Start by marking “Effigies” as Want to Read:
Effigies

Effigies (Faye Longchamp #3)

Faye Longchamp and Joe Wolf Mantooth have traveled to Neshoba County, Mississippi, to help excavate a site near Nanih Waiya, the sacred mound where tradition says the Choctaw nation was born.When farmer Carroll Calhoun refuses the archaeologists' request to investigate an ancient Native American mound, Faye and her colleagues are disappointed. But his next action breaks th ...more
Published May 27th 2010 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Effigies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Effigies

Brick ONeil
Jan 20, 2015 Brick ONeil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She creates a vivid archeological dig, that is both realistic in theme and nature. The characters are 3-dimensional with outside interests other than the plot, there are misleading clues as well as hidden agendas. I so wish many writers would take the time to craft such a well-written, thought-out plot.

Place is important and can be a character in and of itself. In Effigies, place is very important but doesn't overshadow the characters, rather, becomes impetus for their actions (or lack thereof).
Amy
Jun 28, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good mystery, this story (#3 in the Faye Longchamp archaeologist series) is a little dry at first, but really takes off as the story progresses.

Effigies, set in Neshoba County, MS, finds Faye and friend, Joe Wolf Mantooth excavating a site near Nanih Waiya, the sacred mound where tradition says the Choctaw nation was born. When farmer Carroll Calhoun refuses archaeologists' request to investigate an ancient Native American mound, Faye and her colleagues are disappointed, but when he tries to b
Joan
Feb 25, 2013 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With this third book, this series is getting better and better. Looking forward to the next.
Jen
Faye and Joe are off on another archaeological adventure in the Deep South, this time as assistants on one of Faye's grad school professor's summer digs in Mississippi. They are supposed to be excavating on the property of their Choctaw co-worker's family, but all of the archaeologists on the team are more interested in what appears to be an old Indian mound on the property of the farm across the road. They give up on it after a run-in with the property owner, but when a local farmer turns up mu ...more
Gramy
In this book, Faye is still trying to discover what she wants to do with her life. She cares for and depends on Joe much more than she realizes yet. They are good for each other. He is extremely intelligent, especially in nature, but has deficiencies with book learning.

In this book, Faye Longchamp and Joe Wolf Mantooth join an archaeological team in Mississippi researching Choctaw heritage. Their work did not produce the artifacts they had hoped to find. But a racial mystery from years past was
Kristen
This is the third book of the Faye Longchamp series. In this one, Faye and Joe are in Mississippi on another archeological site, when there's a lot of problems there. First, there's this mound that the owner won't let anybody touch. During a protest, they're almost bulldozed over in the way. Then, during a chase, there's a murder, where everyone's a suspect, when they find an arrowhead. At a fair, a popular politician announces he was almost lynched by a KKK member, back in the 60s, when racial ...more
scherzo♫
Apr 22, 2013 scherzo♫ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
3 stars because of Mrs. Nail's folk tales (mostly Choctaw).

Quote:
p. 73
"Historically, there's been a lot of racism sort of built into archaeology. Take the wheel. None of America's indigenous peoples invented the wheel. For a long time, that meant they were considered to be less technologically sophisticated than the rest of the world. Then somebody said: 'Hey! They didn't have horses, or any other animal big enough to haul a cart. And a lot of those civilizations were built in muddy or hilly pl
Terri
Jun 07, 2015 Terri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book #3 was just as good as the first two. Faye Longchamp and Joe are some of my favorite characters but I will always love Book #1 the best. After reading all the books in the series, I may change my mind but that's how it is now.

I love how the relationships develop between the characters that are total strangers in the beginning. Faye just seems to be one of those people that is everybody's friend. I think it's partly due to her background and the prejudices she's had to deal with.

