Start by marking “Love and Haight” as Want to Read:
Love and Haight

Love and Haight

It’s 1971, and seventeen-year-old Chloe and her best friend MJ head to San Francisco to ring in the New Year. But Chloe has an ulterior motive—and a secret. She’s pregnant and has devised a plan not to be. In San Francisco’s flower-power heyday, it was (just about) legal to end her pregnancy.

But as soon as the girls cross the Golden Gate, the scheme starts to unravel
Published March 13th 2012 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Love and Haight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love and Haight

Andrew Hicks
Mar 18, 2014 Andrew Hicks rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
This is a novel about a girl trying to get an abortion. Accordingly, I should've terminated my readership during the book's first trimester, but I read it full-term. I lost custody of it shortly after.
Aysia Schroeder
Oct 31, 2013 Aysia Schroeder rated it really liked it
"Love and Haight", is a book that takes place in the 70's. The book is about 17 year old, Chloe, who is traveling to California with her best friend MJ over New Year's. At first MJ thinks they are just going to party hard with Chloe's Aunt Kiki, but on the way there MJ finds out Chloe's real plan. In the 70's there were only two states in the U.S that allowed what Chloe needed, an abortion. Since, Chloe and MJ are from Arizona and her Aunt lives in Sacramento she came up with the perfect plan. F ...more
Maria Kramer
It's a heady time in San Francisco in the early 1970's, and Chole and MJ are caught in the thick of it. Ostensibly, they've gone to visit Chloe's free-spirited aunt Kiki, but Chloe has an ulterior motive. She's pregnant, and in San Francisco it's (barely) legal for her to have an abortion.

As a pro-life person, it is really hard for me to write an unbiased review of this book, because reading it felt like reading a book where you know the main character will commit suicide at the end. You keep s
Jun 17, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
Sian Lile-Pastore
Jul 31, 2013 Sian Lile-Pastore rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I thought this was really lovely. It's got quite a simple plot - girl goes to san francisco to get an abortion (it's 1971), but it's really captivating. plus, I adore san franciso in 1971 (and all the other years too).
Bonnie (Words at Home Blog)
Review originally posted on May 16, 2012 on Words at Home blog: http://www.wordsathome.ca/2012/05/lov...

Love & Haight is a fun, and slightly tripped out, walk through the streets of San Francisco in 1971. It touches on family connections, love lost and love found, friendship and what it takes to really know yourself and follow your convictions. Love & Haight is written in a deliciously witty and psychedelic narrative that makes it a completely enjoyable and entirely too quick read.

I was
Angel
You can find this review and many more at Mermaid Vision Books!

Release Date: March 13, 2012
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. (Macmillan)
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 192
Format: Hardcover
Source: ARC received from publisher

Tell Me More: With the exception of Go Ask Alice, there are very few YA novels that attempt to tell the story of kids faced with the temptations of drugs, sex and "free love" in the last five decades. The taboo subjects that were only whispered about in the 1970s are now blurted out
Liralen
Jan 06, 2014 Liralen rated it liked it
San Francisco, the tail end of 1971. Chloe's on a road trip with her best friend, MJ, but Chloe has plans beyond a fun winter break: California is one of the few places where she can legally get an abortion.

I read it because of the timing -- am still going through a 60s and 70s phase, thanks in no small part to Left on Pearl. For Chloe, though, the 70s aren't a time of revolution and protests and action (at least, not so far...she has most of the 70s left). Instead she's facing a difficult situa
Meredith
Dec 10, 2012 Meredith rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen-literature
Britta
Jan 13, 2012 Britta rated it liked it
I love historical fiction! Okay, the seventies was not that long ago, but that decade is completely different from now (or any other time really). While the story didn't completely grab me, the setting sure did.

