Start by marking “The Case Is Closed” as Want to Read:
The Case Is Closed

The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver #2)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  1,042 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
In this classic British mystery, a revised will, a troubled upper-class marriage, and a witness who may be mad are keys to a seemingly solved murder case.
Marion Grey is growing used to the idea that her husband will never leave prison. After the horrors of a very public trial she is almost able to find relief in her resignation. But when new evidence suggests her husband
Published June 28th 2011 by Open Road Media Mystery & Thriller (first published 1937)

To ask other readers questions about The Case Is Closed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case Is Closed

Feb 09, 2016 Mo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 stars

The author relies a bit too much on coincidence, but I just don't give a hoot! This series feels easy and breezy and just plain fun!
May 20, 2015 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miss Maud Hephzibah Silver made her first appearance in 1929, but readers who met her then had an eight year wait before they could meer her again, in 1937’s ‘The Case is Closed’.

The story is engaging from the start: Hilary has stepped on to a train, after an argument with her fiancé, Henry, and because she had wanted to make a dramatic exit she had got on to the wrong train. As she watched for the next stop an elderly woman approached her, eager to speak to her quickly, while her husband was ou
Jan 03, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bettie, Dagny, Carey
Free download available at Faded Page.

Geoffrey Grey has been convicted of his uncle's murder but his wife and wife's cousin think he is innocent. Just before his murder Geoffrey's uncle, James changes his will to a nephew he has always disliked. Upon telling Geoffrey that he no longer his heir the older man is found dead in a locked room with the knife in Geoffrey's hand.

2* Beggar's Choice
2* A Marriage Under the Terror
TR The Fire Within
TR Devil's Wind

Miss Silver series:
3* Grey Mask (Miss Silver
Aug 24, 2013 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
3.5 stars. An enjoyable classic British mystery; I've been thirsting for one with a tad more romance after The Mystery of the Blue Train and this did the job admirably.

I've always found that the romances in Christie's mystery novels tend to be intense and capture the imagination but leave very much unsaid - not a negative by any means, particularly since they are crime/mystery novels first and foremost, but once in a while I also enjoy a more straightforward romance as a side plot. I found that
Aug 05, 2016 Damaskcat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first started reading Patricia Wentworth's Miss Silver books several years ago I somehow managed to miss this one out. I'm glad I have now come across it and read it. It is an interesting and well plotted mystery. Geoffrey Grey is in prison for murder on what seemed at the time to be incontrovertible proof of his guilt. But his wife, Marion and Hilary Carew, who lives with her are convinced he isn't guilty.

Hilary sets out on a quest to find out who is guilty or at least find evidence whic
May 11, 2015 Bettie☯ marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Description: This Miss Silver mystery focuses on the struggle for power in male-female relationships - on the light-hearted side, in the signature "nice young couple" (Hilary and Henry), while a villain displays dominance and abuse. We gain a picture of life among the well-bred if not well-fed as we follow Hilary's attempts to clear her cousin's husband Geoffrey, who has been convicted of the murder of his uncle. The attitudes and sensitivities of a different time are on display as Hilary's cous ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 Stars

Hilary, Marion Grey's cousin is heartbroken over the conviction and what it is doing to her cousin. When on a train she is confronted with James's cook she
Sep 10, 2014 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
What a wonderful premise for a book - beginning with a closed case of murder and a conviction and imprisonment of one who is hoped to be innocent. The moods of despair mingled with hopefulness was excellently done in this story. Although the first book in this Miss Silver series had her only playing a small role, she begins to come to the forefront as a discerning "inquiry agent", that is a private detective interested in cases where the results are that finally the truth comes out. Miss Silver ...more
Mar 23, 2015 Wendy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, miss-silver
I was about ready to close this case after the first chapter, but I kept reading and was interested enough in the plot to finish the book. But if you are looking for Miss Silver, she only appears in a few pages towards the end. So calling this a Miss Silver book is really stretching the truth.
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver #2), Patricia Wentworth
May 14, 2016 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun series!
I've been reading Patricia Wentworth recently; first Grey Mask, now The Case is Closed and then a third, Lonesome Road, and there's definitely a template she uses for these mysteries.