I especiall
Pamela B.
Dec 22, 2014 Pamela B. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rereading
This book brought up so many viewpoints on archeological exploration, that of the government, native tribes, scholars and landowners. And a raging war was fought, with surprising twists and turns, from the first page. I dearly love the challenge of researching facts brought up by an author, and it wasn't but a few chapters in when I looked up Poverty Point, the prehistoric earthworks shaped like an amphitheater, in Louisiana. After this, the third in the series, I feel I could make my way around ...more
Deb
Jun 27, 2011 Deb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3rd in the series...i like this author a lot. she takes her writing seriously and really investigates the history of the story she is basing the mystery upon. Plus the characters r fun. this book takes place in mississippi w/the choctaw indian tribe....very interesting history about this tribe that one can learn by reading this book....i did figure out the "killer" early on, but since it is an archeological mystery and i learned a lot about history and the choctaws, i enjoyed it. She gives sever ...more
Rowan
Feb 20, 2012 Rowan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery readers, archaeology buffs, Southern lit readers
Faye Longchamp continues her archaeological career digging a site in Mississippi. We meet the local Choctaw Band and a variety of local folks. The dig is relatively accurately portrayed but isn't the meat of the story. The Neshoba County Fair brings out the politicians, local and regional, and a mystery near-lynching from the 1960's stirs up the local folks and embroils Faye in another mystery. This series has gotten better with each of these first three books and I am happily digging into book ...more
Sam Berretti
Aug 08, 2013 Sam Berretti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mary Anna Evans weaves a fine tapestry of mystery, characters, historical fact and science into a novel that’s easy to read and hard to put down. Like the others in the Faye Longchamp series, we are introduced to the world of archaeology in a way that is neither dry nor too technical for the lay reader. Anyone can enjoy this series. Longchamp is a compelling character, a researcher who is outspoken, smart and adventurous. The plot is intriguing and comes with a twist. The wonderful thing about M ...more
Mary Black
This book is like a police procedural, only about archaeology instead. Just as in real archaeological work, the discussions of archaeological processes in the book is rather slow and dull. But the protagonist Faye Longchamp is a young woman with lots of curiosity and a bit of daring. She takes up the hunt for the man or men who savagely beat a prominent black man when he was young and winds up discovering more than she ever thought possible. Perhaps even an intact effigy mound, a wonderful treas ...more
Donna
Jul 19, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2012
One thing I really like about this series is the historical knowledge worked into the stories. This one focuses on the remnant of the Choctaw population that wasn't relocated to Oklahoma. It also included some interesting bonus information from the author. I was glad to see her explain a bit about the evolution that the character of Joe is undergoing as it had seemed rather unrealistic. It makes more sense now and offers insight into how a character can take a different path from the one the aut ...more
Helen
Jul 17, 2015 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed book #3 in the Faye Longchamp series. Continuing her archeological studies, Faye is off to Mississippi for an excavation related to Choctaw culture. As in her other books, somebody turns up dead and Faye jumps in to investigate. There are a lot of twists and turns and a delightful sharing of Native American folk tales. Great combination of police procedural type investigating, archaeology and Indian lore.
Patty
Aug 25, 2010 Patty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this series, but then I've always like the world of archeology. I greatly admire their attempts to document history while not totally destroying the things that many people hold dear. The Native American's have suffered greatly in this, being moved around the country, having their sacred grounds dug up, etc. The delicate balance that Faye is trying to keep in this book rings very true for me.

I plan on reading more in this fascinating series.
Arizonagirl
Faye Longchamp series, book #3. Faye and Joe are in Mississippi excavating a site on the Choctaw Nation. There is a lot of racial tension between the African Americans, the whites, and the Choctaw. A white farmer is murdered in his field next to a secret marijuana field after he refused to let the archeologists excavate near the Indian mound on his site.
Lindy
Nov 01, 2015 Lindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
An easy read - perfect for summer. Enough characters to make it interesting for a mystery, enough detail to pique one's interest but also fine to set down, go get something done and walk back to it...well except for the part where our favorite character - who's enjoyably unique and interesting - get's ... nah, not going to spoil it :D Have fun reading this one!