Chloe is seventeen and pregnant. More specifically, Chloe is seventeen and pregnant and does not plan to be for much longer. She travels to San Francisco with her best friend to get an abortion where it is legal (although there are a few hoops to jump through). While there though, things
Laurie
Sep 12, 2013 Laurie rated it liked it
Chloe is seventeen and pregnant- even though she used protection the one and only time she had sex. It’s 1971 and Roe v Wade is still two years in the future, and abortion is only legal in California and New York. Chloe lives in Arizona. Lucky for her, she has an aunt who lives in San Francisco and a friend willing to take a road trip with her over winter break. So Chloe and MJ find themselves in ‘Frisco with no real idea where aunt Kiki lives, unable to get hold of her by phone, and it’s gettin ...more
Ed
Jul 15, 2014 Ed rated it really liked it
Long hair, cool shades, bellbottom jeans, paisley and tie-dyed shirts with the smells of sage and marijuana in the air. The sounds of the Grateful Dead, the Jefferson Airplane, the Doors and the Allman Brothers for the soundtrack. It’s Peace, Love, Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll! … with a catch.

Love & Haight by Susan Carlton dives deep into the heart of late 60s and early 70s hippie culture in San Francisco’s famous Haight Ashbury neighborhood. Seventeen year old Chloe is headed to spend “Ch
Kira FlowerChild
This was not a bad book, but it did not evoke the atmosphere of the era as I experienced it. In the author's bio it states she did not come of age during the hippie era, so the book gives the impression of someone who is writing about something she has heard of and read about, not something she experienced. Obviously this would be an unreasonable expectation of a book set in the distant past, but I would have liked to have felt more immersed in the culture of the era, since it is set during a pe ...more
Bailey (IB Book Blogging)
LOVE AND HAIGHT isn't your average YA novel. It deals with some very heavy and taboo concepts that a lot of people aren't willing to acknowledge. I'm still not quite sure what to say or how I feel about it. It definitely brought out some raw emotions in me and I felt like Carlton attempted to handle the situation as well as she could. LOVE AND HAIGHT isn't one of my favorite YA novels, but I grew on it.

Chloe is one messed up 17-year-old when the novel opens. She has a very difficult decision to
Jessie
Jul 13, 2015 Jessie rated it liked it
Shelves: books-13-25
The novel is set in the early 1970's; the era of marijuana, bell bottomed pants, flower power, and women's rights. Teenagers Chloe and MJ are headed to San Francisco for their winter with more than a vacation on their minds: Chloe is going to get an abortion. But even though San Fran is the only city in which abortion is legal, Chloe finds it harder than she expected. MJ, her devout Catholic best friend and a whole check list of things to do before the abortion make it hard for Chloe to decide w ...more
Kim
Feb 10, 2017 Kim rated it really liked it
This was an easy enough read about a young girl who goes to San Francisco in the early 70's to get an abortion. Although the story centers around her dealing with that, there are other themes and characters tied in. I liked this book well enough but I don't think I would have liked it as much if it didn't take place in early 70's San Francisco! I also really liked Chloe's "hippy dippy" aunt Kiki...I thought she added some flavor to the book.
Ms. Yingling
Mar 18, 2012 Ms. Yingling rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This book is definitely YA, but a couple of years ago I had a student who really wanted to read about hippies in the 60s and 70s, and I still pick up books thinking about her! From a social history perspective, this was very interesting-- Chloe is pregnant, and abortion is legal in San Francisco in 1971 as long as certain procedures are followed. Chloe and her friend MJ go to spend Christmas break with Chloe's aunt while Chloe is going to all the appointments and getting all the paperwork in ord ...more
Patricia
San Francisco, 1971, the era of hippies, drugs & "free love", where Chloe has gone to seek a legal abortion after a "slip-up" with a casual boyfriend. I had some problems with the portrayal of the time & place, being from that era & having visited S.F. during "the summer of love- 1967", when I was 21, including Haight St. This novel deals with a real problem for teen girls- whether or not to have an abortion- but the characters mostly seem shallow & rather idiotic, the way they f ...more
Mary McCoy
May 02, 2012 Mary McCoy rated it really liked it
Not only does this book address abortion head-on without the cop-outs you usually see in books and television shows (e.g. the conveniently-timed miscarriage that absolves the writer of any tough decision-making), it walks readers step by step through what a 17-year-old girl would have gone through to get an abortion in 1971. I've never read anything like it before, and for that alone, I'd recommend it.

