Start by marking “Dave Barry Talks Back” as Want to Read:
Dave Barry Talks Back

Dave Barry Talks Back

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,496 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Yet another collection of Barry wit and wisdom by the Pulitzer Prize-winning humorist and the author of Dave Barry Turns 40.
Published December 29th 2010 by Crown Archetype (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Dave Barry Talks Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dave Barry Talks Back

Chris
This is a compilation of Dave Barry's columns from the late 80s and early 90s. Even though I remember reading some of them in the Miami Herald, I laughed all over again. I laughed a lot. It's the perfect kind of book to pick up and read just one or two chapters when you need a little pick me up. What can I say, the man is a national treasure, booker jokes and all.
Paul Beimers
Feb 04, 2015 Paul Beimers rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who: enjoy laughing.
A tad slow at first, but the latter half contains some uproariously funny pieces that more than make up for the more apathetic beginning (which is humorous, of course, but was only able to get the occasional chuckle out of me). His bits on car radio and "Mr. Language Person" (a staple of his that never ceases to entertain) are particularly great, and had me laughing all the way through.

It's unfortunate that the adaptation process to an e-book format was apparently rather sloppily handled, as the
Jenny
Oct 23, 2009 Jenny rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenny by: Dad
I certainly believe we could all use more laughter in our lives, so even though Dave Barry is fairly formulaic, I grew up reading him, and Dad sent me this for a few giggles. Such as...

--"the U.S. Senate (motto: "White Mail Millionaires Working for You")" (p 21)

--re Canada, "Also it has a spirit of general social cooperation that you find lacking in the States, a good example being the metric system. You may recall that a while back we were all supposed to convert to the metric system from our c
Michelle Welch
Pure nostalgia. I checked this out after reading Barry's review of 50 Shades, which has been making the internet rounds, to my husband. Remarkably, he'd never heard of Dave Barry, and I had to catch him up on this staple of late-80s newspaper columns. This collection of humor articles is "I Remember When" for the sarcastic Gen-X set.
Weston Locher
This volume of hilarity collects Dave Barry columns that are either inspired by ideas sent in by his readers, answers their questions, or invoked some kind of big response.

If you're a fan of Barry then you already know what you're getting: 800 words of funny per column. We watch him tackle subjects ranging from his dogs, to the giant Florida spiders that live around his house, to his own personal airline, as well as his bid to run in the 1996 Presidential election.

Barry never ceases to leave you
Simon
This book was okay, what I liked most about it was the backgrounds on all the latest technology and world history that since the time of this book's publication, have changed. I know things that at the time this book was written, people had no idea.

With the way the Nintendo game system was going to work out and who the next President of the United States would be. I even knew that the wife Dave Barry talks about over and over and how she is devoted and he to her, and it all seems great, but Bar
Mars
As is usual with Dave Barry, he has some good jokes, he has some long and winding and not-very-entertaining passages, he makes some horrifyingly accurate predictions, such as exploding whales (note: the images and subject matter are pretty disturbing: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4096586/ )
he shares his opinions on life, airplanes, hotels, his large main dog Earnest and small emergency backup dog Zippy, medicine, and other things.

the noise-to-signal ratio is close to 0 (just about 50% of what he
Chris
Jun 28, 2011 Chris rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Dave Barry
Shelves: fiction, humor
If your a fan of Dave Barry and enjoy his books then this book is for you but as a first time reader to Dave Barry's work, the stories and humor were a bit trite. I found many one or a few things funny in his humor but mostly everything was nothing that great. I understand that probably when this book came out in the early 1990's that this stuff must have been funny but having seen this kind of humor played out in so many ways, I guess it just took the fun out of reading it. For me, it felt like ...more
I LOVED Dave Barry's column back in the day. He is hilarious!
Amy
I have always enjoyed Dave Barry's sense of humor and this book didn't let me down. This book is basically a bunch of his columns collected and reprinted in book form. This is great for me since we don't get his column in our local paper. Of course, we no longer get the local paper anymore. But anyway, I enjoyed the opportunity to read columns I had missed previously. I especially liked the one about Mr. language person and all the crazy things done to the English language. If you enjoy Dave Bar ...more
Bonnie
Dave Barry is hilarious, his take on everyday situations are right on and laughable. I grew up reading his column and now read books he has co-authored, ie. Peter and the Star Catchers series. He also wrote a book Big Trouble which was later made into a great movie which makes me laugh everytime I see it. It is worth seeing (disclaimer: there is strong use of OMG at the begining of the movie but not after that, so if you are sensitive to this beware)
Stanley Cramer
This guy is just flat out funny. I've read virtually everything he has published and now look forward to reading his novels. Who'd a thunk it! Dave Barry becomes Mark Twain. You go guy!
Betsey
I was looking for something funny to read, and I do enjoy Dave Barry, so I picked this book up. Not only is he hilarious, he is one of Haverford College's few famous alums! This book made me laugh out loud and I forced my husband to listen to me read parts. It's a great book to read before bed when you want to just relax and not worry about anything. Barry really has a gift!
Paul
Jun 10, 2013 Paul rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Paul by: Dave Barry
Dave Barry uses humor and sarcasm to address the state of the world as he sees it, with particular emphasis on letters he's received in response to previous material he's published.

