her stand-up specials is awful to read: the absurdity and light-hearted humor that I think defines her style makes a book that feels like trying to eat a tub or reddi-whip or something. Its light, familiar, and really fun for the first bite. But after 5 bites you're full of this homogenous cloying stuff and it's a struggle to finish the book. Ell ...more
Andrew
Feb 19, 2016 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
I could almost leave a rating off of this, because the rating is irrelevant. the reason for this is that some of these chapters are five-star hilarious and some were zero-star non-chapters.

A non-chapter is one which just passed and you didn't notice it, because nothing happened and if it did it was neither insightful nor funny.

And if there are things in a chapter which give me the wet giggles, that's five stars. The phrase "freshly washed monkey" is enough for me.

What does this mean? Who cares?
Namitha Varma
I'm not quite sure why I picked up this book or what I expected from this book, except that I thought I'd have a few laughs. Laugh I did, but in hardly 6 or 7 chapters out of the 28 chapters. The only sections that entertained me are: "My Most Embarrassing Case Scenario", "God, What a Day", "Gift Exchange", "Working It Out", "Smartishness", "The Controversial Chapter", "It's Just an Expression" and "Clothes I have Regretted Wearing". I did not find the her brand of humour the kind I could enjoy ...more
Celine Dubeau
I truly love Ellen as a person. She's generous, kind and such a ray of positivity. However I found myself not really enjoying this audiobook.

The main thoughts and direction of each chapter were cheeky and funny but every single tangent felt too scatter brain for me to enjoy. I wished Ellen would just stick to one train of thought.

I listened to the whole audiobook in one sitting while unpacking/cleaning my room and it was simply good background noise.
Robin
It hurts to give Ellen only 2 stars. The difference between performing stand-up and reading it is in the audience. And Ellen, who we know is brilliant and funny, just sounds a litle "is this thing on?" without an audience response. Much of this material is in her comedy act and plays better that way ("back to the happy place" and "that reminds me of Gloria Estefan."). It may also read well, but as an audio book, it tries too hard.
Drishi
Jan 24, 2017 Drishi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ellen is Hilarious. She's so funny. I have no idea why people gave lower ratings to this book because I was laughing my ass off.

I really really loved this book because it made me so very happy. I love laughing and this is by far the funniest book I've ever read. I'm definitely going to read all of Ellen's books.

The first half WAS funnier than the second. But I didn't care because the first half's humour made up for the lack of it in the second half. This was an amazing book. I loved it.
yoli
Jan 02, 2009 yoli rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
Am actually listening to the cassette version, thank you very much.

Listened to half this book and it just wasn't funny enough. Even the back cover blurb was funnier than the actual book in practice. I love Ellen but this was just too scattered and a little too outrageous to be funny, really. It was more puzzling and confusing than anything else.
Kyla
I have always appreciated Ellen's style of comedy and this book was no exception; I had to pause the audiobook more than once because I was laughing too hard to hear. I love when authors read their own books because you hear everything exactly how it was intended and, especially with a semiautobiographical book like this, it just makes it that much better.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #37 - The Funny Thing Is ... 1 2 Feb 09, 2016 11:19AM
  • The Truth Is . . .: My Life in Love and Music
  • My First Five Husbands..And the Ones Who Got Away
  • Plane Insanity
  • Here We Go Again: My Life In Television
  • Bouncing Back: I've Survived Everything... and I Mean Everything...and You Can Too!
  • Naked Beneath My Clothes: Tales of a Revealing Nature
  • Happy Accidents: A Memoir
  • Couplehood
  • Like Me: Confessions of a Heartland Country Singer
  • Billy Collins Live: A Performance at the Peter Norton Symphony Space
Ellen Lee DeGeneres is an American stand-up comedian, actress, and currently the Emmy Award-winning host of the syndicated talk show The Ellen DeGeneres Show.

She has hosted both the Academy Awards and the Primetime Emmys. As a film actress, she starred in Mr. Wrong, appeared in Edtv and The Love Letter, and provided the voice of "Dory" in the Pixar animated hit film Finding Nemo. She also starred
More about Ellen DeGeneres...

“You know, it's hard work to write a book. I can't tell you how many times I really get going on an idea, then my quill breaks. Or I spill ink all over my writing tunic.” 1324 likes
“Life is short. If you doubt me, ask a butterfly. Their average life span is a mere five to fourteen days.” 322 likes