Carlton explores the issues through some very realistically conflicted characters. Politics are
Kathryn Burak
Dec 31, 2011 Kathryn Burak rated it it was amazing
Th 70's play so authentically in the background of this story, it's hard to believe the novel was written now. I found I was hooked on Chloe's story on page 6 and knew I wasn't going to put the book down until I knew what she was going to do about This, as she calls her unwanted pregnancy. Carlton makes Chloe someone you both care about and have faith in, and the other characters in the book are equally compelling in their own ways. I would be happy to read more about Chloe, and certainly lots m ...more
Anna
Jul 30, 2013 Anna rated it liked it
Recommends it for: YA readers
Sex (sort of...a pregnant 17 year old, her mother and aunt somewhat grappling with reproductive rights, love and freedom), drugs (it is the Haight in San Francisco after all and the 70s) and rock n' roll (a constant playlist as the characters sing lyrics or play records on the turntable of their favorite musicians such as the Doors, Jefferson Airplane, et al). Historical fiction and a glimpse into the liberal political attitudes before the passage of Roe v. Wade.
Pat
Apr 22, 2012 Pat rated it it was ok
It is definitely a YA book. I'm not sure the subject matter would be appropriate in a school library but I think it would be okay in a public library. It seems as if drugs and abortions would come up as a topic of discussion (and the parents of our students are just not ready for that to happen in a school setting). I grew up during this time and drugs and abortion was not the only thing about 60s that was memorable but this book will make young people think that is all there was to that era.
Veronica
Two stars because she throws a Bowie album out the window... just kidding. If this book had been longer, I do not think I would have bothered to finish it. But when you've read 90 pages and you're over halfway done, it's embarrassing if it's left unfinished. However, I really enjoyed the sneak peek into 1970s San Francisco, but several of the references (especially to the music of the time) felt forced.
Emily
Mar 20, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: review-books

Risqué is what comes to mind and that is sad in 2012... Because I know I will have parents who object to the subject matter of this book. I haven't let it stop me before and I hardly think this will be the book that makes a censor out of me. Abortion in 1971 was as controversial as it is I'm 2012. We haven't come very far at all....
Anyway, good solid book with like able characters and believable plot and dialogue. It was easy to read.
LaQuita (Just Us Girls)
This was an interesting book. I was a little disturbed by some of the choices but it did help me understand what a difference life is like before or even just after pro-choice came into effect. I wasn’t alive in the ’70s so it’s crazy how differently the same circumstances today would be both judged and handled. I do think it was a good book. It was easy to read and understand.
Victoria
Mar 06, 2012 Victoria rated it it was amazing
With subject matter that is even more relevant in today's political climate, this alternately hilarious and provocative novel is a pleasure to read and a pleasure to recommend. While the protagonist is a teen, many adults will relate to her growing maturity in the face of adversity. The supporting characters behave (and misbehave) with convincing realism, and Carlton's deft humor keeps the proceedings from becoming grim or preachy. Highly recommended!
Chelsea
Feb 20, 2015 Chelsea rated it liked it
It was an enjoyable read, but it felt too light in respect to the topics being dealt with. Not enough character development or emotion was portrayed. I was really hoping this book would delve more into the hippie culture and world that was going on around her, but not much was explained. But overall, it was an alright book.
Brandi Young
The 70s gave many people the chance to be free and enjoy themselves in ways they never thought possible. Chloe and MJ travel to California for the chance for Chloe to have an abortion. However nothing happens as planned and Chloe ends up involving more people than she ever thought she would in her decision.
Peacegal
May 12, 2012 Peacegal rated it liked it
Well, the author certainly did her research for this one. This novel is practically a showcase of all that was new, hip, happenin' or just around in the early 1970s. (Which is made even more impressive by the fact the author wasn't around for the hippie era.)

I was glad the storyline did not turn out preachy, as it easily could have, and managed a realistic ending.
Marilla
Apr 01, 2012 Marilla rated it it was amazing
I thought Love and Haight was super groovy! The book pushes the envelope a little of YA literature, but was a great story! I would recommend this book to a more mature YA reader, or someone who is looking to start some interesting conversations about women's health.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Bad Boy
  • For What It's Worth
  • Fire in the Streets (The Rock and the River, #2)
  • Supergirl Mixtapes
  • Riding Out the Storm
  • Catch & Release
  • Jam on the Vine
  • The Book of the Night (Libyrinth, #3)
  • Beige
  • The Right and the Real
  • A Certain October
  • My Book of Life by Angel
  • Have a Nice Day (Anna Bloom, #2)
  • Zero