Barbara
Sep 30, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slave reparations? The suggestion/proposal for lump sum distribution of money to bring individuals into the middle class is particularly attention-grabbing when the middle class is vanishing (has vanished?) in the 21st century. Makes one think...even more than usual :-)

I love the archaeology in these books. I'm learning a lot and it is really interesting!
Sherron L Pace
Sep 06, 2016 Sherron L Pace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Effigies

This is a great story and I love the fact it contains many facts that are based upon fact and that reference for those facts are given. Thanks so much to author Mary Anna Evans for the research and the telling of this edition of this series. This is a truly great way to spend time with a book.
Catherine
I enjoy Mary Anna's series of Faye Longchamp mysteries. I'm a little behind - the 4th book has come out now, so I had to catch up and read this one. It was fun to find her books at the Mystery Book Store nearby in Westwood, LA.
Glenn Harris
Sep 22, 2012 Glenn Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another excellent entry in the Faye Longchamp series. Well written, well-plotted, with interesting and fully developed characters. I don't know why this series isn't better known. I'm glad there are more yet to read.
Dev Singer
For some reason I couldn't get into the Native American tales in this one. I did love that Faye saved not only her own butt but her friends', all on her own. Just what I had asked for when reviewing the previous book!
Barbara M
Number three in the series and the achaeology is still interestig. I need for Faye to get back to her island - back to Florida. The archaeology is still interesting the story is well-written. Joe is still around and a great character. This was not quite the story I wanted it to be.
Rebecca Harris
Sep 29, 2015 Rebecca Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a professional archaeologist who has worked in the SE US, I felt as if I was having my own experience documented! I enjoyed this very much and was impressed that this book wasn't written by an archaeologist!
Sandy
Dec 29, 2010 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is the second of Mary Anna Evans books I have read. I find them fascinating because of the research aspect. I was amazed to learn about the ancient american sites to be found in the Southeast US. I was thinking that all the early people had been in the West.
Camille
Nov 03, 2007 Camille rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: murder mystery buffs; folks with background in history/prehistory
Similar to Tony Hillerman! I loved watching the confrontations among the local farmers, the local Native Americans and the non-local archeology students. Comparing it to my experiences made it real all over again. I could see the land from the top of the mound - I was right there!
Kirsten Lenius
Sep 23, 2012 Kirsten Lenius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent Faye Longchamp story. The author has given us well-developed characters who are complex and engaging. That alone would make me want to know what happens to them next. Add an interesting story, built on historical fact and it holds your attention. It is well worth the read.
Emily Wallace
Feb 14, 2016 Emily Wallace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like these books. These books are my guilty reading pleasure. Not hard to read. Fun. Faye is a great character. These books are not without flaws, but I love them. They are about adults,but high school kids might really like these books.
Patti
Good mystery with lots of historical facts. Great characters and a plot that keeps you guessing. I loved it so much I'm now reading Artifacts by the same author. Would suggest you start with Artifacts then read Effigies as that is the order they were written.
  • Tensleep (Em Hansen Mystery, #1)
  • The Thai Amulet (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #7)
  • Grave Consequences (An Emma Fielding Mystery #2)
  • Disturbing the Dead (Rachel Goddard Mystery, #2)
  • A Fit of Tempera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #6)
  • When Will the Dead Lady Sing? (Thoroughly Southern, #6)
  • Little Tiny Teeth (Gideon Oliver, #14)
  • In The Dead of Winter (Ivy Towers, #1)
  • Lovely in Her Bones (Elizabeth MacPherson, #2)
Mary Anna Evans has degrees in physics and engineering, but her heart is in the past. Her series character, Faye Longchamp, lives the exciting life of an archaeologist, and Mary Anna envies her a little. Wounded Earth, features environmentalist Larabeth McLeod in a duel to the death against a stalker who calls himself Babykiller. Her Faye Longchamp archaeological mysteries include Artifacts, Relic ...more
More about Mary Anna Evans...

Faye Longchamp (10 books)
  • Artifacts (Faye Longchamp, #1)
  • Relics (Faye Longchamp, #2)
  • Findings (Faye Longchamp, #4)
  • Floodgates (Faye Longchamp, #5)
  • Strangers (Faye Longchamp, #6)
  • Plunder (Faye Longchamp, #7)
  • Rituals (Faye Longchamp, #8)
  • Isolation (Faye Longchamp, #9)
  • Burials (Faye Longchamp #10)