***Spoiler alert***

It's especially obvious in the first two - the villains, whether prime movers or bit players are men, written in a way that is coded as gay, with 'bert' as part of their first name (Egbert/Bertram); the protagonist is a young, impetuous, willow-slim heroine, proud and gallant; while her heroic mal
Oct 06, 2016 Arlene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good read my first time reading a book by this particular writer. I did find it interesting that the detective Miss Silver really doesn't do a lot of detective work, actually she's not in the book a lot at all but a good read.
Andrea Michou
Oct 03, 2016 Andrea Michou rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again I must say I love her style, the little romantic parts, the suspense both oldfashioned and gripping, the atmosphere of a black and white movie - although no Cary Grant in this one :-D
Sep 13, 2015 Mandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: golden age of mystery fans
Shelves: library, mystery
Originally published on Unravellations.

It was all right. I skipped over some pages with what I found to be unnecessary details. Not sure if I'm just an impatient mystery reader or if I'm just not used to Wentworth's style of writing. I've been reading tons of Agatha Christie before, so while there are elements of similarity, the narrative style and plot structure are significantly different.

The mystery in itself was somewhat interesting. I agreed with the main character Hilary when she said, "To
Evelyn Brooks
Sep 26, 2016 Evelyn Brooks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! Read this in one sitting!

Wentworth's suspense writing is at its finest in this fast-paced suspense thriller that had me alternately gasping and wringing my hands. Seriously! If you think an 80-year-old novel is going to be tame, set down your tea or coffee so you don't spill it when you begin shrieking. This is going on my "read this one again" short list.
Aug 16, 2015 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most interesting aspect of this book, to me, was the structure of it. It’s not an inverted mystery, where you know the killer from the beginning, and the story focuses on how the criminal will be arrested, but it did have a twist to its set-up: as it starts, the crime has already been committed quite some time previously, and the accused has already been arrested and is in jail. As in the title, it appears that everything is over and done with; the case is closed.
What is happening as the boo
Gary Sundell
Sep 20, 2016 Gary Sundell rated it really liked it
The second of the Miss Silver series. A really solid mystery. Miss Silver does not enter the story until about the half way point. A young man is convicted of murdering his uncle. He claims the uncle was dead when he arrived. All the evidence indicates he is guilty.
Jan 19, 2015 William rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really want to give this one star but begrudgingly have to give it two. It earns the second star because the characters are passable and because there are some passages that the highlighter-wielding reader will certainly relish.

However, as a mystery, TCIC is an absolute failure. No Christie reader will fail to have this one wrapped up, and there's really nothing of interest at the core of the affair. I saw a review saying that Miss Silver seemed cleverer than Marple, but my goodness, she hardl
I've always felt that Miss Silver books deserved wider readership. I hope having them in e-book will make this happen. I greatly enjoyed rereading this second book in the series. It's a lovely tale of a young woman who finds herself tangled up in a cold case - of murder.

This book has many of the elements of a typical Golden Age mystery. Railroad time tables, bicycling down country roads, butlers, cooks, and deaf neighbors all figure in. However, this isn't Agatha Christie and Miss Silver isn't
Mar 16, 2016 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've decided to read through the Miss Silver mysteries as I can find them. This one was not as much fun as some of the others I read. All the characters are emotionally overwrought.

Hilary and Henry's romance, where he tries to be the boss of her and she tries to manage him, is not admirable. When they remember that they love each other and believe in each other, it's nice, but most of the time he treats her likes she's a child, and too often, she is Too Stupid to Live (TSTL).

Marion is beautiful
I finished this book over the weekend. It was a short novel and moved satisfyingly fast through the fairly straight forward plot. The characters, at least the key ones, were engagingly drawn. The lead pair, Hilary and Henry, are immediately engaging and their lovers' tiff is sweet. But I must say that was the best part of the book- which is not great news for a murder mystery book. Maybe it is because of my having been weaned on Ms Christie but I do expect the author of a whodunit to be a conjur ...more
Andrea Hickman Walker
Nov 15, 2013 Andrea Hickman Walker rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
I imagine there comes a point when all the good mystery plots have already been used. I'm fairly sure every good writer has tried their hand at this one (I know both Agatha Christie and Colin Dexter have, at the very least) - a murder case, fairly clear who killed the victim, murderer tried, found guilty and that's it. Except that isn't it, because someone is convinced they're innocent (and, of course, they're right because where's the story if they're not (and all of a sudden The murder of Roge ...more
Dec 26, 2012 Spuddie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have found that with these books, it takes me awhile to get into them, because there is such a lot of dialogue and setting the stage for the mystery. Miss Silver, the detective, doesn't even enter the scene until midway through the book, and she is very much a background character. The mystery is quite clever, although I have to admit I did figure out the main part of it well in advance. The clues are fairly obvious. The stories are a bit dated (this one was written in 1937) and there's too mu ...more
Rob Smith
Oct 31, 2013 Rob Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
My first of the Miss Silver series and really didn't get to know Miss Silver much as all, as she arrives late in the story and is more of a guide to end the mystery than anything.