This book was laugh-out-loud funny at times, particularly about a quarter of the way through it. Further along, my appreciation was diminished because it was a little too much of the same thing.
Jessica
I've read this book a million times. Each chapter stands by it's self and they're all hilarious, but most notably this one about his dog having multiple accidents on a new oriental rug. He actually calculates the square footage of his house and the square footage of the rug and figures out the odds that his dog beat to have diarrhea four times on this rug. Funny diatribe.
Heather Hay
Sep 05, 2010 Heather Hay rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those with a pulse.
Shelves: comedic, audio-book
What I learned from this book... er, well if he was "not making this up" when he said he was than I would say I learned alot. The audiobook made my rides home fly by and I am sure my abnoxious laughter annoyed others at traffic lights. I don't know why I resisted reading his books before but now I know where to find my next funny audiobook.
Colleen
Sep 21, 2007 Colleen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love to laugh out loud
I learned not to take myself, anyone else, or life in general seriously. I also found a funny piece on why guys never call back that I'm planning to give to one of them. He's sure to feel gobs of guilt after laughing his arse off.
Gayle
I loved Dave Barry's newspaper columns and his book on American History made me laugh out loud. This one had some cute moments but overall it wasn't really that funny. He does have a way with words though.
Brycedwyer
I was really into Dave Barry in junior high. I sent him a fan letter once and he wrote back. And then I met him at a book signing and he remembered my letter. It was boyhood triumph.
Ronni
Aug 30, 2007 Ronni rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with a wry sense of humor
Dave Barry is the one person who can ALWAYS make me laugh, even when I am in a foul mood. I just like to take this book from my shelf and randomly read an entry to make myself smile.
Miriam
I was delighted to find a Dave Barry book I hadn't read yet, even if some of the columns collected therein were familiar. Earlier Barry is always particularly great fun.
Duane
If you want a good laugh, you can't go wrong with anything Dave Barry writes. In this book, he tackles such subjects as : Stress tests, Deficits, Manhood, and so much more!
Roberta Marro
Sound recording. A compilation of Barry's columns--mostly about exploding livestock. Funny if you like Dave Barry.
Lauren
Hilarious of course, but I listened to it recorded, and I feel the reader didn't quite do Dave's comedy justice.
Rob
Best section in the entire book: the 'reproduction' of trying to find something on the radio other than insanity.
Sara
Oh, Dave Barry. I'm still upset the newspaper didn't bring him back after his yearlong hiatus in the early 00s.
Margaret
Pretty funny - and as Dave often says - I'm not making this up - I actually laughed out loud in a few spots.
Margaret Moller
This book is full of articles from Dave Barry's newspaper column. I was constantly laughing out loud.
Erika
Another often laugh-out-loud funny collection of Barry's humor columns from his time at the Miami Herald.
Liz
I'm still grinning after finishing this book for the umpteenth time. Dave Barry strikes again!
This is the audiobook edition 1 3 Oct 27, 2011 02:21PM
  • The Chickens are Restless
  • All I Know About Animal Behavior I Learned In Loehmann's Dressing Room
  • The Grasshopper Trap
  • More Anguished English: An Exposé of Embarrassing Excruciating, and Egregious Errors in English
  • Dogbert's Top Secret Management Handbook
  • No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
  • Ranting Again
  • Say Hello to Cactus Flats: A FoxTrot Collection
  • The Late Night with David Letterman Book of Top Ten Lists
  • Scrum Bums: A Get Fuzzy Collection
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as
More about Dave Barry...
Peter and the Starcatchers (Peter and the Starcatchers, #1) Peter and the Shadow Thieves (Peter and the Starcatchers, #2) Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3) Big Trouble Peter and the Sword of Mercy (Peter and the Starcatchers, #4)