Start by marking “If You Love This Planet: A Plan to Save the Earth” as Want to Read:
If You Love This Planet: A Plan to Save the Earth

If You Love This Planet: A Plan to Save the Earth

“Helen Caldicott has the rare ability to combine science with passion, logic with love, and urgency with humor.” —Naomi Klein

From the leader and spokeswoman of the antinuclear movement comes a revised and updated edition of this groundbreaking, widely acclaimed classic. Exploring dangerous global trends such as ozone depletion, global warming, toxic pollution, food contami

Published September 30th 2009 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published February 28th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about If You Love This Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You Love This Planet

Barbwire Sugarbeet
This was alright. As a seasoned veteran of the environmental movement, Dr. Caldicott is hard to refute. Although she doesn't really bring up any sort of plan for change other than the 'vote with your money' argument, and about halfway through you really (if you hadn't already gotten) that she's just repeating herself about the poisons we choose to live with, this one's worth a read if you need a reality check in terms of what we consume and the effects that has on the world around us. Yup.
Tonile {My Cup and Chaucer}
I started reading this book for uni and finished it because it was extraordinary. Helen Caldicott presents an entertaining yet informative picture of the world today and what we can do to save our planet. Written not as a textbook but more as a narrative, Caldicott explores threats to our planet such as population growth and global warming, and presents realistic and well-informed plans of attack to protect our planet
regina
Jun 20, 2007 regina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: environmentalists
Shelves: non-fiction
Wow! I learned A LOT from this book.

It started out pretty slow and was pretty hard to read because a lot of the predictions were for years that I had already lived through / in.

Once I was further into it, the examples and predictions really impacted me, and make me change the way I looked at an ordinary plastic bottle.

Not the most up-to-date but a solid read.
Linda I
Caldicott is one of the most interesting and compelling woman advocates for societal reforms I've ever had the pleasure of reading and meeting. Her arguments concerning public health and the environment are wonderfully laid out, though not completely original.
Matthew Matheson
Read all of Helen Caldicott Books
works for the Nuclear Policy Research Institute
Mary Dunn
Dec 04, 2008 Mary Dunn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book by another of my heros; Dr. Helen Caldicott. Look her work up.
Michael
Jun 02, 2010 Michael marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
This book is well written, but it's just too depressing to finish.
Damian
Aug 22, 2016 Damian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like it because of factual errors and generic anti corporate drivel.

Examples
P 30: she brings up the GM LA streetcar conspiracy. She is wrong. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gener...

P 33. She asks for legislation mandating solar designed houses without regard to costs or effectiveness of a federal mandate.

P 57: she asks us to dump our packaging on the grocery checkout area in order to encourage grocery stores to buy more bulk goods. Idiotic
Chrissy
Nov 16, 2015 Chrissy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She devastates you with the breath of facts and yet inspires you with her passion.
Jrohde
Oct 24, 2011 Jrohde rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: natural-history
a rewritten and up to date classic in the field of environment - articulate and passionate - a real must to motivate. I not finished yet - more later - I finished this about a year ago and find it a classic that has warned about the human threat to life on this earth. She is articulate and needs to be read. Hoefully the Obama efforts to curtail nuclear weapons is a start....
Patricia Finley
Patricia Finley rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2016
Amanda Lindell
Amanda Lindell rated it did not like it
Jul 31, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Patrick Cooley
Patrick Cooley rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2016
Kiana
Kiana rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2016
Azniv
Azniv marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Michelle Nathan
Michelle Nathan rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Pearlyn Sim
Pearlyn Sim is currently reading it
Dec 04, 2015
Hakan Braxton
Hakan Braxton rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2015
Rachel Cross
Rachel Cross marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Jessie Sevener
Jessie Sevener rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2015
Miranda
Miranda marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Karen
Karen added it
Oct 06, 2015
Léa
Léa marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Steve Layman
Steve Layman rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2015
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Katie Jester
Katie Jester marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015