Start by marking “The Food of Italy” as Want to Read:
The Food of Italy

The Food of Italy

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  4 reviews
To read this book is not just to learn the proper preparation for lasagna and risotto, but also to encounter the Medicis, to witness an opulent banquet for two, and to learn the fables surrounding the origin of tortellini.
Published June 2nd 1992 by Vintage (first published August 12th 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Food of Italy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Food of Italy

Leftbanker
Reading this is almost as much fun as eating. I got my recipe for mussel soup (Zuppa di cozze) from this guy and I have been making it for years and years. I would love to read this book again but it is stored away back in the States somewhere. I think I also picked up my recipe for tomato sauce from Mr. Root.

I write a lot about the food of Spain and I would love to expand it into a book some day. One thing that I have learned about living in Europe is to respect food. It isn't something just t...more
Patrick O'Connell
My suspicion is that you have to love food and history to love this book. It is a long book and I keep picking it up and putting it down, but never stop enjoying reading it.

We may call it ciappino, but every region of Italy seems to have its own version of fish stew.

Did you know that the Roman Army survived on a diet of Polenta? But then it was made from wheat, not corn.
Jerome Baladad
This book is kinda long read, actually, especially if you're not fond of, nor familiar with technical aspects of cooking. But really, I learned a lot from it (particularly about sausages, hams, cheeses, wines). It's a great introduction to Italian history and culture, more than anything else.
Mark
always reading and re-reading. never stopping. never wanting to.
Joao Silva
Joao Silva marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Dina Samson
Dina Samson marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
crs
crs marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Charles Carlini
Charles Carlini marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Mackenzie
Mackenzie marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Sapiah Uyuni
Sapiah Uyuni marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
kasia
kasia marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2013
Rod
Rod added it
Dec 15, 2013
Toni NB
Toni NB marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
erica wissick
erica wissick marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Azohun
Azohun marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013
Stephen Bruce
Stephen Bruce marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2013
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Food of France The Cooking of Italy Food by Waverley Root: An Authoritative and Visual History and Dictionary of the Foods of the World The Paris Edition, 1927-1934 Secret History of the War  v.1