Start by marking “Haunts of Mackinac: Ghost Stories, Legends, & Tragic Tales of Mackinac Island” as Want to Read:
Haunts of Mackinac: Ghost Stories, Legends, & Tragic Tales of Mackinac Island

Haunts of Mackinac: Ghost Stories, Legends, & Tragic Tales of Mackinac Island

Mackinac Island, known for its fudge, history, and natural beauty, has attracted visitors for generations. The lure of the Island has made it the top tourist destination in the state of Michigan. However, Mackinac Island holds many secrets. These secrets come in many forms—some from beyond the grave, others passed down for hundreds of years.

If you have been to Mackinac Isl

Published August 31st 2006 by House of Hawthorne Pub.

To ask other readers questions about Haunts of Mackinac, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haunts of Mackinac

Loren
Aug 19, 2010 Loren rated it really liked it
Shelves: morbid-books
I'm a fan of small, locally produced books of legends. Haunts of Mackinac collects Native American legends and ghost stories which span the island's history from its French fur trapping days, through the British occupation of its fort and the War of 1812, past the influx of American missionaries into the current tourist trade. Some of these stories gave me goosebumps, which was exactly what I wanted from it.

The book's introduction takes time to define ghosts. It should have also given an overvie
Constance Eve
Jul 05, 2015 Constance Eve rated it it was amazing
This book was a joy to read. There were a lot of fascinating stories, not only about ghosts, but Indian legends and shipwrecks of the Great Lakes. The photos and drawings were a nice touch too and added to the overall eeriness of the book. If you've ever been to Mackinac Island or plan to visit there in the future, then this book is a must and will add to all the fun, leisure and intrigue that this island from another century offers.
Michael
Oct 11, 2009 Michael rated it liked it
Legend, myth, tall-tale, what-have-you...this book is filled with haunted happenings around the Mackinac area. The story "The Woman Who Weeps" is particularly interesting, especially if you can rise early enough when visiting the island to try and catch a glimpse of her.
Stacey
Mar 18, 2013 Stacey rated it really liked it
I didn't know books still had typos in this day and age, but technical errors aside I found the stories very entertaining. I picked up an autographed copy when I was on the island in May.
Nicole
Aug 29, 2009 Nicole rated it liked it
It was interesting because I was learning about history at the same time I was learning about ghosts.
Kristen
Jan 27, 2011 Kristen rated it liked it
This is another one that my husband saw in a gift shop on Mackinac Island and we checked it out from the library when we got home. It was interesting and entertaining.
Kmeger
Nov 22, 2010 Kmeger rated it really liked it
Very Interesting. I can't wait until I go back to Mackinaw Island next fall, and visit all the haunted places I read about in this book.
Peggy
Jul 26, 2009 Peggy rated it really liked it
I was actually loaned a copy of this book to read. Now I must buy my own copy and plan a trip to Mackinac and check out all the haunts!
Lizz
Feb 03, 2010 Lizz rated it liked it
Recommended to Lizz by: Market Street Inn, Mackinac Island, MI
Although this book had some real good historical notes, the supernatural information was minimal and often contained undocumented sources.
Joseph Pinchback
Joseph Pinchback rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2011
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2012
Norma Smith
Norma Smith rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2014
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2012
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was ok
Nov 12, 2016
Carl
Carl rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2012
Mitch Rowland
Mitch Rowland rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2014
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Bruce
Bruce rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2010
Mini
Mini rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Ellen
Ellen rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2015
Mo
Mo rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Sandie
Mar 22, 2015 Sandie rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Short book, 162 pages; all haunts from Mackinac Island. Was okay; also included shipwreck stories.
Rebecca Cifaldi
Rebecca Cifaldi rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2015
Sonnet Quinn
Sonnet Quinn rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Mags
Mags rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2011
Chris
Chris rated it it was ok
Sep 01, 2013
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2007
Meghan Sochocki
Meghan Sochocki rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Sharon Littleton
Sharon Littleton rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2014