The story is a very good mystery and the writing is just terrific. Unlike current books of today that are excessive with needless words, Wentworth is an actual writer that knows how to set a scenes and unribbon the story. Her descriptions and character development are outstanding. Really enjoyed the interaction of chara
Feb 03, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Hilary and Henry used to be engaged, but after their last argument, Hilary gets into the wrong train just to avoid him. There she meets a frightened woman who clearly knows something about the case of Hilary’s cousin’s husband, currently serving a 25-year sentence for murder. So, Hilary begins investigating. Someone knows the truth, but they aren’t telling. Hilary is a great character, with a poet imp who constantly pipes up at the wrong (right?) moment, but she needs help. Who to ask, but Henry ...more
Jul 15, 2016 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Geoffrey Grey has been found guilty of the murder of his uncle but his wife's cousin Hilary believes his is innocent. When she meets the cook of the Uncle, she believes evidence of his innocence has been hidden and continues to investigate. Miss Silver doesn't really make an appearance until about half way through, but with the help of Hilary's boyfriend Henry the guilty party are brought to justice.
Hoping that Miss Silver gets more involved in the next book, and that there is less repetition i
The Everton case is long closed. His nephew, Geoffrey, is accused of his murder. Hilary is a cousin of Geoffrey's wife, and she doesn't believe he's guilty. After a chance encounter with a woman involved in the case, Hilary starts to investigate, coming close to being murdered herself. Her fiancee gets involved and involves Miss Silver in the investigation.

Much of the book revolves around Hilary, but the case is reinvestigated and the truth comes out.
Nov 13, 2008 Muriel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2008, mystery
This was a wonderful cosy mystery and I thoroughly enjoyed it even though I figured out the culprit early on. This is part of the Maud Silver series but she barely appears which I found a little strange yet very refreshing. I really loved that we got to know the characters involved in the actual mystery before the detective was introduced as they were all quite lovely, Hilary in particular! I'll definitely be picking up more of this series.
I give up. After 100+ pages I just found it too easy to put this book down. The two females were driving me crazy, one was so pathetic because of the situation she found herself in, and the other played at amateur sleuth and while her questions may have yielded some importance, I don't think she knew what she had.

Miss Silver still hadn't made an appearance at this point in the book.

I really didn't care who murdered who, who did it, who found out or who might be next.

• Pearls Before Swine (Albert Campion Mystery #12)
  • The Unfinished Clue
  • The Affair of the Mutilated Mink (Burford Family Mysteries, #2)
  • Died in the Wool (Roderick Alleyn, #13)
  • Death at the Opera (Mrs. Bradley, #5)
  • Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4)
  • A Mysterious Affair of Style
  • The Breaking Point
Patricia Wentworth--born Dora Amy Elles--was a British crime fiction writer.

She was educated privately and at Blackheath High School in London. After the death of her first husband, George F. Dillon, in 1906, she settled in Camberley, Surrey. She married George Oliver Turnbull in 1920 and they had one daughter.

She wrote a series of 32 classic-style whodunnits featuring Miss Silver, the first of wh
More about Patricia Wentworth...

Miss Silver (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Grey Mask (Miss Silver, #1)
  • Lonesome Road (Miss Silver, #3)
  • Danger Point (Miss Silver, #4)
  • The Chinese Shawl (Miss Silver, #5)
  • Miss Silver Deals With Death (Miss Silver, #6)
  • The Clock Strikes Twelve (Miss Silver, #7)
  • The Key (Miss Silver, #8)
  • She Came Back (Miss Silver, #9)
  • Pilgrim's Rest (Miss Silver, #10)
  • Latter End (Miss Silver, #11)