Start by marking “Nuclear Power Is Not the Answer” as Want to Read:
Nuclear Power Is Not the Answer

Nuclear Power Is Not the Answer

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  11 reviews

In a world torn apart by wars over oil, politicians have increasingly begun to look for alternative energy sources?and their leading choice is nuclear energy. Among the myths that have been spread over the years about nuclear-powered electricity are that it does not cause global warming or pollution, that it is inexpensive, and that it is safe.
Helen CaldicottOCOs look at
Published September 1st 2007 by New Press (first published September 20th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Nuclear Power Is Not the Answer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nuclear Power Is Not the Answer

D Books
Since I work in the healthcare field, I really couldn’t understand the technical side of this book when it delved into kilowatts and petajules production by nuclear power plants. However, I did work my way through this type of language and got the jest of this book: we need to use more clean renewable energy sources rather than continue down the road of building more nuclear power plants and using the energy produced by them. The author does tend to sound slightly paranoid when she repeatedly di ...more
Matt
A short overview of the problem of nuclear power - from the costs and heavy government subsidies to the damage done to the environment and nearby communities. Caldicott predicts that another meltdown on the level of Chernobyl would essentially change public opinion and make building new nuclear power plants a risky investment. With what is going on in Japan, we're starting to see some of that. However, the bigger problem is that these plants were only built to last 40 years, meaning we have agin ...more
Dan Sharber
i have a good friend who is real left wing and very concerned about the environment. he is so concerned about rising co2 concentrations in the atmosphere and our need to reduce them immediately that he has said we should use nuclear power generation to get off fossil fuels. i never agreed with that logic but i was usually stumped as to how to make a clear, concise and compelling argument against it. this book has given me the tools i need to do just that. nuclear power is in no way clean. the ma ...more
Tim Janakos
Of course I appreciate everything Helen has written and all the incredible work she has done to expose the lies of the nuclear power industry, but even though I find this book very enlightening, I also naturally find it quite depressing. But as a Bodhisattva, I'm called upon to go to where the suffering and injustice is, to bring light to it and change it. So I have to keep reading her works.
Andy
I highly recommend this. we definitely need better answers to our energy crisis....Ms Caldicott is very well-versed in nuclear power. She rebuffs the critics with her facts and plain-english use describing the nuclear industry, its dis and misinformation, as well the past history and what we have to look forward to..
Deepgeek
The true cost includes Uranium mining deaths, mining CO2 emisssions, reprocessing chloroflorocarbon emmisions. Effects of Thermal as well as chemical and nuclear pollution are examined as well. If you are a "Geek" by nature, you will love the progression of cold hard facts to a scientific conclusion.
Sara
Nov 28, 2007 Sara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who would like to keep living & breathing
Shelves: non-fiction
You could either take the time to go read this very interesting and well-researched book or just take my word for it when I say, on behalf of Helen Caldicott: the promise of nuclear power is a compromised, sordid lie that you would do best to spit upon.
John
Great overview of the main issues involved in the use of nuclear power. I hadn't realized the scope of the dangers, especially the continued risks to miners and their communities, and the limited reserves of uranium that can be easily processed.
Matthew Matheson
Beamish13
Beamish13 marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Tom Schneitter
Tom Schneitter marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Kylee Mae
Kylee Mae marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Mark Julius
Mark Julius marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Bhanu Pratap
Bhanu Pratap marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Xiaojun Sun
Xiaojun Sun marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Jewel
Jewel marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Jaccie
Jaccie marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Muhammed A.  Zidan
Muhammed A. Zidan marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Andy Caffrey
Andy Caffrey marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Okan Ergul
Okan Ergul marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The New Nuclear Danger: George W. Bush's Military-Industrial Complex If You Love This Planet: A Plan to Heal the Earth Missile Envy: The Arms Race and Nuclear War Loving this Planet: Leading Thinkers Talk About How to Make a Better World NUCLEAR MADNESS (Bantam Book)